• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17812 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Hera
OceanMaster

Doodle: Find-Arrr-Rainbow Day (short story event, deadline 7 April, 11.59pm) [Winners Announced!] Reply to this Post

Winners announced here

What are we doing? Find-ARR-Rainbow Day Doodle!
How do we play? Write a short story!
Where do we post? In this thread!
When does it finish? 7 April, 11.59pm game time

Rainbows, so beautiful and mystical, have long been included in folk lore, mythology and religion. They have been described as bridges to other realms, a messenger from the Gods, a pointer to the location of a pot of gold - to name just a few! 3 April is 'Find-a-Rainbow' day, and we need to celebrate! Your task for Find-A-Rainbow Day Doodle is to write a short story giving the mythology of the rainbow in the Puzzle Pirates universe.

The prizes
* Shiny Sun Points!
* Standard renamed sloop with 'Rainbow' adjective or 'Rainbow' fishname and your choice of fishname/adjective (must be unique)!
* Rainbow Outfit!
* Trinkets!
* Hera Eggs! (Yes, I will force you to have even more of them!)
(Prizes will be flexible, depending on the quantity and quality of entries. )

Arr ye ready to write?!
Yes?? Yes!!

What are the rules?
* Your story must be 1000 words or less (I'll be using WordCounter to check!) including the title should you decide to add that to your work. Stories longer than 1000 words must be disqualified.
* Your story must be about the Puzzle Pirate world, but doesn't have to be set on a specific current ocean. You may find a trip to our wiki helpful for inspiration - but you can also make up a long lost imaginary ocean
* Your story can mention Dread Ringers (past or present), Brigand Kings or completely imagined historical figures
* You are welcome to weave yourself or hearties (with their permission!) into the tale.
* Original work only! Plagiarism isn't tolerated and anyone guilty of this will be planked disqualified!
* Post your entry in this thread, including your pirate name and ocean.
* One entry only per player!
* Entries must be posted by April 7 11.59pm game time. Late entries will be disqualified!
* H A V E
* F U N

----------------------------------------
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Hera at Apr 10, 2016 4:01:39 PM]
[Mar 29, 2016 2:15:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Re: Doodle: Find-Arrr-Rainbow Day (short story event, deadline 7 April, 11.59pm) Reply to this Post

Faeree of Cerulean

Faeree walks into an Inn, petting her new familiar. All goes quiet and faces turn towards her.

"Ooh! Aww!" "How cute is that!?" Where'd ya get it?"

Faeree sits down at the bar and says,

"I'll tell ye, but you won't believe me..."

The Tale of Kermee the Familiar

A year ago, Faeree heard rumor of a rare rainbow glow in the ocean. Determined to find said glow, she sailed the oceans far and wide. So tired and weary of duty navving, Faeree just sat at a league point and stared at the navigation stars. Eventually, her eyes started to pick up on the strange glow coming from the outskirts of her point of view. So, setting sail again Faeree formed the stars to line up with what she saw from her peripheral view. Slowly, more of the rainbow glow appeared and she finally ended up at an island covered in a multi-colored hue.

Walking among the strange foliage, she stumbled upon an old salt that foretold her coming. He said to Faeree that only a rare woman could tame the creature of the swamps. He warned her that the creature would appear and offer help, but she shouldn't allow it or she may be stuck with it for the rest of her life.

Thanking the old salt, she began her trek back towards her ship. Looking around to keep an eye out for a scary swamp thing, she tripped over a log and fell into a puddle of mud. Cursing and blaming her sea legs, she began to clean herself off.

"RIBBIT" she hears. Turning her head, she spots a lovely green, big eyed frog. She nods her hello and continues to wipe the mud off of her boots.

"If you want that mud off, I could do it faster" said the frog. Faeree remembers what the old salt told her of the swamp creature but couldn't believe this was it. It was just a small, squeaky frog.

The frog repeated himself. Faeree shrugged thinking this frog was too cute and as it was clearly a frog and not a 'creature' she allowed the frog to assist her clear the mud off her boots and clothing.

"There, that's better now isn't it?" said the frog.

Faeree agreed, thanked the frog and started to walk away.

The frog began to hop after her and screeched "Well now that I helped you, perhaps you could help me?"

Concerned, Faeree stopped and turned back to face the frog.

Quicker than she could blink, the frog hopped up to her shoulder and leaned in for a kiss.

"Kiss me," said the frog "and I will aid you in obtaining all of your desires."

Finally coming to her wits, Faeree said, "and if I don't kiss ye, what will ye do to me?"

Laughing, which sounded more like a balloon wheezing air, the frog said, "Why don't ye know?" The frog continued to laugh and then made a kissing face.

Screaming and flinging her arms wild trying to get the frog off of her shoulder she ran in circles, rubbed against trees and tried to pry it off with sticks and even managed to whack it with a rock.

Tired and angry with herself and the unyielding hold of the frog, she tried to find the old salt to see if he had any suggestions. Unfortunately, no matter where she walked or in which direction, she was taken back to the dock with her ship as the only sign of life.

Weary and disheartened, Faeree boarded her ship and tried to ignore her unwanted guest's attempt at kissing her. She proceeded to use things aboard her ship to remove the frog, she slept hoping he'd get bored of her, and she proceeded to try all methods of desticking her rather sticky fan.

With nothing working and refusing to kiss the frog, Faeree set sail in hopes of searching for help in removing her not swampy 'creature'.

About two months went by and the frog had managed to drive her mad. He sang all the time, ribbited in her ear at night and slobbered on her cheek which dribbled down her neck.

Finally, Faeree cracked. She screamed, "OK!! What do you WANT!!??"

The frog replied, "Kiiissss Meeeee.... Smooch Smooch Smooch."

So Faeree turned and gave him a peck on his cheek.

The frog sighed and said, "Thank you."

Looking at him and expecting him to finally leave her be, he replied "Well if you would have kissed me on my island I would have given ye a grand treasure. But since you decided to be mean and hit me with rocks rather than with your lips, I'm afraid you are stuck with me. Once you've left my island you can never go back and I need someone to take care of me that has been touched with the rays of my multi-colored island sheen."

Faeree screamed until her voice went hoarse. Seeing her dismay, he tried to comfort her the best he could.

The frog then said, "I'll make it up to you. I'll be the best friend you could ever have. Let's go to land and see what I can do for you."

So Faeree found the closest port and made her way to the local tavern and proceeded to sit at the bar as the locals swooned over her sticky friend. She was given free rum (which did help her forget her troubles!) and lodging. The frog said, "See, I will take care of you by having you share your tale of me and perhaps you will find another like yourself and like me."

Resigned to her lot, she became a spokesperson for frogs, rainbow-cursed and not, and always on the lookout for others like her and her sticky pal.

So, if ye ever see a rainbow glow while sailing heed this warning! "Sail away from the rainbow! There be no gold or treasure! Only sticky swamp creatures pretending to be nice!"

999 words LOL
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Edit 2 times, last edit by lilymoon at Mar 29, 2016 6:25:50 PM]
[Mar 29, 2016 2:27:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Doodle: Find-Arrr-Rainbow Day (short story event, deadline 7 April, 11.59pm) Reply to this Post

Our Sun has been missing for months - nay! Years! Where he went is something pirates always speculate about. But I don't care where our Sun went, because I know how to find him!

It is only possible once every year on the 3rd day of April. Even then, the day alone is not enough. Next, ye must be sailing on the open ocean in the middle of a rainstorm. But of course, that alone will not find our Sun ! NO!

On the 3rd of April, sailing the open ocean, in a rainstorm, you must hope almost beyond hope that the rainstorm will fade and be replaced by ... a RAINBOW! Now, HEAVE HO, MATEYS! Sail faster that ye've ever done before! And navigate that ship directly toward the RAINBOW!

We all know that RAINBOWS are fleeting things, and won't last long, so your chance to find our Sun is slim! But if ye sail fast and navigate true ye just may be the crew to find our Sun and bring him home! Catch the RAINBOW, sail up it's colorful arch, and there ye'll find him, guaranteed!

I swear! This is the only way!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 29, 2016 5:58:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Estaciara

A Rainbow Miracle - by Pantherr, Emerald Ocean

The wind and waves were high on a stormy day on the ocean. Captain Noctii Pantherr and her crew were struggling to keep control of the small sloop that was very under-sized for the current seas. Rain poured down as the storm grew worse and worse.

A large wave swept the deck, sweeping the cabin boy Kingcashs over the rail. Captain Pantherr reached for him, screaming "Noooo" but he was lost. The crew had no time to mourn his loss as it became even harder to control the ship with less hands aboard. Back at the helm, the captain watched, helplessly and hopelessly, as the jobbers were washed off deck one by one and replaced with bots.

Captain Pantherr's only remaining companions were her first and second mate, Niteangel and Deinay. Having abandoned all hope the three of them gripped hands around the mast watching a large wave approach. When it had finished washing over the deck Captain Pantherr realized she was now all alone.

Overcome with despair at having lost the whole crew the captain knelt on deck and prayed to the sea God Poisedon. The storm instantly began to abate, the rain lightened, and a beautiful rainbow illuminated the sky.

As the rainbow glowed it's multi-colored light onto the bots something magical happened. They slowy transformed into the original crew, bringing them back to life. Each member turned their face to the rainbow and worshipped it, thanking it for giving them life again.

Captain Pantherr was astounded by this event and also worshipped the rainbow but noted that some of the crew had returned with eye patches, hook hands, and peg legs. No one complained about the new limbs or lack of eyes however, they were grateful to have their lives back.

Now every captain knows and believes in the power of the rainbow. Every time a ship is sunk or is overcome by weather, the power of the rainbow can bring life back to a pirate. A light rain with the sun behind, causing a glorious rainbow, will bring joy to any pirates face because when they see it they know....another pirate is being brought back to life and given another chance to rule the seas. One exception being the real pirates, who are angry that the competition keeps coming back.
[Apr 1, 2016 9:35:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SexyPirate18

Sexyopirate of the Meridian Ocean

What's Really At the End of a Rainbow

After a long day of pillaging, hunting Kraken and besting Vargas in the Cursed Isles, the members of the Angel's Crew lounged around by the pool in the crew hall in a state of pure relaxation.
"What a great pillage today," says Solame, the Angel's Captain, while sipping on her hearty mug of rum. "Although the teaming could have been better."
"Oh don't get me started on teaming. I've done enough shoutings of reteam to last me a lifetime today."
"We know Sexy, we were there!" Croceye says to her from his place rubbing Solame's feet. "Couldn't get a word in edgewise," he smirks, then gives a playful wink.
Sexyopirate rolls her eyes in response. If only there were something they could do to solve this crisis - every single day pirates struggle with teaming.

All of a sudden Markogold and Justine come frollicking into view carrying bundles of gifts! They hand out eggs with special designs, lots of chocolate Easter treats and Doritos?!
"Happy Easter everyone!" Justine exclaims gleefully.
Then Marko speaks, "Oh crewbies, you won't believe the rumour I heard today!"
"And what might that be my little Leprechaun?" Solame asks from her lounge chair. (Don't ask about the leprechaun bit, it's a long story.)
"Well, it is rumoured that there is a magical prize at the end of a rainbow each Easter. A special vial that holds the magical key to a perfect pillage!"
"So that means no more hoarse voices with teaming issues?" Khoney asks.
"Well, it is a rumour...", Marko replies.
"Then what are we waiting for!" Sexyopirate jumps up out of her seat and races to prepare a ship.
Meanwhile, everyone remains where they are shaking their heads and laughing.

Bright and early the next morning the Angels set out on their new quest to discover the magical treasure at the end of a rainbow.
"Last night I was busy whispering sweet nothings to the old salts at the inns trying to find out more information," Sexyopirate says, "They weren't terribly helpful. They kept going on about Brigand King ships sailing in the area. However I did hear that other crews could be going in search of the magical vial too! We need to hurry!"
"Well how about we just start in Jade and work our way around the Meridian ocean?" Trinkz suggests helpfully.

So it was then that the Angels set off in Jade to find a rainbow; searching every island they came across, but no luck.
A challenging sail occurred travelling from Dragon's Nest to Tigerleaf Mountain as the crew were chased by many bot ships. However, they successfully evaded and were undeterred in their quest.
Once at Fintan, Oldsaltjack was only too happy to provide a fresh stock of rum from his distillery. "Can't not have enough rum for Solly can we?" He says cheekily.
"Thanks Salty!" The crew call out as they sailed out of port.

Unfortunately the Angels had much the same luck in Onyx as they did in Jade - not a rainbow to be seen anywhere. By the time they arrived at Hadrian, it looked like most of them were itching to give up and return to the crew hall to sunbathe.
Sexyopirate and Solame were busy looking over the maps and charts discussing the viable options when Georgiasky comes up with a very clever idea; "What if we split up into two groups? One goes to Garnet and the other sails down the inter-ocean to old Malachite?"
After some discussion, Solame proclaims, "There's no way I'm navigating down there, so you lot can have at it." And then she saunters off with Croceye in tow to another ship.
"So, who wants the honours of duty navigating?" Sexyopirate says.

What easily felt like several hours later, after a treacherous journey from Oasis to Flyaway, the rest of the Angels reached Malachite. With a lack of distilleries and growing sea sickness, a new plan emerged; island hopping!
"Now Angels, make sure you have yer guide books handy and return to the ship in one hour without getting lost!", says Zentheia jokingly.
Then all the Angels disembarked to search in the farthest corner of the ocean for this mysterious rainbow.

Sexyopirate and Emalos whisked over to Acanthaster Spits; because the buddy system always works. The scene before them was dappled snow on the stony ground, an oddly smelling breeze ruffling through the pine trees. The sound of distant moaning and groaning filled the air.
"That can't be... surely..." Sexyopirate whispered.
Suddenly from around the corner of the Inn comes a mob of zombies!
"Hummeeesss!" They exclaim.
"We're outnumbered 15 to 2! Run!" Emalos shouts.
Safely onboard the ship in port, the pirates gather disappointedly. Consistent communication in crew chat proved that there was no sign of their desired treasure.

"I think I found it!" Tarsius shouts in crew chat. Hop on my ship and it will bring you to Spizzwink.
"There's an island called Spizzwink?" Many voices repeated.
All the crew rushed over and they were stunned by what they saw. A gorgeous rainbow sparkled and shone above the rocky island. And at the end of it stood none other than Luckyshell!
"I thought you only appeared on St. Patrick's Day?", said Sexyopirate in awe.
"I came back just for today to offer this treasure to the bravest pirate who managed to find me first. And you did!" Luckyshell then handed the special vial to Sexyopirate.
"Use it wisely and all that you wish can come true."

One week later, Sexyopirate tells of how the magic worked. "I coated my hands with the magic dust, and then shaking hands with jobbers did the trick - everyone teamed perfectly! However, after using it for a week, I've used it all up. " She frowned.
"Oh, well there's always next year!" Solame says with one of her evil grins.
Sexyopirate groans. Although she knows that doing it all over again would be worth it.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by SexyPirate18 at Apr 2, 2016 9:46:25 PM]
[Apr 1, 2016 10:02:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pickypeanut

Lastcall - Emerald

Legend of the Rainbow

It truly was a remarkable sight. The seven colors all bright and crisp casting their beautiful hues across the sky. Johnny had skipped across to the front of the ship to get a better look. Never in the five years of being born had Johnny witnessed such a sight...he was in awe. He turned to his father and tugged on his fine pants while pointing to the tinted sky.

"What is that Pappy?"

Johnny's father smiled at the wonderment in his young sons eyes.

"Why that is a rainbow"
The boy's eyes seemed to scan his brain trying to recall if he had ever heard the word.
"Well what is that and what does it mean?"

Johnny's father picked up his son and sat him on his lap.
"Well there is a legend involving Poseidon, the God of the sea versus the eight brigand kings of the ocean."

Johnny swallowed with a lump in his throat. He had heard many tales of the deadly eight pillaging and destroying ships. They were ruthless and un ruled.

Johnny's father continued. "The eight kings had planned to destroy Poseidon. They were not happy with pirates fearing anyone more then themselves....even if he was a God. Led by their most powerful leader Admiral Finius, they attacked with all their force. Poseidon was outraged at this betrayal and so he turned his mystic trident towards the first king. An unearthly power shot directly through Finius and transformed the once powerful king into a fishlike form, weakening him forever. Half-man, half fish he had jumped into the waters and disappeared swimming for his life. Quickly realizing they had no chance, the seven remaining kings had given up hope and fell to their knees begging and pleading for mercy.

Johnny's small hand clasped his throat and imagined what it would be like to breathe through gills. "Well that still doesn't explain the colors in the sky Pappy?"

Johnny's father chuckled at his sons impatience. "It is said that Poseidon took some power from each of the remaining kings to teach them a lesson. Each color in the rainbow represents a king. Red for Azarbad the Great. His flames would never touch Poseidon. Orange for the Widow Queen reminding him of her tangerine hair. Yellow for Gretchen Goldfang. Her yellow teeth would never sink into him. Green for Madam Yu Jian. Her jaded empire matched nothing in compared to his powers. Blue for Barnabas the Pale. His blue ghost like appearance did not frighten Poseidon in the least. Indigo for Vargas the Mad, his most treasured color and last but not least Violet for Brynhild Skullsplitter. Those icy eyes would never again seek him out."

Johhny looked to the sky once more and noted each of the colors. "They are all there Pappy! Each color of the Brigand Kings!"

Johnny's father smiled and nodded. "It is said that Poseidon casts the colors across the sky to occasionally remind everyone of his powers. To demonstrate to all pirates and kings alike, that there is only one true ruler of the ocean."

Johnny let out a silent whistle. He really was amazed at such a sight and how a rainbow came to be.
Johnny beamed. "Someday Pappy, I want to sail to the end of the rainbow. I would like to find Poseidon and thank him for giving us this great ocean"

With that Johnny laid his head into his fathers chest and watched the rainbow shimmer in the distance as their ship sailed on.
---Lastcall--- of Emerald

Forumn avatar made by the talented Frayscarlet :)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by pickypeanut at Apr 3, 2016 6:58:11 AM]
[Apr 2, 2016 5:58:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patrys12

Alpha of Emerald

Iris

I met the old pirate in a broken-down tavern, telling stories for his supper. He convinced me that he had a story that would be worth a drink or two, and so I sat at his side and listened to his tale.

"Ah, my young lass, let me tell you the tale of Iris, messenger of the gods, and how I came to meet her. For meet her I did, and received a gift from her very own hands!" He took a deep drink and started his tale.

"I found the forage expo map in an old chest, part of my booty from a recent raid. My excitement turned to swift disappointment when I saw that the quest would take me two leagues off Cryo. Now, as you well know, Cryo is a desolate and uninhabited isle, empty of the works of Man, and I was at a loss to know what I would find there. But I went, alone in my sloop, because I was a young man and strong, and curiosity burned within me.
I reached the small island after many misadventures which I shall save for another day. At first, thinking I was alone, I set to foraging and then ... movement! I was astounded! I was the map holder, and none knew this island but me! My shock only grew when I recognized Hera. I crouched behind a bush, waiting to ambush her with a joke or a pun, and then I noticed that she was not alone.
At her side there was a woman, just stepping off a slide like a kaleidoscope of colours, glittering golden wings folded behind her. Her airy pearlescent robe flowed in the breeze as she bowed before Hera and handed her a scroll. I recognized Iris, the divine messenger of the Gods, and wondered at her. Why was she here, on this desolate isle? What message did she carry to the queen of the gods in such secrecy?"

He paused, I bought him another drink to aid his memory.

"You are a kind lass," he said and continued with his tale. "First, the explanation of how Iris had come to be. Iris was the daughter of Thaumas and Elektra and was known to travel with the speed of the winds from the land of the gods to that of humans and back, carrying messages. Her wings were gold, and her robe light and airy and the colour of pearls.
She was the handmaiden of Hera, whose chariot was pulled by peacocks. As it came to pass, Hera told Argos of the Hundred Eyes to guard Io, who had been turned into a heifer by Zeus (It's complicated). Hermes, Zeus' faithful minion, bored Argus to sleep and then murdered him.
In her grief, Hera set Argus' eyes into the tail feathers of her sacred bird, that they may ever see what passes. She called Iris to attend her in the front of her chariot and rode off. For a moment, the sun dazzled off Iris' golden wings to fall on the peacock's tailfeathers and threw a shattered rainbow into the air.
Hera brought to joy and grief by the beauty of the reflected colours, bound the colours of the rainbow to Iris forevermore, to use when she delivers her messages.
For one day a year, from that day to this, Hera and Iris travel together in Hera's chariot, the light off Iris' wings reflecting a rainbow a hundred colours wide into the air as they go. From Cryo to the Lowland Hundred, Hera's Trail is visible, a joy and good luck to all who see it."

After another sip of the glass, he continued...

"So there I was, crouched behind a bush, and Iris looked up and I swear to you, she looked right at me!" the old pirate said. "And the rainbow came into being around her and she rose into the air, leaving behind only the letter to her mistress and the dazzle in the air. For the few moments, her rainbow lasted, I could understand how Hera, a goddess not known for her generous nature, had been moved to gift Iris that rainbow."

I thanked the old storyteller for his tale and made to leave, but he held me back with a hand on my arm.

"You may well think that none of this is true," young lass, "but I tell you, "when I left that island, I found in my pocket a scroll, miniature to the one I had seen Iris give to Hera, and a peacock plume trinket inscribed: "Now you, too, know the truth - Iris "."
- xxx Alpha xxx -
[Edit 2 times, last edit by patrys12 at Apr 2, 2016 10:28:29 AM]
[Apr 2, 2016 10:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trinkz

Trinkz of the Meridian Ocean

The Heart of the Rainbow

Sitting in the crew hall waiting for our captain, I noticed a picture I had seen a hundred times before, except it looked different.
A shiny glow streamed across the painting with mysterious eyes peering in and out.
As I looked closer I realised it was a place I had never seen before.
I asked the crew about the strange picture that had yesterday seemed so normal and so different.
Sexyopirate, our senior officer, told us to get comfy and she would tell us the story of how our ocean began.

''Long before flags, crews and Meridian, when the ocean was whole and peaceful, two gods ruled Shangri-La.
One Barnabas the great controlled the sky, and the other The Heart of the Rainbow controlled the sea and the land.
Everything was beautiful, islands flourished and man, woman and sea creature co-existed blissfully.
A hundred years passed and Barnabas the Great became bored and had a thirst for more power and control. A rift began forming between the gods.
The sky was often dark and harsh winds began to turn the sea rough and unsettling.
The heart of the rainbow decided Barnabas must be thrown from power for the greater good of the ocean. Thus, a war began?

Barnabas the Great set out destroying the islands on the outskirts of the oceans turning them desolate and uninhabitable, forming arcs between the islands,
collecting an army among the people with the promise of riches and power.
A great many remained loyal to The Heart of the Rainbow, the ocean began to split and the first pirates were created.
The Heart of the Rainbow fought hard with her army to save the islands from harm and to protect her loyal followers.
This is how crews were formed and blockades began.

Barnabas the Great became very dark in color and very evil in soul.
He split his followers into groups by the hundreds and sent them out to live amongst those trying to hold onto their peaceful world.
The ocean became very volatile and violence was heard in the crack of the cannons and the screech of the kracken.
Many crews were formed, all with different ideals and different greeds. They formed under the oceans first flags. And because of this, Shangri-La became damaged beyond repair.
Barnabas the Great ripped the ocean into sections in rage and ruined himself with it. He formed new oceans; thus pirates were separated from crew members, friends and everything familiar.
The Heart of the Rainbow had won the war but at what cost.

As Barnabas split into pieces with the ocean, new ghostly shadows appeared, we know them as Brigand Kings.
Barnabas the Great became weak and pale, hence the name he took to be his own.
The Heart of the Rainbow promised the oceans she would never again let a Brigand King destroy the worlds left in chaos, and forever she would sit between them protecting and watching from afar.
A bridge was formed for pirates to cross between ocean worlds to reconnect with those lost and left behind.
In the painting on the wall, our captain Solame stands looking out to the sea, waiting for the day when her beloved Croceye might return to the Meridian ocean; to the piece of Shangri-La left to us.
He was stranded on an island long ago; lost and never found.

Every year on this day, The Heart of the Rainbow forms a bridge between the long lost island and the remaining oceans for a selected few to cross back and return to civilization.
Solame waits in the hope that her long lost love will cross to greet her, so she will not stop searching the seven seas until he has returned.
I'm sure he in turn sails too, trying to find his way home, back to his love, his queen and his loyal crew; who hold his place amongst the ranks where he once sat, awaiting his return".

I asked Sexyopirate, "Is this a story to fill waiting time? And what about the mysterious eyes??
"NO," Sexyopirate replied sternly, This is why we sit and wait today, our captain and queen will return soon. Either with the king or sail on we shall.?

Then she continues, Those eyes, I cant be sure, but legend has it they are not the window to the soul but to the lost island of Shangri-La where pirates are looking to find their way home."

This is the tale of how life on Meridian began, of Blockades, of pirates, of Brigand Kings and of our watcher and safeguard, The Heart of the Rainbow; our bridge between oceans and worlds. And of long lost loves and Kings, and the lost island we search for but have never seen, wondering what it may hold and who will find it first.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Trinkz at Apr 3, 2016 4:21:30 PM]
[Apr 2, 2016 9:13:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kevinstar

T h e R a i n b o w P i r a t e s

In the time before Ocean Masters ruled the Puzzle Pirate Oceans, pirates ran wild with no guidance or rules to hold them back. Greenies where tortured for loyalty and alts where sacrificed to try tame the Kraken and the local Inn was not safe for those who were not bold and brave. In these dark times, there was no colour on the oceans. Pirates only saw in black and white, they would swordfight to steal and rumble to kill, it was a time when being a pirate was only for those who were the bravest of the brave!

This was until one fateful day when a mysterious stranger came through the fog. Dressed in the purest clothes one had ever seen. With her sword drawn and a tentacle from the dreaded Kraken in her other hand this mysterious stranger sailed into the dock. All the pirate?s starred in awe, who was this mysterious stranger? And what did she what with our fateful island?

?"Ahoy, me hearty,"? bellowed Admiral Finius from his fish shaped mouth, "?What brings you to our dastardly lands??"

"?I'?ve come from the depths, to rid this land of ye horrid creatures,?" the stranger replies, as she draws hers sword towards Admiral Finius.

Admiral Finius began to cry laughing, ?"You and what army??" he shouted as tears rolled down his creeks.

As Admiral Finius laughed, he signal for his friends to join him, and out of the local Inn walked; Azarbad the Great with his sword drawn; Barnabas the Pale with a stick; Brynhild Skullsplitter and Gretchen Goldfang with skull rings ready to pounce; and followed by Madam Yu Jian, Vargas the Mad and The Widow Queen ready to team on this lonely stranger.

?"Don'?t think I came her alone"? pronounced the stranger

From out in the distance strange colours could be seen, they were not the greys or white the pirates where used to.

?"What is this witch craft you have bought with you stranger??" asked Azarbad the Great.

"?I am no stranger,"? announced the lady protruding rays of white light ?"My name is Demeter, and I am here to free this lowly pirates from the grasp of you hideous pirate lords.?"

From the Ocean came a ray of red light to which a ship carrying the great Nemesis came , Hera the pirate of purple followed the ray of Indigo, Aphrodite surpassed the ray of blue , the ray of violet was followed by Galene , Prometheus chased the ray of orange , Eurydice came from the ray of yellow and last but not least Clotho followed the ray of green.

The ship?s captained by these majestic pirates all landed at the docks, with their rays of light landing and spreading through the land of the pirates.

?"What be these hideous changes ye have made my hearty?"? questioned the frightful Gretchen Goldfang.

?"We be here to change the oceans, to make it safe for our fellow pirates,? "Answered Hera , ?"We be some of many master to come to protect these ocean, now draw your swords to fight or leave these shores for good!!"? Ordered Hera !

And at once all the self-proclaimed kings dropped their weapons and ran to their ships and sailed into the distance. The last to be heard of this dastardly pirates was ?WE?LL BE BACK YE HORID PIRATE MASTERS!!

All the pirate of the ocean rejoiced, as the tyrant?s that had be holding then to ransom disappeared into the distance.

?"Ahoy lets celebrate"? rejoiced a pirate,

"?Thankye for bring colours to our ocean"? shouted another excited pirate!

"?It be a rainbow of colour to brighten your day"? announced Demeter

?"What shall we call you heros?"? asked the crowd of pirates

?"We shall now and forever on be known as your Ocean Masters? "Clotho proclaimed!

And from that day on the oceans had colour and where protected by the masterful and brilliant ocean masters

Kevinstar of Meridan
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kevinstar at Apr 2, 2016 11:59:09 PM]
[Apr 2, 2016 11:50:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firstroundz

Firstround of Emerald

How Rainbows (And Pirates) Came To Be!!

Many years ago the first pirate who ever existed, found the first hidden treasure ever!! It's said he started off as a mere petty thief of a large village. He would rob homes and merchants alike when no one was around. However, once the invention of the boat came along, well that changed everything!! It's said he robbed someone of their ship and sailed away! One day he happened upon a ship sailing by. He fired his cannons at the unsuspecting ship. He fired away until the ship was almost ready to sink, but then he stopped. The thief decided he was going to board the ship and see if there was anything left to steal and claim for his own. With his sword at his hip, he grappled the other ship and boarded. He found many treasures aboard the ship to take. He also found a mere 5 men left alive. He ordered them to board his ship and become his crew!

As the captain of the ship he let his new crew know that their mission would always be to pillage and plunder, take all that they could and leave nothing of value behind. As the thief's last name was Pirate he became known as Captain Pirate. (It wasn't until long after his death that the term pirate was used to describe all who set sail to pillage and plunder.) This was however, the beginnings of the first pirate ship!

Then one day Captain Pirate discovered that one of his crewmen had been hiding a map from him! On the map was a big red X. It was where the ship had been sailing to when he engaged it and took the crew for his own! They had set out to retrieve precious gems and treasures from the island on the map and bring them back to their ruler who had them hidden and buried it there for safe keeping. (You wondered how all the treasures pirates seek got buried eh? Well there wasn't always banks around matey!) But this wasn't the treasure of just any ruler, it was a strange and powerful ruler with what seemed to be magical powers beyond what anyone had seen ever before!! (How he got that powerful is a story for another time)

Captain Pirate decided they MUST go to this island and retrieve the treasures buried within and keep it for themselves. They arrived to the island after many days of sailing and searching. When they came to the island, Pirate and his men continued to follow the map and searched the island to find where the treasure had been buried. When finally they came to a spot where they thought the treasure was hidden and they all began digging and digging.

And then there it was in all its glory!! The biggest treasure chest Captain Pirate had ever seen!! He began to open the lid and something unexpected happened, out poured streams of light of all different colors. The colors were coming from the gems inside and the colors being emitted were as varied as the jewels themselves! When all of a sudden the chest burst open wide! And the streams of light poured into the air and arched as they reached the sky!

They didn't understand it at the time but through traveling to different islands far and wide, they discovered a rumor. Rumor had it that the magical ruler had cast a spell for the gems of his treasure to cast a glow of lights into the air once they had been found. He would see this in the sky from far and wide and know his treasure was found and expect it to be delivered by who he sent. Or if no one had been sent he would send a crew to retrieve it from the thieves!

However, the ruler and his men were never able to capture Captain Pirate and his crew. This angered the ruler to no end. So he cast another spell and this time the rainbow as he decided to name his spell...would appear in places where no treasure was to be found at its end. This was to trick and confuse Captain Pirate and his crew. Whenever Pirate and his crew seen a rainbow it alerted them that treasure was near and had been found. They would go to the spot where the rainbow ended to take the treasure for their own. However now the ruler had placed false rainbows about as well to throw them off course.

And so it went for many years Pirate and his men searching for the rulers treasures which were buried all around the islands of the ocean, and the ruler trying to fool them away from it. And that is where the first rainbow came from. Now, whenever you see a rainbow appear you will not know if it's a true or a false rainbow for their appearance is exactly the same. But if it's a true rainbow, there at the end of it you will see the treasures and gems revealed and emitting their glow into the air!! When you see a rainbow treasure may be near! But beware it could be nothing more than a trail of color leading to nothing but hot treasure-less sand!

P.S. I totally seen a rainbow today!
http://s19.postimg.org/yox25u8mr/rainbow.png
Firstround on Emerald
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Firstroundz at Apr 7, 2016 4:35:16 PM]
[Apr 3, 2016 1:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ducasser

Burgesse
Emerald Ocean

Word Count including title: 977

"Windy's Rainbow"

Windy and I sat on a flat piece of driftwood on the sandy hill that sloped downward and gave way to a view of the sea. There were no trees on this side of Wensleydale, at least not here--we had come here to talk so often that it seemed as though we had met here, that infinitesimal length of time between when we had first met and now. The sun slanted down across the waves, for it was evening, and I felt shy and grand as I sat on the other side of the driftwood, not touching her, and listening to her tell a story about how her mother had died.

"Now.... now it's just my father and me," she said confidingly, glancing into my blue eyes with hers before turning back to the sea.

"You don't have to say anything else about it," I rejoined, watching the rock she had thrown bounce once and rest on the lip of where the tide was coming up, just barely not touching the water.

"I know," she said. "There's a million things to say and I don't know if I'll have enough time to say them, though."

"I'm not going anywhere," I said, sad. She looked at me and I didn't look back and the waves were peaceful, there along the shore, there along where we had talked so long, and in the brilliant waning of the day our memories seemed to waver out into the mixture of sun and water, pitted against the hazy perfection of the distant horizon where it looked like it might rain.

I had known Windy ever since I had joined my first crew three years ago. We had hit it off immediately; me talking about poetry and she listening amiably, always quick to respond. It didn't really even matter what we talked about, just as long as we talked. And talk we could. I sometimes wish I had kept all of our conversations closer, or at least remembered what it was we talked about. Sometimes I would go on pillages--she didn't care much for that--and I think I remember buying her a hat at one point. I never really bought her anything else. I just always remember being glad when she showed up in my hearty tab; glad and at ease. There was no one I could really talk to and have such a good time with while doing absolutely nothing.

As night crept onto us and a slightly chill wind blew in from the northeast, we both got up to head back down the rocky path that led up to the back side of Wensleydale. I stared at her long, wavy blonde hair as she, sprightly with a spring in her step, turned back to laugh at something I said as we walked down. She said she had to go, and we said our usual goodbyes. I hoped that we could talk as much tomorrow.

I remembered when we had first found that path up towards the driftwood beach for a moment before turning in myself. She had been the one to find it.

Yet, after going on several pillages the following day, her name still didn't show up in my hearty tab. Usually this was the time of day she had the most free time. I waited, stood listening to the usual chatter in the Admiral inn for a while before heading back to my shack on Wensleydale. 'Ah,' I thought to myself, 'she was probably busy with her nagging father today and couldn't get away for some reason.'

Meanwhile, I wasn't getting along with my crew and I decided to leave. There was some argument over fleet officer positions and I just couldn't stand to hear some of my mates making a fool of themselves, so I left. I had enough stats to make my own crew if I wanted to. After being alone for a few more weeks, that's what I decided to do. I acquired the deed to a fine War Brig after another couple of months of hard work and not hitting the poker tables as much. I even saved up enough to buy a row house on Admiral. A few people joined my crew, and we went on a few fun runs. Yet none of it seemed to compare with my friendship with Windy.

A year went by and I received my Fourth Order of the Jolly Roger. I hadn't seen Windy in so long I almost forgot about her. Yet, one evening much like the evening I had last seen her, our friendship suddenly rushed back to me and I jumped on the ferry for Wensleydale. I couldn't stop thinking about her. Maybe she had been waiting for me up there all this time and I just hadn't remembered to meet her. Maybe something bad had happened to her. Maybe I had finally, that day so long ago, scared her off.

Where we had usually met, I found a haggard old white-bearded man in our place.

"Have you seen anyone around here lately?" I asked, reaching up to wipe the tears from my eyes I hadn't realized were there.

The old pirate simply pointed out to the horizon. "See that there?"

I looked out and saw a graceful arc of colors suspended in the crystalline sky.

"I had a friend I used to meet here, too," said the old man. "They say that when those rainbows come out, close to evening like this sometimes, it means your hearties that have moved on are thinking about you."

I sat next to him on the driftwood and gazed up, overcome. After that day, I did not share the secret with anyone, although, some days when I'm alone, I come back and look for rainbows again on that Wensleydale shore among the driftwood.
Burgesse
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ducasser at Apr 3, 2016 7:48:09 PM]
[Apr 3, 2016 7:45:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ilydemixo

The mystery of the behind the rainbow…

The days spend on our ship sailing lost at sea felt like weeks, we were running low on supplies and the whole crew could feel it. Our bellies grumbling with lack of rum, and even our pets could be heard whimpering from their own hunger. The storm was extremely heavy, and though we had every pirate on bilge, rigs and carpentry we were still preparing for the worst. Because the reality was everyone needed sleep, we were all so tired; we hadn’t slept for over 40 hours now. I was a lone pirate, and I didn’t even know these pirates I jobbed. The only solace I could find, was trying to get one of them to distract my mind from the shark infested threats lurking below us. My heart was pounding at the thought of sinking, I already had lost my leg from the last time.

A few hours go on, and the storm starts to calm, the sea sickness on some of the pirates was mighty still. However we still managed to scramble together with the remainder of us, to finally get the boat to be stable again. The storm stopped, not long after and the clouds shifted enough for me to feel the beating down of the sun on my neck, I never thought I could have appreciated this as much as I did now. As my jobbers and myself finally dried off, I went down to the lower deck and woke my sickened jobbers, and gave them some of the little food and water we had left. That was when I heard the jobbers cheering for joy amongst each other, so I went up to investigate.

That was when I saw it, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It was a beautiful multi-coloured cloud in the sky. Was it a cloud? We discussed amongst each other until one pirate told me it is told that it was not a cloud, but a sign from above. I knew I was unsure of if there was a god, but I knew it was worth a try. We decided to follow this mighty sign, for hours we followed with joy wondering what the mystifying path would lead us too… unfortunately the more hours that passed by, the less hopeful and enthusiastic we became.

I was fed up, this beautiful ‘sign’ seemed nothing but a fake legacy, to form dreams that seemed to never come true. I began to wonder if I was ever going to make it home… that’s but suddenly I was confronted with this perplexing blur in the distance. I climbed up the mighty crow’s nest and used my spyglass to get a clear image. It looked like… no it can’t be?! Is that… is that an island. I screamed in excitement, as I climbed down to the main deck to inform the rest of the crew. We were all extremely relived, and couldn’t contain our excitement anymore. This beautiful thing we encountered we named a rainbow, a fitting name for the legend it truly was.

When we finally arrived at port we split our booty and all got a nice handful of poe, then I thanked the jobbers greatly before their departure. But before I could leave, I had to look up at the sky one last time to see if the rainbow was anywhere to be seen. I couldn’t see it anymore, but I left the ship with the biggest smile on my face. Because as I headed to the inn, I knew the rainbow was up there, somewhere. Just waiting to be discovered again.
- Contact me on: Bvbarmy

Meridian Ocean (online daily)
[Apr 4, 2016 5:26:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Imp, Meridian.
Fore-story: Janus chosen as an imaginary OM based on the eternally reliable Dr GoOgle search for a two-faced or many-faced god.

The Bipolar God

This is the tale of Janus, God of many Feelings, little known today amongst piratekind, except perhaps for the odd fireside tale told by an ancient wandering traveller-bard (i.e., me). You might like to sit and listen quietly, lest I choose to sing it for you instead. See? I brought my rusty lute along, just in case.

When Janus was but a young Godling, at OceanMaster school with the other small Godlings, he learned very quickly that he was one of those things that is not like the others. Well, I mean of course, all the Godlings were different. Some were smarter, some were good at sport, Apollo only thought he was good at sport; several were even a little bit mad, in a fun, chaotic sort of condiment-painting and Purple fashion. But the one thing that they all had, that Janus did not understand, was a sort of calm dull greyness to their emotions.

Feelings, to the young Janus, came in 7-dimensional technicolor and were inseparable from his entire being. Sadness was a giant ocean swell of indigo waves through which he could not see or swim. Anger was a purple sky-bruised thunderstorm flashing with electric light and unpredictability. Frustration was a giant orange bell of harsh and chittering sound, jealousy a muted green of plotting and revenge and nausea. Tranquility manifested as a calm blue swim in a placid ocean, happiness was a brilliant yellow glow while he painted and created and invented, and love a red and violet dance amongst spring flowers in a sweet-smelling meadow. He wore his moods on his face, and they were apparent in everything that he did.

The other young Godlings teased and tortured him for his lack of emotional control, until a sad and lonely Janus learned over time and by careful observation how he should act. He began to hide his true feelings, and wear a mask that was considered more acceptable. More 'normal'. When he felt angry, he held it inside, made a joke and pretended nothing was wrong. When he felt sad, he pushed the rising swell of darkness down and smiled, although that smile never reached his eyes and the darkness failed to recede. When he was truly happy, he could let some shine through, although he did learn to curb his wilder impulses. During the rare times he felt at peace he could indulge in that with little fear of judgement.

But the feelings inside, they never went away. Rather to the contrary in fact, they swelled and grew, and the harder he tried to push them down the more they just filled him up, until eventually whenever he pushed down, some splashed out, causing a flash of rage and frustration to escape his control.

And as the pressure inside him built, and these flashes of uncontrolled escaping emotions became more frequent, he became less able to function normally. And still the pressure inside him built up, until finally one sunny day his walls broke down and all the captured emotions exploded in a violent torrent of crystal tears that purged his soul. As the sun's rays met his rain of tears they passed through each small droplet, refracting its crystal clarity into all the colors of his emotions and turning the sky into a magnificent glittering ribbon of color that spread from one watery horizon to the other.

So now you know. Whenever you see a rainbow, it is the silent God Janus, overloaded from a self-taught coping strategy, clearing his heart and mind so the cycle can begin anew.

We would offer him therapy, but we like the rainbows...
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Snowpixie at Apr 4, 2016 11:03:00 PM]
[Apr 4, 2016 10:52:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deadman184

The Lost Ocean

This was no ordinary ocean. Thought it was also not the only of its kind. Yet this ocean had the most treacherous waters and ruthless blaggards the world could find. Riches were promised to all who were willing to travel here and make it their home. Although little did they know, one day this would all become a distant memory.
This was were people fought tooth and nail to control the island that represented great wealth and prosperity. Though they were well contested by the kings of the sea's and those pirate kings strong enough to repeal the brigades sent to take them. Some of these legends have been lost to us. Forever residing with Davey Jones in the briney deep. Others have solidified themselves forever as the greatest to ever explore it. Though all of us will forever hold it dear to us.
Due to a large population a merchant could find his livelihood here, and not only prosper but thrive. The need for ships and goods was unrepresented, because with war brings great opportunity. Neither being in short supply. Those of us with the silver tongue necessary to take on such a task, have today become the very fabric which holds us together.
This Ocean seems to be its own proverbial paradise, yet we should have know it would one day change. Although we never could have predicted how much so. Eventually every pirate saw a mysterious light in the sky. Followed by whistles indicating that something was coming and we would need to take precautions. As the light began to grow closer, it took many pigments, and shone bright with all the colors of a prism. It began to pick up speed, Flying headlong at us as if to destroy us all. Fear began to well up in some of the population, others boldly rode out the storm content, that they had lived their life to the fullest. When it seem so close you could reach out to the sky and touch it, the light began to brighten. So bright that any who looked too long would become blind and cringe in pain. Just before impact, instead of barreling through the world like it seem to have intended. It slowed completely. Then came to a gentle rest on the shore of this oceans greatest city. Pirates came far and wide to see the wonder before us. What had appeared was a Rainbow. Not an ordinary rainbow, but one of substance, you could actually reach out and touch. This rainbow had some sort of effect on the pirates who gazed upon it. calling them to the other side. Some went in search of wealth, others for new challenges for their mighty fleets. But never did they expect to cross this path, and find what was before them. A shining Emerald in all its glory. Filled with the dreams of those old and new to this world.
We knew not what to expect on this day, but never could there have been a better treasure, thrust upon us. Whatever other-worldly power this rainbow possessed, was truly for the good of our world, and reunited long lost friends, and allowed some new friendships to come about which never would have come to pass.

Pirate: Hicaru Ocean: (Sage) .A.K.A Emerald

[Apr 5, 2016 9:33:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Adnerb7

Adnerb of Emerald

Summoned by an urgent message, a lass runs to Spaniel port where she is met and escorted quickly to the captain’s cabin of the finest ship she’d ever seen. Inside she finds a woman of advanced years being cared for in bed.

The woman asks her to sit near and orders the room cleared.

Thank you for coming so quickly my dear there is little time. Listen carefully for I must now pass on to you a great secret, the secret of the most successful pirate on Emerald Ocean. The secret of the rainbow, she whispers.

Many years ago I was a passenger traveling by sea when during a light rain appeared a rainbow directly overhead. Suddenly the captain and crew on board were still. A soft sound lured me to look over the port bow. I stared in amazement as I saw three women. They moved, not women but mermaids.

They told me without speech you are the 1st of your kind we have met and this meeting no accident. We love how you feel; your mind is like ours. You are not like the other creatures on that ship. When we swim away your crew will awake and call you captain. The colors you see are a reflection of ours. You will follow them to riches beyond imagination. We know where the treasures are and gladly point the way to a heart that is true.

The old woman takes the lass’s hand and places a paper in it. The deed to your Wondrous Xebec, Captain, she says softly. The course is set for you to sail me to my final rest near Cook Island. You will know the spot, it be marked with a rainbow.

The lass gasps and asks why me? Was not me did the choosing, you will meet them soon said the old captain with a smile.
[Apr 6, 2016 3:55:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Locu of Cerulean

putting the short back into short story ;)

When the world was young, the little gods, goddesses and titans were playing. Apollo was riding on his sun chariot while Cronus teased Hera until she cried. So Hera's tears with Apollo's sun chariot glare formed the first rainbow. If you follow it to its end you might find some old toys of Hera, or just some eggs.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Apr 6, 2016 10:09:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Herowena of Cerulean

The Rainbow Rat

Long ago, when the world was new, the first alchemists created the first dyes. Naturally, they weren't the crafty pirate alchemists we have today. There were no well-stocked shoppes filled with gleaming tubes and beakers. There were only the experimental potion brewers... and, of course, the rats.

Rats have always been drawn to alchemical pursuits. Intelligence and curiosity, combined with robust appetites, lure rats to brews and stews of every type. Alchemists, sharing similar qualities, soon recognized their kindred spirits. Tamed rodents became integral to potion creation itself. For a morsel here, and a tidbit there, a rat could be trained to push a stirring stick or scavenge a wild herb. Color bloomed on the rough clothes and crude shelters of our ancient mates.

Then came the time of the Rainbow Rat. Even more clever than his brethren, more curious, and more greedy. He saw the pirates' bounty, and he wanted more than crumbs. He saw their chromatic clothes, and was unhappy with his tan fur. He saw their gaudy walls, and no longer liked his drab little nest.

The Rainbow Rat grew more and more restless and unsatisfied. He decided, if he couldn't have all the colors, then no one else could, either. In a frenzy, he pushed and dragged every pot of dye and potion from every hut and cave, into the center of one small empty fire pit. The potions bubbled, and the dyes sloshed, but he corralled them all within the ring of still-warm stones. Panting, exhausted, but not regretting his haste, Rainbow Rat gazed with gleaming eyes at his treasure trove.

Boom! The mixed and heated liquids exploded with such force, they penetrated the air itself. Rainbow Rat was never seen again, but whenever rain washes the sky, a reminder of his epic plunder is revealed.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by joandart at Apr 7, 2016 3:39:53 AM]
[Apr 7, 2016 3:21:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
care_2_sea

A long time ago on an ocean far, far away. . . .

RAIN
BOWS

Episode I
A Krakeny Menace

It is a period of civil war. Rebel ships are relentlessly blockading island after island. Emmaretta has no interest in blockades, preferring instead to combine a trade run with a casual pillage. She loads her sloop – Colourful Plaice – with all the minerals and herbs she can and hires a few greenie jobbers and a new hearty she made at the drinking table.

Emmaretta says, “Ahoy mates ;) Pick any station ye like as long as all get covered”
A greenie says, “Need gunner?”
Emmaretta says, “No thanks mate, guns are covered :p”
[a greenie has left the vessel]
Emmaretta laughs

Emma and her crew had a very successful pillage, winning 8 out of 8 battles and foraging a variety of colourful fruits on their way to her trade destination. As they approached the penultimate league point, however, the sky began to crack with lightning. The ocean began to rise and fall and the Colourful Plaice was tossed and turned. A few hundred yards behind of the ship, the ocean opened up and out of the depths rose a huge, terrifying creature with more tentacles than ye could count.

Emmaretta shouts, “THE KRAKEN!!”

Emma’s crew were filled with fear. Despite the successful pillage they had been a part of, none felt any loyalty to Emma. Perhaps her jokes had worn on them, or maybe they simply lacked a bravery badge. Whatever the cause, they all promptly whisked off the ship to safety, leaving Emma with swabbies.

Happy Anne says, “Reporting for duty!”
Silly Bingham says, “Have you ever seen a Kraken?”

Emmaretta ordered the vessel to turn about while cursing her ex-crewmates under her breath. She ordered her swabbies to their stations and hopped on duty navigation to increase their speed.

Emmaretta thinks, “If I can just make it to the island, I can port and me booty and my commodities will be safe”

Emma struggled to keep the ship on course as the Kraken’s tentacles crashed into the ocean around it. Her dnav board filled up with pieces as she progressed through the puzzle, while the kraken gained on the ship from behind. With a mere half league point to go, Emma lost concentration on her puzzle.

[Oh, ye booched it]

The vessel turned about and headed straight for the Kraken’s mouth! Emma tried to turn about again, but it was too late. Instead of turning around, she only made it far enough to avoid the Kraken’s mouth and entered its nostril. The Colourful Plaice broke apart and Emma’s colourful cargo plastered the walls of the Kraken’s nose. A barrel broke open and filled the cavernous nostril with a cloud of gunpowder.

An incredibly loud groan rumbled through the cavern, air and water were sucked in from the ocean. Emma struggled to cling on to the mast of her ship, which luckily had embedded itself into the wall of the Kraken’s nostril.

“AAH, AAAAAAAH, AAAAACHOOOOOOOO!!!!”

The Kraken sneezed! The gunpowder exploded and water rushed out of the Kraken’s nose, drawing colour from Emma’s cargo. The explosion propelled Emma out of the Kraken and on to a faraway island. As she woke, minutes later, overhead was the most beautiful sight she had ever seen. The sky was split with a bow of colour, in a fine mist of water. Emma had caused and witnessed the first ever rainbow to occur in the YPP universe.

From that point on, Emma knew whenever she saw that same sight, that the kraken she had tangled with either had another pirate encounter, or merely had a bad case of hayfever.

The end.

Emmaretta
Emerald Ocean
Once Emmaretta on Cobalt
Now Emmaretta on Emerald
[Apr 7, 2016 9:57:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Budclare, Meridian

Long ago, a pirate named Prism washed ashore on some ocean or another. She became a fleet officer in a crew of moderate repute, a hearty to some pirates of slight influence. Renowned in a few puzzles and able in others, she rarely stood out.

She seemed an ordinary-enough pirate to look at her: the same round face, the same once-a-year nose, the same height as everyone else. A standard hairstyle, a standard skin tone, the same hook for a hand as the next pirate. Normal.

After a chance encounter on a dock, she began stalking Apollo, but there's nothing special about that, either; Ocean Masters never lack admirers, and the Sun God was no stranger to being stalked. He had his own cult of stalkers, even, called Doodlers. Prism was one sun-stalker of many.

Her stalking did, however, reveal the most remarkable thing about her, some strange characteristic of her nature that made her truly unique.

Some say she is a Doodler, one who really misses her god. Some say she's just a perpetual greenie with no boundaries. Still others say she's trying to pick his pockets looking for dolls.

Whatever the reason, every time she succeeds in cornering poor, put-upon Apollo, she pounces on him and doesn't want to let go. So from the first moment of her non-consensual embrace until Apollo finally manages to pry her off him, the light from the sun is split into a rainbow that can be seen across all oceans.

Is she blessed by the gods? Cursed? Is it some random birth defect? Or just some quirk of her personality? No one knows...except perhaps Apollo, and he is silent of late.

The moral of this story varies wildly depending on who's telling it, and so shall be left as an exercise for the reader.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Apr 7, 2016 11:03:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Storytime
(961 words)

"Grammy, I'm boooreeeddddd. It's been raining forever."
"It looks like the sun's coming out, Colin. Pretty soon, the rain will dry out."
"Oh, yeah! There's a rainbow!"
"So there is! Do you know where rainbows come from?"
"Well, my teacher says it's from sunlight refracting the water in the sky..."
"Lies on top of lies, my boy. I'll tell you the story of where they're REALLY from."
"But Grammy, I want to go outside, since the rain stopped."
"Shush and listen up. It all started on the Alpha ocean, way back when the Oceanmasters were young..."
"They were young once? I thought they've always been around!"
"Yes, well, they've been around as long as the world has. So this was back when the world was a lot younger than it is today. Now, this is before there were oceans, and also before there were people. There were just plants, animals, and the Oceanmasters themselves, who lived on a mountaintop known as The Headquarters of the Three Rings."
"Why was it called that?"
"They thought it sounded cool."
"Oh."
"Anyway, the Oceanmasters were younger, and also less wise than they are today. But they were still very powerful."
"How wise can they be, if they can't even spell shipwrightery properly? I can spell it properly, and I'm fictional!"
"Hush, you. They were powerful but rather immature, back then. One day, whilst playing with her spinning magick, Clotho created a beautiful spool of thread. At first glance, the thread appeared to be white, but upon closer inspection, one could see every color imaginable emanating from the thread, blending together to form a bright white color."
"What's emanating mean?"
"Coming out of."
"Oh."
"Pretty soon, Hephaestus came by, and was amazed by the beauty of the spool. He shouted to the other Oceanmasters, bringing them over to admire the thread.
'Look at what Clotho made!' he shouted--"
"You're not doing the voices!"
"Oh, fine. 'Pretty!' Aphrodite shouted, 'You can see my favorite shade of gold in it!'
'Bah, who cares?' asked Hera. 'It's got PURPLE in it!'
'Purple shmurple,' dismissed Galene. 'Rose is clearly the best color in this! There should be more rose. It should be entirely rose!'
'It needs more yellow,' criticized Apollo.
'Why isn't there any black?' shouted an outraged Atropos. 'There should be black in it!'
Needless to say, the bickering soon came to blows, fighting over the spool and defending their favorite colors. The Oceanmasters were so absorbed in their fight that they didn't see a tearful Clotho run away, leaving her handmade treasure behind.
Clotho was one of the youngest Oceanmasters, and while she was skilled at her weaving craft, she wasn't so skilled at hiding or controlling her emotions. She found a nook in the Headquarters and started crying. Everyone had been criticizing the thread she'd worked so hard on! And she hadn't even wanted them all to see it, in the first place."
"Clotho was pretty sensitive, huh?"
"She was. And the other Oceanmasters were too engaged in their quarrel to notice. Eurydice was the first to notice something was amiss. While wrestling Prometheus, she'd been pinned near the edge of the mountaintop. Glancing down, she noticed that where there had been soft grassy slopes, there were now dark, angry waves crashing against the mountainside.
'Wait, Prometheus,' she said. 'Look over the edge.'
'I'm not falling for that one again,' said Prometheus.
'No, look!'
A safe distance from the edge, he peered over. When he saw the waters, he gasped.
'There's water,' he shouted. 'Look!'
Their fight forgotten (the Oceanmasters had short attention spans), everyone ran to the edge, taking in the great expanse of water surrounding their mountain.
'Where did it come from?' Nemesis asked.
'I don't know,' said Apollo, 'but this is even cooler than Clotho's thread! No offense, Clotho.' Apollo looked around and frowned. 'Wait. Where is Clotho?'
When they couldn't find her, they split up, deciding to search the headquarters. Although no one said it, they all felt mildly guilty for starting a fight over her pretty thread.
Bia was the first to find her, and she realized that Clotho's crying must be the source of the ocean. She tried to comfort Clotho by telling her that she thought her thread was nice, but Clotho just cried harder, and said, 'You're just saying that because I'm upset.'
'You made a cool body of water, too, with all your crying' Bia said, floundering for something to cheer Clotho up.
'I knew it!' cried Clotho. 'You think I'm a crybaby!'"
"She kinda was a crybaby."
"Shh. Sighing, Bia went to fetch the other Oceanmasters to help comfort her.
'All the colors are lovely,' Hera admitted. 'Purple especially, but all of them together is pretty too. Your thread was nice.'
'Yup,' agreed Galene. 'You're definitely the best spinner! Sorry for arguing about it.'
Almost everyone else chimed in, telling Clotho how nice her thread was and apologizing for their quarrel. Clotho's sobs turned into sniffles. One apology, however, was conspicuously missing. The Oceanmasters looked at Apollo expectantly.
'What?' Apollo asked defensively.
'You know what,' Nemesis said, crossing her arms.
Under the weight of the glares of all the other Oceanmasters, Apollo finally relented, handing Clotho the spool of thread and saying, 'Fine. I'm sorry. It's beautiful the way it is.'
A grin broke across Clotho's face and she crushed Apollo in a hug. 'Thank you! I think I know exactly what to do with this.'
That night, Clotho used the thread to weave a banner, which Apollo hung for her in the sky. She would bring it again out whenever an Oceanmaster got upset, and Apollo would climb out to hang it. That's why rainbows, made up of all the colors, need both rain and sunshine. The end."

Wayfarer of Meridian
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Apr 7, 2016 11:57:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

And...time! Thank you all for the wonderful entries. Judging now begins!
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Apr 8, 2016 1:57:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

Thank you to all who entered! I always expect to have a tough time judging doodles, and this event was no exception. I've enjoyed reading, re-reading and reading again all the entries in an effort to determine a winner. Many cups of coffee have been consumed, and I've developed a bald spot from pulling out my hair trying to determine who takes the top spots. In the end, I had to decide on two joint winners and three runners-up.

Joint winners, who get a renamed sloop each, a Hera Egg, trinket and Shiny Sun Points:

Burgesse of Emerald for "Windy's Rainbow" - a wonderfully written story that held my attention right from the start. I thoroughly enjoyed how you introduced the rainbow into the story right at the end - well done!

and

Herowena of Cerulean for 'The Rainbow Rat'. Rats never get enough love, and I now have a strong desire to see a rainbow rat in game! An amusing story that had me grinning, even at the rather traumatic (for the rat) ending!

Congratulations to you both. Please send in petitions marked to my attention, giving the preferred name of the sloop you would like (Rainbow adjective, or Rainbow fishname) and which port you want it at.

Runners-Ups getting a rainbow outfit, Hera Egg, trinket and Shiny Sun Points:

Lastcall of Emerald for 'Legend of the Rainbow'. A wonderful story weaving the Brigand Kings into the creation of rainbows, clever touch!

Emmaretta of Emerald - I now can't get a particular theme tune out of my head. Thanks! A very funny story, especially the end.

Wayfarer of Meridian - A very funny story with nice little digs over spelling. I'll remember that...

A very big thanks to those of you who didn't place - all who entered will get Shiny Sun Point!

Prizes will be delivered over the next couple of days!
[Apr 10, 2016 3:58:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Thanks and congrats to the winners! Certainly my most last-minute entry... with a bunch of things I wanted to fix...
Some really fun stories out there :)

(also when it comes to the rainbow outfit, my headgear of choice is the valkyrie helmet, if you take requests!)
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Apr 10, 2016 4:20:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pickypeanut

Thank you for this cute event and also congratz to all the winners. It is always a great time participating in these doodles. I think the best part of all was looking in my inventory and seeing that Hera wanted to create her own story....a Toy Story I believe

For my rainbow outfit she cast me as Woody----> lol
Thanks for the outfit and cant forget those awesome sun points! woot woot!
---Lastcall--- of Emerald

Forumn avatar made by the talented Frayscarlet :)
[Apr 10, 2016 4:38:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Oh yay! Thank you! I am so pleased with all the events we've been having lately. I get to exercise my Doodle muscles, and be entertained and amazed by the things everyone else comes up with. Thank you for running them!
Herowena of Cerulean

Dexla drew it.
[Apr 10, 2016 5:18:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
care_2_sea

Thanks!
Fun to write, fun to read the others too. Great event!
Once Emmaretta on Cobalt
Now Emmaretta on Emerald
[Apr 10, 2016 6:14:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Like a doofus, I closed the petition too soon, but thanks Hera! :)
Herowena of Cerulean

Dexla drew it.
[Apr 10, 2016 7:21:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
care_2_sea

Forgot I had pretty much embraced the rainbow outfit theme already :P

Before:

After:

Love the new outfit though.
Thanks again Hera!
Once Emmaretta on Cobalt
Now Emmaretta on Emerald
[Apr 11, 2016 3:27:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

thank you and congratulations. Those stories were really amazing.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Apr 11, 2016 12:13:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Congratulations winners! These were all amazing stories!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Apr 11, 2016 5:15:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates