• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8997 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Cronus
OceanMaster

Obsidian Screenshots Contest [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Screenshots Contest

We're looking for screencaps of gameplay on Dark Seas. It's possible that we end up using the winning entries on our store page. It's also possible we use several people's entries. So what we're looking for are several action packed bits of gameplay that you think highlight the best of Dark Seas and Puzzle Pirates.

Prizes:
Prizes will scale depending on participation. However at minimum the winner will pick a standard Octo in any standard color. No all black, all white, hats, or limited edition colors. Other prizes will depend on participation, but will likely include things like a Greenbones doll, renamed ships, or other trinkets.

Deadline:
11:59 pm game time on July 16th. Do not edit your entry after this point.

Entry Thread:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2710031

Create a screenshot:

• Deadline for the event is 11:59 pm game time on July 16th.
  • The screenshots must highlight the gameplay or life on Dark Seas. Think of what you like the most or what you'd want people to see of the game.
  • Image requirements: The image should be a .png.
  • If there is a lot of blank space on your screen because of your resolution, you'll want to lower it. That means most gameplay should be at 800x600 (32 bit). However you can use higher resolutions if your highlighting areas that expand properly, like sea battles or island scenes.
  • Please note that our TOS applies to links you post. Please avoid any inappropriate language in your image.
  • Try to highlight the pirate world. So if there is chat, let's make it pirate speek.
  • Create a smaller version of your image (no larger than 500x500)
  • Upload your screenshots to an image hosting service.

Enter your Screenshot:

• Post your entry to the Entry Thread (here ).
  • Include your pirate name and the ocean you'd like any prizes on.
  • Provide a link to the larger image and then place the smaller inside your post so it's immediately viewable (using img tags).
  • Include your octo color choice. No all black, all white, or limited edition colors.
  • Pirates are welcome to submit more than one entry and may win more than one prize. Please use the same entry thread for ease of reading.
  • Please keep the entry thread for posting your entry only. All questions should be posted in this thread.
  • By entering you are consenting to allow us to use your screenshot for advertisement or other promotional material. This includes making edits or changes.

Entry Example:

Pirate: Cronus
Ocean: Obsidian
Link to full size:
Link to smaller version: No larger than 500x500
Standard Octo Familiar color: No black, white, or LE colors.

----------------------------------------
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Demeter at Feb 17, 2018 6:58:01 AM]
[Jul 8, 2017 11:23:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Re: Obsidian Screenshots Contest [Deadline 7/16] Reply to this Post

Can the screen caps be editted?
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jul 9, 2017 7:48:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flie9

Also wondering if i may edit? i'm pretty good with photoshopping and making some nice screencaps with it.
Filliax = obisidian (most used atm)
Filiax = emerald
and some on viridian back in the dayz

Cya ingame.
[Jul 9, 2017 10:43:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Please avoid any inappropriate language in your video.

Probably copied from the other announcement thread, you may want to edit this to say "image".
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 9, 2017 12:42:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Crowds are welcome Reply to this Post

After seeing the first couple of screenshots, I'd like to make a suggestion for improvement. Prospective players like to see vital activity. They like to log on to crowds. They like to know that the game has life. Let's put our best foot forward and get lots of other pirates together for screenies, so that the diversity of the game is on full display. Imagine the faction/flag/crew pride if one of your screenshots wins and makes it into public marketing materials. Everyone appearing there has the opportunity to become famous. It's a win-win.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 9, 2017 12:46:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

Please avoid any inappropriate language in your video.

Probably copied from the other announcement thread, you may want to edit this to say "image".

Fixed!
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Jul 9, 2017 2:19:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

Ahoy mates! Entry threads are locked and judging underway. However, please keep in mind that this may take some time. Thank you for your patience and we will update here once we have finished that process!
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Jul 22, 2017 2:23:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
doesntsave

Any update? Its been a month :-)
---
Complain on Obsidian

Supporter of Team Evil
"Yarr, purple aint nothin' but a color!"
[Aug 23, 2017 3:55:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yanojr

Any news on the prizes yet?
[Oct 25, 2017 5:08:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Ahoy!

I'm sorry for the exceptionally long delay with results. Unfortunately I had quite a number of tasks that kept pulling my attention away. It wasn't fair to those of you who gave us a hand, and I apologize. To that end, all winners will also receive a Cronus egg. You're welcome to force it to wobble down the plank.

You've already noticed that your screenshots were used on our Steam store page (after a bit of editing). This should help give new players an idea of what the game has to offer.

Below are the results of the contest:

1st: Scythera - Obsidian
Light Blue Octo

2nd: Yanojr - Obsidian
Greenbones doll

3rd: Karthika - Obsidian
Forculus egg

3rd: Keaze - Obsidian
Forculus egg

A note on judging. We decided that the winners would be based on which screenshots we ended up using and which entries were valid.

Prize delivery is ongoing. Keep checking your pockets.
[Feb 16, 2018 12:04:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Convention

A note on judging. We decided that the winners would be based on which screenshots we ended up using and which entries were valid

A majority of your screenshots on the steam page consist of pictures that were coming from a seemingly invalid entry and I feel bad for that guy.
It seems like you excluded that individual from the contest half a year after publishing his work - without screening the eligibility in the first place.
Given that the screenshot entry he made was deemed invalid and thus not part of the competition, will the consequence be to remove them from the store page?
Will changes be made to the store page? Because I'm pretty sure that breaks the consent and agreement. (e.g excluding an individual, then taking his work regardless)
Just curious.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Convention at Feb 16, 2018 6:19:48 PM]
[Feb 16, 2018 6:09:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maitredodo

Thanks Cronus for posting the results, I was beginning to wonder if the contest was forgotten.

Congrats to those who were chosen!

I'm sorry for the exceptionally long delay with results. (...) To that end, all winners will also receive a Cronus egg.

Well I guess only the winners waited so long for the results and not the other participants? Unless it's a typo it would've been nice for all to receive the "apology" and not just those who won.

And also a quick thing I had to get off my mind:

Also interesting to note that entries with screenshots obviously taken on another ocean and not "highlight(ing) the gameplay or life on Dark Seas" were able to be valid and win and, if my eyes aren't mistaken, not used on the Steam page. Oh well just me probably exaggerating a detail (however Hera's post in the Video Contest thread suggests the same) but would've been nice to have Obsidian Screenshots as winners since it was the theme. I guess the fact that, most, screenshots were alike was also a reason for the long wait and a hard job for Cronus to choose from.

Furthermore, I also wondered on what the poster above me wrote.
Masterdodo on Opal/Emerald
Atlantis, what else?
[Feb 17, 2018 12:06:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Given that the screenshot entry he made was deemed invalid and thus not part of the competition, will the consequence be to remove them from the store page?
Will changes be made to the store page? Because I'm pretty sure that breaks the consent and agreement.

We're not planning any changes. As per the event guidelines: "By entering you are consenting to allow us to use your screenshot for advertisement or other promotional material. This includes making edits or changes."
[Feb 20, 2018 7:32:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Convention

Will changes be made to the store page? Because I'm pretty sure that breaks the consent and agreement.

We're not planning any changes. As per the event guidelines: "By entering you are consenting to allow us to use your screenshot for advertisement or other promotional material. This includes making edits or changes."

If you are submitting your work and are deemed ineligible you do not enter the contest - its the same when an underage person applies for a contest.

Also, how does an invalid submission make it into the contest or even the steam store page?

You can't assume consent when one party invalidates their side of the agreement.

And what is up with the edit on two 6 month old threads with "seemingly" no reasonable edits - right after the concerns about eligibility were raised by me and Masterdodo?

Its almost like you were waiting with your response until that edit happened because I have the entering conditions different in my mind - and im pretty sure other people do too.

God bless that transparency.
[Feb 20, 2018 1:33:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dalathar

If you are submitting your work and are deemed ineligible you do not enter the contest - its the same when an underage person applies for a contest.

Also, how does an invalid submission make it into the contest or even the steam store page?

You can't assume consent when one party invalidates their side of the agreement.

And what is up with the edit on two 6 month old threads with "seemingly" no reasonable edits - right after the concerns about eligibility were raised by me and Masterdodo?

Its almost like you were waiting with your response until that edit happened because I have the entering conditions different in my mind - and im pretty sure other people do too.

God bless that transparency.

It looks like the edits that were made were to change the titles of both threads from [Deadline 7/16, Judging Underway] to [Winners announced]. In the last post in the Video Clips Contest thread, after the winners were announced (but before the edits happened), Keaze comments that the title should be updated to reflect that the winners have been selected.

Cronus clearly forgot to change the thread title and Demeter noticed it and fixed it.
Bohemond on Obsidian
[Feb 20, 2018 2:35:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Dalathar wrote: 
Cronus clearly forgot to change the thread title and Demeter noticed it and fixed it.

You are correct, I forgot to change the titles to help players know that the status had been updated. Thankfully, Keaze was kind enough to point it out so Deme could fix it.
[Feb 21, 2018 8:17:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates