• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1346 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
wrs1864b

yet another dead island coming to obsidian! Reply to this Post

It appears that GH has decided to fill Obsidian with dead islands to match the other oceans. Apparently, GH still hasn't figured out that these empty islands just cause new players to think this is a dead game.

Obsidian would be better off if whipser and anole were decolonized, they are down to having populations of 25 and 39 right now, and never have been much higher.

Oh, and economics wise:
  Island             Apot Dist Furn Iron Ship Tail Weav Shop   Total Min Assets
Anole Garden . 8 . 10 7 . . 3 = 28 2673k
Lionhaven 19 31 9 56 24 11 21 1 = 172 15287k
Loggerhead Island . 33 . 64 17 . . 3 = 117 10365k
Magpie Island . 22 . 52 7 . . 4 = 85 8958k
Melanaster Island 27 38 8 67 32 6 29 2 = 209 33183k
Night Harbour 24 25 9 62 20 9 18 2 = 169 17273k
Port Venture 56 61 29 156 62 31 53 1 = 449 54879k
Whisper Island . 9 . 12 4 . . 3 = 28 1679k
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -------
Total 126 227 55 479 173 57 121 19 = 1257 144298k

----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 18, 2018 5:58:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: yet another dead island coming to obsidian! Reply to this Post

I don't know why people setting islands to home matters much, other then whisking there automatically.

I am happy to have new islands coming into the game as they have building limits and I enjoy bid tickets over relying on swabies bringing me comods.

As of now there still isn't gem running maybe won't ever be, but with the size of the ocean it could be a lot of fun.

It would be nice to see some islands up in the wild seas open for stocking but I am sure they have a plan and are going in order.

Its going to be a good Opening weekend for kades on Obsidian as Melenester the only Large has no shops as all dusted while in BK control, and a new island opening with empty plots again and the option to name things and set up the island will be fun for who ever takes it. Not sure how we can get more activity on the islands if they are uncolonized.

Of course NH, LH, PV will be larger as they are safe locked in tax rates under OM control. Mel is the only large island and was the first it gained many stalls..

Unless my math is wrong there is only possible for there to be 16 actual shops on the ocean so the addition of a new island will make 18 actual shops. With the 10 dusted on Melenester there are only 6 player owned shops are open producing for the owner and maybe friends.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Dec 18, 2018 7:01:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

How does the population of recently opened islands correlate with a lack of new players? Obsidian peaks at 200 online for six days a week, closing two islands isn't going to reverse that.

There are fundamental problems beyond which island pirates call home.
[Dec 18, 2018 7:56:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

It's nothing to do with opening islands - it's to do with the dark/light autowhisk and PV-LH-NH free whisk mechanic making re-homing in the three base archipelagoes pointless.

Dark side PCs shouldn't be able to free-whisk from PV to LH.

Light side PCs shouldn't be able to free-whisk from PV to NH.

Once a pirate takes one side or the other, the other whisk option should close down.

Sadly the alt account Invite/Jobbing loophole is probably unavoidable. Boo.

Gallery free whisks should only be available to some combination of crew/flagmates/hearties of the residents, with a global option for a limited period of time at a cost (example - host an open party at a gallery with free whisk for X hours for X PoE/Doubloons)
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Dec 19, 2018 12:23:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

It appears that GH has decided to fill Obsidian with dead islands to match the other oceans. Apparently, GH still hasn't figured out that these empty islands just cause new players to think this is a dead game.

Obsidian would be better off if whipser and anole were decolonized, they are down to having populations of 25 and 39 right now, and never have been much higher.

Oh, and economics wise:
  Island             Apot Dist Furn Iron Ship Tail Weav Shop   Total Min Assets
Anole Garden . 8 . 10 7 . . 3 = 28 2673k
Lionhaven 19 31 9 56 24 11 21 1 = 172 15287k
Loggerhead Island . 33 . 64 17 . . 3 = 117 10365k
Magpie Island . 22 . 52 7 . . 4 = 85 8958k
Melanaster Island 27 38 8 67 32 6 29 2 = 209 33183k
Night Harbour 24 25 9 62 20 9 18 2 = 169 17273k
Port Venture 56 61 29 156 62 31 53 1 = 449 54879k
Whisper Island . 9 . 12 4 . . 3 = 28 1679k
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -------
Total 126 227 55 479 173 57 121 19 = 1257 144298k

Nice job with the graphing can't go wrong with actual details.
Those 2 islands have low populations because their outposts, the purpose of those islands are for smaller flags, but everyone 9999s anyway so that kind of kills that purpose.
If GH wish to fill us with more dead islands, then they should just remove some oceans as well that are filled with dead islands 50-60 of them or more. If we did your prognosis any island under population of 39 must be de-colonized then you'd pretty much make most islands on Ceru and Emerald/Meridian de-colonized which wouldn't be a bad idea tbh.
Support Sov! and I miss Jake :(

Bring the positives from obsidian ocean to main oceans!

Idk why people use alts to be relevant bashing everything.......
[Dec 19, 2018 1:02:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Those 2 islands have low populations because they're outposts

They're mediums. There are no open outpost islands on Obsidian at the moment.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Dec 19, 2018 1:40:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Of course, for years people were complaining about the lack of new island openings, even though the oceans in question were stagnating and there were essentially dead islands all over.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 19, 2018 3:25:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

How does the population of recently opened islands correlate with a lack of new players?

As I said in the OP, empty islands make the game look dead. People who come to check out a MMORPG want to see activity.

There are fundamental problems beyond which island pirates call home.

Oh, there certainly are many worse things, but that doesn't excuse GH going through extra effort to make things worse.

It isn't just that regular pirates aren't setting these islands to be their home, but that is still important. Players also tend to put their labor alts on the island with their stores. An island that has so few players almost certainly doesn't have much business going on, and the low "minimum assets" of the stores backs that up.

Triplet will be the 4th colonized island that spawns sugar cane, out of a total of 9 on Obsidian. Sugar cane is a REAL pain to move, so if the economy of triplet isn't strong enough to use all that sugar cane, then people will have to waste time shipping it to where it can be used. And the price everywhere else will go up.

Having to ship bulky goods is a real problem on Cerulean, there isn't any reason to hurt Obsidian.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 19, 2018 7:07:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

@OP err whut.
  • For the shrewd shopkeepers, new isle openings mean new challenges to combat. Heck, for any shopkeeper, isle openings cause changes to the market landscape. It's not like it happens every week anyway.
  • For the political players, more contestable isles means more battlegrounds. More moments of triumph, more moments of humiliation, more action.
  • For the puzzling pirates, it's more blockades. More jobber pay, more trivia, more tokening opportunities.
For the ocean, it's basically more activity.

But you want Whisper and Anole to close, and you want TT not to even be opened?

there isn't any reason to hurt Obsidian.

lol

The only relevant GD problem here is that greenies should spawn on more/most populated isles.
The sugar cane problem is honestly.. whatever. That's a battle for shopkeepers to participate in.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Dec 19, 2018 10:53:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

The only relevant GD problem here is that greenies should spawn on more/most populated isles.

Everyone spawns on Port Venture so it is not an issue they can see all the dock tarts.

Triplet will be the 4th colonized island that spawns sugar cane, out of a total of 9 on Obsidian. Sugar cane is a REAL pain to move, so if the economy of triplet isn't strong enough to use all that sugar cane, then people will have to waste time shipping it to where it can be used. And the price everywhere else will go up.

I haven't seen this. While I would like to have seen a island that spawns wood open, I think adding island open will help.

The swabie update made soloing MG easy so moving stock is easier, Haven't tried GF but soloing shouldn't be hard if you can dnav.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Dec 20, 2018 4:20:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates