• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 117
Posts: 117   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21941 times and has 116 replies Next Thread
Hera
OceanMaster

Dark Seas: Early Access Steam discussion thread Reply to this Post

Thread for discussing the Early Access Steam FAQ here If you have questions or comments, please let us know!
----------------------------------------
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Sep 6, 2017 3:07:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

Re: Dark Seas: Early Access Steam discussion thread Reply to this Post

Will we be able to link multiple accounts to one steam account?

If not what's the plan for people with labor alts? Are we allowed/able to make multiple steam accounts to manage them?

What is steam integration going to give us outside of a new means to expose the game to new players?

Will there be a road map like there is for many other steam EA games?

Will there be a founders-package of sorts for people who decide to help fund the development of Dark Seas on steam?

What is GH's official stance on communication? Will we see more dev interaction here or on the steam discussion forums?

Will there be any promotions planned for the EA release? (Dub discounts, events, etc?)

I'd like to see discussion of these things and maybe even some official answers.
[Sep 6, 2017 3:11:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
123park

Just so that it doesn't cause any confusion to myself, or any others, by saying that only One account can be tied to One Steam Client, does this mean that having multiple Steam clients open at once (through virtual machines or whatever way people are using to have multiple clients opened) will not be permitted?
Technitium
[Sep 6, 2017 3:11:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

I have asked about this:

I think the relevant line here is "Our policy for alts won't change"
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Sep 6, 2017 3:18:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Just so that it doesn't cause any confusion to myself, or any others, by saying that only One account can be tied to One Steam Client, does this mean that having multiple Steam clients open at once (through virtual machines or whatever way people are using to have multiple clients opened) will not be permitted?

That just means that a Steam account can only link to one of your current at any given time. We're not changing any policy regarding alt accounts.
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Cronus at Sep 7, 2017 7:41:56 PM]
[Sep 6, 2017 3:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I have asked about this:

I think the relevant line here is "Our policy for alts won't change"

Well over an hour I have two steam acounts but they both only go to the one puzzle pirate account.

I can change it but it only allows one account if someone figures it out let me know.

By the way Steam is ANNOYING /e rages.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Sep 6, 2017 3:27:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Macpirateer

Asking this one for a few flag members of ours. Will this client also support Linux access?
[Sep 6, 2017 4:05:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

That just means that a Steam account can only link to one of your current accounts and the pirates on that account. If you want to have a second Steam account to run some labor alts, you're more than welcome to. We're not changing any policy regarding alt accounts.

Is this some sort of weird joke I'm not following? Is GH THIS out of tune with how people play this game and how Steam works?

Let's pretend for a moment that Steam guard isn't a thing because if you're just getting steam to play this game...a) ??? what ??? b) it's not really necessary to have a steam account all nice and secure for your Puzzle Pirates alts only.

Running two steam accounts at once is a pain in the butt. I think most of the casual gamers that make up Puzzle Pirates nowadays and in future won't know how to do this. At the same time, people use alts all the time and often more than one at a time. For labor, for jobbing contacts, to go by a different name in carousing puzzles, hell even in blockades for weak manned ships to sit on isolated points.

In what world do you see people learning how to do this (which doesn't even work "properly") for this game? In what world do you see this game working as "designed" with a small boost to current population, but a massive drop off in alts? If we're going to say "We don't like alts, we don't like labor alt armies, we're getting rid of them" fine. But saying "Oh yeah, alts are cool but we're just making it much, much, much harder to use them" is a little silly.

I realize this isn't ezpz programming necessarily, but surely having steam launch the current client so you can log into whatever account you want would make much more sense.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Sep 6, 2017 4:40:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zanreth

I think this is a great opportunity to reduce the price of a labour badge. Either completely remove the badge or make it cost a very insignificant price. Get every pirate on the ocean involved in labour and playing the crafting puzzles.
Albert, Obsidian, Defiant Armada
Calicojack, Emerald
[Sep 6, 2017 4:46:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Is this some sort of weird joke I'm not following? Is GH THIS out of tune with how people play this game and how Steam works?

IDK....
I allays have 2 pirates on one to watch the board, talk do labor while waiting 3 hours for smh to load, since I pokers is destroyed xP.

Can't imagine what this is going to do to blockades scene normally have a pirate on a watch ship, on the board and occasionally actually working.

I think this is a great opportunity to reduce the price of a labor badge. Either completely remove the badge or make it cost a very insignificant price. Get every pirate on the ocean involved in labor and playing the crafting puzzles.

Or flip directions and make it s subscription ocean or fix the artificial inflation of dubs by dub merch's then all things dub related would be fixed.

In all honesty thanks for the communication its been a long time coming and much needed, even if some of the changes made are not to my liking.

Not sure if its a bug or not but I have gotten Mugs, Swords (foils), and clothing from SMH's even though in the News it is listed as a change.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 6, 2017 5:05:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Can you find some way to allow multiple accounts per Steam account? Labour alts shouldn't require an entire new Steam account to access =(
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Sep 6, 2017 5:09:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

I realize this isn't ezpz programming necessarily, but surely having steam launch the current client so you can log into whatever account you want would make much more sense.

Considering you used to be able to log on to whatever account you wanted with the old Steam client for the other oceans, I think this was actually a purposeful change. I haven't tried logging onto different accounts with one Steam on DS yet, and if I do, I won't be testing it with my main or labor alt since it is implied accounts can be lost by doing so. If it is true that you can no longer use two accounts on the same Steam, then I will be Quite Disappointed.

Logging on and off of Steam every time I want to change alts is not my idea of fun. Especially not when the game is so badly balanced that one needs alts to run a stall competitively at this time.

(Though I wouldn't mind if fixing labor took more priority than making it so we could alt easy again. However, in all the years that labor has had these issues, there still has been no fix offered. Please do something about this issue.)
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Sep 6, 2017 5:19:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Well, pardon the obvious, but allowing login via the Steam client or a separate standalone client would fix the above concerns and likely not be that difficult to do. In fact, only permitting logins via Steam seems largely counter-intuitive. It really puts the average player who accesses the game via Steam at no great disadvantage, and since the client is the same deployment via a different channel - it shouldn't create any extra work to allow secondary access.
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 6, 2017 5:45:18 PM]
[Sep 6, 2017 5:43:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nkirbit

Once the beta is live on steam will all purchases be through steam? Or will you continue to use the current payment server?
Endless
[Sep 6, 2017 6:08:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Ahoy!

Everybody seems to be concerned with alt accounts on Steam... I'm not even there yet! :P

My first question is: when the early access on Steam comes out, will I no longer be able to use the test client we are currently using?
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Sep 6, 2017 6:10:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Odyn9

Ahoy!

Everybody seems to be concerned with alt accounts on Steam... I'm not even there yet! :P

My first question is: when the early access on Steam comes out, will I no longer be able to use the test client we are currently using?

Ahoy!

We're excited to announce that Dark Seas is headed into Early Access on Steam very soon. Once that happens, you will need to log in through Steam rather than the test client you were using. You can add Dark Seas to your wishlist to be notified of when it's released. Don't worry mates, we'll also post here.

Zaye - Emerald
Odyn - Obsidian

-Seven Deadliest Sins-
[Sep 6, 2017 8:44:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Ah. Thanks.
Might have gotten crosseyed and thought it was just an option rather than a 'need to'.
:)
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Sep 6, 2017 9:37:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

That just means that a Steam account can only link to one of your current accounts and the pirates on that account. If you want to have a second Steam account to run some labor alts, you're more than welcome to. We're not changing any policy regarding alt accounts.

Let's pretend for a moment that Steam guard isn't a thing because if you're just getting steam to play this game...a) ??? what ??? b) it's not really necessary to have a steam account all nice and secure for your Puzzle Pirates alts only.

Running two steam accounts at once is a pain in the butt. I think most of the casual gamers that make up Puzzle Pirates nowadays and in future won't know how to do this. At the same time, people use alts all the time and often more than one at a time. For labor, for jobbing contacts, to go by a different name in carousing puzzles, hell even in blockades for weak manned ships to sit on isolated points.

In what world do you see people learning how to do this (which doesn't even work "properly") for this game? In what world do you see this game working as "designed" with a small boost to current population, but a massive drop off in alts? If we're going to say "We don't like alts, we don't like labor alt armies, we're getting rid of them" fine. But saying "Oh yeah, alts are cool but we're just making it much, much, much harder to use them" is a little silly.

Labor alts are unaffected by this, because you don't need to multi-client in order to use them. Granted, there's some effort in setting everything up in order to keep using them though.

While this change won't stop the upper-end players from multi-clienting (unless they just don't want to put the effort into doing it), it will help stop alt abuse in terms of jobbing multiple pirates and being paid for scoring poor on 5 different pirates instead of good+ on one pirate. I imagine if you want to know how to "scam" like this to gain additional eights quickly, you can search the web for that info. It's just a guess, so I could be wrong, the details might not be published.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Sep 6, 2017 10:23:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Blockades will be the most impacted from the pain it will be to have more than one steam account open at any time.

I for one generally use 3 accounts when LA/JCing, one to watch the board, one to watch the NB and one actually on a ship jobbing - sometimes 2 jobbing. This is not abnormal and many others do exactly the same thing.

I understand this is how steam works, but boy is it going to be painful.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Sep 7, 2017 12:07:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Labor alts are unaffected by this, because you don't need to multi-client in order to use them.

I can't work on my labor alt while may main is sitting on a ship waiting to load so it does, not in a major way but it does, I have used my full free hours while waiting on many of SMH's to load. Waiting for a ship to load is also a great time to renew labor.

While this change won't stop the upper-end players from multi-clienting (unless they just don't want to put the effort into doing it), it will help stop alt abuse in terms of jobbing multiple pirates and being paid for scoring poor on 5 different pirates instead of good+ on one pirate. I imagine if you want to know how to "scam" like this to gain additional eights quickly, you can search the web for that info. It's just a guess, so I could be wrong, the details might not be published

Please tell me where to find this, I don't want to scam or break rules but I do like to watch the notice board which can't be checked while on a ship. I also multi client for the following reasons:

~Is a PVP coming in the SMH I am IN
~Global/Trade/Fraction Chat on alt so I can see what is said on the vessel chat yet not miss out on other valuable information
~Is a friend loading (please don't make me listen to global chat)
~High paying tournaments someone launches a 500k tourney and the SF all are going to stay for 1k battle or jump off and go to the inn.
~Is a SMH loading or close to full, I often pillage while it loads (poker sucks now) If I can't see I have to hop on and off (that is going to annoy those worried about booty ramp.
~xD Ill stop now as to not make a huge wall of text but I can think of many many many more reasons where 2 accounts being logged in at the same time is valuable.

None of those are scams.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 7, 2017 6:03:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
doesntsave

List of questions I do have:
  • Will payments be exclusively made through Steam (and not yer website)?
  • Will you sell DLC content on yer Steam page ( YPP Adventures/Backsword/Savy hat)
  • Will you revamp the referral system (e.g provide banners, reward trophies, milestone bonuses) so people will be able to advertise yer game properly?
  • Will you change the content of the store page (more screenshots, no black borders)? Some of the pictures are edited versions from the original Puzzle Pirates page.
  • Will you update the ingame puzzles/boards to support a high resolution (no empty space)?
  • How will the balance changes look like during the open beta and what changes are your priority? Is Obsidian comparable to Ice until it launches? How "drastic" will the changes be?
  • Will you add Steam Achievements and also design Trading Cards?
  • Will you add reviews? Will you reach out to be reviewed by companies like metacritic?

---
Complain on Obsidian

Supporter of Team Evil
"Yarr, purple aint nothin' but a color!"
[Sep 7, 2017 8:25:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

I can (sort of) answer a few of those:

• Will payments be exclusively made through Steam (and not yer website)?

• I remember them saying that this was the plan - and that it was the reason Obsidian doesn't currently have a lot of payment options.

• Will you add Steam Achievements and also design Trading Cards?

• The original Puzzle Pirates has a good bunch of its trophies available as Steam Achievements - I'd imagine the Dark Seas will have the same.
    TriplePat, Emerald.
    [Sep 7, 2017 8:35:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    majestrate

Filthyjake wrote: 
    I can't work on my labor alt while may main is sitting on a ship waiting to load so it does, not in a major way but it does, I have used my full free hours while waiting on many of SMH's to load. Waiting for a ship to load is also a great time to renew labor.

Having labor alts isn't broken. You can continue having them. What is impacted is multi-clienting.

Filthyjake wrote: 
    Please tell me where to find this, I don't want to scam or break rules but I do like to watch the notice board which can't be checked while on a ship. I also multi client for the following reasons:

~Is a PVP coming in the SMH I am IN
    ~Global/Trade/Fraction Chat on alt so I can see what is said on the vessel chat yet not miss out on other valuable information
    ~Is a friend loading (please don't make me listen to global chat)
    ~High paying tournaments someone launches a 500k tourney and the SF all are going to stay for 1k battle or jump off and go to the inn.
    ~Is a SMH loading or close to full, I often pillage while it loads (poker sucks now) If I can't see I have to hop on and off (that is going to annoy those worried about booty ramp.
    ~xD Ill stop now as to not make a huge wall of text but I can think of many many many more reasons where 2 accounts being logged in at the same time is valuable.

None of those are scams.

You can use your favorite search engine to find out how to multi-client with Steam. You'll have to figure out which identified solutions work for you and which one works best for you.
    #TeamEvil
    Marto wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Sep 7, 2017 9:04:12 AM]
    [Sep 7, 2017 8:58:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
    majestrate

cala wrote: 
    Blockades will be the most impacted from the pain it will be to have more than one steam account open at any time.

I for one generally use 3 accounts when LA/JCing, one to watch the board, one to watch the NB and one actually on a ship jobbing - sometimes 2 jobbing. This is not abnormal and many others do exactly the same thing.

I understand this is how steam works, but boy is it going to be painful.

Surely there is a thread somewhere that requests Jobbing Contact be a blockade position? Maybe going all the way back to when blockade pay was a manual thing? If so, bump the thread? If not, maybe make a suggestion for such a position? Where if you're the JC and there are multiple ships loading, you can hire applicants and choose what ship they get whisked to? Then you'd be able to stay on the isle and watch the NB but still be able to hire people and get them whisked to the proper ship?
    #TeamEvil
    Marto wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Sep 7, 2017 9:03:36 AM]
    [Sep 7, 2017 9:02:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
    EmpressTamar

If multi-clienting won't be possible or will be very difficult I don't see much reason to continue playing. The game doesn't have the sort of population where it's easy to load things, so it's nice to go on other runs while waiting for several hours on a ship.
    Empresstamar of Emerald.
    Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
    [Sep 7, 2017 9:50:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

Could not agree more. It is just crazy to require more than one Steam account to be signed in at any one time.
    #TeamPurple
    [Sep 7, 2017 10:48:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Magicalmowse

It's not just the ability to multiclient that's affected. Personally I can even live with the ability to only be on one account at a time (though not ideal)

However alot of people essentially have more than one "main" pirate, myself included. Having to have a second steam account in order to access a second game account is one of the stupidest things about this ocean to date and will effectively deter a lot of players from following the game to Steam.

Why remove the ability to log out of one account and into another as is the case with the existing Steam client?!

(It would still deter people from "abusing" multiclients if that is the concern?)
    Mara & Tams on Obsidian
    Tams (& several others!) on Emerald
    Tee on Meridian

Avatar by the incredible and lovely Crabcake!
    [Sep 7, 2017 12:02:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    BobJanova

Is Steam-only a condition of Valve listing it? Because that's going to lose a lot of the existing players (probably including me, tbh) and it makes multiclienting a lot more difficult. Other games which have a Steam release that I play (Planetside 2, EVE) also have standalone clients
    Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
    Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
    Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
    Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
    [Sep 7, 2017 12:08:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

Is Steam-only a condition of Valve listing it? Because that's going to lose a lot of the existing players (probably including me, tbh) and it makes multiclienting a lot more difficult. Other games which have a Steam release that I play (Planetside 2, EVE) also have standalone clients

Would be interested in this, but my suspicion is that coding for dual access/logins is an added layer of complexity for the devs. But would be so worth doing.
    #TeamPurple
    [Sep 7, 2017 12:36:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Magicalmowse

Would be interested in this, but my suspicion is that coding for dual access/logins is an added layer of complexity for the devs. But would be so worth doing.

The current Puzzle Pirates client on Steam allows logging out and into another account.
    Mara & Tams on Obsidian
    Tams (& several others!) on Emerald
    Tee on Meridian

Avatar by the incredible and lovely Crabcake!
    [Sep 7, 2017 12:53:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 117   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates