• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4496 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
damienroc

Map of the Ice Ocean Reply to this Post

While I assume that other people are probably doing this better than I am, I decided to spend a bit of my efforts trying to get a layout of the place.

I'm still missing one island, apparently Yorrick, which I have been told is west of Fort Royal by some degree.

Map can be found here. About 400k.

Now a few assumptions. Overall the ocean seems to be three small arch's of 4 islands apiece, along with one island in each arch that is "far flung." Despite the relative closeness, the only interarchs are through these far flung islands. I've got the Winking Well/Wyeth map. I assume there's one between Maelstrom and Oubliette. And I think the two islands that connect to Yorrick are Escher and Wemadeit (or Fort Royal.) I'm not sure if the remaining map is in existence for each arch (Cringe/Escher, Shatterstone/Wyeth, and Mini/Maelstrom).

Any confirmation or denial of any of these things would be appreciated. If people want to post screencaps containing what I'm missing I can try to add them into the mix.

Also, I know the compass rose lines are messed up. Before I saw any islands in the Shatterstone arch, the lines were as you can see on the far left and south of the map. After I saw a few of those, it shifted to where they are around the rose currently.

Edit: Updated now that I've gotten to Yorrick. Also added Maelstrom/Mini.
----------------------------------------
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by damienroc at Feb 8, 2005 11:38:35 PM]
[Feb 8, 2005 11:38:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Re: Map of the Ice Ocean Reply to this Post

Aye, Yorrick is definitely missing, I recall it being 2 leagues northwest and ~5 leagues west from Wemadeit.

The Yorrick Navy ship I was on runs between Yorrick and Wemadeit, and this, combined wi' the fact that 5 island link to Shatterstone, suggest that there are 2 sets of interarch maps. The ones linking Cold Spring, Fort Royal and Shatterstone, and a set linking around the outside, via Winking Well, Oubliette and Yorrick.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Feb 9, 2005 1:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Do you want info on what charts exist, and the routes they cover? Here's Mini-Maelstrom, which you're missing.

Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Feb 9, 2005 2:10:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

Unfortunately your cap seems to be a bit smaller than mine. Hrm...

If anyone wants to, they can just job me aboard ships to look at the map table.
Shuranthae wrote: 

[Feb 9, 2005 2:16:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Unfortunately your cap seems to be a bit smaller than mine. Hrm...

Probably 'cos it was taken on a Macintosh. Oh, well.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Feb 9, 2005 2:18:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

Here's a few additional routes:

Link.

The arches are:

[color=lightgrey]Vilya (Cold Spring, Escher, Diablo, Cringe, Winking Wall)
Nenya (Shatterstone, Eieio, Wyeth, Kings, Oubliette)
Narya (Fort Royal, Maelstrom, Mini, Yorrick, Wemadeit)

Known interarches:
Wyeth-Winking Wall
Cold Spring-Shatterstone
(Probably Shatterstone-Fort Royal, Oubliette-Maelstrom, and Yorrick-Escher, also).

On route difficulties (very preliminary guesses):
    Maelstrom-Fort Royal seems yellowish-green, similar to Alpha Byrne..
    Fort Royal-Wemadeit is green.
    Shatterstone-Cold Spring is red.
    Winking Wall-Wyeth is yellow, like Midnight interarches.[/list:u:b390800765]
    -Yaten
    YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[Edit 5 times, last edit by blue_jacket at Feb 9, 2005 3:51:54 AM]
[Feb 9, 2005 3:51:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
54x

You bet me to posting about it Damien :) I've got at least a few routes you haven't, so I'll show everyone my progress thus far:

Also available now are:

Small and Extra-large versions of the map.

Anyone who would like to contribute screenshots is most welcome. I'm taking the liberty of slowly adding in all the already posted data. :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by 54x at Feb 9, 2005 3:57:12 AM]
[Feb 9, 2005 3:57:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

Dead picture
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Feb 9, 2005 8:57:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

I would rate the following routes

Cold Spring - Diablo: Yellow
Cold Spring - Fort Royal: Red
Cold Spring - Escher: Blue
[Feb 9, 2005 9:39:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Sorry about the image not working. It took three uploads but NOW it displays for me.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 9, 2005 9:51:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Some routes to add:

http://www.forsakenpirates.com/Map.tif

I can't seem to be able to convert it to anthing but a tif....
[Feb 9, 2005 11:06:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

yer most likely to hate me fer this, db, but if you're going by the color of the rings in lotr for the arch colors, they're wrong.

nenya is air, narya is water, and vilya is fire.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Feb 9, 2005 12:53:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Those are the colors on the charts you can buy and pillage in Ice.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Feb 9, 2005 1:06:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

mmkay then.

i just wasn't sure, and wanted to point that out.
Jen wrote: 

[Feb 9, 2005 1:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
amyliz33

Forgetting Yorrick in Narya, DB.

And I've sailed a Cold Spring - Shatterstone route.

-Naz
Nazdar & Amyliz
[Feb 9, 2005 1:28:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Riz

[derail type="Tolkien geek"]

Gloraelin wrote: 
nenya is air, narya is water, and vilya is fire.

Sorry, but yer wrong on that from the Tolkien perspective as well, at least as far as that list is concerned. You've actually got each and every one of them wrong. :) Now, as for the colors matching the names being wrong, you may have at least a partial point on that, see below.

Nenya is The Ring of Water and is held by Galadriel. It is also known as The Ring of Adamant (by which name she refers to it in the extended edition DVD of FOTR, in the scene Mirror of Galadriel (and her command of water, to make the mirror, is a good clue about the nature of her ring, as well)). In the movie, it is, however, white, and the encyclopedia lists Adamant as an old word for "diamond", which would confirm whiteness.

Narya is The Ring of Fire, also known as The Red Ring and The Third Ring. It was originally given to Cirdan the Shipwright, but ultimately ended up with Gandalf.

Vilya is The Ring of Air, The Blue Ring or The Ring of Sapphire. It was originally held by Gil-galad, but he passed it to Elrond at the time of the founding of Rivendell.

Reference: Encyclopedia of Arda: Three Rings of the Elves

So yer list is wrong, but yer point about the colors being off is in fact correct in the case of Nenya and Vilya, which are reversed. I'm bettin' at this point, however, that the Ringers don't much care. :)

[/derail]
[Feb 9, 2005 2:21:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Riz wrote: 
more tolkien geek stuff!

ooops. i knew something looked a little wrong when i wrote that.

what can i say? it's late at night, and i'm in pain.
Jen wrote: 

[Feb 9, 2005 2:44:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
54x

As guessed earlier, I got my colours from the charts, and arranged the "element" icons with the colours that seemed natural- that, and I had remembered Cleaver deliberately talking about Vilya meaning wind when someone questioned him about whether he should've named his flag Nenya.

If they hadn't been correct, I wouldn't have minded terribly. It's not really that much work to change them around, and I'd rather not be wrong.

amyliz33 wrote: 
Forgetting Yorrick in Narya, DB.

And I've sailed a Cold Spring - Shatterstone route.

-Naz

At the time I compiled the map I had no route to Yorrick recorded. I can't actually place islands reliably without knowing how many leagues they are from everywhere else- there's no way to position them without that information. I suppose I could try counting pixels...

Anyway, I really need either a description of exactly how the route goes (eg: Cold Spring, sw: LP, w: LP, w: LP, w: Escher) or preferably a screenshot. The bonus of a screenshot is that it's hard to forget or get confused with information, and of course that people can't fake a screenshot if for some reason they really feel the desire to sabotague the mapping project. (which I'd hope nobody would do :( )

For those curious, for now I have simply put a circle for every island: I want to position the ocean relatively first. Later I'll be changing the meaning of the symbols, so that Squares are full-size islands, circles are medium ones, triangles small/outpost ones, and Xs are uncolonised. And perhaps also documenting commodities.

edit: In future, using reasonably standard picture formats like gif, png, or even jpg* is much more helpful than TIFFs, if it can be helped :D

*.jpg files lose quality in order to save file space. For mapping purposes, this is a very bad thing as we want every pixel intact if we can possibly achieve that.

DOUBLE-EDIT: In fact, I can't even read that TIFF, even after trying all my image programs and loading a TIFF plugin for my browser. Could you, say... use printscreen and paste the image into Paint, then reupload it as a gif or jpg? :)
from Midnight.
[Feb 10, 2005 4:11:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Length 12 interarches? Is there hope for winter after all?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 10, 2005 6:44:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

They did say they'd be experimenting with new ocean arrangements. I imagine Cobalt may have similar length interarch routes, seeing its archipelagos are so large.

PS: thanks for converting that TIFF for me :)
from Midnight.
[Feb 10, 2005 7:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

Updated. My map doesn't really have anything that DB's doesn't, except for island placement. Yorrick is on there, but without a map, it's difficult to place.

However, the Fort Royal arch can be placed by triangulation. Fort Royal itself is in line on that meridian three leagues east of Cold Spring, and latitude-wise, it's one league north of Oubliette.
Shuranthae wrote: 

[Feb 10, 2005 7:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
54x

/me updates stealthily.
from Midnight.
[Feb 10, 2005 8:24:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

I remember Fort Royal - Yorrick (98% positive, don't have a picture) and Shatterstone - Obbliette (60% positive, don't have a picture)

I would guess that Cold Spring - Winking Wall, Yorrick - Escher, Fort Royal - Shatterstone, and Maelstrom - Oubliette also exist, based on pattern.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Feb 10, 2005 8:43:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

funnybones wrote: 
I remember Fort Royal - Yorrick (98% positive, don't have a picture) and Shatterstone - Obbliette (60% positive, don't have a picture)

I would guess that Cold Spring - Winking Wall, Yorrick - Escher, Fort Royal - Shatterstone, and Maelstrom - Oubliette also exist, based on pattern.

My suspicion is that you're wrong on the secondary routes to the outer islands, although you could be right I suppose. My impression was that they were supposed to be "ring-shaped", with the outer-islands being stones :)

I'd positively love confirmation of the two interarches I've assumed I haven't found. (I'm pretty sure there are three "outer" routes as well as the three "inner" routes)

Happy hunting all you map-collectors :)

edit: Currently, I need info on the size of every island marked with a circle. This is listed on the island panel. (it either says large medium and small or full-colonised, medium-colonised, and outpost- I can't remember which)
from Midnight.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by 54x at Feb 10, 2005 9:22:21 AM]
[Feb 10, 2005 9:22:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

By the way, Yorrick is thrilled to have you all talking about him

~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Feb 10, 2005 9:28:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Diablo: Medium Colonizable

Mini: Uncolonizable/Outpost

Escher: Medium Colonizable

Winking Wall: Outpost

Wyeth: Medium Colonizable (?)

Yorrick: Outpost

Wemadeit: Medium Colonizable (?)

Kings: Outpost/Uncolonizable

The two with (?) were not very clearly looked at when visited, but are almost positively what I stated.

Based on pattern the following islands should be as I say, but may not be.

Cringe: Outpost/Uncolonizable

Eieio: Medium Colonizable

Oubliette: Outpost

Maelstrom: Medium Colonizable.

[Feb 10, 2005 10:26:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

there are 3 full, 6 Medium and 6 outposts on ice
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Feb 10, 2005 12:06:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

The island information is posted in Mariner's Muse, under the Congratulations to Ice Ocean Island Designers thread.

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=15304
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Feb 10, 2005 2:21:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Man, I'm so good, I figgered it out without that info!

[Feb 11, 2005 10:20:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

I have an Escher-Yorrick screenshot.

[Feb 12, 2005 3:08:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates