• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1032 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Misfortuned

Warehouses

So the other day I was going through the storage ships, looking our stockpile of sugar cane for our distillery. And since we have several Storage Ships, it can get pretty hectic, especially when several people can access said ships and move commodities around. And that got me thinking...

Is it possible to implement a Warehouse Building? Where you can easily access the commodities and transfer them to whichever shoppe or ship ye want? Something with a lot more capacity than a Grand Frigate. Where you can truly stockpile goods. The system could be similar to that of stalls as to avoid islands becoming cluttered with warehouses.
There could even be several warehouse sizes:

Small Warehouse: x2 capacity of GF (1,620,000 liters)
Medium Warehouse: x4 capacity of GF (3,240,000 liters)
Deluxe Warehouse: x8 capacity of GF (6,480,000 liters)

It could also have a direct connection to the island market bidding/market.

Another positive aspect would be the facilitation of managing several shoppes with other people/crew. This way the commoditites would be safe and only be accessible to the warehouse/shoppe managers!

I looked around and I didn't see anyone ask this question before. If someone did and it missed me, I'm sorry!

EDIT: I toyed around a bit with the Scene Editor and came up with a sketch.

----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Misfortuned at Apr 16, 2019 5:01:58 AM]
[Apr 16, 2019 4:02:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Warehouses

I looked around and I didn't see anyone ask this question before. If someone did and it missed me, I'm sorry!

typing "warehouse" into the yppedia will get you a long list of warehouse threads. Lots of useful in the yppedia. For this subject, another useful link is List of commodity storage capacities of ships

In my experience, warehouses wouldn't be that much of an improvement. For most products in most stores, a sloop can give all the extra storage you need. With four shops on a single island, I got by with a MB.

Sure, the prices of sugar cane varies from maybe 4-5PoE/unit to sometimes over 8PoE/unit which is a whoping 100% range, but since a GF only holds 8100 units of cane, you are still only talking about 32k PoE. To break even on the price of a GF, you have to do quite a few price cycles, which can take years. A warehouse would have rent, which would eat away most, if not all of the advantage.

Even though the price swings on cane is "large", it is still pretty small compared to all the other costs of making booze, like labor and rent. If the cost of sugar cane is really that significant, you are probably better off opening a store on an island where cane (and wood) are cheap and shipping the resulting booze to a small stall where booze is selling for a hight price. I once had a small distillery stall that made tens of thousands of PoE/week and never made a drop of booze.

There are several of ways of getting "free" storage:

First, if you are near a bid market, you can place lots of bid tickets when prices are cheap and then deliver them when prices are expensive.

Second, if it isn't worth your time to ship cane (and it usually isn't), when the <merchant> bots deliver cane cheaply, fill up your store's queue with orders. Both options let you get many GF's worth of storage for free.

A third option that I used was to use my blockade fleet as storage. This is only useful if you are the owner of the island where your stores are and are willing to risk losing the stock if you get blockaded.

As a governor, I also used the palace and estate agent to act as a warehouse for the entire island, buying low and selling a little higher so that any store can get bulky goods. But, of course, you can also restrict them to just yourself.

Edit: Oh, another option I used was to open a furnisher and use its huge hold capacity. That means that that you have to make enough profit off the furnisher to pay its high rent and furnishers are complicated.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Apr 16, 2019 7:00:41 AM]
[Apr 16, 2019 6:42:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Re: Warehouses

I don't think the original poster's intent was profit by flipping - it was storage of the bulk goods for use by self or others. More flexibility in its manager system than the "locked/unlocked" of a ship, along with not being restricted to being in one crew. It has its benefits that would be worth the costs of rent, for those who are interested in such a thing.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Apr 17, 2019 8:19:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates