• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2991 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

Ahoy New Players! Reply to this Post

Alpha island be clamborin' with new Men (an' Women!) o' Fortune these days, an' 'ey all find a need t'ask some o' the same questions. Now, t'ain't a thing wrong wiv askin' an' so here's a fine place fer it (an' more).
This thread be fer ye fresh swabs lookin' t'plan yer first crews, ask questions without embarassment an' otherwise get yer feet wet in the deep an' swift waters o' the Puzzle Pirates Forum.

Some quick explanations, a lot of which Cleaver already covered in yer e-mail:

The game be in Alpha stage, after which comes Beta and then Launch (or Release) an' then various other updates an' expansions. We issue many "releases" of new material as we go, but the big Release is still a ways off.

Sometimes we'll need to wipe things (like all o' yer clothes, or gold, etc.). We'll warn ye, but this be a free Alpha test an' we need t'do that sort o' thing to find out things we need to know.

The newest bits o' the game be the large-scale tradin'. A lot o' what ye do in shops be in its first phase an' can be a bit confusin' at first (while things like the Sword Puzzle 'ave been refined over many updates). If ye just started an' all the shop interfaces be muddlin' yer brain, go play some puzzles an' job on some ships first. Come back when yer comfortable.

Above all, be piratey. Git yerself a piratey name (if yer current one be dissatisfyin' to ye, ye can just make a new character an' ye will lose next t'nothin' in the transfer) an' start sayin' "Yar!" an' "Avast!" an' "Ye jack-an-apes, I'll keelhaul ye an' send ye overboard t'Davy Jones!"

So, anyway, mateys, post 'ere fer introductions, beginnin' questions an' the like, an' by all means, enjoy the pirate life!

-Barnaby
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemo at May 7, 2003 7:50:38 AM]
[May 7, 2003 7:50:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

owning a first ship Reply to this Post

of course it be the goal of any pirate to have their own vessel.

i be wonderin' what it takes to own me own vessel - i've been here about a week now and am up to close to 2k poe, and a friend that's also started out has about the same. i see that we be gettin' close to the minimum price of a vessel...

if i buy a ship,
is there any upkeep cost?
will i be pillaged and plundered often in my travels?
how does it work with being part of another crew (i'm in a different crew)
what kind of differences exist between the different ships besides number of stations?

one more question:
will the game remain free?

thanks!

yo ho
dc
Not everything I think is something I should say...
[May 7, 2003 8:43:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

Re: Ahoy New Players! Reply to this Post

Q. If i buy a ship, is there any upkeep cost?

A. Yes. Rum, cannonballs, and hired NPPS all cost money. I suppose technically you could get by without cannonballs, and with a large active crew NPPs arent going to cost you much. But you'll always need rum.

Q. will i be pillaged and plundered often in my travels?

A. I suppose that would depend on how you define 'often'. It depends on who else is playing. Some pirates don't like the challenge of taking on live opponents, while others seek only such sport. Guess what kind I am and win a prize.

Q. how does it work with being part of another crew (i'm in a different crew)

A. I cant say I fully understand this question.. if you mean can you work for a different crew than your own? Most captains seem to allow this, it's your choice.

Q. what kind of differences exist between the different ships besides number of stations?

A. As I believe it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the main differences in ship size are hold capacity and speed. IE a small sloop is theoretically the fastest ship, but has the lowest hold capacity. Again, I'm not 100% sure if this is true, or if it just SEEMS to be the case.
[May 7, 2003 9:42:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Re: owning a first ship Reply to this Post

DonCarnage wrote: 
will i be pillaged and plundered often in my travels?

Like Cellophane said, it all depends on who else is sailing the seas at the same time as you. However, one thing is for certain: pillaging other PP crews is not nearly as profitable as pillaging NPP trade ships. Thus, even if you are engaged by a rival crew and fail to repel them, your losses will be quite negligible.

will the game remain free?

It was my understanding that the game will turn pay-to-play after Beta has completed, and that the price will be competitive/affordable.

That said, I do believe the end of Beta is still a ways off, so I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[May 7, 2003 9:52:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

First round of new player answers Reply to this Post

The first answer I must make is that the game will certainly not be free forever. We developers don't enjoy ramen that much. However, the final price will be modest and resourceful brigands such as yourselves should have no trouble finding the necessary pieces of eight. The Launch phase will signify the beginning of pay for you and the beginning of three square meals for us.

As for ships, one thing to keep in mind is that ships are crew property. Regardless of who purchases a ship, anyone in that player's crew can now board it freely. Of course, if you start your own crew, this is not an issue. But, if you are already in a crew and don't intend to start one you should consider the value. Buying your own ship may be nice, but if your crew doesn't need a new ship, the expenditure may not be worth it.
Ships themselves require no upkeep, but using them does. Oceangoing crews consume rum and will perform below their abilities if deprived of their drink. Cannonballs are quite useful in naval battles and also cost money. Shortly, repairs to your ship (if you are damaged in battle, or just from wear and tear) will actually consume wood, so keeping a supply of lumber onboard will also drain your purse.

Any time you venture off an island, you run the risk of high-seas piracy. I'll allow a far-sailing captain to comment on the frequency of these attacks, but you should always keep your wits about you. If you are attacked, have no fear. Your ship won't be sunk and you will always be able to limp home and enact repairs. Also, attackers can only take a small percentage of your posessions, so you won't be cleaned out if you lose a battle.

Ship differences involve hold size, number of stations, maximum crew, maximum cannon (and cannon type), orientation of stations, damage accumulation, number of beds (currently not relevant), and general impressiveness.

-Nemo
[May 7, 2003 9:57:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

upkeep costs, being pillaged, etc. Reply to this Post

I've been recommending that people start out with 10K or so for their crew. Just an estimate, but I seem to spend about 3K setting up for a pillage-and-trade voyage, plus I like to go out with about 30 units of rum, which is another 1K. I'd recommend pillage-and-trade with the large sloop, which costs 6K, as it actually has room for a reasonable volume of raw materials, and you can load up enough fighters to fight off attacks. Get at least one great sailor.

As far as being pillaged, with all these new crews out there, there are many who seem eager to pillage other player ships, so ye can expect one or two attacks at least. If ye go with the large sloop with a goodly number of fighters, ye'll have a good chance of winning the fight.

Player-vs-player can be a lot of fun, when the teams are about even. I find it to be just time consuming when I'm out to make money, however, since, as Frederico says, player ships tend to be substantially poorer. Tip here: if you're about to lose a battle, grab all the cash out of your hold before the battle is over - that will reduce what gets taken from you. (This won't hold true forever, I hear). In addition, make sure to divide the booty whenever you get to port. Don't try to trade too much if you're understaffed, as your profits will get eaten up by the looting.

Oh, and Frederico, I know ye've turned a profit...*grin*.
[May 7, 2003 10:43:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Quick question about the different ships...I know that the bigger ones are bigger <g> and hold more people, but do they perform worse if understaffed?

Example: I want to pillage and trade with 2 other pirates...is there a performance issue that you need to have at least x number of bodies to take a larger ship out or you can't travel as fast, so you'd be better taking a small sloop, as if you took the larger one you wouldn't be able to catch anyone? And if there is a certain number of players needed to make it worthwhile, how many is the minimum recommended for the different type of ships?
[May 7, 2003 11:09:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Re: upkeep costs, being pillaged, etc. Reply to this Post

muffy wrote: 
Oh, and Frederico, I know ye've turned a profit...*grin*.

Perhaps, but you'd be surprised how much cash is eaten up when you accidentally buy a Small Sloop. *sighs deeply*

...Might I suggest some sort of medium in which to 'sell back' ships? In addition to my unwanted sloop, I believe ARR has some bugged ships that might serve us better as Pieces of Eight.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[May 7, 2003 11:47:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

staffing yer ship Reply to this Post

There seems to be a problem with brigs, in that only five npps will work on them. For the large sloop, I usually staff it up fully in case I'm attacked, but in fact if ye have all 12 pirates on that it will hold, it's tough to put them all to work. You certainly want one to bilge and one to carpent, and it's nice to have all five sailing positions filled, but you can get away with just one or two, if you're just trading (and not expecting to be attacked) or moving yer ship around. As with everything, it depends on your goals.
[May 7, 2003 12:50:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

One of the Parrot Heads' brigs won't pay out booty! We pillaged to Winter, but there's no options for the booty chests...some unhappy jobbers after that run I would guess.
[May 7, 2003 6:48:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

large ships with no booty chest Reply to this Post

Aye, there was a bug with the first large ships after the update. Me crew has two of 'em...*sigh*.
[May 7, 2003 10:41:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

is it a challenge? Reply to this Post

I must ask, Cellophane, as ye strike me as an honest pirate. Do ye actually find it a challenge to take yer ship full of 12 very good to great fighters and experienced pirates up against a ship of 7 pirates? I have not found it to be so as yet, and that, combined with the lack of pillage, makes me continue to be uninterested in attacking other players. Now, YE are a challenge, and I'm happy to attack ye when I've got a moment and an opportunity, but that's fun because I know ye're very likely to beat me, and that's where the "challenge" part comes, for me.
[May 7, 2003 11:07:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Shipping questions Reply to this Post

Well, this has steered nearly fully away from my original intent, but so be it.

Larger ships do require larger minimum crews. A brig, say, will take damage more slowly than a small sloop, but once it is damaged, it takes a much more concerted carpentry effort to repair it. A brig also needs more sailors to move at the same speed as a small sloop, but can add more sailors on top of that, and carry more of everything, and have more guns, etc. So, one shouldn't say "I want to go fast so I should get X ship." Instead, "My crew generally has this many pirates on and so should field X ship to fit our numbers."

And as for Muffy's gold-smuggling techniques, indeed, that should become obsolete within a few days.

-Nemo
[May 8, 2003 1:49:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

no more smuggling??! Reply to this Post

I do hope the bank will be in operation before me pocket can be picked! Or can I get a ship built with a secret compartment? *smile*
[May 8, 2003 2:21:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

I can and do lose sea battles on occasion. Just the other day Xel gave me a pretty sound thrashing. So there's always the element of risk. If someone's out without enough crew, that isn't MY problem, its theirs for being unprepared. I put in a good amount of time assembling my crew before I go out to sea, and it pays off in the long run.
[May 8, 2003 4:00:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Re; is it a challenge? Reply to this Post

Humm, well, I guess it's different for everyone. I don't find battle in the large sloop exciting the way it was in the small sloop, except with ye, of course, Cellophane...*smile*. Still, I'm sure it'll get more exciting with all these fine new players on!
[May 8, 2003 6:28:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hameron

Arr, DonCarnage, me mate! Send me one of those good ol' messages in a bottle whene'r ye can (mudmail or piratemail, if'n ye can! )... ah'm mighty eager to learn the ways of a pirate!
Arrrrr!
As I sail each mighty sea
Bright treasure I do seek.
A lass upon my knee,
Of my charm does speak.
I'll drink me rum and bellow,
'Avast! Me piratey fellow!'
It'll do yer heart good to be a
Pirate like me!
[May 8, 2003 6:45:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Renee

Arrr I be with Hameron on this one, Send me a pigeon
Renee Officer of ARR
Minx Pirate of the Black Widows
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Renee at May 8, 2003 3:29:10 PM]
[May 8, 2003 3:29:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jin

ARRRR...yes same with me to... I doth be willin to sail with ye DonCarnage....
[May 10, 2003 2:54:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hameron

DC's awesome, and he's gathering quite a following :P
Arrrrr!
As I sail each mighty sea
Bright treasure I do seek.
A lass upon my knee,
Of my charm does speak.
I'll drink me rum and bellow,
'Avast! Me piratey fellow!'
It'll do yer heart good to be a
Pirate like me!
[May 10, 2003 3:42:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

but i be new! Reply to this Post

not tryin' to bring everyone on board with me (yet...harhahrhar!)

i suggest to all ye knew players from the land of wotmud, to join up with a crew to start...in the future when we all be more experienced, then we shall arrange to own the waters as the blundering plunderers!
[May 10, 2003 1:38:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spartacus

Stow-away Reply to this Post

Perhaps ye'll not be wanting us, DC, but we'll stowaway if we be needing to. Face it, you screwed up when you got Chosen :p
[May 11, 2003 3:34:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

me followin' Reply to this Post

whoa whoa whoa - im not sayin im not wantin a crew - im just sayin i not be ready yet!
[May 11, 2003 1:32:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Binky

When you get a ship, DonCarnage, you'll need someone to scurry down in the deepest, darkest, dankest, dirtiest...well, you know the idea, and climb up to the highest masts to fetch your parrot. That would be Binky.
[May 13, 2003 10:26:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rodin

Rodin! Reply to this Post

Everyone needs an insane pirate ;)

I'll spend me money in all the taverns on all the wenches!
[May 15, 2003 12:44:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates