• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14402 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
Scarpath

First Impressions! Reply to this Post

So, as we start playing in this ocean, what are your first impressions? Good or bad, big or small, list the first thing or so that makes you say WOW on this new ocean!

For me: I love the remixed startup music, because man it is epic!

And woot, the starting island looks great! No bravery badges? Sign me up! Now I can actually afford all the badges I need in a month when I'm running shoppes.

Though man, it's gonna suck waiting for the larger ships to be built, so far we're cramming far too many people on to far too few sloops haha. Maybe an OM should run a GF pilly! XP
----------------------------------------
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Jun 30, 2017 2:16:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nero6

Re: First Impressions! Reply to this Post

Rubbish.

Hardly anything has changed. I'm really not a fan of this SMH rule. Why force people into doing something they don't want to do. It will just make me play another game and play this once every 3 weeks when I am able to do what I want to do. I can never understand why game developers do everything to go against what people actually want to do. Make the game fun... if some part of the game is not getting attention then clearly there are underlying reasons as to why that is happening.

CI SMH was meant for elite players. You are forcing a lot of people that are more than capable of joining an Atlantis or kraken out of the game for a week. It makes 0 sense. Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why there are so many limitations to the game.
[Jun 30, 2017 2:50:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

CI SMH was meant for elite players. You are forcing a lot of people that are more than capable of joining an Atlantis or kraken out of the game for a week. It makes 0 sense. Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why there are so many limitations to the game.

Same applies to every single SMH.
CI elite is not KH elite ( i used to do a lot of ci runs but i never did KH, and i doubt i'll ever get jobbed on a KH because i'm bad at it)

HS barely gets any jobbers in a normal day, this is a chance for HS to become more popular.

Also, since it will be a CI week i'm expecting non-elite runs to become more popular as well (they already exist but very rare)
[Jun 30, 2017 3:33:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Factor93

Just a heads up. When its CI/KH week I'll probs be doing non-elite runs due to both time constraints and I wont be bothered to wait to job. So look out for me on the NB if yer not getting jobbed.
Factors on every ocean - Active on Obsidian

[Jun 30, 2017 4:12:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Its pay to win, just like I thought it would be..
Robyns
<3
[Jun 30, 2017 5:09:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I like the darker theme of the client when you're logging in and selecting your pirate. I like the skull icon for the game. I am digging Lionhaven, so props to whomever designed that island. I also like the call to arms scroll for Defiant Armada. Looking forward to checking out all the new islands and can't wait to see shoppe destruction happen.

I am also still chuckling when I click the "War" tab and I see how many people are choosing Defiant Armada over Shadow Fleet, despite all the whining about the Defiant Armada name in the forums. Face.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jun 30, 2017 5:10:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

About the SMHs: Remember that maps drop for a week, and last for 8 days. That means there's 2 of em available at all times, assuming Atl > CI > HS > Kraken rotation, that means there's:

ATL, CI
CI, HS
HS, Kraken
Kraken, ATL

Meaning you non-elite big boat navver boys will always have atlantis or hs to choose from, and those who favor the smaller boat elite crews will always have CI or krakens to choose from.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Jun 30, 2017 6:08:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mysteryman64

I like the darker theme of the client when you're logging in and selecting your pirate. I like the skull icon for the game. I am digging Lionhaven, so props to whomever designed that island. I also like the call to arms scroll for Defiant Armada. Looking forward to checking out all the new islands and can't wait to see shoppe destruction happen.

I am also still chuckling when I click the "War" tab and I see how many people are choosing Defiant Armada over Shadow Fleet, despite all the whining about the Defiant Armada name in the forums. Face.

I freely admit to being wrong in that. Perhaps, I am just out of touch.

Realistically, I think the Defiant Armada just got a couple of the first crews and snowballed from there. Will be interested to see how things play out over the next few days as people begin dropping out of crews to form their own/go into new ones/etc.

So far, I'm really enjoying it. Even the fact that people seem to be coming into the game and being more open to PvP. Nearly every pillage I've been on has had a few, and everyone has always been really excited for them so far. That's a good sign.

I am worried about doubloon and delivery costs in the long run. More power to GH right now in grabbing some money while the hype is on, though. That said, things don't seem so bad because everyone is mostly in a non-sinking archipelago and there is no shot to be had.

When/if people are regularly losing non-subsidized sloops will full delivery costs, I think people are likely to become far more risk-avoidant. Those dubs essentially triple the cost of the sloops. I don't think folks are going to realistically want to risk sinking them if they can't raise the funds to order a new one in fairly quick order.
The Devil's Advocate
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mysteryman64 at Jun 30, 2017 11:28:11 PM]
[Jun 30, 2017 11:26:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Right now, quite simply thank you for bringing everyone together, it's nice to see old and new players, also players from the 3 oceans all on one. Hopefully the numbers stay high enough to keep it interesting, and for me, it's nice to see it back to being about piracy!
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Jul 1, 2017 1:25:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

Frankly, I was hoping they would take some measures to reduce the p2w aspect of the game.
Sinking will happen a lot. I may buy a sloop and sink it at the same day, and just lose 5$. And a war bring around 12$. And it won't necessarily mean that I'm a bad player either: This is just the nature of the game.
And don't you dare say "don't play at dangerous seas if you are not prepared to lose a ship or if you are noob." That's punishing competitive playing, the main feature of the game. When a pvp starts, likely the better bnaver will sink the other one. Or it may depend on luck a little bit. It doesn't mean that one is noob.

The solution is simple: adjust the doubloons cost of ships depending on the rate the ships are sunk, compared to other oceans (taking account the population too). Because when a ship sinks it means it must be salvaged. If it's not salvaged/replaced then it won't sink again and the sinking rate will be lower. E.g. if ships are sinking 4 times as much, make the doublood cost 1/4. With this, we ensure that the$ profits (doubloons spent) of buying ships (relative to the population) will be the same as with the other oceans.

If the prices remain the same, this will be destructive: Doubloon /poe price will skyrocket because the Doubloon sinks will be huge. This means that someone can create a fleet almost exclusively by buying the Doubloon with $. So, to have an effective blockade someone would need 100+$ (much more actually). Wich, of course means that if it just happens that the ocean has one rich person willing to spend such money, he will extremely easily dominate the ocean.

I would much more prefer that the pvp aspect of the game would entirely be dependent on skill. That may be impossible though. So at least give the chance for flags to be able to collect the fleet they need quite easily, so that at least the rest of it is skill.

Not to talk about the shops and their destruction. It would take too long and the logic is the same.

But I still have hope for the game, this is still a beta test after all. Maybe they have already thought about these and they just want to see the ocean grow before they make the changes.
[Jul 1, 2017 3:34:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hiven

Did i miss the announcement that the server was up -_- would have took today off work if i knew.
Hivenst Captain of Sage Subrunners on Sage
Hivenst Captain of ye scallywags on ice

Founder of The Advengers (sage)
[Jul 1, 2017 10:40:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    stevienelli8@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

When/if people are regularly losing non-subsidized sloops will full delivery costs, I think people are likely to become far more risk-avoidant. Those dubs essentially triple the cost of the sloops. I don't think folks are going to realistically want to risk sinking them if they can't raise the funds to order a new one in fairly quick order.
Ships are very high delivery cost on the main oceans because most of them will never get sunk. On this ocean, that should be a lot less true. If ships last 1/4 as long then the doub price can be 1/4 as much and OOO will still make as much off the doub sink.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 1, 2017 5:37:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silent_Fable

Right now, quite simply thank you for bringing everyone together, it's nice to see old and new players, also players from the 3 oceans all on one. Hopefully the numbers stay high enough to keep it interesting, and for me, it's nice to see it back to being about piracy!

I approve of this post!

Seeing old players from 7+ years ago has been AMAZING! The nerf on things like poker and from what i'm hearing island buildings will also be amazing. It forces people back into ships and on the ocean. Bringing this game back to it's prime when people were truly pirates.

For those complaining about prices, obvisouly you've never opened an ocean before. Wait until we start to colonize islands! It's truly a lot of fun and skill involved. Prices will always be bonkers at first but will level out. Shops will calm down as bots bring in commidities needed.

I hope the devs put a cap on dub prices as to not ruin the game and bring it back to fun. The pillage pay outs have been nice and those will also hopefully keep reflecting dub prices as to make it easier for new players. I hope the blockade pay rates will also be steeply curved. This 10k a seg is nuts and makes it difficult for smaller flags to enjoy a HUGE part of the game. I don't fully understand all the faction sides yet but i'm enjoying the darkside since everyone knows we got cookies.

Fable
"if you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you'll end up doing nothing for nobody"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Silent_Fable at Jul 2, 2017 8:18:11 AM]
[Jul 1, 2017 9:19:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vortexae

There appear to be no ferries to whisk you between islands in an arch.

I wonder what the thinking behind that is?

(I can't find an announcement of this in the "how this ocean differs from the others" posts--maybe I'm just missing something.)

Whisking potions gonna be in high demand.
Cerulean: Teshka
Meridian: Millefleur, Oshun & the crew
Emerald: Nensieuisge. Also Millefleur.
Y en el Océano Jade, soy la pirata Serenidad.

I blog YPP!
[Jul 1, 2017 11:01:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.nicolejleboeuf.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
timmyman10

(I can't find an announcement of this in the "how this ocean differs from the others" posts--maybe I'm just missing something.)

There are no other colonized islands yet. Hence no ferries needed.
Timmydude
SO of Skeletons

Gunnermooch wrote: The more I read Hunter Parley the more I am convinced the Special Bus drove straight into it.
[Jul 1, 2017 11:35:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
minisparrow

I approve of this, it gives alchemy more of a purpose.
Minisparrow {Meridian}
Senior Officer of The Midnight Society
Prince of The Dead Men
[Jul 2, 2017 4:08:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

I'm quite sure ferries are not disabled. As Timmydude said, there just are no arches with more than one colonised island in them yet, so there's nothing to ferry to.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Jul 2, 2017 4:33:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vortexae

There are no other colonized islands yet. Hence no ferries needed.

Oooohhhhhh. Nevermind! /emilyLitellaVoice

Thank you - I knew I was missing something!
Cerulean: Teshka
Meridian: Millefleur, Oshun & the crew
Emerald: Nensieuisge. Also Millefleur.
Y en el Océano Jade, soy la pirata Serenidad.

I blog YPP!
[Jul 2, 2017 11:22:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.nicolejleboeuf.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Look how active and fun everything is with 2k doubloons!

I still think we're going to need jobbable NPCs. Particularly with lots of PVP, we're going to have more people wanting to pilot ships than station.

The start of an ocean is a pain and if this is supposed to be testing anything, rather than just opening the ocean, we should have balls and charts a lot more available.

At the moment it's great that Steam isn't required. Please please consider being able to play not on Steam, at least for those of us with existing accounts.
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
[Jul 2, 2017 2:51:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

At the moment it's great that Steam isn't required. Please please consider being able to play not on Steam, at least for those of us with existing accounts.

It is possible to log onto an existing account on Steam. Just hit the back arrow in the upper left corner once you open the Steam client until the login details are able to be changed. I've played multiple accounts on multiple oceans from Steam ^^

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Jul 2, 2017 3:30:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Boo to steam. I'll have fun while I can here tho on the Beta.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TexasBeesh at Jul 3, 2017 5:43:38 AM]
[Jul 3, 2017 5:29:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

It is possible to log onto an existing account on Steam. Just hit the back arrow in the upper left corner once you open the Steam client until the login details are able to be changed. I've played multiple accounts on multiple oceans from Steam ^^

I'm assuming this functionality will remain intact with the Obsidian release to Steam, since not doing so would effectively wipe the ocean anyway, since it's not possible to play here with a Steam account yet...
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 3, 2017 5:49:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hiohjiggyoh

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but I only want it to be explained better to me.

I'm not sure how this new ocean is more conducive to new players when it will just be all the same old players/crews/flags from the other oceans? It seems to me like they will just saturate it and inflate the rankings and take over the governance of islands?
Dinosaur of the Sage Ocean Emerald Ocean.
[Jul 3, 2017 7:37:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Dinosaur [Link]  Go to top 
Twistedxmnj

Always fun to start in the brand new eco cycle. So much rush and activity, nothing is stale.. however we need to move past beta as soon as possible so we could welcome new players. I hope they do not open up islands during beta period because like dinosaur said it's gonna be the same elite players that are having wars on emerald moving it here. Another thing that I couldn't find answer for is how far will GH push to advertise this game?
Tyrantus- Emerald

Ausyte- Meridian
[Jul 3, 2017 7:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Im curious and slightly concerned to see how the total pirate difference between the Defiant Armada and Shadow Fleet could effect kading.

Currently Defiant Armada has almost 100 more pirates than Shadow Fleet.
Robyns
<3
[Jul 3, 2017 8:27:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I'm not sure how this new ocean is more conducive to new players when it will just be all the same old players/crews/flags from the other oceans?

- Everyone is starting with no assets, not 10+ years of accumulation
- There isn't 200k poker (probably responsible for a large part of ruining the green oceans' economies)

Yes, existing players will have big advantages in terms of knowing the game and the puzzles, but it'll be a lot easier for new players trying to be someone on Obsidian than on the normal oceans.
[Jul 3, 2017 10:59:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paaddy

It´s a elite ocean for elite players.

I dont see any reason in this whole thing, if they dont reset it.

I hope for a reset after Beta. I really do. No new player will start playing on this ocean. Its already "oh no, you are not elite... we dont job you".

We need completely new puzzles when beta ends.
Paddy @ Opal

or Bnavi for my english friends >;)
[Jul 3, 2017 3:10:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spazspazspaz

How will a reset solve any of those problems? Players who excel at the game will always be more successful, there's no nerf that will change that.
Spacemonkey
[Jul 3, 2017 3:29:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

Okay, second impression i'm starting to get.........

You wanted to make this more welcoming for new players, so you let all the old players loose early so they could set up their elite circles early? Seems a bit backwards...

But then again, do need those shops set up and all, but still. And somehow I feel used. Just being a beta tester so I can get the economy set up before the newbies show up.

Oh, and- Will we get any beta time on Steam? Because honestly that client is buggier than bugged and few players will stick through the beginning phases of a game if it has that many problems. I honestly don't even know why the Steam client was released without more bugfixes, or has not seen more since. Fix it DURING the BETA, please.

[Jul 3, 2017 4:53:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zanreth

As others have said, elite players will advance quicker than new players anyway. The game was released to anyone who wanted to download the client at the same time.

In fact, it is arguably a good thing to let the ocean establish itself right now, than open it on steam, get perhaps hundreds of new players in a day, and none of those people able to understand what is going on.

Charts are difficult to find. Sinking Pvp. Faction systems. No cannonballs. No rum right now, but suddenly, you need rum. All these things are confusing for (some) new players.

When I first started playing YPP, it was not on day one Midnight was released. It was a year or two after Viridian opened. Did I load into the game, lament that I was not the first to arrive, that others had achieved great things before I even knew the game existed? Of course not.

The only issue right now is a growing imbalance in faction numbers, but the sample sizes are really too small.

I would also like to see a 'go to neutral ground' button added, the same as 'go to stronghold.' I think this would encourage more pirates to make their faction island their home island and spread the ocean out and allow for more factional bonds to be made.
Albert, Obsidian, Defiant Armada
Calicojack, Emerald
[Jul 3, 2017 6:54:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates