• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2254 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Inschato

Why is the "DPI Aware" setting only for 4k monitor owners? Reply to this Post

Hi. I own a Surface Pro 3. It has a 12" display with a resolution of 2160x1440. The minimum resolution to do pixel doubling (which is what I assume the DPI Aware setting does but since I don't own any 4k monitors I'm just guessing) would be 1600x1200. I would love to be able to play puzzle pirates on my SP3 but since I have to squint and slouch within a foot of the screen to see what's going on, it's not very viable.

Am I missing something? This should be supported shouldn't it?

Link to a screenshot of my desktop in this scenario instead of an embed so it doesn't break mvnForum formatting.
https://imgur.com/jz04Zbk
----------------------------------------
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Nov 12, 2017 9:47:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zxyz

Re: Why is the "DPI Aware" setting only for 4k monitor owners? Reply to this Post

I believe it should work for all types of high DPI displays and not just 4k. At least I tried it on my 3200x1800 (a little below 4k) and it scaled up/down according to the scaling percentage in the Windows control panel.

You could try this workaround which helped me get DPI scaling working with Steam:

Go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Puzzle Pirates Dark Seas/java_vm/bin

Right click "javaw.exe" and select "Properties" at the bottom. Then under the Compatibility tab check the box for "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" and set it to "System".
Xy on Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zxyz at Nov 13, 2017 11:13:54 AM]
[Nov 13, 2017 10:51:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
asts6

Re: Why is the "DPI Aware" setting only for 4k monitor owners? Reply to this Post

1. Go to display settings
2. Change the size of text, apps and other items to 100%
3. Sign out of windows (just locking and re-logging isn't good enough)
4. Sign into windows
5. Go to display settings
6. Change the size of text, apps and other items to 175%/200% or whatever you prefer
7. Enjoy
Tokenboy on the Sage Ocean
[Nov 13, 2017 12:10:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

You could try this workaround which helped me get DPI scaling working with Steam:

Go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Puzzle Pirates Dark Seas/java_vm/bin

Right click "javaw.exe" and select "Properties" at the bottom. Then under the Compatibility tab check the box for "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" and set it to "System".

This is the best fix I've found that people should use. Adjusting the scaling % is very wonky.

It should be noted that the 4K aware setting doesn't do anything for me when used, and only the quoted workaround ever really fixed the problem I had with the scaling.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sagacious at Nov 14, 2017 12:09:45 PM]
[Nov 14, 2017 12:08:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates