• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2852 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Superlamb

Purging Pirates Reply to this Post

First off I know this will sound like a rant but I do have suggestions at the end I swear. When I initially started back in 2007 I believe that the initial allotted time before a pirate was deleted for inactivity was 6 months but now it has been lowered to down to 6 weeks. Sometime slightly over 6 weeks (my last log in was middle of August) I lost an alt, which I used as more of my main than my main, with the first order of the Jolly Rodger (almost the Second) to inactivity. OOO sends out emails prior to deletion but unfortunately for me the email provider I used also has a 6 week inactivity deletion. Now I know you are saying "Now Flu you could have always used dubs to save your account" and this is true however but I live in part of the country that doesn't sell them and I am not "allowed" to spend any money on virtual games anymore *cough cough*. Now this deletion in and of itself is annoying and I have come back form character deletions before, however this time I lost items that I find a huge cultural significance to the game and collectors within. That account was holding not one but two of six of the remaining known Royal Blue starfish on the Meridian Ocean on it and really those where the only two losses I really cared about on that account, not the familiars not the LE ships not the LE pets and not the 1.2-1.5 mil worth of items. As a collector I hate knowing for a fact those are now gone from the ocean forever and there is nothing able to be done to fix it.

But back to suggestion since some players players don't have the actual funds I propose an in game ability to purchase protection for accounts in a similar way that pirates from Green oceans can "purchase" subscription time with dubs. I also propose an extra layer of protection for accounts with Orders of the Jolly Rodger each year you get an extra two weeks to a month for each Jolly Rodger they have. These players are the core of your game, they have stuck around for atleast 1 year why not give them a little more leniency?
----------------------------------------
Theflu of Malachite SO of Heaven and Earth

I collect trinkets! Currently working on Handkerchiefs: 79 unique color combinations.
[Oct 15, 2014 11:36:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Re: Purging Pirates Reply to this Post

:(
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Oct 16, 2014 12:35:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Gifting a pirate sub time also keeps them from being purged.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Oct 16, 2014 1:33:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Gifting a pirate sub time also keeps them from being purged.

no it doesn't. only pay OOO real money does.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Oct 16, 2014 2:31:58 PM]
[Oct 16, 2014 2:31:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Are you 100% sure? b/c I went dorm for several years and my alts stayed. All I did was gift them.

Edit: I guess I will test this with a new account and 1 month of sub. It will take some time. Unless someone has a statement from an OM?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TexasBeesh at Oct 16, 2014 2:45:19 PM]
[Oct 16, 2014 2:40:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Are you 100% sure? b/c I went dorm for several years and my alts stayed. All I did was gift them.

You can never be 100% sure, OOO *could* change things. They could accidentally change things when they didn't mean to and create a bug. But, I'm really sure.

ok, now that I've had some time for forum searching, read this thread: Question about Deletion

Edit: testing this would be good, please do test it.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Oct 16, 2014 3:11:47 PM]
[Oct 16, 2014 3:01:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Edit: I guess I will test this with a new account and 1 month of sub. It will take some time. Unless someone has a statement from an OM?

They've stated it. I don't have the direct quote handy, though.

Having said that, they don't purge all accounts nonstop. My wife went a couple years without logging on, and still had her pirates when she returned. As near as I can tell, you're most likely to be purged if you've never had a subscription or purchased badges of any type. After that, you're next most likely to be purged if you don't have doubloons and/or an active badge. People who have had sub time gifted to them or have purchased multiple badges at some point are the least likely to be purged.

How much experience your character has may or may not have any sort of effect, as well. Basically, if there's a reason for them to think you'll return, they don't purge you anywhere near as fast as the guy who logged on twice for half an hour each time, and hasn't been seen in four months since.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Oct 16, 2014 3:47:13 PM]
[Oct 16, 2014 3:46:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

Well, I've never bought doubloons or sub time with real money but I was gifted time, and my account says Ex-Subscriber not Trial account. Not sure what would happen with my pirates in case of inactivity though.

+1 to being able to buy protection without real money, but with in-game currency. I think those who do it would really be willing to come back some day in case they leave or really care about the game.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fkjofsd at Oct 16, 2014 7:37:58 PM]
[Oct 16, 2014 7:36:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Well, I've never bought doubloons or sub time with real money but I was gifted time, and my account says Ex-Subscriber not Trial account. Not sure what would happen with my pirates in case of inactivity though.

Test it!

+1 to being able to buy protection without real money, but with in-game currency. I think those who do it would really be willing to come back some day in case they leave or really care about the game.

-1 to that. Three Rings operates on dollars, not doubloons or PoE. Scrape up a lousy three dollars and support the game that you play so often.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Oct 16, 2014 8:14:39 PM]
[Oct 16, 2014 8:14:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

Test it!

No. Not going to stop logging on for 6 weeks or more lol. It's not an alt account.

-1 to that. Three Rings operates on dollars, not doubloons or PoE. Scrape up a lousy three dollars and support the game that you play so often.

Some countries don't use dollars and therefore it's way more expensive.
And I don't agree with the "support" thing. You may not be a super regular player and still want to have your pirates for ever. Or you may feel the game/company doesn't deserve the support, or a hundred more reasons. It's not like you're donating anyway, you're just purchasing in-game currency.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's wrong or selfish if they purge all those who didn't use real money. It's their decision, but I think it wouldn't be bad or they wouldn't lose much if they didn't.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fkjofsd at Oct 16, 2014 9:02:45 PM]
[Oct 16, 2014 8:58:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Some countries don't use dollars and therefore it's way more expensive.

I don't like paying conversion fees for out-of-country purchases, either, but let's be serious: they're not "way more" expensive. And it's three bucks. Even with conversion fees added in, that's less than an hour's work, even for a 13-year-old doing extra chores around the house.

And I don't agree with the "support" thing. You may not be a super regular player and still want to have your pirates for ever.

Three scuppering dollars. One time. You can get your value out of that even if you're not a super regular player.

And, uh...

Now this deletion in and of itself is annoying and I have come back form character deletions before, however this time I lost items that I find a huge cultural significance to the game and collectors within. That account was holding not one but two of six of the remaining known Royal Blue starfish on the Meridian Ocean on it and really those where the only two losses I really cared about on that account, not the familiars not the LE ships not the LE pets and not the 1.2-1.5 mil worth of items.

Somehow, I'm sure you got at least three bucks of enjoyment out of this game. If you don't want to pony up real-life cash, well, that's your call. Plenty of people do it. But in the end... that was your call. Every time I see people showing up, shocked or outraged that their pirates were deleted after an extended absence, just like it said in those emails they got... amazes me.

Or worse, it reminds me of how my brothers acted whenever consequences of any of their boneheaded actions pop up. Consequences that most people would have foreseen long before they did whatever stupid thing they were planning.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Oct 16, 2014 10:28:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

I don't like paying conversion fees for out-of-country purchases, either, but let's be serious: they're not "way more" expensive.

Depends of the country.

I'm glad you don't have an aswer for the rest of my post, but there may be way more reasons like age, not having a credit card, not having access to any payment method... or some people just don't like or want to 'mix' real money with games. Especially those who play many different games.
As I said, I don't think it's bad to purge those who don't pay, but they wouldn't lose anything either if they didn't. That's why I second OP's idea, and cause YPP's playerbase is almost totally made of people who played for years and leave/come back constantly. They probably didn't care much about the game in the past but would engage if they had their pirates now.
[Oct 16, 2014 11:04:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Again, this has all been discussed in the thread: Question about Deletion

If your account says "trial account", you ARE subject to purging.

If your account says something else, such as "ex-subscriber", you *MAY* be subject to purging.

I wish there was a way to tell for sure if your account was protected, but I don't know of any. If there was a big warning on your account screen, it might encourage more people to pay up, which would be good for OOO.

Having said that, they don't purge all accounts nonstop. My wife went a couple years without logging on, and still had her pirates when she returned.

Again, as mentioned in the above linked thread, I think this has changed in the last few years as I have had accounts that used to stick around a 6-12 months w/o being used that are now being purged after only a couple of months. Unless you have tested it recent, don't count on the pirate purger giving you extended grace periods.
[Oct 17, 2014 5:16:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Yesterday I made an alt and gifted it 1 month. I did register it with an e-mail account. So I am testing to see. :)

When I was dorm for a few years, I kept paying my sub fee each year. It was on auto anyway. I had 2 other accounts all linked to the same e-mail. These other accounts were only gifted (and not for the years I was dorm). Maybe they were not purged b/c they were connected to a paid account. I have no idea!

I will let you all know if I get an e-mail saying my pirate will be deleted. It will be over 4 weeks however. My gift sub will need to run out first.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TexasBeesh at Oct 17, 2014 5:48:55 AM]
[Oct 17, 2014 5:43:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

This may be wrong and total moonshine, but I think you could, and maybe still can, have a pirate re-instated by pleading with OOO. I don't know if this was/is only for pirate that you have deleted or ones that were purged.

I see the OP was last active in August, so not that long ago, might be worth a try? Good luck :)
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Oct 21, 2014 2:32:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

This may be wrong and total moonshine, but I think you could, and maybe still can, have a pirate re-instated by pleading with OOO. I don't know if this was/is only for pirate that you have deleted or ones that were purged.

According to the Deleting pirates yppedia article:
The grace period for pirates that were purged due to their accounts being inactive is about three weeks.

So, since it has been more than three weekss since they were purged, I think it is doubtful that petitioning the OMs will help.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Oct 21, 2014 3:02:13 AM]
[Oct 21, 2014 3:01:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

According to the Deleting pirates yppedia article:
The grace period for pirates that were purged due to their accounts being inactive is about three weeks.

It's worth noting that the source for that snippet is a post from 2005 and is alas no longer accurate. Pirates that you delete yourself still have the same 10 day grace period but pirates that are purged due to inactivity are deleted immediately, the grace period being the week between the week between the warning email being sent out and when the account is purged.

-Pro
[Oct 22, 2014 7:40:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Thank you for the update Prometheus, I'll update the yppedia.
[Oct 22, 2014 7:49:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Today I got an e-mail saying that my test pirates sub time (gifted) will expire in one week. I will keep an eye out for a purge e-mail....if they even have them.
[Nov 8, 2014 1:22:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates