• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3532 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
jwachtel

memming in obsidian ocean Reply to this Post

I have been trying to mem the ocean, and I know others have done it well but it always gives me a poor or booched no matter how well I do.. It also never seems to increase my stats so I always have to start as if I were a greenie with only one point in the nav puzzle.
I have only memmed two islands despite doing the puzzle almost daily.
I am getting fast combos, rarely make a mistake and yet I get rated as poor making it impossible to get credit for that point in the route. /the only times it gives me a good score are on the points i already have memmed.
does any one else have this problem? /any solutions?
[Aug 6, 2017 1:02:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Re: memming in obsidian ocean Reply to this Post

There's a couple things going on here. First is the ocean - Obsidian is very difficult to get good scores on because so many old players have returned who are super good at the puzzles. I'm leg/ult on Emerald but only ren/gm on Obsidian. So if you were to try memming another ocean, you would probably score higher.

The other issue is how you're playing the puzzle. Unless we see exactly how you're playing we can't give too specific advice, however I'm getting the impression you play it as a speed puzzle rather than efficiency, the same way that bilge is. Every time you drop a piece, you lose points on your meter. Therefore, you want to fill your combos while using as few pieces possible. You don't want to break 3s of stars unless absolutely necessary to clear space on your board. This means you will often need to be very careful in moving your rings around the board and leave gaps on the lower levels while still building upwards. You can get increds without ever hitting your spacebar. If you are making ANY mistakes at all, you should be slowing down and studying your board more carefully. I also suggest you read some guides or watch some videos on Youtube to see how to better play.

Also, based on the fact you only have 1 point on the nav puzzle, I'm assuming you're able or proficient. At this level you will only have 1-3 stars on the puzzle that you need to fill. Because of this, it is even more important for you to focus on efficiency. It's possible to drop so many pieces in filling a board that you will actually LOSE points by clearing it, which is why you're getting booches. Since you're not doing well enough at the puzzle to increase your stat, which would increase the number of stars you have to clear per board, you need to increase your points on the nav puzzle a different way. Every time you fill up the stars on the left side of your screen, it adds an extra point/star. You will need to fill up those stars several times to start getting bigger combos, where it is possible to gain more points per board. In order to do this, chart a very long dnav course instead of a short one that only goes between two islands. If you have the time, chart a course that will take you 40-60 minutes to complete. On Obsidian, the course that I started out with is the route between Night Harbor and Point Venture. Lion Haven to Point Venture is another good one. By doing a long course like this, by the middle or end you should start getting higher scores because you will have better combos to work with.
----------------------------------------
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Aug 6, 2017 2:50:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

If you have a friend who is an officer or higher, and is willing to hop on and off to re-chart your ship for you while you work on a route, here's another tip:

-Make sure your chart(s) are on the chart table of your ship, and not in your pocket inventory
- Do not port when you reach your destination.
- Do not leave your station.
-Ask your friend to come aboard and re-chart your ship back in the direction you came from. Your puzzle will reset, but your performance meter will not, and the number of boards you cleared/stars that have gone up, will not reset.

The charts have to be on the table of the ship, and NOT in your pockets, in order for your friend to chart it back (unless your friend has it memmed already.)

I usually make a pass on a route 5 times before I take my first peek to see if I've memmed anything.

Good luck!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Aug 7, 2017 2:00:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

If you make sure that you chart so that the end of your planned route is not the end of your charted route, then your puzzle won't even reset if you follow Dexla's instructions.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Aug 7, 2017 5:20:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
ZFMarbles

If you make sure that you chart so that the end of your planned route is not the end of your charted route, then your puzzle won't even reset if you follow Dexla's instructions.

I'm not sure this is explained fully. To avoid resetting your board, don't rechart at an island LP
[Aug 8, 2017 12:14:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I'm not sure this is explained fully. To avoid resetting your board, don't rechart at an island LP

No, that's not what resets the puzzle. Running to the end of a charted route resets the puzzle. (Of course that only happens at islands.) So if you always chart to one island beyond the route you plan to sail, you will not run to the end of your course and get your puzzle reset.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Aug 8, 2017 11:17:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

Dont use sails in the beginning. Let the 4 bots carp and bilge on a sloop. Then play 5 mins or longer the dnav puzzle. This is called a preburner. Turn before ye reach a LP. Then you will have more stars on the left side. After this let 2 bots sail and reach the first LP with a fine or more. You will mostly get a good and on higher levels an excellent. After this go for a long memming run. I prefer memming in 1 hour intervalls.

I like to mem oceans with 8 stars on the left side. These maps are better for memming. Only for getting the #1 on an ocean i use the 9 stars maps.

Have fun!
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt (Obsidian)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[Aug 9, 2017 2:07:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates