• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3558 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Walab

Let's make Puzzle Pirates Great Again Reply to this Post

Hello fellow pirates,

I recently signed up to play this game again after a long 10 year hiatus. Yes, you heard that right. I was playing this game back in 2008. No, even earlier if I recall correctly. Let's get into business. How to make this game great again.

Observations:
1. Pathetic server populations. On weekend, this game maxes around 500 players across 3 servers. I don't even know why there are 7 servers if 4 of them are at 0 all the time.

2. Game hasn't changed in a decade. I assume this is because of a lack of budget funding to make changes and updates.

3. Lack of immersive experience. There are different islands, where your characters could physically be. But most of the play options, whether it is to do a job or play a game don't require your character to be in any specific location at all. All can accessed from the notice board. So what's the point? Also, players have no sense of where they are relative to others. The islands, the seas, they are fighting in, there is no sense of direction or a map even.

4. Lack of incentives. I understand a large of this game is devoted to "gaming activities" *cough "Gambling"., Which I fully support to and makes this game an enjoyable experience. But there is quite an imbalance of incentives. Why would anyone pursue other games if they can simply double up their bankroll by gambling in a game they are good at.

5. Skill grind. I'm not a big fan of grinding games in general. But since this is what puzzle pirates is. And is in fact an mmorpg, you cannot have a mmo without the grinding aspect. Otherwise there is no development. Which this game does not have. Players skills can jump up and down, and there are very little barriers to entry to most activities.

6. Target audience. This is by far, which is also why i think this game is failing. The game developers have no sense of who their demographic is. If there is a gambling aspect to this game.

I will discuss solutions to these problems at a later date. I welcome all critics and suggestions.
[Jan 26, 2019 6:52:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Re: Let's make Puzzle Pirates Great Again Reply to this Post

Hello fellow pirates,

I recently signed up to play this game again after a long 10 year hiatus. Yes, you heard that right. I was playing this game back in 2008. No, even earlier if I recall correctly. Let's get into business. How to make this game great again.

Observations:
1. Pathetic server populations. On weekend, this game maxes around 500 players across 3 servers. I don't even know why there are 7 servers if 4 of them are at 0 all the time.

2. Game hasn't changed in a decade. I assume this is because of a lack of budget funding to make changes and updates.

3. Lack of immersive experience. There are different islands, where your characters could physically be. But most of the play options, whether it is to do a job or play a game don't require your character to be in any specific location at all. All can accessed from the notice board. So what's the point? Also, players have no sense of where they are relative to others. The islands, the seas, they are fighting in, there is no sense of direction or a map even.

4. Lack of incentives. I understand a large of this game is devoted to "gaming activities" *cough "Gambling"., Which I fully support to and makes this game an enjoyable experience. But there is quite an imbalance of incentives. Why would anyone pursue other games if they can simply double up their bankroll by gambling in a game they are good at.

5. Skill grind. I'm not a big fan of grinding games in general. But since this is what puzzle pirates is. And is in fact an mmorpg, you cannot have a mmo without the grinding aspect. Otherwise there is no development. Which this game does not have. Players skills can jump up and down, and there are very little barriers to entry to most activities.

6. Target audience. This is by far, which is also why i think this game is failing. The game developers have no sense of who their demographic is. If there is a gambling aspect to this game.

I will discuss solutions to these problems at a later date. I welcome all critics and suggestions.

There is one solution to this, back in 2008 you could actually load SMHs on a daily basis, but now in 2019 thats not possible.
Which is why Skilled Swabbies is the future and only hope to help activity on the game again with a decreased pay of 95-99%.
----------------------------------------
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Jan 26, 2019 10:01:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
koekie57

I came back to this game myself , couple months ago and noticed Some more people restarted.
But to keep an ocean active you just need as much people online as possible so more
Activities can be hold on 1 evening .
In my opinion thats only possible with 1 ocean , so everybody is together
[Jan 27, 2019 12:21:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
koekie57

An idea would be , to design a new kind of market:

A Swabbie market , where captains can hire swabbie crew for poe , in different price classes , based on skills.

Just like an expo hall , but than offered swabbies under the hammer.
[Jan 27, 2019 4:00:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

The game itself is now of age / retro, so it's understandable that the population has tapered off since the glory days. The ability to have full freeplay on doub oceans (whilst conversely being able to buy success rather than earn it) killed off sub oceans, the sale and eventual fail to SEGA killed off the financial and human resources to develop the game to any significant degree.

We're kinda lucky the damn thing still works at all. There's no expansive dev team remaining to create, test, communicate, retest and release a host of necessary upgrades/rebuilds and not enough income to pay one. Grey Havens are pretty much a small group of diehards who, like we remaining "old salts" don't want to see a beautiful piece of our gaming history dust.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Jan 27, 2019 7:42:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
runella

I am another player who's just come back after a very long hiatus, and although you make great suggestions, I don't think that any of them will make a difference at this point and time.

One problem is social media. Everyone abandoned the internet to be on it 24/7. It's not like back in the days when people didn't mind splitting up their internet time between different websites. Today, they just log into their favorite social media app and play all their games or surf the news on it. Consequently, a lot of games and popular sites have lost scores of visitors.

Another problem is YouTube. Gaming videos have been completely dominated by a small handful of elite Let's Players. Consequently, they can make or break a video game. If they don't cover certain games, those games will become as good as invisible in the public eye. Ironically, games that suck will see an astronomical number of players because it's played by some idiot who makes goofy faces and rape jokes on face cam.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by runella at Jan 29, 2019 5:55:16 AM]
[Jan 29, 2019 5:53:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fransil

One could try reducing the pixel counts of all the assets and launch yet another ocean but this time call it Minecraft Seas.....
Cruzo of Obsidian
(Dead and gone)
[Jan 30, 2019 9:12:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

One could try reducing the pixel counts of all the assets and launch yet another ocean but this time call it Minecraft Seas.....

Hello, fellow kids. I heard you like *checks notes* minecraft
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Jan 31, 2019 5:12:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mg5

I think people don't realize that everything in this day and age is about marketing and it doesn't take much but to pay someone to advertise something is not that serious. if you think about it, dropping a few payments will give you money when new players come in subscribing
[Mar 6, 2019 9:17:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

I think people don't realize that everything in this day and age is about marketing and it doesn't take much but to pay someone to advertise something is not that serious. if you think about it, dropping a few payments will give you money when new players come in subscribing

Advertising does not make a difference, advertising an old broken game that requires so much time out of your daily life, makes that commitment very difficult to come back if you want to give up your social life. For example if you advertised club penguin in its last 2 years it didn't make a difference. The only way to move in the positive direction is moving in single player aspect more. Maybe the answer is skilled swabbies for other voyages, or making aspects in the game more possible.
Competitions are now over. boohoo

Yumisa is hawt. Thanks for avvie

A fellow victim of neglect, from YPP.
[Mar 6, 2019 2:42:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates