• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10507 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
hiohjiggyoh

Cottage XML Files Don't Load in Yohoho Tools Reply to this Post

I've tried the different scenes and following the directions on the XML help page but they won't open!
----------------------------------------
Dinosaur
[Aug 8, 2019 8:52:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vanleigh

Re: Cottage XML Files Don't Load in Yohoho Tools Reply to this Post

Just to be clear, are you positive that what you're getting from yppedia is a .xml file? There's something wrong with some of the links, so here goes my workaround. I use Firefox, but if you use any other browser you should be able to come up with equivalent steps.

On the cottage page, if you hover your mouse over the Download XML link, you'll see in your lower left corner you'll find the URL to which the link goes, like,

You need to copy that address. You right-click the link, and select the relevant option,

Lastly, you edit that URL to look like,
https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Left_Cottage_Main_Room.xml

There it will look like this..

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<scene name="Left-facing Cottage Main Room" version="1" type="rooms">

<spot defaultEntranceId="3">
<portal portalId="2" x="-2400" y="-998" orient="5" name="2"/>
<portal portalId="1" x="-1898" y="-700" orient="7" name="1"/>
<portal portalId="3" x="-2400" y="-498" orient="1" name="3"/></spot>
<miso>

MORE STUFF GOES IN HERE, UNTIL

</section>
</sections>
</miso>

</scene>

You want to copy that text into a plain text file, and that's your xml
Vanleigh in Obsidian
Royal of Placeholder

If my posts do not reflect the views of the flag, the mind control chip provided to all our members will ensure that our views shift accordingly.
[Aug 9, 2019 8:15:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hiohjiggyoh

omg.

You want to copy that text into a plain text file, and that's your xml

Saving it as an .xml was the problem! The Help:XML files says to save it as an .xml but, at least for me, saving it as a plain text fixed it.

Thanks much!
Dinosaur
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hiohjiggyoh at Aug 9, 2019 1:17:26 PM]
[Aug 9, 2019 1:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vanleigh

In principle that shouldn't matter, as Yohoho Tools is supposed (in theory) to parse the contents of the file the same way regardless of whether it ends on .xml or not. Under the hood both are plain text files.

My guess is that the issue is the link. When (I think that) it should lead to the page with the grey box containing the xml with the scene data, it offers a download for a .php file that starts:

{{Xml|Left_Cottage_Main_Room}}

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<scene name="Left-facing Cottage Main Room" version="1" type="rooms">

Note the first line that shouldn't be there. This, I believe, is what breaks the program. And the fact that this is xml instead of php.

Also, on the correct page the box with the code doesn't start at the beginning of the xml file (<?xml version=...) but a couple lines in.
Vanleigh in Obsidian
Royal of Placeholder

If my posts do not reflect the views of the flag, the mind control chip provided to all our members will ensure that our views shift accordingly.
[Aug 9, 2019 2:30:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates