• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 96
Posts: 96   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15980 times and has 95 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2016 - [The Eggy Dozen has Hatched!] Reply to this Post

Winners!

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture!
"Hard Boiled, Soft Boiled, Hard Scrambled, Soft Scrambled, Sunny Side Up, Over Easy, Over Medium, Over Hard, Poached, Baked, Basted, Fried!"

The wait is ova! Here's your chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. Remember that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using image tags .
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, make sure to mention this as well or we'll choose for you!
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here and here
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Other rules and guidelines:
-- You should submit original work - this means that you have to create the design yourself. References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entrie . You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.
-- Your design should be able to 'wrap' - this means that the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side and check if it has an unsightly seam running down the egg. Please note that while we encourage artists to present seamless designs, a seam is acceptable as long as the egg looks good when rendered. If you are unable to make a seamless design no matter how hard you try, submit the entry anyway if you feel your design is good!
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model. Keep in mind that your design may be rotated for the final egg.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs since 2006.
--Make sure to check the second post for "Tips and tricks and links and things"!

The deadline for egg designs is Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:59 PM game time.
If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given a couple of eggs in your design and the Gilded Egg trophy if you don't already have it.

[Rendering Eggs 2016] Test your egg renders here!

Go forth and lay eggs!

Edit: Other rules and guidelines moved to first post.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 13 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 24, 2016 7:44:58 PM]
[Jan 26, 2016 10:09:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2016 - [Deadline: February 24] Reply to this Post

Tips and tricks and links and things:

These links are included not just as a reminder of previous entries, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

2016: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2016 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2015: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2015 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2014: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2014 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2013: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2013 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2012: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2012 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2011: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2011 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2010: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2010 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2009: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2009 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2008: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2008 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2007: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2007 rendering test thread
2006: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2006 rendering test thread

TUTORIALS!
-- YPPedia Egg Design page
-- YPPedia Helpful art tutorials and resources

RENDERING!
In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. Review the rendering threads from previous years so you can see the designs that were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!

-- If you want to see your design rendered on to an egg shape before posting it as an official entry, try testing your egg renders here!
-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, you can get it from YPPedia here, or link to the file directly here. It's linked from Egg#Competition_files . You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modeling program. Note that you do not need to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modeling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender). You may need a renderer plug-in.
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to or other useful tutorials I may have missed, I'll be happy to edit these in! Thanks again to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year, thanks in advance. This Eggomelet wouldn't be the same without you all!

Edit: Adding Faeree's tutorial
Edit: rearranging links to make the page easier to read. Adding links to YPPedia pages
Edit: clearing redundancies.
Edit: Moving rules to first post
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 29, 2016 1:38:26 PM]
[Jan 26, 2016 10:12:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2016 - [Deadline: February 24] Reply to this Post

Eeeeeeeeeggggggggssssss
The event I am tremendously hopeless at but full of admiration towards winners for.
(what even is grammar)
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Jan 26, 2016 10:35:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paulpopper

Yay! I've been waiting so patiently!
Sapphic on Emerald Ocean. :D
[Jan 27, 2016 7:44:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Hi Guys and Gals!

I posted a test rendering page here:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=204213

I'll do my best to render, but I'm dealing with an ear infection right now so my hours will be a bit limited this week most likely.

Go forth and lay design some eggs!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Jan 27, 2016 11:15:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Yay! So happy to see it's eggy time again!

I noticed that you are still referencing the old tutorials in your "Tips and tricks and links and things" post. I know that Faeree created an updated egg rendering tutorial and also updated the Egg Design YPPedia page and the Art:Helpful art tutorials and resources page. It would be a lot clearer to point everyone to the Egg Design page as this page makes it clearer which tutorials will most likely work with the current version of the software, yet still references the older tutorials and links to the Helpful art tutorials and resources page. Just a helpful suggestion! If not, please add Faeree's tutorial to the current list.
Faeree's 3DS Max 2014 Tutorial with Photoshop
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jan 27, 2016 11:18:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I'll do my best to render, but I'm dealing with an ear infection right now so my hours will be a bit limited this week most likely.

Don't worry Faeree! I've got ye covered! I'll be happy to help render eggies also.

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jan 27, 2016 11:22:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Yay! So happy to see it's eggy time again!

I noticed that you are still referencing the old tutorials in your "Tips and tricks and links and things" post. I know that Faeree created an updated egg rendering tutorial and also updated the Egg Design YPPedia page and the Art:Helpful art tutorials and resources page. It would be a lot clearer to point everyone to the Egg Design page as this page makes it clearer which tutorials will most likely work with the current version of the software, yet still references the older tutorials and links to the Helpful art tutorials and resources page. Just a helpful suggestion! If not, please add Faeree's tutorial to the current list.
Faeree's 3DS Max 2014 Tutorial with Photoshop

Updated! Please let me know if I missed anything.
[Jan 27, 2016 2:26:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for updating this Ms. Clotho!

Updated! Please let me know if I missed anything.

Nothing missing, however all of the following are redundant as they are referenced within the first two links, so they can be deleted from your post if you wish to simplify things:
-- Faeree's 3DS Max 2014 Tutorial with Photoshop
-- Silveransom's egg tutorial for Blender
-- Adrielle's egg tutorial for 3DS 2010
-- Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
-- Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated version here
-- Ponytailguy's tutorial for testing the designs in 3DS-MAX
-- Inghild's tutorial for testing your own egg designs using Povray
-- Greylady's Photoshop tutorial to reposition your skin image and "wrap" it by a given number of pixels

All we really need are:
-- YPPedia Egg Design page
-- YPPedia Helpful art tutorials and resources

[Jan 27, 2016 2:36:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Redundancies cleared! Holler if you spot anything else <3
[Jan 27, 2016 5:10:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Guys I need opinions:

I want to do some sort of abstract colourfull egg.
So far I got this:

It still doesn't really seem to.. strike me as nice.
Any.. suggestions?
Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[Jan 28, 2016 4:54:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paulpopper

@Bisca
To me, abstract colourful brings to mind kaleidoscope.
Which could be tricky to do, but there are some simpler kaleidoscope patterns that could be done.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. :p

Also, photobucket is down for maintenance right now and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't devastated.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by paulpopper at Jan 29, 2016 7:59:18 AM]
[Jan 29, 2016 7:58:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

In the rendering thread Greylady posted another website that can be used!

[Jan 29, 2016 10:36:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Yep! It's postimage.org No need to sign up, just drop and go. Working great so far. :)

[Jan 29, 2016 10:46:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paulpopper

Okay, thanks! :D

That website seems like a pretty nifty idea.
[Jan 29, 2016 11:53:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Halfbrain5

Yep! It's postimage.org No need to sign up, just drop and go. Working great so far. :)

I am still working on studying all the info before attempting my first egg but even if it turns out awful, this site will make up for it. bye bye photobucket (and those LOUD ads) for me
Doggbreath, Rogues Riding Sell me your ink! any Cerulean island 500/unit

Yer daily horoscope reads: Investing in insane dogs will result in good health

Ohiya says, "By the way how many curly toads does it take to make curly toad slippers
[Jan 29, 2016 2:10:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

CLOTHO!
How many eggs are usually chosen per year?
I've already seen sooooooo many nice eggs.
I wants them all D:

[Feb 21, 2016 10:05:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

CLOTHO!
How many eggs are usually chosen per year?

While there's no set number, in the past they've chosen around a dozen.

I've already seen sooooooo many nice eggs.
I wants them all D:

All I can say is I'm happy not to have to judge this one, too many good ones!
[Feb 21, 2016 11:44:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Squee! It's already so exciting seeing the entries. I can't stop ogling Dexla's underwater egg. :o
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Feb 21, 2016 2:43:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Squee! It's already so exciting seeing the entries. I can't stop ogling Dexla's underwater egg. :o

I read that as "Dexla's underwear egg". :D

I hope underwear eggs don't look like that plum-in-a-thong trophy...
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Feb 21, 2016 2:51:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I read that as "Dexla's underwear egg". :D

They're very similar, but the pattern is reversed.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Feb 21, 2016 3:09:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Haha, "Lacy" is posted right before "Underwearwater". :D

(I've decided to go ahead and be a six-year-old today.)

(Lacy is gorgeous, btw.)
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Feb 21, 2016 3:42:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Haha, "Lacy" is posted right before "Underwearwater". :D

(I've decided to go ahead and be a six-year-old today.)

(Lacy is gorgeous, btw.)

I see London, I see France, I see Dexla's... eggs.

And they're purty.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Feb 21, 2016 6:39:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomo10

What's the copyright on eggs that are tv show theme ? like will it be excluded if i make a character from scratch in photoshop ?
Acidd Emerald
[Feb 22, 2016 7:35:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

-- You should submit original work - this means that you have to create the design yourself. References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

I would avoid traveling down the path you're going - especially with characters from another gaming franchise, or TV show.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Feb 22, 2016 8:50:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomo10

Okay :( going to change the colors and make it a normal turtle :( thanks
Acidd Emerald
[Feb 22, 2016 9:59:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

A little over a day to whisk it! Get scrambling, mates!
[Feb 23, 2016 11:04:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Why is there no swashbuckling penguin egg? D:
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Feb 24, 2016 11:57:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomo10

When will winning eggs be announced?
Acidd Emerald
[Feb 25, 2016 5:13:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2016 - [In judging] Reply to this Post

When will winning eggs be announced?

I'm afraid I don't have a specific date, that depends on the arrrtists' schedule at this time. Hopefully soon!
[Feb 25, 2016 8:32:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 96   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates