• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19870 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Hera
OceanMaster

Doodle: IncompARRable InstrARRments! [deadline 11.59pm 31 July game time) Winners Announced Reply to this Post

IncompARRable InstrARRments!

31st of July is 'Uncommon Instrument Day' - a day in which we celebrate lesser know and unique musical instruments. Forget fiddles, fifes, whistles and drums - far too common for this day. It's time to create something new!

What to do!
- Draw a new and unique instrument your pirate could play
- Elements making up your new and unique instrument should be found in the YPP world
- Indicate on the drawing what each element of the instrument is made of
- Name your instrument!

Please include the following in your post:
- Your pirate's name and ocean
- Your favorite in-game color, excluding special colors.
- Post the original drawing in this thread as shown here. Please keep it to a maximum size of 600 x 600 pixels.

The Prizes

Prizes will be flexible, depending on the quantity and quality of entries, but you can expect to see

* Renamed Sloop
* Clothes, trinkets, furniture
* Hera Eggs (don't judge me!!)
* Shiny Sun Points!

Additional Challenge!
Because I've been enjoying the additional challenges for some recent doodles, I'm going to give you the opportunity to record a soundbite that best demonstrates what your new unique instrument would sound like if it was ever constructed. You can do this by using your voice, other RL instruments, household objects or any combination of those! Those who do this additional challenge will win an extra Shiny Sun Point! Huzzah!

Other rules/information
-Only one entry per player
-Original art work please - while I'm after elements in the game being used, I do want you to draw them and not photoshop existing artwork into your work.
-Contest will finish 31 July 11.59pm game time
- You may edit your post up until the deadline.

----------------------------------------
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Hera at Aug 5, 2016 5:35:36 PM]
[Jul 20, 2016 2:19:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktar7

Re: Doodle: IncompARRable InstrARRments! [deadline 11.59pm 31 July game time) Reply to this Post

Jacktar of Emerald

Favourite colour: Purple

Why should the disabled be left out of all the musical developments on the ocean? Worry no longer, with the new musical prostheses from JackCo!

In increasing difficulty here is the new range of instruments:

The Bermuda triangle is for those of us who are manually challenged. WARNING: Will require a good hand or additional purchase of the JackCo prosthetic triangle beater.

The 'arrrmonica is considered to be an ideal starting instrument for those missing a leg. You can either remove it and play it yourself or you can leave it in place and allow someone else to teach you the finer points of playing the 'arrrmonica.

Manpipes are for those of you who have mastered all the lessons of playing the 'arrmonica. Who could fail to be thrilled by the haunting chill at the back of the neck when hearing manpipes being blown!? As with the 'arrmonica, the manpipes are favourites of sailors all across the seven seas because of the music generated by the winds when working the sails.

Got a full set of limbs and don't want to miss out on all the fun? Why not go for our deluxe package? The deluxe package includes the instrument of your choice and a bottle of the fine rum (it lasts longer) and a set of tools for you to remove the offending appendage.
[Jul 21, 2016 12:09:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Instawolf

Re: Doodle: IncompARRable InstrARRments! [deadline 11.59pm 31 July game time) Reply to this Post

The Gaf'flute.

It's no ordinary flute though, it makes the sound when you are ordered to station ;)

Every Captain should hold a Gaf'flute, besides, the Gaff is OP xD

Ryzak - Meridian
[Jul 23, 2016 3:39:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Huggles123

The Yarrmonica by Hugglesworth (emerald)

A headpiece made of coconut.
A Spooky Spyglass with holes cut in. Kraken Nubbins attached to open and close the holes.
An Atlantean band to attach the two together.
A hollowed out kraken tooth at end for maximum volume.

The Yarrmonica is used by Viking Raiders to raise moral during battle.

(I'd like to give black red yellow as my favorite colors to celebrate my Belgian national holiday. It would be nice to rock these colors on pillages.)

I can't get the image to appear on this thread for some reason. You can see it when you copy the image address.
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Huggles123 at Jul 29, 2016 2:42:42 PM]
[Jul 23, 2016 8:24:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Runkeerin

Sillylily - Emerald
Favourite colour - Lavender

Do you have a pegleg? Tired of receiving right shoes you simply cannot use? Like annoying people?

Introducing, the Rainbow Shoe Horn! *knee slap*

Made out of 100% of right shoes, boots and slippers, this whimsical and colourful instrument provides you with hours of entertainment annoying your friends and foes with the shoe squeak sounds it creates! Simply blow into the mouthpiece (made from a hollowed out boot heel), and you're making sweet shoe music.

The Rainbow Shoe Horn comes with a special DJ mode which when selected, automatically plays shoe squeak versions of all your favourite songs (both modern and traditional), including and not limited to:

The Lion Squeaks Tonight
Footloose
(Everything I Shoe) I Shoe it for You
These Boots are Made for Squeakin'
Slipper Song-a-Sixpence

...and many more!

If your friends become aggravated by the noise, annoy them even more by pressing the green button, which squirts water in their faces using the discreet hole at the end of the Shoe Horn.

It's 100% guaranteed shoe fun!

(Instructions to make your own Shoe Horn comes with the next edition of Shoe Pranks Monthly - only 500 PoE!)
Gone
[Jul 23, 2016 9:14:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

You didn't think you could escape me for this one did you?

Musicologist of Emerald (this time)
Color: this time... Evil Black

I stole this hasty sketch of a design from an Italian sailor on a recent voyage. Using advanced mass spectrometry technology I have remastered the design and determined its elemental composition. It seems to me to be a relative of the harpsichord- though the strings are struck rather than plucked with keys not unlike a harpsichord. These strings are also much thicker, like bundles of twisted wire. No idea what to call it as of yet.

Hera and other Dieties can find a link to a video of the sound "bite" on the officer's bulletin board of my vessel on Meridian - the Harmonious Hara. It's got me pictured in it and is associated with my IRL name (which is not Musicologist- fooled you!) so I'm keeping this as private as I can for safety!
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jongy5 at Jul 28, 2016 5:28:45 PM]
[Jul 23, 2016 12:43:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firstroundz

Firstround on Emerald
Favorite Color: Bone White

Skull Xylophone
Ships Helm (build with the wheel horizontal instead of vertical), cursed helm base, skulls, femur bone from a pile of bones.

Hear It Being Played Link
Firstround on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Firstroundz at Jul 27, 2016 11:11:27 AM]
[Jul 27, 2016 10:55:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Cattrin on Cerulean
Color: White

The Krakenpipes!

This is a kraken-sized version of the boring ol' bagpipes. Due to its massive size and multiple legs, it becomes a prime crew activity! Multiple pirates must help play this garish gargantuan.

[image with items]

The bag is a large [pirate beach ball] covered by a [fancy bed quilt] with eyes from the [barrel clothing item]. Its mouthpiece is fashioned from the horn from [the mead vat] with a reed out of [sugarcane], a chanter from a [narwhal's horn] and drones out of[bone syrinx] garnished by[epaulet tassels].

The idea is, for those ships too weak to fight the Kraken, this bulbous, blasting, beast, loud in both sound and design, will keep it firmly away.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 3 times, last edit by cattrin at Jul 28, 2016 7:58:52 PM]
[Jul 28, 2016 7:48:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Dexla ~ Cerulean

Everyone's heard of a harpsichord, but only a few are talented enough to play

The Harpanchor
This instrument is made from the top of a coat rack , an anchor , and finely woven hemp strings. The pirate sits behind the instrument and uses Madame Yu Jian's finger guards to pluck the strings (as they can be rather tough, and a bit rough on a pirate's delicate hands) and the CI beads provide a rattly, vibrato to each note.

Dexla d'Midnight
[Jul 31, 2016 9:51:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patrys12

Alpha of Emerald
Light Blue

Introducing the TRI-WINKLER

A fun to play with musical instrument made from Trinkets.

- xxx Alpha xxx -
[Jul 31, 2016 5:00:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

Re: Doodle: IncompARRable InstrARRments! [deadline 11.59pm 31 July game time) Judging Underway! Reply to this Post

...and... time is up!

Judging is underway; thank you to all who entered!
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Aug 1, 2016 12:09:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

Re: Doodle: IncompARRable InstrARRments! [deadline 11.59pm 31 July game time) Judging Underway Reply to this Post

wow! Those are all so creative and awesome! Kraken bagpipes! haha!!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 5, 2016 8:57:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

Re: Doodle: IncompARRable InstrARRments! [deadline 11.59pm 31 July game time) Judging Underway Reply to this Post

Thank you again to all who entered. You will all be getting a Shiny Sun Point as a participation prize, along with a bonus point if you also provided a nice soundbite for your instrument.

Without further ado, the winner who gets Shiny Sun Points, a Hera Egg, trinket and a renamed sloop (Bagged Pipe) is Cattrin for her excellent Kraken Pipes. The idea was a simple one, but I especially liked how you used trinkets in its construction. Congratulations!
Runners up, getting a table with fancy runner, fiddle, guest book, Hera egg, trinket AND Shiny Sun Points:

Dexla for a very well thought out Harpanchor (I can totally imagine that being constructed) and Sillylily for the hilarious Rainbow Shoe Horn (at last, a use for those problematic unwanted shoes!). Congratulations to you both - your prizes are in your inventories now!

Shiny Sun points will be updated soon. Yarr!

[Aug 5, 2016 5:35:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Congratulations, winners! :)
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Aug 5, 2016 6:30:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Congrats Cattrin and Sillylily!

Many thanks for the doodle Hera! Looking forward to the next one!!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Aug 5, 2016 8:18:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Congrats to the winners!
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Aug 5, 2016 8:51:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patrys12

Congratulations to all the winners ^_^
- xxx Alpha xxx -
[Aug 6, 2016 1:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Runkeerin

Thank you very much. :) Congratulations, Catt and Dex!

EDIT: ooo! We've gone back in time, have we?

*snicker*
Gone
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Runkeerin at Aug 6, 2016 5:45:43 AM]
[Aug 6, 2016 5:42:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

*head desks*

[Aug 6, 2016 12:40:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firstroundz

Congrats ya'll! :)
Firstround on Emerald
[Aug 6, 2016 3:18:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Ooh, thank you! :) I'll have to try to recreate a Bardic Class with a name like that.

Also congratulations to the rest of the winners, there are some really cunning creations here.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 7, 2016 7:52:48 AM]
[Aug 7, 2016 7:50:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates