• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 89
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18910 times and has 88 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

Labor Help Reply to this Post

[size=18]Pirates, Accounts and Labor

Account/Pirate Labor:

Subscribed Oceans
Each account has a total of 24 hours to use per day. This labor is distributed evenly over all the pirates on an account:
1 pirate on an account -> 24 hours per pirate
2 pirates on an account -> 12 hours per pirate
3 pirates on an account -> 8 hours per pirate
Doubloon Oceans
Each pirate with a labor badge has 24 hours to use per day, so if you have 3 pirates on that account and each has a labor badge, your account can produce a total of 72 hours.

Jobs:
You need to be subscribed on subscriber oceans, or hold a labor badge on doubloon oceans, to take a job in a stall.
Each Pirate can hold up to 3 jobs at any time. The only ways to lose your job are:
- You quit the job yourself
- A manager fires you
- You don't log on for 10 consecutive days

Jobs and Labor at Shoppes with Puzzles:
You can provide labor by playing the puzzle directly, this is the only way for unsubscribed players on subscription oceans or pirates without labor badges on doubloon oceans to provide work.

Providing any offline labor for a job in a Puzzled Shoppe requires that you have actively done the labor puzzle recently. Providing Skilled labor for a shoppe requires that you have a standing of distinguished and providing expert labor requires a standing of renowned. You can check your current labor potential by Looking in Ye -> Employment -> Skills. Although there are no guarantees, the higher your rating the more likely you will be to provide skilled or expert labor.

There are warning notices that will appear in your chat, and sound (unless you have it disabled in options) when your ability to do labor expires. If this happens, or if your ability is dormant, simply head to the nearest shoppe to practice your skill!

Applying Pirate Labor to jobs:

Ideally, labor is used at higher paying jobs, more poe is good! This does not always happen, however. If a higher paying job has plenty of employees or a short queue it will not always have enough labor to do for all employees.

If you wish to prioritize where your labor goes, simply ensure your labor rate is higher at the higher priority shoppes. If your basic, skilled and expert labor rates of job A are higher than those of job B, then your labor will first go to job A and then job B if nothing is available from job A.

If you have problems with directing your labor to one place verses another, I'd suggest quitting all but the one job where you want your labor to go.

Puzzling, Foraging and applying labor:

When a pirate has a job, that job will "poll" the pirate to see if there is any available labor for it to use. If there is some available it will use it and pay for that labor, thus you end up with wages to pick up at the end of the day! Wages are available for pickup every 12 hours.

Labor is not always available to be used by shoppes, however, sometimes it is used up in advance by puzzling at a job or foraging. (Remember, practicing does NOT use up labor!) You may use up to 24 hours of labor in advance, no matter how many pirates you have on your account. When you use up your labor in advance, it is used up so will not be available when a shoppe "polls" you looking for available labor.

For example; If you have only one pirate on your account, after using all 24 of your advance hours, it will take 1 day (24 hours) to again have hours available for shoppes polling for labor. You may continue to use advance labor after some time, but you will only ever be able to have 24 advance hours used at any one time. (An account with 1 pirate will take 1 day to recover, 2 pirates 2 days and 3 pirates 3 days.)

[size=18]Shoppes and Labor

Shoppe Labor:

Shoppes have a limited number of labor hours which they can handle in a day. This number is listed in the Manage Employees -> Staff menu in the form of Labor per Hour. Simply multiply this number by 24 (hours) to see the maximum number of hours it can use in a day.

Shoppes are also limited in the number of expert and skilled labor they can produce. Stalls have these limits listed in their respective bazaars. Regular shoppes are approximately two times and upgraded shoppes are three times those of a deluxe stall.

Shoppes polling for labor:

When a shoppe needs labor to be done, it will poll its list of employees in a round robin fashion until it uses up its maximum labor for that hour or until it runs out of potential employees.

A shoppe will first try to fill expert labor, followed by skilled labor and finally basic labor. Expert labor will be applied if a person is able to provide expert labor (this is listed in the staff list for each person) and if the shoppe has not already used up all its allotted expert labor for that hour. If it cannot apply expert labor, it will move on to skilled labor and finally to basic labor.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Artemis at Jan 29, 2005 9:57:47 PM]
[Jan 29, 2005 9:57:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

Re: Labor Help Reply to this Post

Artemis wrote: 
If you wish to prioritize where your labor goes, simply ensure your labor rate is higher at the higher priority shoppes. If your basic, skilled and expert labor rates of job A are higher than those of job B, then your labor will first go to job A and then job B if nothing is available from job A.

Does this mean that if A pays 31/36/41, and B pays 30/35/40, that A will get all of the labor?

Even if, at one point, B needs expert, while A only needs skilled?

Shoppes polling for labor:

When a shoppe needs labor to be done, it will poll its list of employees in a round robin fashion until it uses up its maximum labor for that hour or until it runs out of potential employees.

So how do multiple shops poll the same employee? If shop 1 polls employee 1, and see's that they have time available, how does employee 1 determine if shop 2 will pay better?
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Jan 30, 2005 2:12:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

AquaDrake wrote: 
Does this mean that if A pays 31/36/41, and B pays 30/35/40, that A will get all of the labor?

Yes, assuming A needs the labor.

So how do multiple shops poll the same employee? If shop 1 polls employee 1, and see's that they have time available, how does employee 1 determine if shop 2 will pay better?

The exact labor process is very complex and known only to the devs. We only managed to figure out this much because we slipped a little something into Peghead's rum one night...
[Feb 16, 2005 5:38:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

Artemis wrote: 
AquaDrake wrote: 

Yes, assuming A needs the labor.

So I'll work for 31 at A's basic, and not at B's 40 expert?
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Feb 16, 2005 12:23:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post this:

(sorry if it's already been done; searchfu always weak)

It may be off a little, and it's not to scale....

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 17, 2005 10:28:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Enders_bean

What I'd like is if my one pirate can still have 24 hours of labor even if I have 2 alts. I don't let my alts work expressly to give my pirate more labor, but now I see this is useless. I also don't always sign on with my alts.

Could you just make it 24 hours of labor per day on each account?

Edit: He who realized this is more game design...
Cheers to those who are tired to being OK at everything, and exceptional at nothing.
[Feb 18, 2005 3:57:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

If you have two alts, each gets 8 hours of labor refresh a day, every three hours. The game does not bother to check which pirate NEEDS a labor refresh. If an alt does not have a job, that's 8 hours a day wasted.

(yea, bothers me also).
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 18, 2005 1:58:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Except for on a Dubloon server, where each pirate holding a labor badge gets 24 hours of labor per day - so it's possible to get 72 hours of labor per day per account if you buy 3 labor badges - one for each character.
[Feb 18, 2005 3:02:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

Here's a question I've not seen answered.

I have a shipbuilding stall. The only way I have found that I can see the progress of the work queue is to start a puzzle and quit out of it. Does that count as one of the hours for my account per day?

I ask because in the past 24 hours my one and only character has put in a grand total of 5 hours of work at his own shop. Only 5 hours are listed on the labor report. However this doesn't jive since I know there's work. I ordered a cutter, I check the queue via the above method so I also know the ship isn't even close to done. Neither of his other two jobs required his services. So where did the other 19 hours go? The only explination I can think of is that me constantly checking the work queue is eating up those hours.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by greyed at Feb 19, 2005 8:59:59 AM]
[Feb 19, 2005 8:59:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Yes. By quitting the puzzle, you waste the labor hour.
[Feb 19, 2005 9:10:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Is there or isn't there a 'grace period' at the beginning of the puzzle during which you can quit without penalty? I've heard conflicting answers.
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Feb 19, 2005 9:29:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

And just to be compeltely clear about it there is no other method of checking on the progress of the work queue at all?
[Feb 19, 2005 12:12:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Unless you're a manager, no.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 19, 2005 5:56:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

I am the owner, that count? :P
[Feb 19, 2005 6:43:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Yes, by "manager", people genererally refer to someone who is capable of running the stall.

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 19, 2005 6:51:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Ashebrethafe

lizthegrey wrote: 

Is a labor hour wasted when you quit out of a practice session? I often check the queue like this to see if there's any work for me to do, and quit if there isn't. If this is wasting my labor, I'd like to know about it!

I don't think it would, since I wouldn't use labor by playing the practice session, but I just want to be sure.
[Feb 19, 2005 9:57:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

No, this doesn't.

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 19, 2005 10:00:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
Yes, by "manager", people genererally refer to someone who is capable of running the stall.

Well, that was helpful.

Ok, I stated up front I'm the owner of the stall and didn't know of another way to check the queue.

Someone said there was provided that one was a manager.

I pointed out that I was the owner.

You come along and state that yes, people include owner as a manager when they say manager.

Yay, great. Still doesn't answer the outstanding question of there being another way to check the queue. Thus far I haven't found it. So would you like to swoop in with another unhelpful message or finally, after 4 rounds of going back and forth, spill the secret?

So far the closest thing I've found is "Manage Orders" which doesn't provide nearly the same information as checking the queue. Manage Orders tells me my shop has a cutter. Working the puzzle shows me the queue and shows me the cutter has 1/4th its basic labor done and 1/3rd it's expert labor done. Thus far I have found no other display which shows me how much labor on each object in the queue is done. So.

I am the owner.
That means I'm the manager.
Am I missing something?

Yeesh. Next up, how to pull teeth. :P
[Feb 20, 2005 4:25:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Owners are referred to as managers. An owner is a manager for the purpose of describing any feature. If there was a venn diagram here, it'd have a big circle with "managers" written on it, and a smaller circle inside it saying "owners." It's easier than saying "owners and managers" all the time, isn't it? :) He wasn't trying to be unhelpful, he just accidentally assumed you knew the jargon already.

Yay, great. Still doesn't answer the outstanding question of there being another way to check the queue. Thus far I haven't found it. So would you like to swoop in with another unhelpful message or finally, after 4 rounds of going back and forth, spill the secret?

So far the closest thing I've found is "Manage Orders" which doesn't provide nearly the same information as checking the queue. Manage Orders tells me my shop has a cutter. Working the puzzle shows me the queue and shows me the cutter has 1/4th its basic labor done and 1/3rd it's expert labor done. Thus far I have found no other display which shows me how much labor on each object in the queue is done. So.

You can check how much expert labour and skilled labour and so on you've gone through using the report tab under the manage labour option. If you're an employee, you can check how much of your own labour has been used, too, by clicking the shoppe button on the sundial menu and clicking "employment."

There is currently no way to see exactly how much labour has been used without entering the puzzle. You could post on game design if you liked.

In the future though, it would be nice if you were a little less defensive: Piplicus doesn't seem to be trying to be annoying or unhelpful on purpose, and the forums are a more pleasant place for everyone when we all get along.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by 54x at Feb 20, 2005 9:36:49 AM]
[Feb 20, 2005 9:36:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

54x wrote: 
You will get emails about the labour being done in your store/stall if you are the owner. (this means owner only, not managers)

I don't believe this happens any more - it's in the Labor Report under Manage Labor now.
[Feb 20, 2005 9:46:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
54x

lizthegrey wrote: 
54x wrote: 
You will get emails about the labour being done in your store/stall if you are the owner. (this means owner only, not managers)

I don't believe this happens any more - it's in the Labor Report under Manage Labor now.

Hah! Yes it is. Sorry about that, I had forgotten. I'll go edit it out for less confusingnessation.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 20, 2005 10:31:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
Ashebrethafe wrote: 
lizthegrey wrote: 

Is a labor hour wasted when you quit out of a practice session? I often check the queue like this to see if there's any work for me to do, and quit if there isn't. If this is wasting my labor, I'd like to know about it!

I don't think it would, since I wouldn't use labor by playing the practice session, but I just want to be sure.
No, this doesn't.

Okay, so all these do not use a labor hour?
- Being employed and work is in the queue, but quit out of puzzle in a few seconds
- Not being employed but having work (such that you would get paid), but quit early [edit] (in the same "few seconds")
- No work available

And this does use a labor hour: "quitting while playing the puzzle for a while [edit] while there's work to be done"?
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Edit 3 times, last edit by AySz88 at Feb 20, 2005 11:43:10 AM]
[Feb 20, 2005 11:43:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

AySz88 wrote: 
Okay, so all these do not use a labor hour?
- Being employed and work is in the queue, but quit out of puzzle in a few seconds

Not sure. Edit: reasonably sure it does use a labor hour

- Not being employed but having work (such that you would get paid), but quit early

Certainly uses a labor hour.

- No work available

Does not use a labor hour.

And this does use a labor hour: "quitting while playing the puzzle for a while"?

Correct.

Basically, from my understanding, any time you don't get the "practicing" message upon starting a craft puzzle, the labor hour has already been deducted from your account.

On the other hand, what I don't know is whether your standing is negatively affected by quitting at the very beginning of a puzzle.
[Feb 20, 2005 11:45:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

54x wrote: 
There is currently no way to see exactly how much labour has been used without entering the puzzle. You could post on game design if you liked.

No, not labor used. Labor done on the queue. There is no way. Thanks for confirming that.

In the future though, it would be nice if you were a little less defensive: Piplicus doesn't seem to be trying to be annoying or unhelpful on purpose, and the forums are a more pleasant place for everyone when we all get along.

I wasn't defensive. I was frustrated. I stated up front I was the owner and was clearly looking for a way to check without using up labor. He hinted at something and then goes on a run around. Frustration ensues. Surely that's understable? :P
[Feb 20, 2005 1:00:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

greyed wrote: 
54x wrote: 

No, not labor used. Labor done on the queue. There is no way. Thanks for confirming that.

Err... the difference being? I meant what you were talking about of course: the progress of the bars that show how much basic, skilled, and expert labour has been successfully applied to each product.

greyed wrote: 

I wasn't defensive. I was frustrated. I stated up front I was the owner and was clearly looking for a way to check without using up labor. He hinted at something and then goes on a run around. Frustration ensues. Surely that's understable? :P

It's understandable, but it creates tons of arguements. Unfortunately you can't expect people to read everything perfectly on a forum even if they already know the correct thread. Showing tolerance for other posters' mistakes means they'll likely return the favour, and then we all get along better :)

What you've got to keep in mind is that this forum is an environment for written communication in an age of oral communication. People will invariably read things and insert oral quirks into them that weren't intended by the author, and it can all get very confusing. So be ready to explain yourself. Possibly repeatedly ;)
from Midnight.
[Feb 21, 2005 3:29:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

54x wrote: 
greyed wrote: 
54x wrote: 

Err... the difference being?

Labor used implies the labor report for each individual. I know it is semantics but when one notices the slight differences the implications point to a different report. Lemme 'splain.

Each individual has labor available and can use it up on projects.

Each project has an amount of labor needed.

One can use what is available, one cannot use what is needed. By the same token a project can have labor done/completed but not used since the project didn't use the labor, the individual(s) did. :)
[Feb 21, 2005 7:14:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Okay, to clear myself up:

If you're a manager/owner, and you click "Manage Orders", you can guestimate how much of the orders are completed.

Remember, for work to begin on an item, all basic/skilled/expert labour on a previous order must be all filled up.

So if you check your stall and have 4 orders, all worked on, and you check the first 3, you can guestimate how complete the fourth order is by seeing what bars are full already.

Like a bad penny.
[Feb 22, 2005 2:50:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
Remember, for work to begin on an item, all basic/skilled/expert labour on a previous order must be all filled up.

Nope.

Direct puzzle labor will go to the first of the first three that can make best use of what you just did.

Offline labor will go to the first of the first 4 (correct this if I'm wrong, please) that can make best use of it.

It is very possible to fill up your expert and skilled on three orders of rum, and have nothing but empty basic work on all three of them, as your puzzlers won't puzzle for basic. Then, all your offline work puts expert and skilled into #4, and basic into #1. Of course, you then see #4 being full of expert/skilled at the same time that #1 finished, so #4 (now #3) still doesn't get puzzled.

Err, not that I've ever seen this in person :-)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 22, 2005 6:56:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Related question - manager type thing.

If all labour prices are set the same eg 30/30/30 is there any difference where the labour gets used for offline/non puzzle labour?
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[May 23, 2005 6:36:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Whichever shoppe polled that worker for labor first would get that hour.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[May 23, 2005 9:31:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates