Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 865 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Leverh7

Help with Distilling Reply to this Post

Ahoy everyone. I recently began playing the game again. Distilling is my favorite puzzle so I opened a stall. It seems no one really buys grog anymore so I really need to be able to produce expert labor (not to mention for the mugs). I'm sort of stuck right now with CC9 as my ceiling. I've watched some videos and found some new strategies that should help. However, my biggest roadblock now is the delays associated with the bubbles not going where I want them. For example, let's say I want to drag a brown across the screen through continuous whites. Often, I'll click and drag and the bubble won't move at all. Or it will stop halfway. Or it will take a diversion around halfway and totally throw me off. I bought a new gaming mouse but that didn't fix the problem. I changed my screen resolution to full screen that fit my computer. That didn't really help either. Has anyone else experienced this? If you have any tips as to what a solution may be for greater accuracy, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
[Jan 31, 2019 7:02:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Re: Help with Distilling Reply to this Post

Distilling is my favorite puzzle
:D

bubbles not going where I want them. For example, let's say I want to drag a brown across the screen through continuous whites. Often, I'll click and drag and the bubble won't move at all. Or it will stop halfway. Or it will take a diversion around halfway and totally throw me off.
Having never seen your gameplay, I can only guess that this is the issue you're facing:

https://youtu.be/ZLRv2wp_jCo?t=520
Relevant timestamp: 8m40s ~ 10m30s

Record your own sessions (if you aren't already doing it) and look out for this.

I'm sort of stuck right now with CC9 as my ceiling
Sounds like there's bigger issues to tackle first before worrying about your cursor speed/accuracy. Not sure what are the "new strategies" that you found, but work on those first I suppose.

Stronger thought process + technique carries you further than cursor speed.
Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSqxW4A1CDQ

Good luck :D
----------------------------------------
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Jan 31, 2019 6:34:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leverh7

at 8:40 it looks like he intends to pull the brown all the way up yet it stops halfway. This is what I'm talking about. It happens to me frequently and wastes a lot of time. I'll look into recording some sessions and report back. The new strategies I've picked up that help are the racetrack to get rid of the wedge that tends to build up as well as grouping a brown, black, and white to walk them across and remove bottled up browns up top.

EDIT: I watched more of the video. This is definitely what's happening to me except I don't use a simulator. I struggle with mouse precision I suppose. It can be a problem when dropping pieces in bnav as well. I hoped the new mouse would help but it hasn't. I've played around with the surface for my mouse as well (I've found that a softer surface helps some), but I'm still a long way away from the control I'd like. I guess I'll keep playing with mouse speed options, but I'm not sure what more I can do other than that. Maybe I'll try to focus on dragging in straight lines although that usually makes me go slower as well.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Leverh7 at Jan 31, 2019 9:21:08 PM]
[Jan 31, 2019 9:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

Your mouse is to fast. Distilling isnt a speed puzzle, its a smooth puzzle. I play this puzzle with a slowly mouse speed and a solution where the balls are not to small. I would say that medium size of the balls is fine. Your hand makes the speed, not the mouse itself. Try this and you wont lag any longer in distilling.
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt (Obsidian)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[Feb 5, 2019 6:33:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leverh7

I do have my mouse sensitivity turned almost all the way up. I like being able to flick my wrist and be able to traverse the entire screen. I was thinking this was probably the problem. I'll turn it down and give it a try. Thanks for the response!
[Feb 6, 2019 7:00:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Silverdream wrote: 
Distilling isnt a speed puzzle
I used to tell people this. But every now and then, I'd get boards that disagree. Even when executing the "best strategy", I'd probably have failed without going as fast as I did. Technique and strategy helps, but Distil will always be a speed puzzle.

Leverh7 wrote: 
This is definitely what's happening to me except I don't use a simulator
I've been distilling for a long time and it still happens to me once in a while, in fact i did it twice here, rip. Maybe you'd have better luck being cured of this disease since you don't use the sim xD
[Feb 6, 2019 8:43:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

You play with full risk. Sometimes you will fail on such a board. I wouldnt take this risk. 9 white rows are fine. And then comes the lucky or unlucky spawn of the white balls. One crap row and you can start again for the next few hours. But you all know this. I think you only want to show us your speed in the game ;-).

For me smooth is more important than speed. And you get the #1 in distilling with a long row of incredibles and not with one CC 18 and a failed game. But you also know this ;-)

------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Silverdream at Feb 7, 2019 3:01:04 AM]
[Feb 6, 2019 3:06:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

It's not about showing off. It's about finding the best possible play.

9 white columns is fine, but pushing out that column of junk almost guarantees a better board. The best possible play here is definitely to push it out.

With better speed, you have more margin of error. Risky situations become very playable, you get to capture more best plays, you basically get to perform better.

Distilling will always be a speed puzzle. We can agree to disagree I guess.
[Feb 7, 2019 4:51:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

Speed is the basic, but smoothness is the key for a block of 9 white columns. I think its not necessary to talk about speed, only a question of enough training and the right mouse speed and solution.

I have looked your video once again. You stopped two times (lost the ball), so you can be lucky not to fail on this board.

------

[Feb 8, 2019 6:08:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]