• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9549 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
altheacat

RIP Kraken Hunt Reply to this Post

Spoiler alert: this is going to be a rant and a medium long one...

Kraken hunting has been the very, very, very best thing to happen to PP. Why? Because of the time scale.

As a long term player ( 2006 ), I've tried pretty well most things in the game, though TD still escapes me. Apart from Navy missions though, and crafting, which are all solo efforts, there was nothing which could be done with mates, be fun, and yet not use up huge amounts of time, apart from poker which is NOT a puzzle. Pillaging, SMH, HS all takes a long time with no well defined limits. Kraken, on the other hand, was a fun way to spend say an hour de-stressing after work, with nice people. The poes are irrelevant to me though it's nice getting kraklings and thinking up new names for them. The really best thing was ( and is ) the fact that each entry lasts 30 minutes so you know what you are committing to when you join your friends.

But

They've tweaked it, and in a bad way.

Yes, the pay out was too high, and the puzzle was initially too easy. After a bit, even I, a card-carrying non B-navver, could eventually understand the whirlies, winds and learn my way round the board.

So the pay was reduced which was a good thing. The puzzle was made a bit harder with fewer route options, again a good thing.

The last change has made the AI incredibly aggressive and frustrating. Which has taken the fun out of the puzzle and the whole experience. So many people have given up altogether. No amount of poes/trinkets/clothes/fams makes up for the sheer irritation of spending half an hour being swamped by tentacles.

This is a GAME.

OK, make new fast puzzles like patching ( can't do that ) and tweak old games ( is sailing really harder than it was or am I just getting seriously old? ). Loads of very talented players have a lot of fun that way, and I completely understand you have a broad player base with young, old, clever and not so clever puzzlers. But please, don't keep ramping up the difficulty of what was the very nicest new addition to the game.

I shan't renew my bravery badge or buy new row boats for a bit, I need a break from what has become a source of annoyance anger and downright rage. And I know a lot of people who have simply given up krakening and even some who left the game.

* Sad face*
----------------------------------------
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[May 31, 2016 2:28:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: RIP Kraken Hunt Reply to this Post

This claim has come up several times. After the first couple, the developers came in and said that they haven't made any changes whatsoever to kraken hunts. More recently, Forculus popped in to a different discussion to say that he had been busy with issues caused by transitioning from OOO to GH.

I haven't noticed any changes myself. If anything, this past week it's seemed easier to me, to the point where, when unexpected company came over yesterday, I was able to continue my run, with no degradation in performance while greeting and keeping up the conversation.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 31, 2016 3:59:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Can I come on your KHs then?

:P

I wouldn't have posted this without talking to a lot of people.

I saw Forculus's post and am very grateful to him for posting as he did. It's fantastic to get feedback. Many thanks to him for interacting with the player base.

There will always be good maps and bad maps. If you get a run of nice maps, yes, you can do well, but a lot of the new boards have been hard. Now that's fine, it's in fact part of the fun of the game finding new routes. However, have you not noticed how the tentacles not only are better at following you and hitting you but also spawn in slightly greater numbers, guard the nests much better and indeed 'camp' in the nests? This has been happening for the last three to four weeks and has seemed worse in the last two weeks ( lifetime of a row boat ).

Anyway, I was expecting this kind of reply, there's always an opposite position. Some people find things easier, or are just luckier at the particular time.

I have two days left on my badge, will look for you Gurni ( if you'll have me :) ).
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[May 31, 2016 4:15:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Keaze

a lot of the new boards have been hard.

What are the new boards?
Keaze
That Bombing Guide
[May 31, 2016 4:20:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

altheacat: I think it's just that time of the month for the AI ;)

But really, the spawns definitely seem to be swarming a lot more. However, that seems to ebb and flow. Over a 30-day period, it does seem as though there are times where the spawns are not as "aggressive" or "swarmy" as other times

Keaze: More rocks and funnels, not as open as other boards.

Thread:

I doubt this is true, but is it possible that more experience in KH leads to a more difficult environment?
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[May 31, 2016 6:42:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Acidash2011

As someone who has recently come back from 5-6 month break from the game (I rinsed the f out of KH before my break and have done a fair few since ive been back), I have not noticed any "new" boards or that the "difficulty" has been increased.
Acidash
Jobbing Minorities since 5/24/15
General douchebag

I hate Haunted Seas
*Graveyards Are Pointless*
[May 31, 2016 8:13:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

Spoiler alert: this is going to be a rant and a medium long one...

Kraken hunting has been the very, very, very best thing to happen to PP. Why? Because of the time scale.

As a long term player ( 2006 ), I've tried pretty well most things in the game, though TD still escapes me. Apart from Navy missions though, and crafting, which are all solo efforts, there was nothing which could be done with mates, be fun, and yet not use up huge amounts of time, apart from poker which is NOT a puzzle. Pillaging, SMH, HS all takes a long time with no well defined limits. Kraken, on the other hand, was a fun way to spend say an hour de-stressing after work, with nice people. The poes are irrelevant to me though it's nice getting kraklings and thinking up new names for them. The really best thing was ( and is ) the fact that each entry lasts 30 minutes so you know what you are committing to when you join your friends.

But

They've tweaked it, and in a bad way.

Yes, the pay out was too high, and the puzzle was initially too easy. After a bit, even I, a card-carrying non B-navver, could eventually understand the whirlies, winds and learn my way round the board.

So the pay was reduced which was a good thing. The puzzle was made a bit harder with fewer route options, again a good thing.

The last change has made the AI incredibly aggressive and frustrating. Which has taken the fun out of the puzzle and the whole experience. So many people have given up altogether. No amount of poes/trinkets/clothes/fams makes up for the sheer irritation of spending half an hour being swamped by tentacles.

This is a GAME.

OK, make new fast puzzles like patching ( can't do that ) and tweak old games ( is sailing really harder than it was or am I just getting seriously old? ). Loads of very talented players have a lot of fun that way, and I completely understand you have a broad player base with young, old, clever and not so clever puzzlers. But please, don't keep ramping up the difficulty of what was the very nicest new addition to the game.

I shan't renew my bravery badge or buy new row boats for a bit, I need a break from what has become a source of annoyance anger and downright rage. And I know a lot of people who have simply given up krakening and even some who left the game.

* Sad face*

Just to pop in on sailing as the rest of this has been discussed - you may think it is harder due to the decaying player base. The curve of puzzles is set based on the performance of the ocean on that puzzle over a duration of time - without new players to suck at the puzzle, the curve goes up.

Although I have come back from a year long hiatus and found the sailing curve to be just as I expected.
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[May 31, 2016 10:33:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Can I come on your KHs then?
<snip>
I have two days left on my badge, will look for you Gurni ( if you'll have me :) ).

I take most non-total-greenies on my runs*, so you're more than welcome to hop on. I use that openness to balance out being elitist on my CIs.

--------
* Certain exceptions apply. Void where prohibited. Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 31, 2016 3:54:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I ran KH on back to back charts a couple of months ago. On one of the charts, I was able to move with impunity, whether solo or with others. On one run, four of us didn't even bother to bomb, since we were able to reach the eggs and get back with little interference from the tents. On another run, I had a full sloop and a couple of the jobbers were seeing how many single-locks they could get in a dip (they pulled 58.) On the other chart, every single board was full of rock traps and funnels, and the tents swarmed the only one or two avenues to the back of the board. Sometimes we had to run with two bombers simply because the tents would swarm the first one or they would spawn underneath the bomber in the recovery phase.

I honestly think it is simply the particular chart that spawns the particular boards.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jun 1, 2016 1:41:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

I ran KH on back to back charts a couple of months ago. On one of the charts, I was able to move with impunity, whether solo or with others. On one run, four of us didn't even bother to bomb, since we were able to reach the eggs and get back with little interference from the tents. On another run, I had a full sloop and a couple of the jobbers were seeing how many single-locks they could get in a dip (they pulled 58.) On the other chart, every single board was full of rock traps and funnels, and the tents swarmed the only one or two avenues to the back of the board. Sometimes we had to run with two bombers simply because the tents would swarm the first one or they would spawn underneath the bomber in the recovery phase.

I honestly think it is simply the particular chart that spawns the particular boards.

I would agree that some charts seem "nastier" than others. But, on the other hand, the OIC often disengages if the head isn't down fast, or if the map is horrible. Next entry or the one after is usually fine-ish, though tents do swarm more. They also sit in the nest more than they did.

Having said that, I am well aware that if one posts a mild complaint about the "perceived" changes in the game, many people post to say : " no, nothing's changed, my game is totally fine ". I just think KH has changed for the worst, is much more frustrating and I am saying it is a shame that such a nice feature of the game now often leads to irritation instead of pleasure.

On the point that was made earlier that it has been said that nothing has been tweaked by the Devs because somebody said so, and that there were no new updates anyway, I am not at all computer savvy, but the monthly updates some on the last day of the preceding month with a built in time-delay. So isn't it possible that a harder curve has been built in? I just don't know.

Altogether though I like the explanation that the tents have PMS ( :) ) and possibly that the more experience one has the harder the puzzle becomes, even though this isn't recognised officially in one's stats. I have some 9 kraklings I have won, so have done the puzzle a lot, collecting a fair few eggs/pods/etc...

Anyway, life goes on, I just miss the fun we used to have, that's my rant over.
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jun 1, 2016 5:11:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

It's not your fault. Humans are, as a rule, terrible at evaluating this sort of thing objectively. Perception bias is inevitable.

(e.g., a truly 50/50 win/loss ratio will almost always be seen as "losing more than winning.")
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jun 1, 2016 6:09:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

On the point that was made earlier that it has been said that nothing has been tweaked by the Devs because somebody said so, and that there were no new updates anyway, I am not at all computer savvy, but the monthly updates some on the last day of the preceding month with a built in time-delay. So isn't it possible that a harder curve has been built in? I just don't know.

I just want to re-confirm that we haven't changed anything related to the difficulty or behavior of the Kraken tentacles. We did make adjustments to the payouts a while ago, and there was some reworking of the boards while the Kraken was still in development which made things harder (as you mentioned). But we definitely haven't made any secretive change with the intention of the tentacles being smarter or more difficult to deal with.

If you can take any notes on your future Kraken hunts, it might be helpful to analyze what it is that makes the tentacles seem harder. Is it happening every time, only on certain boards? Maybe then we can compare notes with some other people here and see if there's some sort of pattern.
[Jun 1, 2016 7:32:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

But we definitely haven't made any secretive change with the intention of the tentacles being smarter or more difficult to deal with.
+1

I keep telling people this so thanks for saying it directly!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jun 2, 2016 5:33:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

I just want to re-confirm that we haven't changed anything related to the difficulty or behavior of the Kraken tentacles. We did make adjustments to the payouts a while ago, and there was some reworking of the boards while the Kraken was still in development which made things harder (as you mentioned). But we definitely haven't made any secretive change with the intention of the tentacles being smarter or more difficult to deal with.

If you can take any notes on your future Kraken hunts, it might be helpful to analyze what it is that makes the tentacles seem harder. Is it happening every time, only on certain boards? Maybe then we can compare notes with some other people here and see if there's some sort of pattern.

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post Forculus!

I wasn't going to renew my bravery badge, but now will and indeed take notes.

Anecdotally, so far, here goes:

- There seem to be more tentacles overall, just an impression.

- They spawn closer to the 'nests', and as the boards are less open, that adds difficulty. In the three turns before the head comes up again, you can bet your bottom dollar three or four tentacles will guard the nest entrance, with a few more added for fun to chase the unwary pirate in the area close to the entrance.

- They seem to spawn where players are. Say you are going up the right hand side of the board, that's where they spawn. Players change to the left hand side, the tentacles on the right disappear, and more spawn on the left.

- They also sit on entrances, be it corridors or, for example, the pod nest which is one of maybe two ways of getting to the eggs. If there is a third way, say taking a long route over the top of the board, at the inevitable pinch point, that's where you will find your Overfriendly Tentacles, in a herd. And they work as a team too, or so it seems.

- They also seem to invade the nests more often than before. If one doesn't time one's entry pretty accurately, they will chase you when you are, say, in the entry whirlie much better than before.

- They seem much more likely to follow and catch you than before. I wonder if this is related to experience, as mentioned before? Like Bnav, the higher your experience and standing, the more the enemy is likely to take any available shortcuts/route etc... to get you.

This is just anecdotal of course. But, finally, generally if the bomber can't get the head down with one or two tries, you might as well resign yourself to collecting little boxes, provided that is, that no tentacle sits in the cuttle nest or no team of tentacles guard the entrances to the locker, working as a team usually.

May I add that my hearties are gold bombers, extremely skilled, and good puzzlers. I've lost count of the number of times they've screamed in despair at 'unlucky' spawns, where they get caught even though they have built little fortresses of bombs ....

I'd love to hear from other people too, we've had the ones who think it's just too easy still, let me tell you, this isn't the only opinion. I shall canvass hearties and ask them to post here if they wouldn't mind.

Thank you again, Forculus, for replying .
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jun 2, 2016 8:30:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

before i start, pls understand that nothing posted is personal.. i normally refrain from posting opinionated stuffs just bcos "quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum" but since ye mentioned wanting to hear from others, so here goes

- There seem to be more tentacles overall, just an impression.
just an impression as ye said, afterall forculus did said nothing has been changed as far as kraken AI goes

- They spawn closer to the 'nests', and as the boards are less open, that adds difficulty. In the three turns before the head comes up again, you can bet your bottom dollar three or four tentacles will guard the nest entrance, with a few more added for fun to chase the unwary pirate in the area close to the entrance.
the nest are what kraken is all about isn't it? be it cuttlebox, tentacle locker, pod or egg.. that's where the treasures are, and that's where everyone will want to go.. so why shouldn't the treasure be protected?

- They seem to spawn where players are. Say you are going up the right hand side of the board, that's where they spawn. Players change to the left hand side, the tentacles on the right disappear, and more spawn on the left.
from personal experience, every board has its hot-spot zones and all it takes is a quick glance right at the very beginning of each fresh entry to see where those zones are.. just make sure ye are passed those area before the tents respawn

- They also sit on entrances, be it corridors or, for example, the pod nest which is one of maybe two ways of getting to the eggs. If there is a third way, say taking a long route over the top of the board, at the inevitable pinch point, that's where you will find your Overfriendly Tentacles, in a herd. And they work as a team too, or so it seems.
i was recently more actively playing again after Grey Haven took over (after being semi-dormant fer months).. just few weeks ago, i went on a solo session when most of the ocean were asleep.. first board was eggable solo and i collected 3 eggs (didnt sink once), second board's egg looked a bit tricky so i went after pods instead and collected 4 pods (sank once or twice).. again, these treasures are meant to be protected.. just make sure to have a reliable bomber, watch the hot-spot zones and ye be fine

- They also seem to invade the nests more often than before. If one doesn't time one's entry pretty accurately, they will chase you when you are, say, in the entry whirlie much better than before.
protecting the treasure are their job, having a decent bomber onboard yer ship is yer job

- They seem much more likely to follow and catch you than before. I wonder if this is related to experience, as mentioned before? Like Bnav, the higher your experience and standing, the more the enemy is likely to take any available shortcuts/route etc... to get you.
forculus already answered that - nothing has changed

This is just anecdotal of course. But, finally, generally if the bomber can't get the head down with one or two tries, you might as well resign yourself to collecting little boxes, provided that is, that no tentacle sits in the cuttle nest or no team of tentacles guard the entrances to the locker, working as a team usually.
that is why a decent bomber made all the difference.. however, having said that, there are times where the board is very yucky fer bombing due to random wind or rock blocking the ideal bombing spot.. in such situation, its best to disengage and get another board - save everyone 30mins of torture

May I add that my hearties are gold bombers, extremely skilled, and good puzzlers. I've lost count of the number of times they've screamed in despair at 'unlucky' spawns, where they get caught even though they have built little fortresses of bombs ....
tbh, trophies no longer means anything fer kraken due to it being around fer so long

the very maximum number of kraken bombing is 16 times per board if the bomber could get to the head fast the first time and not sink throughout

a mediocre bomber should easily get 4-5 bombing per 30mins dip, that's 12-15 bombing in 3 dips... bombing just 3 dips per day means a person could get the gold bombing trophy (800 bombings) in just 67 days.. and kraken has been out fer like 2 years?

same reason why anyone who could only get one egg successfully in 30mins should have the hard-boiled egg trophy already unless they were dormant when kraken first came out and only recently returned to the game
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Jun 2, 2016 2:03:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
Crazymg

Mostly I agree with Ryujin. However I have noticed maps being more rocky and bottle necked at places for awhile also Defendacles seem to have become a little more adventurous and are exploring a little bit further away from the head than they used to.

In recent months I've been triple clienting Kh solo or doubling with a heartie or two, one of my clients always bombs so if i head if blocking eggs I can still egg, if bombing is impossible all 3 will cuttle/locker (only happened once so far) and i don't dis maps unless i'm in a particularly bad mood. One egger usually ends up being a decoy when I try the first down and dies but I usually get about 5 or 6 eggs an entry if i'm lucky 7 but never less than 4.

This week I've been doing my usual with a map between Myvatn and Lyonesse on Emerald, it's been horrendous. Almost every map is rocky and bottled necked like crazy, bombing boards have been blocked a lot more than normal (still bombable but not ideal) for example there's a board with a middle whirl at the front and two opposite winds at the back with whirls on the ends. I normally bomb the last inner wind on the right hand side and the whirl I exit bombing from on the left. Until this week I had only encountered the exit to the left hand whirl being blocked once, this week I've encountered it 5+ times. I can still bomb the right as usual but I cant bomb the whirl (only next to it) and freak out every time a tent gets in the whirl if it's gonna come down the winds and block me. Tents in general are zeroing in on my bomber a lot more too, I could go a whole round of not dying but they just aren't letting me build up my defences, every time I have 2 defensive bombs placed a tent or two would take them both out and some boards require 3 just to be safe from Defs, but I'm just not getting a chance. One board I only managed to get 2 eggs that has NEVER happened before, the egg exit was the the very right of the map with a little area underneath and a corridor to go left past the head and pods, tents wouldn't leave the bomber alone and the Defs kept going up the corridor and blocking the egg exit. I don't think it has anything to do with experience as I've been working on lesser used alts that were only at silver/flan.

One of those alts jobbed on another persons normal run to egg, I don't remember where the map was off but the maps there were all so much nicer looking. At one point one of the bombers (gold) kept dying and said "bad map" I believe it was more Bomber Error as it was the nicest one I'd seen all week, the bomber had plenty of opportunity to build better defences but chose not to, someone else took over (silver) and they failed to notice a tent took out the main defensive bomb as the head went down and they ended up dying from it and this happened throughout most entries. Those bombers had opportunity to place defensive bombs but choose not to and ended up dying and considering I've been dying because I'm not getting a chance to place defensive bombs it was incredibly frustrating.

I'm wondering if the location of the map has something to do with how rocky a map can be/how aggressive tents can be etc.
~Princessmg~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Crazymg at Jun 15, 2016 12:12:11 AM]
[Jun 14, 2016 11:53:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

I've been too busy in r/l to play much, hence the long delay in replying.

First let me reply to Ryujin.

Couple of points:

- the safe zones only apply a little now. No, the tentacles do NOT always spawn in the same place during each entry, not any more. Yes, one can still use the outside of the board to sneak away, but, from personal experience, the tentacles, whilst still spawning in the 'middle of the board', now appear much more randomly after each down.

- yes, I am well aware that trophies are irrelevant after all this time. However, I was, rather lazily, using 'gold bomber' as a short hand. My hearties include people who have done this puzzle since it's appearance on Ice, are extremely experienced and skilled. I don't feel comfortable mentioning names without their permission, but trust me, they're very good and know their stuff.

I have loved this puzzle, done masses of it, not just a few entries after being semi-dormant. I don't claim to be any good at it, which must be part of the problem, but am a pretty reliable 3-egger. I just don't feel like playing much now, partly because the experience has become frustrating rather than enjoyable.

Now to reply to Forculus !
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jun 15, 2016 12:17:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Dear Forculus,

As I just said, I've been too busy in r/l to play much, and haven't even had time to reply to your kind request for examples of tentacle aggression, but here goes. Long but bear with me!

Let me give you an example of what seems to be, for me at least, a common experience.

First, the map is indeed, as Mg said, much more rocky with few routes up to or down from the egg. Take what I think seems to be a typical map.

The start has rocks within 4-6 squares, which means one has on average 3 routes up. One on the left, past the cuttle nest, with at least one tentacle guarding this, with back up couple of tentacles behind. You can sneak up through the cuttle to find more rampaging tents in the 8-10 square wide next bit. Same happens on the right past the locker, with added rocks, and the two whirlies letting you into the locker each have a tentacle guarding them with another 1-2 roaming for reinforcements. The middle route is of course also guarded by two tents at least within the first 10-12 squares.

One can sneak up the left hand side in this map and that's what the bomber will have done and with skill has arrived and downed the head. Rejoice! Then we get to the bombing scenario so beautifully explained by Mg.

The egg is of course right at the top of the board, usually to be entered by whirlies which is fine. However, it is immediately guarded by 4-6 tentacles which, in the 3 turns they have, invade the nest, while small detachments of tents chase any pirate trying to enter. Although they only have 3 moves to our 4, there are so many of them working together, life can be short and brutal.

And coming back down, again there are platoons of tentacles blocking every route down except the edges where they thin out, so down I come along say the left through the cuttle nest and time things very carefully because the spawns are on every possible route back to the safe zone.

Bloody but unbowed, I load an egg into the safe zone and off I go again.

In summary: and I am well aware this is only an impression. There seem to be more tentacles than before, which have less area to guard. They seem to zero in much more on players and either have ESP or jolly good radio communications as they seem to work as a team to guard routes and attack players. They don't spawn in the same spots but seem to spawn where players have left some scent trace, so they now have bloodhound DNA.

I won't repeat what Mg said, but they seem to have suicide squads to take out the bomber's defences, and around the bomber they too spawn more randomly and aggressively. They enjoy the harder more rocky maps a lot more than I do.

If indeed the AI is not more aggressive, then maybe it's a factor of the maps themselves being 'harder', and greater numbers of tentacles?

I hope this has answered your questions, Forculus, and thank you again for taking the time to talk to us.

Love

Noushka

PS: Can't wait to see what the new developments you referred to in the other thread are going to be!
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jun 15, 2016 12:41:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

If indeed the AI is not more aggressive, then maybe it's a factor of the maps themselves being 'harder', and greater numbers of tentacles?

There are always either ten or eleven tentacles, plus the defendacles. I guess you might be getting a run of elevens? But if that's the case, it will pass. The random number generator might be out to get you for a while, but runs of bad luck eventually end.

Honestly, the more frustrated you get with the tentacles, the less likely you are to evade them successfully.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Jun 18, 2016 3:33:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

Maybe the AI has become sentient and the Krakens are sick of us bombing them and they think their actual lives are threatened?

Seriously though something changed...tents for days, defends are going further out (and spawning behind the head)...
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 5, 2016 9:48:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

Forculus has already stated that nothing had been changed internally for quite some time. There is no incentive for them to make secret changes just to spite players.

Off topic, kraken hunt should be harder. The AI is a snooze, it is non sinking and the pay out is flat out stupid for the cost of the life boats. I would hate for anyone to actually have to try though.
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Aug 5, 2016 1:52:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Off topic, kraken hunt should be harder. The AI is a snooze, it is non sinking and the pay out is flat out stupid for the cost of the life boats. I would hate for anyone to actually have to try though.

If they can't randomize the area near the eggs, at least regularly add in new map elements, especially for the eggs and kraken.
[Aug 5, 2016 4:04:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates