• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11643 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
bailet

Meridian-Emerald merger Reply to this Post

I am poking at the validity of another merger - Meridian is largely dead and entirely unplayable at night (averaging a little over 100 people).

Has anything of the like been mentioned before? I know the ocean merges were a bit controversial, but we can see now that they were(and probably still are) entirely necessary.
----------------------------------------
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Jun 6, 2016 12:31:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Re: Meridian-Emerald merger Reply to this Post

Cerulean has less but it is totally playable... This was brought up somewhere else on the forums. I think it was a lot of work to do, so I don't think they will do it now.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jun 6, 2016 1:08:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

Cerulean has less but it is totally playable... This was brought up somewhere else on the forums. I think it was a lot of work to do, so I don't think they will do it now.

Playable and enjoyable are two different things. The dub oceans have enjoyed being able to job frigs (now xebecs) since their start - watching them decay into sloops and junks is playable, but far far from enjoyable.

Dub oceans require a population in order to function, especially now due to dub prices. If players are not running things that pay well, players will never earn enough to start their own runs or ships, etc. It is a collapsing spiral. v_v

Of course none of this takes away from the actual validity or news of a merge, if there has been any so far?
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
[Jun 6, 2016 1:13:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Meridian is largely dead and entirely unplayable at night (averaging a little over 100 people).

Well you did say unplayable... not enjoyable. :/

The first merge was a massive undertaking with a lot of player testing. It is possible for sure but I don't think it is likely.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=194236

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=201046

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=196189

you can find a silly amount of threads on this very subject.
[Jun 6, 2016 2:08:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

We probably won't be merging Meridian and Emerald, instead we're going to focus on making some interesting changes, shaking things up a bit, and trying to get the population numbers higher again.

There were definitely pros and cons to the original merges, and I feel strongly it was best for the long-term health of the game. I don't think it would turn out the same in this case, it would be a very short-term band-aid, and there might be performance issues after merging these two already gigantic databases.
[Jun 6, 2016 2:56:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

We probably won't be merging Meridian and Emerald, instead we're going to focus on making some interesting changes, shaking things up a bit, and trying to get the population numbers higher again.

There were definitely pros and cons to the original merges, and I feel strongly it was best for the long-term health of the game. I don't think it would turn out the same in this case, it would be a very short-term band-aid, and there might be performance issues after merging these two already gigantic databases.

I see - thank you for your input, I didn't consider the performance overhead of having the world so large.

Any hints about what you plan on doing? :P
[Jun 6, 2016 3:02:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I see - thank you for your input, I didn't consider the performance overhead of having the world so large.

Any hints about what you plan on doing? :P

I would also be very interested, though I guess I may just have to keep my eyes out for surveys (or other input mechanisms) and Ice.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jun 6, 2016 4:36:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
ForumBoocher

Big thank you to Forculus for some communication. Any at all raises my spirits, but the content of your posts have been especially exciting! We know you're working hard for the game.

It is much appreciated!!!
Alexjustalex
Natural Born Chillers
Emerald Ocean
[Jun 6, 2016 5:07:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

We know you're working hard for the game.

It is much appreciated!!!

+1 :D
[Jun 7, 2016 5:22:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I don't think it would turn out the same in this case, it would be a very short-term band-aid, and there might be performance issues after merging these two already gigantic databases.

Any chance you can reveal how big the databases are? Total per ocean, if multiple DBs are used to for each ocean. Not expecting anything, just asking.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jun 7, 2016 10:14:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

I don't think it would turn out the same in this case, it would be a very short-term band-aid, and there might be performance issues after merging these two already gigantic databases.

Any chance you can reveal how big the databases are? Total per ocean, if multiple DBs are used to for each ocean. Not expecting anything, just asking.

All your database are belong to us.
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Jun 16, 2016 4:06:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaGi

Oh! I C wut U did thar!

;)
"pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" -Prov 16:18

Jimmyjimjim,
Ex-downpressor of Babylon
Thankfully Retired
[Jun 16, 2016 7:10:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tracysp

I really, really hope Meridian population can be higher again..... I saw nowadays only less than 50, maybe 20-30 players online only..

My suggestion: try make items(games, competitions, clothes, houses, etc) that available on Meridian only but not in Emerald. Same goes to Emerald ocean also, make some items available on Emerald but not in Meridian. Maybe that attract the players comes back to Meridian. Thanks.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Tracysp at Jun 10, 2017 3:35:31 AM]
[Jun 10, 2017 3:22:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Glad they are not merging the oceans. As a merge would drive doub prices even higher than they already are on emerald which would be bad. There needs to just be some more advertising for the game and some in game changes to improve and build upon things in the game. But ultimately the big thing that needs to be tackled is doub pricing as with the price of doubs as they are I doubt it would make new players want to play the game if they have to pilot for several hours just to get enough for a pirate, parol or smh badge.
Robyns
<3
[Jun 10, 2017 11:33:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Merging would be bad idea, as some have bought up the goods cheep as the ocean died in hopes of a merge/resurrection....

This is and has been happening on Emerald as well, with Obsidian's release.

I am guessing those buying are hoping Obsidian fails and then they will reap the benefit of paying next to nothing for the items...

These people are the same who are Fixing the Dub Prices and messing with the Commodities inflating the prices which oddly is very pirate like, however annoying.

I am hopeful Obsidian survives and we all move to it and enjoy a fresh start, how ever am having doubtsl as it seem the same things are happening there.

/e ponders trying a subscription ocean to get his puzzle pirate fix.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Aug 25, 2017 8:56:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates