• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 43
Posts: 43   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7862 times and has 42 replies Next Thread
Wackyraces

Re: So where are we heading to? Reply to this Post

Yes its sad days around here at the moment. Will it revive itself? I don't think it will unless they start changing something.

For starters if they can't be bothered designing new kh maps with new treasure locations (instead of just adding rocks) couldn't they simply flip the maps horizontally so all the treasure locations would need to be approached differently?

When obisidian ocean first opened I remember all the elites going over there and being very elitish when it came to jobbing people. Rarely did newbs get much of a chance to get onto a kh or smh of some type. Even the pillies were asking for good stats. Not a newb friendly ocean imo.

Partly I think that was due to low on funds to begin with and also sinking risks were high and so understandably captains wanted people who could keep them afloat.

People like surprises. How about having random whirlpools around the ocean that drag your ship down to lost city of atlantis to fray/puzzle/forage whatever and then back up again. Once back up the whirlpool disappears and will re-emerge in another unknown location around the ocean. Bit more incentive and fun for people running pillages or whatever.

A lot of people like to be the bomber on kh runs. How about a new smh that is a mash up of all the smh's? All go in as bombers and have to take out several key locations before lantis thingy pops up and after that is finished all need to bomb kraken and once kraken has been bombed 7 times (if on a sloop) he drops and island emerges and you forage.

How about some round the ocean races? Or some relay races where an item has to passed from ship to ship.

But most of all. Just be nice to the newbs. They have to start somewhere and are the future of the game.

Ifairmaidenl
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Wackyraces at Sep 28, 2018 8:05:39 PM]
[Sep 28, 2018 8:01:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

Trying to bring in new players for an extremely old and niche game through very artificial means like advertisement is always going to be the path of most resistance, as you're asking random people to use a minimum of ~10 hours a week for playing the game in an extremely competitive market.

The advice that most talks on MMOs will give is to keep old and experienced players engaged, as a loss of an active user who has put in over a thousand hours into your game is always going to be greater than a dozen greenies who don't last a month (especially on F2P games, where the cost of entry is minimal). Therefore at this point the plan should be two-fold: figuring out what keeps the current players in the game and focusing your content towards keeping them engaged. Secondly, conducting surveys on players who quit and introducing new content to bring them back. Dark Seas is a project that does both and is seeming to fail at it due to bad design choices creating improper incentives instead of healthy competition.

Due to the development team consisting of a single person updates should focus towards quality of life and keeping a healthy player-base that can keep the game's political and economical mechanics chugging along. And so far that is the biggest failure of Grey Havens management, as they have failed to properly express their goals and scope of future development for Puzzle Pirates, as well as they failed to create a proper dialogue with the community.

Large updates and bringing in new players is not realistic. The best course of action is to polish existing mechanics, focus on endgame stuff like blockades, and keep a up consistent communications with the community. Only with stable foundations is it possible to work towards something bigger.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Sep 29, 2018 9:56:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fransil

....focus on endgame stuff like blockades....

The rest of the points actually made sense. The blockade line just had me lol'ing. The game is way past the point of sustaining a player controlled economy(dubs) and its "end-game" content is shit.
Cruzo of Obsidian
(Dead and gone)
[Oct 2, 2018 3:28:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

The rest of the points actually made sense. The blockade line just had me lol'ing. The game is way past the point of sustaining a player controlled economy(dubs) and its "end-game" content is shit.

Unironically allow the new fangled swabbied ships to exert influence in cades. If you can't make it like the days of yore with 5v5 WFs at least adjust it to keep the cade people happy.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Oct 2, 2018 3:51:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zenithar

Unironically allow the new fangled swabbied ships to exert influence in cades. If you can't make it like the days of yore with 5v5 WFs at least adjust it to keep the cade people happy.

Pros: Would make blockades much more active and interesting affairs.

Cons: Would probably make them much, much cheaper to run and potentially lead to not caring about jobbers at all depending on how meta shakes out.

If you want to see a lot more endgame content the path is pretty simple.

1) Let ships fill with swabbies, but maybe not let swabbies count for influence. Debatable.

2) Slash the doubloon delivery fee on ships that are not limited Edition. Either remove it entirely or make it a tiny pittance. Large, all-around economic stimulus, see more sinking content, makes it easier for new players to start running a boat, and more blockading content.

You'd see a lot more cading activity because you'd drop the price floor but haven't really affected the price ceiling so you don't shoot your main revenue generation right in the leg.
[Oct 2, 2018 12:12:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Blockading has driven more people from the game than it ever kept. But whatever, it entertained some try hards and wannabe despots enough to build cults of personalities around them that sure made the mechanic seem important for a while.

But that's neither here nor there. Either you like playing or you don't, I can't tell you why I've been playing 15 years but I'm glad I have. The thing that would get me to play more than a couple hours a week would be bringing all my friends back, but, they grew old and have productive lives and it's cool and I'm happy for them all. I'm glad Grey Havens keeps this game on so I have somewhere to go for a while on my slow, lonely march to the grave.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Oct 8, 2018 7:00:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Vitasoy89

I am an old player. I literally just opened puzzle pirates again (last time was two-three years ago). I was shocked. I just checked there are only 6 online players now.

I am actually thinking if it is possible to bring this game back. There are no other games that can compare to puzzle pirates. Yes, it might be boring sometimes, but puzzle pirates is definitely the one you will miss and you will go back after a while.
[Oct 9, 2018 7:54:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

I am an old player. I literally just opened puzzle pirates again (last time was two-three years ago). I was shocked. I just checked there are only 6 online players now.

You might want to try Emerald (or Obsidian via the Steam client download). More than 6 players there. You may find some of your old friends made the move across.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Oct 9, 2018 12:17:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Blockading has driven more people from the game than it ever kept. But whatever, it entertained some try hards and wannabe despots enough to build cults of personalities around them that sure made the mechanic seem important for a while.

But that's neither here nor there. Either you like playing or you don't, I can't tell you why I've been playing 15 years but I'm glad I have. The thing that would get me to play more than a couple hours a week would be bringing all my friends back, but, they grew old and have productive lives and it's cool and I'm happy for them all. I'm glad Grey Havens keeps this game on so I have somewhere to go for a while on my slow, lonely march to the grave.

Perhaps blockade pay was the straw that broke the blockading camel's back.

People claim that "poker killed the game" but the fundamental driver of poker players is to make BIG BUCK$ for the blockading game. Therefore, if poker killed the game, then auto-blockade-pay put the gun in its hand.

I would wager that RMT is also driven by the thirst for blockading funds.

I enjoyed BIG BUCK$ as a blockade jobber for quite a while. However, I grew weary and disillusioned when we were treated like cattle, especially the maneuver whereby we would be tricked, cajoled, or goaded into working like dogs during breaks. There is no pay during a break, so as a mercenary there is zero incentive for me to stay on station. Don't plank me because I take a much-needed break while the game is enforcing said break.

But yes, if you were willing to work like a galley slave, then jobbing in blockades is by far the most lucrative activity I ever found. Perhaps Bravery Badge stuff was better, but I never went in for any of that new-fangled high-falutin' witchery.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Oct 15, 2018 8:25:00 PM]
[Oct 15, 2018 8:23:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Detail8

Those new Obsidian players didn't leave because of a lack of communication, they left because the game is fifteen years old and it's age really shows. The game is at the very end of its lifecycle - being kept alive by the original developers purely because they don't want to see it close. If it was a viable commercial product, Sega wouldn't have axed it to begin with.

Like most things in life, everything comes to an end.

That's so incorrect.

I don't want to be charged for advertising, but take a look at RS, they updated their graphics every time yes, but they brought back the oldschool version, which is performing even better than it used to be in 2007.

So not everything dies by age, instead, they have improved even more.

Definitely, it's the managed of the game

i agree i thought this was gonna eb like runescape as in the old school would be emer ect and then new updated graphics and a little upgrade on skills/puzzles even intoducing more puzzles.

me and a few guys n my crew had an idea on a minigame called pistol whipped.
where you can move your pirate side to side and they have to guess where you shoot, so say there is left - middle - right and then you say where your gonna shoot and they say where they are gonna move.

i thought that would be a good mini game but even small things like that to keep he game fun and still alive
Captain of Grand Unification(emerald) Retired
Captain of Sea Sick(dark seas)
#1 : Obsidian Greeter
[Oct 17, 2018 3:25:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Cleaver said, long ago, no handguns in the game.
Blades, yes. Cannons, yes. Pistols, no.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Oct 21, 2018 9:35:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

With much Cleaver said long ago, that certain things would make this game fail, for example the forced PvP, and I guess he wasn't wrong about that x)
Support Sov! and Prayers for Marto your a good lad!

Yumisa is hawt. Thanks for avvie

People actually use 100s of alts and still play how shocking!

That's a great idea let's remove poker! Support this!
[Oct 21, 2018 11:54:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Detail8

we wont have pistols it can be like a mini game or like a new puzzle to put beat the poker tables or even like viking raids.

they need to do something because i feel like they are just gonna merge the dub oceans and hope that helps - which it wont -

graphic updates, old fun things like pirates tales,

there has been tons of great feedback over the years they either just cant do it or wont, either way this game needs something because dark seas only split the game again
Captain of Grand Unification(emerald) Retired
Captain of Sea Sick(dark seas)
#1 : Obsidian Greeter
[Oct 23, 2018 3:15:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 43   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates