• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9650 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
jbaggers

Much needed Flotilla Improvements Reply to this Post

Flotillas have for a long time been in need of some tlc, over the years with a diminishing player base aswell as the release of newer voyage options it has fallen from grace.

Flotillas are a core element of the game alongside pillages, without such we are left with countless unwanted blockades. Flotillas have become a chore for many rather than an element of fun. Find below a few of my suggestions to help bring flotillas back into relevance.

• Move Bk's higher up the board - Bk's should be second below pillages to reflect their importance to the game. Plus the fact that they do not require a bravery badge (better for newer players). This would help with load times and give newer players more of an opportunity to load.
  • Use the Bk's emblem in the voyage section for better distinction (Red for sinkies) - Self explanatory, allows for clarity and would look good.
  • Preventing Bk's spawning on uninhabitable archipelagos - Flotillas in Mala are a nightmare, between finding a charter and moving stock 40 LP's, to radical randomisation of drops. This is a needless headache for many
  • Trophies for MG/MB sinks - Fun addition to make flotillas more fun and give people more reason to go on them. (No MG/MB sink trophies to date)
  • Increased payouts for non-sinky flots (to bring in line with alternate voyages). Bring back bk trinkets for sinking flotillas?!

I understand that I will likely recieve backlash for this post as I am an avid flotilla runner myself. However I write this post in the interest of the game, and in the hope that newer players can pick up flotillas. Unless you are well known in the current setup you have a very low chance of loading.

I hope this post does not fall on death ears, Make Flots Great Again!
----------------------------------------
Irage - Senior Officer of the crew Entropy and Prince of the Flag Radioactive

Avatar by the wonderful Yumisa :)
[May 10, 2016 9:18:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cutingchris

Re: Much needed Flotilla Improvements Reply to this Post

I second all these changes.

People constantly moan at other elements of the game but there's nothing more neglected than Flotillas. They seem unfinished and people have no interest even though they can be one of the best money makers out of all the voyages. Including a simple Bronze/Silver/Gold trophy system for MBs and MGs would make a world of difference in terms of interest. The trinkets in sinky flots would be very nice to see again.
Magneto, Illuminatti Royal

(Also Praetorian on Obsidian)
[May 10, 2016 9:34:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

Flotillas have for a long time been in need of some tlc, over the years with a diminishing player base aswell as the release of newer voyage options it has fallen from grace.

Flotillas are a core element of the game alongside pillages, without such we are left with countless unwanted blockades. Flotillas have become a chore for many rather than an element of fun. Find below a few of my suggestions to help bring flotillas back into relevance.

• Move Bk's higher up the board - Bk's should be second below pillages to reflect their importance to the game. Plus the fact that they do not require a bravery badge (better for newer players). This would help with load times and give newer players more of an opportunity to load.
  • Use the Bk's emblem in the voyage section for better distinction (Red for sinkies) - Self explanatory, allows for clarity and would look good.
  • Preventing Bk's spawning on uninhabitable archipelagos - Flotillas in Mala are a nightmare, between finding a charter and moving stock 40 LP's, to radical randomisation of drops. This is a needless headache for many
  • Trophies for MG/MB sinks - Fun addition to make flotillas more fun and give people more reason to go on them. (No MG/MB sink trophies to date)
  • Increased payouts for non-sinky flots (to bring in line with alternate voyages). Bring back bk trinkets for sinking flotillas?!

I understand that I will likely recieve backlash for this post as I am an avid flotilla runner myself. However I write this post in the interest of the game, and in the hope that newer players can pick up flotillas. Unless you are well known in the current setup you have a very low chance of loading.

I hope this post does not fall on death ears, Make Flots Great Again!

Make all flots sinky! Fix the problem much easier!

I agree with everything else!
Emerald
Cerulean
[May 10, 2016 1:54:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jbaggers

Making all flotillas sinky wouldn't bother me all that much, however I do believe they are a fantastic learning opportunity for new navers.

Navigating through the chaos is a great opportunity to adapt to high pressure situations and honestly is a good starting point for aspiring blockade navers (mock if you must).

I would welcome more profitable flotillas via making them sinky, however I feel like it takes away from the "big 3" excitement of a sinky flot spawn :)

And afterall I want as many new flot navers as possible, it'd be good for the game and maybe people would finally realise why i love them so much!
Irage - Senior Officer of the crew Entropy and Prince of the Flag Radioactive

Avatar by the wonderful Yumisa :)
[May 10, 2016 2:04:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

jbaggers wrote: 
1. Move Bk's higher up the board - Bk's should be second below pillages to reflect their importance to the game. Plus the fact that they do not require a bravery badge (better for newer players). This would help with load times and give newer players more of an opportunity to load.

2. Use the Bk's emblem in the voyage section for better distinction (Red for sinkies) - Self explanatory, allows for clarity and would look good.

Those are good suggestions for improving the noticeboard display for flotilla entries. Here are some more suggestions.

jbaggers wrote: 
3. Trophies for MG/MB sinks

One such proposal for flotilla supply ship sinking trophies
[May 10, 2016 7:50:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
ForumBoocher

Another idea would be to not get rid of nonsinking flotillas, just downsize them enough so that very small ships (sloop-baghlah) can go in and actually interact with the flotilla.

Originally I don't think it was designed for low pop numbers and small ships, so its understandable that the spawns are still too strong for that run of ships, but it would be a way to lower the difficulty of entry to this aspect of the game. I think it would increase interest among those not named Emerlaus, especially in the big gray area of people who have figured out pillaging and now have no way to break into the harder, teamwork style bnav everyone aspires to have in cades and whatnot.

A small flotilla of a sloop and a cutter for one sloop sorta deal would be tremendously more interesting, I think, for young officers running voyages. A couple want to work together and deal with a dhow a sloop and two cutters? That seems like an awesome learning, teamwork oriented environment and a fun way to bridge the gap between pillages and the more elite sides of PP

My hope is that it would be great building block (and in my admitted ignorance, an easy one to implement) to give the game a more gradual slope that our stagnation has kinda steepened.

TLDR Smaller, more manageable ship spawns in nonsinkies->increased interest from middle class who can't load big ships->more (and more variety) voyages on the notice board.

All that being said, I love the other suggestions in the thread, except maybe total removal of nonsinking ones. It's a fun aspect of the game that has been hit very hard by population decreases and SMH payouts.
Alexjustalex
Natural Born Chillers
Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ForumBoocher at May 11, 2016 8:51:55 AM]
[May 11, 2016 8:43:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

BUMP!

Flotillas needs some change as much as pillaging does or even more!

1) Change the 5/3 non sinkers ratio to at least 5/3 sinkers ratio!

2) If 1 isnt happening ... Increase non sinkers payouts!

3) Bring some trophies such as the ships ones for pillaging! (Ships counts, taking flots down, etc...)

4) Move flotillas over SMHs on Notice Board since they dont require a badge!

5) Reduce the overpowered initial spawns in toughest flotillas! Double brig or frig against 1 brig is simply overpowered!

6) Add cutters as green ship!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Aug 13, 2016 1:50:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jakeyboy1986

Agreed with all the points especially to make them all sinky! Also it could be worth making it pay out clothes, swords and other items at productive rate. Quantity of entries could also be increased by larger spawns of smaller ships to encourage more people to do them. In turn this should provide more interest and not mean you have to play for 2 hours just to take part!

With such a great game, I feel it is important to help the casual player to get involved. Creating vested interest and thus encouraging repeat play. Lets turn the sea green and get it busy again!
[Aug 13, 2016 2:26:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Privatesam

I agree with all the points except to make them all sinky.
Flotillas definitely needs some improvements.
Privatesam
Senior Officer of Silver Storm
Prince of Bite The Pillow
[Aug 13, 2016 3:02:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doulber

+
Official spokesman of Ade446.
Barnabas the Pale tells ye, "You made me literally laugh out loud."

-The D: Retired.

[Aug 13, 2016 8:25:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

+
++
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Aug 14, 2016 1:42:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Only thing I will aways disagree with is the giving away of more free clothes and free weapons that take business away from the shopkeepers. Give trinkets, turn it to a special BK themed design, then go to your local shoppe and order it.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Aug 14, 2016 7:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Only thing I will aways disagree with is the giving away of more free clothes and free weapons that take business away from the shopkeepers. Give trinkets, turn it to a special BK themed design, then go to your local shoppe and order it.

+1

+1

+1
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Aug 14, 2016 8:45:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

+1
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 14, 2016 9:14:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

+
++

5 sinkers 3 non sinkers ratio would be more fair than 3 sinkers and 5 non sinkers and it still leaves room for the newer navers to have a go!

Or as my post said earlier to increase non sinkers payouts cause they are clearly too low!

Adding cutters as greens would make flots easier cause they spawn way too many MGs for the numbers of MBs and nowadays ye are lucky to fill a brig for a flot!

TROPHIES! Thats like the only thing on the game which doesnt have trophies related to it!

Make red spawns a little bit weaker since ye shouldnt have to deal with double brigs xebec or frig spawns against your brig!

If red spawns are getting lowered I could easily see a double junk/bagh/brig teaming entry but as of now ... Ye would spawn a frig close automatic with double ships in!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Aug 14, 2016 3:33:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ak62

BUMP!

3) Bring some trophies such as the ships ones for pillaging! (Ships counts, taking flots down, etc...)

5) Reduce the overpowered initial spawns in toughest flotillas! Double brig or frig against 1 brig is simply overpowered!

#MakeFlotsGreatAgain
#DoItForHarambe
Camouflages - Meridian/Emerald

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ak62 at Aug 14, 2016 4:31:52 PM]
[Aug 14, 2016 4:30:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

BUMP!

#MakeFlotsGreatAgain
#DoItForHarambe

Once again this week :

A) Meridian respawned a 5th flot up to replace Vargy flot that Imperial Coalition killed

B) Emerald didnt respawn any while maintaining 1 flotilla up and only 1 BK owning an island! (4 flotilla spawns total in 11 weeks which is highly ridiculous considering meridian maintain 5 flots a week!)

C) Twice in a row the BK drop at noon game time was accordingly to game mechanics but its often out of the loop aswell!

D) I still spawn double brig reds against my brig!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Sep 1, 2016 1:25:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

BUMP!

#MakeFlotsGreatAgain
#DoItForHarambe

Once again this week :

A) Meridian respawned a 5th flot up to replace Vargy flot that Imperial Coalition killed

B) Emerald didnt respawn any while maintaining 1 flotilla up and only 1 BK owning an island! (4 flotilla spawns total in 11 weeks which is highly ridiculous considering meridian maintain 5 flots a week!)

C) Twice in a row the BK drop at noon game time was accordingly to game mechanics but its often out of the loop aswell!

D) I still spawn double brig reds against my brig!

Rethinking about everything ... That pillaging release will kill flots down even further ... Will be the only trip not spawning chests fams and pets! Payout will still be shit and trophies still not existing!

We really need a fix before flots lose any interest jobbers still have for them!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Sep 18, 2016 8:45:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bryceagrimm

Have everyone. It's been a few years. I check the forum every month or so to see what's going on. I love the sound of the new greedy brigands. I definitely agree that flotillas need some love also. Some suggestions I have are:

- just like the new greedy brigands content, make them equal in reward to sea monster hunts HS and Atlantis. Maybe add chests to TH with BK specific trinkets and maybe a special pet/fam for each brigand. There is not much incentive for a fully POR rewarded puzzle when you can just do an smh and have a chance for something way better. They don't have to be high percentage occurrence but just knowing that they can be won will invigorate this important and awesome aspect of the game.

- maybe add some spice to the boards that are specific to the themes of the BK.

Azarbad the great has ships with a flame thrower shot or pires of flame that can damage ally or enemy ships.
Widow Queen: spiders can invade your ship and require defenders
Vargas: when ships die, sometimes a cursed ship respawns which does more damage but provided bigger rewards
Barnabus: ghostly clouds occur in puzzle which cause ghost ships to appear if you enter the cloud or the cloud is over you
Etc. just anything to differentiate them more. The ship types differing is pretty bland.

- Maybe change up the colors too so it doesn't look so bland. Add bk specific trinkets to land forms on map or something.

- you could add a heavily guarded stockpile area of blockade goods which has a counter say 100 which corresponds to bk strength. If your ship enters, there is a treasure drop mini game which has cannon balls and rum in the mesh. 3 minute th and the results of this reduce the bk strength. Could add chests with trunks and such to it. Duty puzzle results show the amount of rum and cbs each player hauled. There could also be an bk specific SF or rumble prior to th similar to encountering them during pillage. I wouldn't want it to be too similar to the other smh but it could work very well.

I am really excited for new changes to this game I have loved for so many years.

Bgrimm on both emerald and meridian.
[Sep 20, 2016 9:52:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirEtcetera

I like the idea of not having them spawn in unoccupied areas of oceans. It might even be worth a look to see if Grey Havens can remove some islands from every ocean to reduce Ocean sizes.
Don't mind me. I'm learning.
[Sep 21, 2016 12:39:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

I like the idea of not having them spawn in unoccupied areas of oceans. It might even be worth a look to see if Grey Havens can remove some islands from every ocean to reduce Ocean sizes.

That would remove some spawn spots for Commodities, actually. Some of the uninhabitable islands can be the only ones with a particular Commodity. Hard to come by Indigo on Cerulean, and the fact that Merchants rarely ever go anywhere lately, selling things.......
Sorry for going off-topic here, but replying to your suggestion.
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Sep 21, 2016 2:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirEtcetera

That would remove some spawn spots for Commodities, actually. Some of the uninhabitable islands can be the only ones with a particular Commodity. Hard to come by Indigo on Cerulean, and the fact that Merchants rarely ever go anywhere lately, selling things.......
Sorry for going off-topic here, but replying to your suggestion.

I could still see some islands that merely overlap on spawns being removed though. Maybe even a rearrangement of the oceans to compensate for lost spawns. It could be interesting. Though probably more work than it is worth.
Don't mind me. I'm learning.
[Sep 21, 2016 5:02:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Bump.

I think that the Flotilla mechanic has mostly run its course. It was a very important step in YPP development as it opened up the world to multiship battles that weren't blockades.

I know a few people really like it, but for the most part, it's a difficult to staff event.

My suggestion is that there should be an alternative.

Sure, pirates gather their ships offshore before blockading an island? But what else do they do? They make a nasty mess of themselves at the inn! Therefore, I think island owners should be able to click a button to invite a different sort of flotilla to approach.

This one would feature rowdy pirates in the inn, who you could only defeat via DRINKING. Island owners could put up a bounty and hopeful pirates with strong livers could set at the table at all hours of the day and attempt to drink these vile brigand kings into submission. If they win, they get a portion of the bounty (roughly equivalent to the time per minute spent in a flotilla). If they lose . . . their pirate wakes up behind the inn, with a random chance of injury.

Island owners would have the right to not put up the bounty and thus leave the traditional flotilla mechanics in place. Heck, maybe only the non-sinking ones will go in for the drinking parties, thus leaving flotillas up for the people who do like them.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Feb 11, 2017 2:41:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Rick9109 wrote: 
If they lose . . . their pirate wakes up behind the inn, with a random chance of injury.

Definitely not, pirates are just going to deliberately lose to gain injuries.
Jjc on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Feb 11, 2017 7:21:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Perhaps when they lose, they pay into the bounty.

(I'm not super attached to the injury part of the idea)
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rick9109 at Feb 11, 2017 1:14:36 PM]
[Feb 11, 2017 1:14:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
smexi4u

not that bad of an idea, but honestly flots are fine how they are, they just need to be made more attractive to the jobber. bigger pays fam option idk. but from what I can tell people only really job for stuff that have got the fams to win.

and for starters I for one don't like puzzling that long so break it up with maybe swords/rumble or I guess u we could blow the crap out of them and then invite them over for a beer and Netflix?

maybe have an option to capture the ship, then ship captured becomes battle ready no deed holder and available to the crew who won it? if you lose said fray have it the bks take control of the player ship or do major damage to it? maybe even have them take some of your stock, can never have enough stock and ships for blockading!
Zadkiel on Obsidian,
SO of Polaris.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by smexi4u at Feb 11, 2017 8:10:03 PM]
[Feb 11, 2017 8:02:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yanojr

A grappling would be cool for a break from constant puzzles... But if won make the ship like it was sunk instead.. sure it will be a crazy thing to code since there are other ships around etc and its not like a cit where you actially enter something... Would be fun to mess around with if devs have the time but im sure they are busy on other things more important
[Feb 11, 2017 8:31:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Suggestions I would make:

1. Alert flags who own island near Flotilla's who BK may attack
2. Allow flags to place a bounty on destroying the flotilla. This could be as little as 10k but several flags at risk of being hit by the BK may put in some poe. The total bounty + other poe from the BK itself goes towards the ship that sinks the final ship in a flotilla. If multiple ships have done damage to final ship then bounty is distributed according to % of damage done by each ship.
3. Increase poe pay out of BK sinks
4. Add chests to the TH which include several items including a NEW pet and a NEW familiar
6. Also from TH ship can gain some basic commodities such as Rum, CBs, Iron, wood but not in massive amounts
Robyns
<3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Robyns090 at Mar 27, 2017 11:00:53 AM]
[Mar 27, 2017 11:00:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Bump. Flots are being updated!
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Apr 18, 2017 8:50:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates