• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 117
Posts: 117   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21826 times and has 116 replies Next Thread
Cronus
OceanMaster

Re: Dark Seas: Early Access Steam discussion thread Reply to this Post

Cronos,

currently i have the infinate, as well as an officer badge that degrades in 11 days.

the shoppe says it would be 7 dubs to upgrade.

bug?

Sounds like it. Can you file a /bug in game?
----------------------------------------
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Sep 14, 2017 5:51:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Concerning the SMH, would this make any sense:

Some thoughts:

-Captain defines pirate threshold
-Warning flute will sound 3 pirates before the max is reached
-Leaving the SMH after you are whisked aboard will give you a 10 min SMH ban

Awesome idea! Only problem (in my opinion) is that people will sign up, go do something, and then the captain will call and they won't go because they are doing something else. Obviously if you log off, then you automatically get removed from the list.

I am less worried about people not coming as it is a forced call of hands, so if your in a different puzzle you would forfeit. If people used the call hands once maybe twice people would respect it but I have grown tired of getting called to 20/45 so they can sail to the LP for the next hour of waiting. I would never give the captain the ability to pull me, I may be doing labor, trade ect.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Sep 14, 2017 6:43:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tornup2

Concerning the SMH, would this make any sense:

Some thoughts:

-Captain defines pirate threshold
-Warning flute will sound 3 pirates before the max is reached
-Leaving the SMH after you are whisked aboard will give you a 10 min SMH ban

Awesome idea! Only problem (in my opinion) is that people will sign up, go do something, and then the captain will call and they won't go because they are doing something else. Obviously if you log off, then you automatically get removed from the list.

I am less worried about people not coming as it is a forced call of hands, so if your in a different puzzle you would forfeit. If people used the call hands once maybe twice people would respect it but I have grown tired of getting called to 20/45 so they can sail to the LP for the next hour of waiting. I would never give the captain the ability to pull me, I may be doing labor, trade ect.

If a WF gets within 10 pirates of filling, maybe another alert can come up saying "Are you still interested in joining X" in the next 5 minutes for X.

Could do the same with all the other ships except with different numbers -- Say xebec 7, WB's 5.

This way you truly know how close the voyage is to actually being full.
[Sep 14, 2017 9:06:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CawCawCorra

Just a random suggestion/something I noticed after purchasing the explorers pack..

It comes with a 30 day parlor badge, but it doesn't come wrapped. IMO it should come wrapped and bound to the pirate if avoiding trading them off is what is being aimed for.
I already had an active parlor badge when I purchased the explorers pack, so now in my pocket I have one that expires in 15 days, and one that expires in 30 days. It doesn't seem quite right to me that I will only be getting 15 days of use out the the badge I got in the pack.
Wheelie.
[Sep 15, 2017 2:14:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

From the DLC:

Permanent Corsair blade. This sword is exclusive to this DLC and will never dust.

How close is this to the backsword?

And a package like this might be worth bringing back to the production oceans, at least on a short-term basis. With a backsword, because that's one fun-looking weapon, even if it doesn't have the greatest drop pattern in the world.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 15, 2017 4:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

From the DLC:

Permanent Corsair blade. This sword is exclusive to this DLC and will never dust.

How close is this to the backsword?

It literally is the backsword, with a different look.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Sep 15, 2017 5:04:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forevever

Cronos,

currently i have the infinate, as well as an officer badge that degrades in 11 days.

the shoppe says it would be 7 dubs to upgrade.

bug?

Sounds like it. Can you file a /bug in game?

I might be able to help with this one.
I generally keep an officer's badge and only upgrade when I need to utilize advanced functions of the SO or Captain.

The upgrade price is dependent upon on how many days are left on my basic officer badge, as the new upgraded version overwrites the older version and I get a full 30 days on the new one.

Most likely, the 7 dub cost is being applied to the 11 day badge, rather than the infinite one.

Definitely "/bug" it in game so they can fix that. The 11 day one should have disappeared when the infinite one was delivered.

Then I'd petition an OM and ask them to manually remove the 11 day one (since they can't be trashed). I suspect a relog would be then necessary, but the upgrade cost in the shoppe should be correct at that point.

BTW Cronus: The eminent package is BRILLIANT! I hope to get one soon!
Forevever and Foreverchaos
Cerulean and Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Forevever at Sep 15, 2017 8:23:09 AM]
[Sep 15, 2017 8:22:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    forevever [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

Sorry to parachute in without reading anything before or after, but that's what I have time for at the moment.

Suggestions for Jobbing with Strangers:

Overhaul the Jobbing board completely. Sort the jobs based on available puzzle rather than type of voyage. As a jobber, I should be able to see exactly what puzzle I will be playing when I hop on a ship. Maybe there's a heading that says "Bilging" and then several ships looking for bilgers below (with the crew name, the expected payment scheme, xo, other puzzles I might need to pick up in that voyage i.e. Treasure Haul or Sword Fighting). When I get to the ship, an open station for that puzzle should be obvious so I can just click it and start puzzling as quickly as possible. Once I've jobbed, it should be very easy for me to get back to that position on that ship (or maybe with that XO) in case I accidentally go ashore and discover the crew I've jobbed with has 3 different ships out.

It would be useful for jobbers to sign up for automatic jobbing notices for their favorite puzzles. "Let me know when a bilge station opens up!" I can then review jobbing notices in the Ahoy panel while I'm playing cards. Maybe I can send a swabbie (who is almost as good as me) to fill in for me on the ship until the puzzle I am currently playing finishes or a timer runs out. This lets the captain get under way and I get to finish my other stuff. I should be able to seamlessly shift into this swabbie's place at any time during the voyage, even if the crew's in a place where I wouldn't normally be able to board the ship.

For advanced jobbers, you could configure your jobbing notices to fit your specific preferences. "I want to bilge, but not in Atlantis. I'll carp, but only if I get a bonus payment. I only want to join a ship that has room for me and my brother. I'll only gun if the XO is offering double bonus in a Player Blockade. Always notify me when a Hearty has a job listing."

The other side of this is making XO an actual station on the ship. At the least, they configure the voyage and decide which stations need filled so the job listing can show the appropriate puzzles. If they're having a hard time finding people to play the carp puzzles, they can offer a bonus payment for carp. If you want to expand the position, give them some control over teaming in frays (automatically make teams of 3 or 4, let me manage all the teams, let me change my jobber's targets, etc.).

Suggestion for shop labor:
Never allow offline labor at full rate. If you want to play through 300 distilling puzzles in a day, get paid for 300 puzzles. If you don't play the puzzle, allow players to purchase apprentices who provide 8 hours of offline labor/day at a 75%(or so) rate of skill for a 75%(or so) rate of payment.

Suggestion for foraging:
I think I wrote about this recently. Never allow raw goods to get to a shop unless someone has had a sea battle to win them into player control. If this makes it harder to get specific items, good. If this makes it harder to get needed items or large swaths of items, re-adjust spawn locations.

Suggestions for blockading:
Don't use 'real' ships. When a blockade happens, a finite selection of ships-for-hire should be made available to the contending factions. Maybe anyone who enters the blockade gets a cutter to use as a flag ship and then the rest get put up for auction. Maybe the auction accepts 'real' ships at a fixed rate as part of the payment so you don't have to have all the cash on hand. All accepted payment is sunk. 'Real' ships that enter the blockade cannot contribute influence.
Also, it should somehow be possible to see the blockade board without being on a ship on the board. Maybe a telescope on the relevant island just opens it up for you.
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Sep 15, 2017 2:06:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

So, as I said earlier in the thread... if there's no fix for the lack of multi-clienting, I'm not going to spend the time and energy to play this game.

I use multiple clients for the simplest of tasks and the inconvenience not being able to do so causes puts me over the edge of "playing" and "not playing".

Can y'all (the developers) shed some light on why you can't support the steam client AND the non-steam client?

That was the old solution for the original steam release, and until earlier today I was able to access Obsidian from the beta client even after the steam version was released... so clearly it's feasible.
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Sep 15, 2017 10:12:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I don't know if this is their reasoning, but I see pretty big benefit for having it be Steam only. With the default Steam client settings everytime you open a game it sends a little popup notification to all your Steam friends. "So-and-so has started playing [game]." That's a free advertisement for Dark Seas every time anyone logs on. Steam also keeps track of how long you've played each game, but that would only be captured if played through Steam. So whenever someone looks at your Steam profile they'll see that you've played Puzzle Pirates for a huge amount of time. Contrast that to Classic Y!PP. I played it on Steam for maybe a few hours for the novelty of it and then continued using the standalone client. This looks bad for the game to Steam and to Steam users.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Sep 16, 2017 4:55:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I don't know if this is their reasoning, but I see pretty big benefit for having it be Steam only. With the default Steam client settings everytime you open a game it sends a little popup notification to all your Steam friends. "So-and-so has started playing [game]." That's a free advertisement for Dark Seas every time anyone logs on. Steam also keeps track of how long you've played each game, but that would only be captured if played through Steam. So whenever someone looks at your Steam profile they'll see that you've played Puzzle Pirates for a huge amount of time. Contrast that to Classic Y!PP. I played it on Steam for maybe a few hours for the novelty of it and then continued using the standalone client. This looks bad for the game to Steam and to Steam users.

Not sure the benefits out way the problems.

1 I am not a steam user till now, I was I hated it so I gave up those games, found puzzle pirates not on steam.

2 Steam hogs large amounts of band with yes there are setting/controls but not all will use them or know how. One of the things I love about about Puzzle Pirates is that it is simple. Now I have have to learn to work through steam to get to the simple game.

3 Steam is blocked in Hospitals, Coffee Shops, Collage Campuses and many public wifi areas because it can bog down the network if downloading.

4 I don't really want to know or have others know how much time I spend playing a game. How do I tell my 13 year old he plays to much when he can see that I play more then he does. If I know how much time I spend on the game I will realize my addiction. Which may require me to do something about it.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 16, 2017 5:20:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vias1

Another issue I haven't seen addressed yet using steam only is that my desktop link automatically opens my client without the need to put in a password. It seems very easy for the "My Little brother logged onto my account" excuse to be valid when dealing with scammers or theft.
Is there an easy way to completely log out of an account so that it requires a password every time the icon is opened?
[Sep 16, 2017 9:50:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Another issue I haven't seen addressed yet using steam only is that my desktop link automatically opens my client without the need to put in a password. It seems very easy for the "My Little brother logged onto my account" excuse to be valid when dealing with scammers or theft.
Is there an easy way to completely log out of an account so that it requires a password every time the icon is opened?

Logging out of Steam would solve this.
[Sep 16, 2017 3:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Make chest and shops have the ability to hold dubs. This will help to pass items from one account to others.

Also Ship yards need dubs for purchasing paint, should not have to come out of the owners/managers wallet, the poe doesn't. This makes partnerships work better if the managers who help the owner don't have to take poe ect for dubs to deliver paint. Better yet dump the dub deliver of paint... its the only product that is used in production that required delivery fee....
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 17, 2017 5:40:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

MAlso Ship yards need dubs for purchasing paint, should not have to come out of the owners/managers wallet, the poe doesn't. This makes partnerships work better if the managers who help the owner don't have to take poe ect for dubs to deliver paint. Better yet dump the dub deliver of paint... its the only product that is used in production that required delivery fee....

It's apothecaries that need the dubs for paint, not the shipyards. But I agree with you. If there's going to be a fee for paint, it should be in paintbrushes needed, and then paintbrushes should last per units of paint, not per day.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 17, 2017 7:51:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

MAlso Ship yards need dubs for purchasing paint, should not have to come out of the owners/managers wallet, the poe doesn't. This makes partnerships work better if the managers who help the owner don't have to take poe ect for dubs to deliver paint. Better yet dump the dub deliver of paint... its the only product that is used in production that required delivery fee....

It's apothecaries that need the dubs for paint, not the shipyards. But I agree with you. If there's going to be a fee for paint, it should be in paintbrushes needed, and then paintbrushes should last per units of paint, not per day.

I guess that depends I tend to order my paint for my ship yard, but yes Apoth could use the feature too if they wish to have it ready for dock purchase.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 17, 2017 9:49:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apocalyte8

My suggestion for the new ocean is to change the stat ranking system.

Just to give my idea of how it should work.

1. remove arch ranking and replace it with faction ranking
2. Upon joining a crew your secondary ranking is immediatly changed to that faction. If you not in a crew you are ranked under Factionless
3. Ult list would then have global(or ocean)/light/dark/factionless

this would give meaning to the secondary stat. (right now arch ranking means nothing at all) it would allow for comparison between the factions players and allow for a new trophy for global #1 and Faction #1.

I have only really thought about this for a few minutes but i personally think with some real thought this would be a much better ranking system then the current arch system.
[Sep 21, 2017 4:46:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

My suggestion for the new ocean is to change the stat ranking system.

Just to give my idea of how it should work.

1. remove arch ranking and replace it with faction ranking
2. Upon joining a crew your secondary ranking is immediatly changed to that faction. If you not in a crew you are ranked under Factionless
3. Ult list would then have global(or ocean)/light/dark/factionless

this would give meaning to the secondary stat. (right now arch ranking means nothing at all) it would allow for comparison between the factions players and allow for a new trophy for global #1 and Faction #1.

I have only really thought about this for a few minutes but i personally think with some real thought this would be a much better ranking system then the current arch system.

Yeeesss, I like. I very much like. I think someone else might have mentioned it before, and I'm growing more fond of the idea.
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Sep 21, 2017 5:29:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

Here's my weekly bump/reminder that the game would be approximately 100x better with paid skilled swabbies for our ships. Let me hire enough swabbies to run stuff immediately without needing to wait on players. If

Here's a repost of what I put earlier in the thread so it has fresh eyes and better visiblity:
I wrote: 
Give us skilled swabbies that we can hire in port for our voyages.

Here's the basic outline of my idea:

Allow players access to skilled swabbies that will provide a minimum of "good" on any station they occupy.

Captains would be able to acces a "Hiring Board" from the helm of their vessel where they are able to select the amount of swabbies they want to hire. Each swabbie would have a flat rate of something like 2 or 3k poe each.

For simplicity sake, each swabbie could just be equally skilled at each puzzle. That way, whichever station they get ordered to occupy they will provide at least a good.

Swabbies can:
1. Occupy sails/carp/bilge/guns providing a minimum of a "good" on each.
2. Contribute to a booty ramp.
3. Take their "cut" of each booty division.

Swabbies can not:
1. Treasure Haul <- A big disadvantage to taking a huge amount of swabbies into atlantis or HS.
2. Attack greedy brigands/barbarians (i.e. they won't get chests)
3. Be controlled/focused to team in swordfights/rumbles.
4. Provide influence in blockades. They will also be paid per segment as if they were a normal jobber.

Incentives to job players & for those players to puzzle:
1. For SMH's, swabbies can't treasure haul or forage in any way, so if you want to actually get booty you'll need players on board to TH. Same for pillages; swabbies don't care about properly fighting greedies, so they'll just go HAM on each one.
2. Players can increase their chance of getting chests and such in the booty if they are on a normal duty station puzzling. The more they puzzle the higher the chances of them getting something.

Here's the pros/cons:

Pros:
1. Players are able to breaks whenever they want; if the captain hired enough swabbies there should always be a spare swabbie somewhere to fill in on their station while they take a break.

2. Ships can leave port almost immediately for any voyage.

3. Big ships can be utilized more often. Even Grand Frigates.

4. Arranged PvP's can be on equal footing from the start, and are able to be set up with little to no effort.

5. Personally, I'd be willing to hire anyone that wants to come from the time I leave port to the time I enter the SMH. Zero stat screening. This is because I need players on board to help treasure haul. You don't need to be 1337 to spam click the TH screen.

Cons:

1. There's less incentive to hire players, but not zero incentive.

2. Some ringer 10+ years ago said no.

Honestly I'm pretty biased, so I'm having a hard time coming up with more cons.

Please tear the idea apart and I'll come up with a reasonable solution for any issues you can find.
Sid on Obsidian

[Sep 21, 2017 6:40:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Pros:
1. Players are able to breaks whenever they want; if the captain hired enough swabbies there should always be a spare swabbie somewhere to fill in on their station while they take a break.

2. Ships can leave port almost immediately for any voyage.

3. Big ships can be utilized more often. Even Grand Frigates.

4. Arranged PvP's can be on equal footing from the start, and are able to be set up with little to no effort.

5. Personally, I'd be willing to hire anyone that wants to come from the time I leave port to the time I enter the SMH. Zero stat screening. This is because I need players on board to help treasure haul. You don't need to be 1337 to spam click the TH screen.

So I can take a group of SF out and let them laze while this is good its also not great. If swabies can be hired during the run the run can last for hours and hours. I personally like to see the divi.

Leaving Port with a ship full of swabies gives you the only player a higher percentage of chest, as you could do 5 battles before hiring.

Larger could be used to attack smaller by planking the bots in a pvp or people could hire quick to gain advantage of falsifying pvp might ring

Botts could complacently continuously man the ships station and while people t-hall. (Thinking tillas)

Cons:

1. There's less incentive to hire players, but not zero incentive.

2. Some ringer 10+ years ago said no.

I could see my self solo pillaging a lot, I hate hiring jobbers. If I could get 6 bots on my sloop pulling goods, I would go mop up greedies all day long. Even if the bots kill them I could get 1-2 each fight easy and the LL is mine as they don't get them.

If the ringer is now on staff it could be an issue. Seems like the game isn't changing much which leads me to think the staff moved. If they hold the same idea's they did as OOO well then I wouldn't expect much change.

In my opinion we need better bots then low able especially on a pvp ocean. It would be so easy to get 2-3 people from a crew to join a sloop pillage and plot a ambush.
Simply look at the route, pillage away have fun. Make sure your the Gunner and have a ship set to an island in route near port. All three hop 1-2 LP from island and grab your ambush ship. You will be up against A naver with out a gunner, and some horrific bots. So If the Captains nav ability's are equal, The sails are Excellent vs Able, Gunner Good/Exrlent vs Able. ect... Ship sunk or 100% loot taken. In a fray 3 real players and a bot will woop 1 player and 3 bots.

I don't think it should go into SMH, Flotilla's, or Blockades as a new hire, if someone leaves your first 10% of ship size can have the Good Stat. Example if a WB loses 6 people 3 bots would be "Good" 3 would be "Able" All could be planked/dismissed if one wishes for CITs ect...
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Filthyjake at Sep 21, 2017 7:32:06 PM]
[Sep 21, 2017 7:27:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

TL;DR I'm refuting/providing solutions for issues with my proposed idea of being able to hire skilled swabbies in port.
Filthyjake wrote: 
So I can take a group of SF out and let them laze while this is good its also not great. If swabies can be hired during the run the run can last for hours and hours. I personally like to see the divi.

Sure. I see zero problem with this. The incentive for your jobbers to puzzle is that they'll get a bigger cut of potential chests/lockers at the end if they were working a station and doing well.
If somebody wants to go out for 20 hours straight and do a pillage with bots I see zero problem with that. If you don't like it and want to see the divy, don't job for them in the future.
Keep in mind, with my proposal bots will be treated as if they were a player for booty/division purposes. The booty ramp would be affected by them the same as if they were a player of equal stats. They will take an equal/fair share of the poe with each divsion. You could even add a message letting you know how much of the poe/chests went to the bots. "Arrrr, ye swabbie crew took 21,234 pieces of eight from the division for their cut!"
In port the swabbies would also get an equal shot at chests. This is just to prevent a small group from slamming out a ton of lavish lockers on a pillage and then having a huge amount of chests for a small amount of players. I didn't explicitly state that in my proposal; I kinda bundled it in with the "[swabbies can] take their "cut" of each booty division".
Filthyjake wrote: 
Leaving Port with a ship full of swabies gives you the only player a higher percentage of chest, as you could do 5 battles before hiring.

See above.
The swabbies WILL NOT acquire lavish lockers or chests in Atlantis/HS. They are purely there to station and brawl when necessary. They could also be statted to be somewhere around respected or master in SF/Rumble so that a ship with a large number of swabbies will have a hard time against harder enemies in a brawl.
As for the concern in the quote, since the swabbies won't be acquiring lavish lockers in battle then the only lockers you'd get would be the ones that you (the single player on the ship) get. At the booty division the bots would get an equal share of every LL earned. This means that if you earn one LL on a sloop with 6 bots + yourself, you'd only have a 1/7 chance of actually getting that LL. Thus the incentive to hire actual players.
Filthyjake wrote: 
Larger could be used to attack smaller by planking the bots in a pvp or people could hire quick to gain advantage of falsifying pvp might ring

Planking your bots off your large ship in a PvP would leave you dead in the water...? I don't see your point here. The swabbies would contribute to your might ring the same way an equally statted player would.
With my proposal the bots would only be able to be hired at port, so the risk of hiring a bunch on right before an engagement is a non-issue since it's impossible to do.
Filthyjake wrote: 
Botts could complacently continuously man the ships station and while people t-hall. (Thinking tillas)

Add in a negative multiplier to sail token production for each player that is treasure hauling. The reasoning being if you have a bunch of people throwing nets overboard and hauling up treasure/chests it'll create a lot of drag in the water and slow the vessel down.
You could extend the negative multiplier to bilge and carp if you felt so inclined. No logical reason other than balance.
Filthyjake wrote: 
I could see my self solo pillaging a lot, I hate hiring jobbers. If I could get 6 bots on my sloop pulling goods, I would go mop up greedies all day long. Even if the bots kill them I could get 1-2 each fight easy and the LL is mine as they don't get them.

Like I said above; the line in my proposal about swabbies taking their cut of the booty includes all chests and lockers earned. If you earn 10 lavish lockers, those are divided amongst ALL the bots and players on the vessel. That means if you have a sloop of you + 6 bots and you earned 10 chests throughout the entire pillage, those 10 chests are distributed amongst the 7 souls on the vessel so you're likely to only get 1 or 2 of them in this scenario.
Again, this is a huge reason why you would be motivated to hire real players. Swabbies aren't earning chests in battle but they're taking a cut of them anyway. Players WOULD be earning chests in battle and also taking a cut, so you're more likely to come out ahead with hiring real players.
Chests going to bots are just sunk. Same with the poe.
Filthyjake wrote: 
In my opinion we need better bots then low able especially on a pvp ocean. It would be so easy to get 2-3 people from a crew to join a sloop pillage and plot a ambush.
Simply look at the route, pillage away have fun. Make sure your the Gunner and have a ship set to an island in route near port. All three hop 1-2 LP from island and grab your ambush ship. You will be up against A naver with out a gunner, and some horrific bots. So If the Captains nav ability's are equal, The sails are Excellent vs Able, Gunner Good/Exrlent vs Able. ect... Ship sunk or 100% loot taken. In a fray 3 real players and a bot will woop 1 player and 3 bots.

I don't think it should go into SMH, Flotilla's, or Blockades as a new hire, if someone leaves your first 10% of ship size can have the Good Stat. Example if a WB loses 6 people 3 bots would be "Good" 3 would be "Able" All could be planked/dismissed if one wishes for CITs ect...

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're saying in all of this, but I don't think any of it is directed at my idea directly so I won't respond to it.

Another big pro that I didn't mention: If we have to pay a flat rate for each swabbie in addition to them receiving a cut of the booty, it would be a pretty large poe sink. If I wanted to hire a WF full of bots at 3k per swabbie it'd be over 150k for each station to have a bot manning it. If I sink in Atlantis that's just a straight poe sink of 150k.
EDIT: Formatting
Sid on Obsidian

[Edit 5 times, last edit by Strider399 at Sep 21, 2017 11:23:58 PM]
[Sep 21, 2017 11:14:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Filthyjake wrote:

Planking your bots off your large ship in a PvP would leave you dead in the water...? I don't see your point here. The swabbies would contribute to your might ring the same way an equally statted player would.
With my proposal the bots would only be able to be hired at port, so the risk of hiring a bunch on right before an engagement is a non-issue since it's impossible to do.

I could have a full swabbing staff on a dhow or LS arrive at my pvp target a sloop perhaps, see a blue ring, plank till its a green ring then attack. Hiring at port is important.

Filthyjake wrote:

Add in a negative multiplier to sail token production for each player that is treasure hauling. The reasoning being if you have a bunch of people throwing nets overboard and hauling up treasure/chests it'll create a lot of drag in the water and slow the vessel down.
You could extend the negative multiplier to bilge and carp if you felt so inclined. No logical reason other than balance.

I could be wrong but have read many times that Treasure hall actual is a positive multiplier to the duty puzzles, much like Dnav.

Over all I am in agreement with you that we need better bots on the ships,
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 22, 2017 8:45:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Filthyjake wrote: 
I could be wrong but have read many times that Treasure hall actual is a positive multiplier to the duty puzzles, much like Dnav.

https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Release_2007-09-04
This release stated that treasure haul contributes a small amount to each duty - that might include a small multiplier factor, or it could be a small adder.
Duty navigation multiplies the effectiveness of a ship's sailors only.
[Sep 22, 2017 10:36:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Sulevaie

If the goal is to move away from alt armies for labor, then having labor badges stackable would be an excellent fix. I'd immediately stop using my labor alts if this change occurred.

I support this change.

Edit: But put a limit on how many times it stacks.
Twiggy on Obsidian and Meridian
Vulpine on Meridian
Suleviae on Obsidian and Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sulevaie at Sep 23, 2017 10:25:28 AM]
[Sep 23, 2017 10:24:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

Filthyjake wrote: 

https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Release_2007-09-04
This release stated that treasure haul contributes a small amount to each duty - that might include a small multiplier factor, or it could be a small adder.
Duty navigation multiplies the effectiveness of a ship's sailors only.

It currently does add some kind of net positive to the ship performance when folks haul.

What I'm suggesting is that since bots will keep puzzling while players haul, ships will have very little threat to let players haul continuously. To prevent that, we should change the current system so that it slightly subtracts overall performance. It would end up with about the same amount of token generation.
Sid on Obsidian

[Sep 23, 2017 5:30:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
whatthejish

List of questions I do have:
  • Will payments be exclusively made through Steam (and not yer website)?
  • Will you sell DLC content on yer Steam page ( YPP Adventures/Backsword/Savy hat)
  • Will you revamp the referral system (e.g provide banners, reward trophies, milestone bonuses) so people will be able to advertise yer game properly?
  • Will you change the content of the store page (more screenshots, no black borders)? Some of the pictures are edited versions from the original Puzzle Pirates page.
  • Will you update the ingame puzzles/boards to support a high resolution (no empty space)?
  • How will the balance changes look like during the open beta and what changes are your priority? Is Obsidian comparable to Ice until it launches? How "drastic" will the changes be?
  • Will you add Steam Achievements and also design Trading Cards?
  • Will you add reviews? Will you reach out to be reviewed by companies like metacritic?

Hmm, nice Avatar dude o_O
Dionysos, Cobalt and Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by whatthejish at Oct 31, 2017 8:28:40 PM]
[Oct 31, 2017 8:27:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BootHook

Can we use Dark Seas as an opportunity to rebalance the Rumble Bludgeons?
Bug: Fix the multi-row sprinkles in Rumble

Rumbling Guide 1
Rumbling Guide 2
Rumble Videos
[Nov 5, 2017 1:27:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 117   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates