• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1535 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Dirtycajun

Do opposing factions count as "At War" without declaring? Reply to this Post

Per the wiki, if you are at war and sink you have a chance at an injury. With Obsidian, you are able to sink without being at war because of the factions. Does this create a race condition for the injuries with the code? or does it not apply and you still need to fully declare war even across faction to enable that "Chance"?

Thanks!
[Sep 10, 2018 9:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
luki2000

Re: Do opposing factions count as "At War" without declaring? Reply to this Post

Afaik you don't need to be at war individually, but you need to be a full member of the officer's crew to get your chance at an injury. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
----------------------------------------
SuperLuki on Meridian, Emerald and Obsidian

[Sep 10, 2018 12:36:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Do opposing factions count as "At War" without declaring? Reply to this Post

There is certainly potential for a corner case as Luki pointed out. It seems that there's been injuries to jobbers as long as their flag and the flag of the crew hiring them are at war with a third flag which sinks the ship they hired onto. That could mean that jobbers on Dark Seas oceans would be eligible for injuries as long their flag was in the opposite faction to the ship doing the sinking.

On Dark Seas oceans flags from opposing factions are automatically at war. The question is whether that means that explicitly declaring war does anything extra that enables injuries, or whether injuries are already going to happen during sinking. It's a good question and does depend upon the details in the code. If there is a distinction between "factions being permanently at war" and "at war with injuries possible", was that intentional or not?

A race condition would happen if the desired action happens only if there's a required sequence or timing of (uncontrollable) inputs/events. Meaning that malfunctions can be subject to chance and difficult to replicate. I don't believe that covers the issue here.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Sep 10, 2018 6:48:36 PM]
[Sep 10, 2018 6:33:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Dirtycajun

I honestly believe that the distinction makes the difference. I highly believe you have to be AT WAR by choice to get a chance at an injury. Otherwise you would surely have seen an injury by now just from the faction sinks

Also. Why was this moved away from game design. An OM explicitly told me to post it in that thread
[Sep 11, 2018 7:36:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Huh.

I guess I always thought that the rule was if you sink, you had a chance of an injury.

Looking at the yppedia page, I see that the exceptions are very rare in other oceans. The exceptions are corner cases for 1v1 PvP, which are very rare on most oceans.

I agree, this should have been kept in Game Design. I see no real reason why there are these exceptions, especially on an ocean like Obsidian.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Sep 11, 2018 8:40:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates