• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 153
Posts: 153   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 56291 times and has 152 replies Next Thread
Jcmorgan6

Re: Dark Seas: FAQ update Reply to this Post

The question was if payout differs between the two. :)

Is it worth venturing out to Wind Combs if I have a map on Triplet's Treasure? That's the question.

I was replying to the other guy, not you..
----------------------------------------
Jjc on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Aug 9, 2017 2:16:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

There may already be an answer to this question somewhere, can't find it so here goes:
My pirate on Obsidian was made basically to make sure I keep the name. It's on the same account as my main on Emerald and I do log her on every so often to make sure she stays alive.

Does the fact that I have bought dubs on Emerald ensure that she lives on on Obsidian? If so, would I need to buy dubs when the ocean moves to Steam?

The reason I am asking is that if I log on another account, any pirate I make immediately has a yellow name. That seems to imply that for the moment the accounts are linked, though I do understand that I can't transfer dubs, but it's a little confusing.
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Aug 11, 2017 1:12:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

I realize it's a probably a while until blockades happen on Obsidian, but it's my favorite part of the game, so I have a multipart question about them in the brave new world of Dark Seas and its factional warfare:

How will the "flags in different factions are treated as at war" condition interact with the sinking status of blockades? Will any drop on a colonized island by the opposing faction be a sinking blockade? (If not, does this mean flags in opposing factions may still need to declare war on one another in order to accomplish such a thing?)

Related, will blockades in the Greywaters be nonsinking unless the flags have a declared war, regardless of factional considerations? (Or, perhaps, will all pvp including blockades in the Greywaters be nonsinking? Or will those islands even be open for player colonization?)
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Aug 11, 2017 9:43:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Forculus wrote: 

• All blockades in Dark Seas (other than event blockades) are sinking.

• from here
    Jjc on Emerald
    CI booty division stats
    [Aug 11, 2017 11:35:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Forculus
    Developer

Does the fact that I have bought dubs on Emerald ensure that she lives on on Obsidian?
    Yep!

If so, would I need to buy dubs when the ocean moves to Steam?
    Nope!

Related, will blockades in the Greywaters be nonsinking unless the flags have a declared war, regardless of factional considerations? (Or, perhaps, will all pvp including blockades in the Greywaters be nonsinking? Or will those islands even be open for player colonization?)
    We don't currently plan to open the Greywaters islands for player colonization.
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by Forculus at Aug 11, 2017 11:47:53 AM]
    [Aug 11, 2017 11:47:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    GreatBob

Forculus wrote: 

Does the fact that I have bought dubs on Emerald ensure that she lives on on Obsidian?
    Yep!

Nope!

How big of a heads up can we expect for more information on island openings? Are we going to get islands in the middle or closer to our own strongholds first?
    Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Aug 11, 2017 2:22:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    altheacat

Yep!

Nope!

thank you for the prompt answer Forculus
    Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
    Lady of the Black Flag
    [Aug 11, 2017 4:05:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Nairdowell

As a past PP player of many years, I have signed back on to the new server through Steam. One of my favorite things to do, besides jobbing with various crews, was to mem all the routes on whatever ocean I was on....

My question is this, with a sloop and an Officer badge, but no crew or faction affiliation, will I be able to mem all the routes, providing I can find/buy the maps, without engaging in PVP? As a "neutral", the war and auto-PVP setting would not apply, correct?

And perhaps that is the role neutrals could take in this, supplying both sides, slipping into "enemy" territory to harvest small amounts of commodities.... If so, an method to look in the hold might be used, no PVP if only cbs and rum, but once a cargo item is loaded, PVP becomes available?

Just my two cents worth....
    [Sep 25, 2017 3:22:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

My question is this, with a sloop and an Officer badge, but no crew or faction affiliation, will I be able to mem all the routes, providing I can find/buy the maps, without engaging in PVP? As a "neutral", the war and auto-PVP setting would not apply, correct?

No because you need to be ranked officer in a crew to sail a ship, so it's not possible to sail the ocean as a neutral.
    Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
    Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
    #TeamPurple
    [Sep 25, 2017 3:49:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Nairdowell

No because you need to be ranked officer in a crew to sail a ship, so it's not possible to sail the ocean as a neutral.

As I said, with an Officer badge, however, as this is my first doubloon ocean, no where did I see where you would have to be in a crew..... where might that information be located?
    [Sep 25, 2017 4:00:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    xelto

As I said, with an Officer badge, however, as this is my first doubloon ocean, no where did I see where you would have to be in a crew..... where might that information be located?

If you can't find a crew to let you become officer, in a pinch you can make your own crew. This requires a few more dubs for a captain's badge for a single month (you can drop back to officer once you've got the crew established) and a dub fee to start the crew.

But that's only if you can't find a crew to join, or don't want to do that.
    Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
    "Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
    [Sep 25, 2017 4:08:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    patgangster

The officer badge is required to do anything that requires officer rank - You still need the actual rank in a crew too.

I don't know where this is said properly and clearly, but the badge page on the YPPedia mentions "These items provide the holder with the ability to hold a given rank, or lower, in a crew" - which are essentially what they do. The officer badge allows you to take the officer rank in a crew. Without the badge, even if you are promoted, for all purposes you are still the lower rank.
    TriplePat, Emerald.
    [Sep 25, 2017 4:11:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

It's mentioned on the Officer rank article:

Officers have many rights. In addition to being able to play the navigation puzzle without an order, they can now run their own pillages. Even if a player owns a ship, he or she must be an officer (or higher) to sail it

This refers to being the rank of officer in a crew. An officer badge only enables officer privileges if you also hold the rank of officer (or higher) in a crew.
    #TeamPurple
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 25, 2017 4:24:55 PM]
    [Sep 25, 2017 4:19:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Nairdowell

my major question revolves around the permanent Officer badge in the Eminent Explorer Pack... would that require a crew as well? Curious... (and thanks for the replies...)
    [Sep 25, 2017 6:18:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Thunderbird

my major question revolves around the permanent Officer badge in the Eminent Explorer Pack... would that require a crew as well? Curious... (and thanks for the replies...)

The only differences between the permanent badges of the DLC pack and their regular counterparts is that the permanent ones last forever, and they offer a permanent discount to higher badges of the same type.
    Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
    Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
    Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
    [Sep 25, 2017 6:20:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    mysteryman64

Just a comment. It seems as though Obsidian population numbers are trending up. Ocean seems to be hovering around the high 400 mark on offpeak hours and varies anywhere from 600 to 800(!) during peak play times. Compared to the average of 300-400 prior to the Steam launch.

Hope that's a sign of good news for the ocean.
    The Devil's Advocate
    [Sep 26, 2017 12:18:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    jdl1963

Just a comment. It seems as though Obsidian population numbers are trending up. Ocean seems to be hovering around the high 400 mark on offpeak hours and varies anywhere from 600 to 800(!) during peak play times. Compared to the average of 300-400 prior to the Steam launch.

Hope that's a sign of good news for the ocean.

Using the Puzzle Pirates Activity Tracker you can see this clearly...

http://www.glowie.com/~onyx/PPAT/PPAT.php

I just wish he hadn't chosen a color for Obsidian that was so close to Emerald's.
    [Sep 26, 2017 12:58:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    FenrirWolf

Also, check this tool for tracking any steam game.

Steam users on Dark Seas.
    Fenrir , the one with a crappy signature.

The Eye - Former King
    Odin's Demise - Former Captain
    [Sep 27, 2017 6:20:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Whitefire

Hi there Forculus, you probably don't know me, but many here do. I'm excited about these changes to the game, considering many were requested a decade ago.

I do have one major concern with this whole "permanent sides" thing. From what I understand, there is no flag switching once you create your character. I know some of my other Fandango friends have already chosen both sides, which has left me with much sadness. Will it be possible for people to flag switch or will we have to delete and rebuild the character?

What are the Developer's plans in the event that one side begins snowballing the other? When the original Azure flipped to Midnight, several flags had an insurmountable advantage in terms of manpower, and organization. Hell, the major flags had already carved up the archipelagos and given them to specific flags.This resulted in a stagnant war game that this patch seems to be addressing. However, you have the same player population playing the same game. Why would you expect them to be happy set in a world where they can be sunk? My gut tells me that many people would rather restart on the "winning" side, leading to a homogeneous world without war requiring yet another fandango-like group of people to play the bad guys.

Obviously, these two questions are ties to each other. Since allowing A allows B to happen and preventing B prevents A from happening. However, I would appreciate an thoughts that the Devs have put into this. Thank you.
    [Sep 27, 2017 7:07:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jcmorgan6

I think you've misunderstood, characters can change sides by simply joining a crew on the opposing side
    Jjc on Emerald
    CI booty division stats
    [Sep 27, 2017 7:16:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Thunderbird

Yeah, I think there's a misunderstanding here. Individual pirates are not assigned to a faction. The faction is determined by the crew they're in. If they are not in a crew, they have no faction (and no icon, which makes it a bit too easy for the dockpressing type to tell who's crewless and who's not).

The release notes say that crews can't currently change factions, which implies it may be possible in the future. Though I suspect they'd have to be flagless to do so.
    Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
    Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
    Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
    [Sep 28, 2017 4:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jcmorgan6

The release notes say that crews can't currently change factions, which implies it may be possible in the future. Though I suspect they'd have to be flagless to do so.

It was stated that it would probably be possible via Rogue Marks early on by Forculus, can't find you the quote though

Forculus wrote: 

2) Is the light vs. dark a permanent choice?

We want it to be a meaningful and impactful choice, but it's probably not practical to make it permanent. We're considering rogue marks as a way to allow changing alignment.

Jjc on Emerald
    CI booty division stats
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Jcmorgan6 at Sep 28, 2017 7:51:34 AM]
    [Sep 28, 2017 7:33:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Factor93

Quick question. Will the ships with a design have the same doubloon cost when we can get the designs as they are currently listing on Obsidian (the same as on Emerald) or will they fall in line with the ship doubloon cost currently in place for all the plain ships on Obsidian?
    Factors on every ocean - Active on Obsidian

[Sep 28, 2017 9:52:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

Quick question. Will the ships with a design have the same doubloon cost when we can get the designs as they are currently listing on Obsidian (the same as on Emerald) or will they fall in line with the ship doubloon cost currently in place for all the plain ships on Obsidian?

Currently the doubloon cost is the same as other oceans for LE and I doubt that will change. Salvaging always costs the basic delivery fee for the ship type.
    #TeamPurple
    [Sep 28, 2017 10:06:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    gangsta500

Hello,

Can you elaborate on this:

Are you saying that:

If I own a shoppe and pay my taxes every week. A Governor has the right to close down my shoppe?

And, if a governor does close down the shoppe. How can I re-open the shoppe without the governor?

Thanks
    [Sep 30, 2017 1:38:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Filthyjake

Hello,

Can you elaborate on this:

Are you saying that:

If I own a shoppe and pay my taxes every week. A Governor has the right to close down my shoppe?

And, if a governor does close down the shoppe. How can I re-open the shoppe without the governor?

Thanks

Ya going be interesting to see if people will pay for a shop that they will likely have to protect via kade's or pay bribes to keep open. I don't think it is going to apply to stalls. This is why I am waiting to commit to the ocean I think this rule alone could be enough to shut down the shop keepers, as if losing a load of goods to a pvp or having it sunk wasn't bad enough now you pay 1m for a shop they close it and its rubble. RIP..... oh and if you don't have the goods out I think the get them but that may have been a suggestion of player not a mechanic .
    Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
    Filthyjake6145 (discord)
    ?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
    Casual player or yet another who moved on.
    [Sep 30, 2017 1:44:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    patgangster

Are you saying that:

Yes.

You can't. You can get your allies to take the island back (You have 30 days, as the line below your highlighted area says), and get the new governor to re-open it.
    TriplePat, Emerald.
    [Sep 30, 2017 2:50:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

It's worth noting that as far as we've been told so far, the governor can only shut down shoppes not stalls. This makes sense because there's a limit on how many shoppes that can be on islands on Obsidian, but no such limit on stalls. The system seems to be to give the ruling flag the ability to reclaim island space for their own purposes.
    #TeamPurple
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 30, 2017 3:50:06 PM]
    [Sep 30, 2017 3:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    wrs1864b

{...} I think this rule alone could be enough to shut down the shop keepers,

I gues that depends on what you mean by "shop keepers". Normally when I see people using that term, they include people who run stalls and the ocean right now is functioning well without any shops on it.

{...} now you pay 1m for a shop they close it and its rubble..

I don't think shops will go for 1M PoE on Obsidian. Selling shops on large islands on Obsidian is kind of like selling shops on outpost islands on classic YPP. Some people might understand the risks and have good reasons to do it anyway, but I suspect a LOT of people will scammed.

Right now, the only shops I can see being built for legitimately reasons are shipyards. They can produce the WFs needed to blockade other islands and so WFs will be a closely guarded monopoly. Stalls will make xebecs to try to compete, but island owning flags will have a significant advantage in the blockade game.

I've been saying this is a bad idea for a very long time and I haven't seen to change my mind. But, I guess I will soon find out.
    Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
    [Sep 30, 2017 4:34:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Filthyjake

{...} I think this rule alone could be enough to shut down the shop keepers,

I gues that depends on what you mean by "shop keepers". Normally when I see people using that term, they include people who run stalls and the ocean right now is functioning well without any shops on it.

Yes I include stalls, Im out of room already in my stalls and wish I could hold more goods/labor.... the next step well its a shop. (which I don't see me doing). Why I think we will continue to have inflated prices as is stalls can't keep up and are more work then a shop.

ex: My shop on Sayers at emerald is almost self running I update labor and check it once a week maybe twice. The small stalls I check before work, after work and then again before bed and most need some adjusting/work. So its a bit more work hence the higher prices to make it worth while. Also once people lose a load or have a shop shut down/ may just push them off the ocean. I have several shop keeping friends who already left for the old oceans, a shop being closed is just one more reason to do so.

{...} now you pay 1m for a shop they close it and its rubble..

I don't think shops will go for 1M PoE on Obsidian. Selling shops on large islands on Obsidian is kind of like selling shops on outpost islands on classic YPP. Some people might understand the risks and have good reasons to do it anyway, but I suspect a LOT of people will scammed.

Right now, the only shops I can see being built for legitimately reasons are shipyards. They can produce the WFs needed to blockade other islands and so WFs will be a closely guarded monopoly. Stalls will make xebecs to try to compete, but island owning flags will have a significant advantage in the blockade game.

I've been saying this is a bad idea for a very long time and I haven't seen to change my mind. But, I guess I will soon find out.

I have no idea what they will go for but to hold a monopoly on the large ships for kade crews such as WF's, and GF's everyone favorite floating storage is going to be valuable. Its also going to be limited to 10 which is a good thing for the value of the shops, but the ability to close them is a huge unknown. I agree that this is also a bad idea and have said so. That said I have enjoyed some of the changes, that I though I would not so I will wait skeptically.
    Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
    Filthyjake6145 (discord)
    ?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
    Casual player or yet another who moved on.
    [Sep 30, 2017 5:21:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 153   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates