• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5958 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
jujuman

Battle Navigation Rating Reply to this Post

Ahoy!

I'm a returning player that used to play on Cobalt, and now I play on Emerald. I used to have GM/Legendary bnav stats on Cobalt, but on Emerald the highest I attained was Master and now it's Respected.

I pillage mostly on Admiral-Lincoln route and generally let my spawns target me which are green, and sometimes I target yellows. I finish with max-0 most of the time, finish the battle in around 10 moves and I grapple. Naturally the pillages are very successful, usually I can finish a 10 battle run without losing.

Why do you think my bnav rating is not improving? What more can I do?

Best Regards,
----------------------------------------
Irontomflint on all oceans
[Nov 1, 2016 11:03:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Battle Navigation Rating Reply to this Post

Being a long-time Hunter then Emerald player, I can attest that while my bnav skill has not gone down, my rating has. I was consistently GM/Leg pre-ocean merge, now I'm consistently Master/Renowned. I think there are two major reasons for this.
1) Lack of active battle navigators. Though the latest pillaging update helped with this, there just aren't as many players navigating battles as there were years ago. Less players, plus equal skill from before among top players, equals lower ranking for many.
2) Many of the players who do still navigate do every little thing to boost their score, making the curve more and more skewed. It has been suggested to me, for example, that if I want to increase my battle nav ranking, I should always intentionally lose the first fray, so that I can have a dead ship in the re-engage, to boost my stats.

I personally long ago gave up on getting Ultimate in many puzzles (including battle nav). I just nav to have fun. IF we win almost every battle, and most are max-0, then I consider that a success, no matter what my ranking says.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Nov 1, 2016 12:47:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
minisparrow

Pretty much mirroring what jlh0605 says.

Just like in any puzzle, if less people are doing it and only the people who are good at it continue, your scores will be judged against their scores and therefore will be rated as such.

Bnav for example, is judged on how close to maxxing your opponent you are and how quick you do this. Hence why some people are starting to max - dis - max again (but much quicker).

If it's of any help, and it's on Meridian but the same logic applies really, below is a screenshot of a crew that has 3 people in the top few rated bnavvers on the ocean.

That will give you a small indication on bnav time and number of battles that these 3 navvers partake in.
Minisparrow {Meridian}
Senior Officer of The Midnight Society
Prince of The Dead Men
[Nov 1, 2016 2:04:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furarri

If you can go 10-0 your bnav stat doesn't matter.
What's to improve? 11-0?

.... submarines are out!
Slimbottom won't like this at all.

Awesome avatar by Terrify! Thanks!
[Nov 2, 2016 12:23:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

If you can go 10-0 your bnav stat doesn't matter.
What's to improve? 11-0?

10-0 while averaging 5 minutes per battle is quite different than 10-0 while averaging 10 minutes a battle.
-Gagundss
[Nov 2, 2016 3:57:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crimsonator

In my early pillaging days, and having grinded quite a bit, I found that I was easily able to maintain a legendary standing in bnav doing only green routes, and apparently, red routes like Osprey and Pleiadas (I am not aware of any other red archipelagos or interarch routes in Emerald) and redder ones like Wissa - Beaufort and Tichka - Hubble's Eye seem to help out your rank more, but I have my doubts about that.

I was going to write a lecture on how a navver should never engage their ships and instead wait for their spawns to engage them, but I noticed that that is what you do. In any case, in my early days of pillaging, I found that by letting my spawns engage me, I was able to maintain legendary simply by doing green pillages in Gull, not to mention that the booty was noticeably better that way.

There is, however, one more thing worth noting: assuming that you are sailing on a sloop, you need to have a large enough crew to spawn imperial rank brigands and barbarians. I think Pishkirlin wrote somewhere that navving against any ship that has a rank lesser than imperial will harm your rank, which is something I can't confirm, but I go by anyway. I am not sure how many pirates it takes for an imperial to spawn in Gull, but you can get by with 4 pirates and a regular duty navigator in red routes, wherein, mind you, your rank will go up higher and faster (I believe it's possible to attain ultimate on a green route, but it might be a bit difficult). Also, navving a sloop is much more efficient for ranking up.

In the end, bnav is just like any other puzzle; you can't really expect to rank up from only a few performances. Some ranks are harder to get past than others, especially in the current state of the player population. Just make sure you are navving efficiently (which sounds like you are) and that your crew is large enough to spawn imperials (think 5 to 6 people on a sloop).

Feel free to hit me up in-game with any questions you have about bnav.
Crimsonator, the unofficial backseat navver of Emerald
[Nov 3, 2016 8:23:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vengfulsoul

You need to spawn harder ships. Get better pirates to job for you, go to a harder arch, navigate, set your spawns to hard & hardest.
Vengiesoul- Meridian
SO of Schrödinger's cat
Professional Wigsas photographer
[Jan 16, 2017 4:22:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

The might ring color does not matter so much as the rating of your opponent. Only fight Imperials. There is also a spectrum of difficulty among each crew rating. So you will want to fight the hardest Imperials. The hardest routes are the interoceans, e.g. Wissahickon to Beaufort.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jan 23, 2017 12:47:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Vepar7

It depends on your accuracy and the enemies.

There've been common "tricks" that include:
1) overmaxing your opponent (e.g adding 10 extra cannonballs) to raise your accuracy
2) letting a maxed opponent disengage just to engage the defenseless ship again (and proceeding with step 1) to get two ratings

Other people have been doing it lately, but it still requires a lot of skill to get there.
Got customer supported on Emerald

------
Me:
<counter buzz sound> Just kidding, they are the Desperate Housewives.

majestrate :
Hera is a guy though, so....maybe not Housewives
[Jan 23, 2017 1:46:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nouer

Getting ultimate is a pretty simple procedure, you mainly need to:

1) Always play on the harder routes, with interocean routes being the hardest and then closely followed by interarch routes (route difficult being marked by how dark the LP's appear on your map)
2) Max the enemy as fast as possible, without getting grappled early or getting shot too many times

Accuracy might have an effect, but I didn't pay much attention to it when I was playing. You could try overmaxing to improve accuracy but I really dislike this as it wastes jobbers time, and you can easily achieve ultimate without it.

The biggest things you want to avoid are:

1) Getting grappled early, or grappled with a bad score
2) Getting shot too many times (max-3 and below is acceptable in my book)
[Jan 24, 2017 12:59:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates