• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 100
Posts: 100   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 39461 times and has 99 replies Next Thread
Dexla

Re: On the Horizon: Pillaging update! Reply to this Post

14148 for an hour pillaging = still WAY less then smh. I make that on 1 dip kraken runs.

Same here, but for the non-bravery-badge carrying pirate, or non-subscriber, that wouldn't be too shabby for an hours worth of pillaging.
----------------------------------------
Dexla d'Midnight
[Aug 9, 2016 3:11:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

i have 2 ideas that might be too complicated, but i'll mention them anyway:

we're all in agreement that the BK wouldn't tolerate anyone greedy on their ship -- but wouldn't they themselves be the height of greediness? would it then be too difficult to code different behaviour for compass vs won bk expedition? by necessity, if you've won that expedition, you're already eligible for a greedy brigand. maybe we could win a turban? or a random bk-themed item (very rare, mind) already existent in the game?

and another potentially controversial idea. i'm thinking that if the dnav puzzle on pillage setting were unrated, more people would attempt it instead of sailing aimlessly on empty seas, hoping for an enemy. a sort of balance between swabbie where you can't mem, and pillage where you can't raise your stat. you'd have to come prepared, or at least a jobber who's doing another station won't grumble too much at being asked to keep switching.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Aug 10, 2016 2:43:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

14148 for an hour pillaging = still WAY less then smh. I make that on 1 dip kraken runs.

Same here, but for the non-bravery-badge carrying pirate, or non-subscriber, that wouldn't be too shabby for an hours worth of pillaging.
as much as i'd love to see increased pillage payout fer myself as a seasoned pirates rather than the existing mediocre 200-400 poe per battle predivvy (non-elite all-inclusive pillage).. i feels that it is also beneficial to any new players who stumbled upon this game either via word of mouth, advertisement etc

as already mentioned in many of those "puzzle pirates is dying" threads all the time, one common point being that greenies are finding the entry point into the game too steep as free-to-play due to high dubloon exchange

there is also this counter argument that increasing pillage payout would further increase the dubloon exchange but i beg to differ

i recall asking a hearty a long time back, why she doesn't pillage... and her response was something along the line of "unless the payout increased 4x" (i have to admit, however, that 4x increase is ridiculous lol)

i know of many other hearties who would rather join ANY smh fer lottery chance at winning something simply bcos there is nothing from pillaging (apart from the negligible payout)

that said, having an increased pillage payout to jobbers would means greenies can make decent income as opposed to the current "pathetic" income and they could then progress to other stuffs that require badges.. thereby resolving one of the many issues on retention fer new players

we're all in agreement that the BK wouldn't tolerate anyone greedy on their ship -- but wouldn't they themselves be the height of greediness? would it then be too difficult to code different behaviour for compass vs won bk expedition?
yes, although we all agreed at the beginning that BK compass shouldn't spawn these greedies as it can be easily exploited but we need to have BK expo won during pillage to be treated differently

otherwise, i forsee everyone dismissing all BK expo.. why risk losing one's win-lose ratio and ramp if fighting BK doesn't spawn greedies? so much to lose, and so little to gain

oh and.. please fix merchant expo?

even without this new greedy brigand content, if merchant expos are fixed.. i would very gladly pillage on hours just to hunt fer these trophies
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Aug 10, 2016 3:36:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

TexasBeesh wrote: 

Personally I believe if payouts are slightly increased and the various expeditions are made more frequent that would solve the issues.

While glad something is being done in general, this above would be the simple fix. All people asked for was for the above...increase pay outs.

I am a solo pillager so I don't really know how this will affect my game play, or if I will even get these "greedy" pirates. Still looking forward to the update. I'd have just been happy with more pay out though :D

Pillage payouts will increase as part of this update. And for those who don't want pillaging to change, you can ignore the greedy brigands and continue pillaging like normal. They aren't more difficult than normal, they are purely an optional bonus during pillages.

ryujinpp wrote: 

I'll take a look at this and see what's going on.
[Aug 10, 2016 4:07:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Pillage payouts will increase as part of this update.

/me breaks out the champagne! WOOT WOOT!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Aug 10, 2016 8:53:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

ryujinpp wrote: 

I'll take a look at this and see what's going on.

From what I understand, they are so rare because they don't force a merchant ship to spawn, they simply give you its location if one happens to be near your route.

Perhaps the expo could force a special merchant ship near you similar to a BK that doesn't port and sell off its goods (in order to maintain the integrity of the current economies from standard merchants). Or alternatively having merchant ships count towards the trophy total without needing the expo?
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Aug 10, 2016 11:39:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

From what I understand, they are so rare because they don't force a merchant ship to spawn, they simply give you its location if one happens to be near your route.

Yeah, this corresponds to what I found in my testing. They do appear to be working, I was able to get some to spawn in various conditions on my testing ocean, but there are a lot of conditions that have to be met. They can't be too far away, too strong or too weak compared to your vessel, you have to have enough distance left in your charted route, etc.

As you mentioned there needs to be one in the vicinity already, they aren't dynamically created at the time the expedition is given. This would be a bit involved to do, because there's currently a lot of calculations going on related to the movement of commodities on these merchants.

A big part of what's making these expeditions so rare is that in the event that you qualify for a mechant expo (fairly uncommon), it still has to roll randomly against the other expedition types to be randomly selected. What I'm going to do which should greatly help, is that if a merchant expedition is possible (given relative distances and strengths, etc.), then it will almost always be selected. This should hopefully balance out the various expeditions better.

I've also added some logging for the next release so that we can keep better track of the number of merchant expeditions that are being awarded, so we'll monitor and see if this change takes care of the problem, or if they need additional love.
[Aug 10, 2016 9:23:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
farmboy236

You're the best Forculus, I will never use a spork again.
Majorjr on Cerulean
Littlemenjr on Meridian
Major on Emerald

Aristoza greeter chats, "Hello! I'm an Ocean Master, an administrator of this game. Please shut yer trap"
[Aug 14, 2016 9:19:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doulber

Ty for caring.

+
Official spokesman of Ade446.
Barnabas the Pale tells ye, "You made me literally laugh out loud."

-The D: Retired.

[Aug 19, 2016 6:41:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

You're the best Forculus, I will never use a spork again.

Sporkulus
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Aug 22, 2016 6:30:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 100   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates