• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1705 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Stan5

Swabbie update impact on the Wild Seas Reply to this Post

The introduction of the additional swabbies to the ship has had a negative impact on the Wild Seas on Obsidian ocean (and most likely other archs at a lower scale). I am not sure if this was an intended effect of the recent swabbie update but after the change, regardless of what setting the slider is configured to, the spawns behave like you have a full ship. While the impact of this is not noticeable in most routes, it has made harder routes nearly impossible (and worthless in terms of pay) to do. All the results listed below were achieved with the configuration slider for swabbies set to 0% and all the bots fired, with just humans aboard.
Pre-update: A sloop with 5 or less people aboard, at the ?Very Hard? difficulty used to spawn cutters, dhows and Fanchuans with 8 aboard
Post-Update: A sloop with the same amount, on the Wild Seas at that difficulty spawns Fanchuans, Longships, Merchant Brigs and Baghlahs with 10 or more bots on them
Pre-update: Baghlahs with under 10 humans spawned Junks, MBs, Baghlahs and War Brigs, 11-15 spawned Merchant Galleons, and 16-18 spawned Xebecs.
Post Update: At the hardest difficulty, once you have more than 10 people aboard, you?re stuck spawning xebecs with wild numbers. We started getting 10 v 27 battles, 13 v 33, etc. This has drastically affected the payouts per battle as swabbies that are not aboard are getting a cut out of the payout and we no longer have anyone running the more difficult, higher-paying voyages anymore.

The only possible way I have observed that one is able to get around this glitch(?) is to fill the boat with humans and take whatever spawn you get. With 18 people on a baghlah, we were able to max the pay per battle at about 2000 poe. As soon as one person leaves, it is back to 1200-1500 poe, and goes lower as more people leave.

@Developers
I can run additional tests and send the full logs of everything you need to know, if needed. Hard route pillages, like the ones on the Wild Seas, have been a huge part of the game for some of us due to the difficulty, and high payouts. What we now have in these routes are difficult battles with near impossible to win frays (10 vs 27, 13 v 33) even with max-0 battle scores. All of this with a payout of under 1000 poe per battle, dropping from the 2-3k per battle usually associated with this level of difficulty. Please look into it when you have a chance and let us know if the changes are permanent.

P.S In the time I've pillaged since the update, all BKs on the wild seas are red ships. We attempted one and it was 13 v 33, and even with a max-0 score, we were obliterated.
The only time we spawned ships that had a fairly decent bot-count was with a full ship. With 18 aboard, we spawned 23-25 bots. And weirdly enough, when we dropped to 12, we spawned 27 bots.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stan5 at Aug 25, 2018 9:39:08 AM]
[Aug 25, 2018 9:36:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkings

Re: Swabbie update impact on the Wild Seas Reply to this Post

Hello, basically what's happening is every time we hit hire swabbies the game assumes you have full bots+ any player on board, and its not subtracting the bots for the rest of the run, that's why its possible to spawn more than longships on a sloop now.

To get around this you can't hit the hire button, and since its obvious the amount of players affect the difficulty of spawn ( and in theory harder = more booty ) we can go around how booty works.

And for that I do not have a concrete answer, we can assume less players (middle of the voyage ) = less booty, or every time someone leaves the game either adjust the next spawn to the number of players or the booty ramp gets affected by another factor.
But I'm just trowing my thoughts don't go by my word here.

You can try to do a pilly with greenys (no hiring swabbies) only and see if you get the same spawns?
Would be a fun experience, and maybe try some runs with able sf and another with a better sf standing just to see if it affects the ramp. ( never had time to test it )
[Aug 25, 2018 10:35:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

Hello, basically what's happening is every time we hit hire swabbies the game assumes you have full bots+ any player on board, and its not subtracting the bots for the rest of the run, that's why its possible to spawn more than longships on a sloop now.

Please read the first paragraph of the opening post

...regardless of what setting the slider is configured to, the spawns behave like you have a full ship

To get around this you can't hit the hire button, and since its obvious the amount of players affect the difficulty of spawn ( and in theory harder = more booty ) we can go around how booty works.

To be clear, your suggestion is not to hire anyone to get around the issue of having ghost swabbies aboard the vessel?

And for that I do not have a concrete answer, we can assume less players (middle of the voyage ) = less booty, or every time someone leaves the game either adjust the next spawn to the number of players or the booty ramp gets affected by another factor.
But I'm just trowing my thoughts don't go by my word here.

See YPPedia

for rough ideas on how booty works. Yes the number of humans aboard a vessel affects the amount of booty spawned, as well as the number of swabbies aboard, hence why we are having a discussion on why "invisible swabbies" are negatively affecting the payout

You can try to do a pilly with greenys (no hiring swabbies) only and see if you get the same spawns?
Would be a fun experience, and maybe try some runs with able sf and another with a better sf standing just to see if it affects the ramp. ( never had time to test it )

If you have been to the Wild Seas Arch (The one this specific thread is about), you would understand why having newer players aboard your vessel or people with able SF might not be a great idea. I'm assuming that's what you mean by greenys. We have a rough idea on how the booty ramp works, its not the issue at hand. The issue is more about a technical issue with the new update having unintended impacts on what most people would call "Elite Pillages" or Wild Seas Pillages.

As I said in the opening post, this problem is generally with vessels who do not have any swabbies aboard and yet the spawns are behaving like the ship has swabbies aboard.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stan5 at Aug 25, 2018 11:14:39 AM]
[Aug 25, 2018 11:11:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zenithar

There's very little to constructively add to what seems like a fairly objective issue. (Either this is an unintended bug/side effect or an uncommunicated intentional change.)

That said, to ask the obvious - have bug reports been filed in-game?

If it's a game bug then multiple people reporting it should hopefully get a nice correlated item into the ticketing system.
[Aug 25, 2018 2:21:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

Bug reports have been submitted since the day the update came out on the 2nd of July I was told but we haven't really heard much. Hoping it is fixed soon so I can run the wild seas grand frig pillage I've been fantasizing about (one with actual pirates, not the shady exploit voyage with 3 people aboard).

Edit: Was told using a grand frig to farm greedies is definitely not exploiting the swabbie update and is a perfectly acceptable voyage now. I apologize for any confusion
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stan5 at Aug 29, 2018 7:57:42 PM]
[Aug 25, 2018 2:40:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pikapyah

stan said shady exploit :D
"economy killer, destroyer of stalls"
Pika says, "make it war bae"
Catch 'em all declared war on Scuppering Shrews.
Catch 'em all declared war on For Fox Sake.
Catch 'em all declared war on Consider it Sunk.
[Aug 26, 2018 1:24:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Murcatto

Not a whole lot to add to this, just supporting the fact this desperately needs looked at thanks.
Solitude
Captain of Tick Tock
Stand & Deliver

Even winning means nothing. We win because it?s an insult to lose.
[Aug 26, 2018 4:05:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shaun346

Just posting to show my support for this issue. It needs to be acknowledged that a fix is coming or pillages are just going to become solo adventures. The really active navers have noticed and are vocal, but I don't believe it has yet caught the ears of the once in a while pillage runners. Once that happens and this situation becomes more common knowledge the ocean will seem more dead then it already is with a blank noticeboard even at peak times.
Hurten-Obsidian
Hurten-Meridian
Senior Officer of Pouncing Piranhas
Prince of the flag United We Stand

[Nov 7, 2018 6:00:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates