• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2967 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Inschato

Save the crafting puzzle curve! Reply to this Post

This is a call to action, go play the crafting puzzles. Just do it once on the free days. Do it on all your alts. Do it bad on purpose, or try your hardest I don't particularly care. Going down to proficient when I get an Expert worthy Excellent is not fun.

[sarcasm]This is the real reason greenies don't stick around[/0.01%serious]

By the way, if you just repeatedly press X in distilling until it's finished you'll usually get a poor, and only rarely get a booched that doesn't provide labor.

Today's (April 27th) free crafting puzzle is: Shipwright

Tips for getting a fine on shipwright: Just make all the 3 piece goals you can, fill them, repeat until finished. You don't need to make any 4 or 5 pieces.
----------------------------------------
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Apr 27, 2013 12:22:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Re: Save the crafting puzzle curve! Reply to this Post

So... you're encouraging people to do poorly on crafting puzzles so your stats will go up? Or am I missing something...
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Apr 27, 2013 1:11:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Well, yes. But I wasn't really thinking of it selfishly, I don't owe a shoppe or stall so increased labor output doesn't matter to me. Anyway, I'm not explicitly saying you should do poorly, just that it's usually faster.
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Apr 27, 2013 2:07:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I agree - when you're doing Excellent/Expert, and you go from Distinguished to Proficient, the best explanation is that there are only a handful of people active in the puzzle... it may sound selfish, but the more people active in a puzzle, the smoother the scoring curve - which is good for everyone... puzzlers and shopkeepers alike.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Apr 27, 2013 6:49:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
wrb03

For information purposes I shipwright a few times a week. I get mostly excellents and maybe about 1/4 incred. I also won a contest for best incred out of maybe 20 or so increds. I am still only proficient or so. I agree that there is an issue. I am not sure about the details.
- Jublain (Cerulean)
- Captain of Knot Working
[Apr 27, 2013 7:31:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Well, I'm not quite sure how the SW curve is broken. Back when I was getting 3/4 excellents and 1/4 incredibles I was renowned. As the frequency of my incredibles has risen, I'm now legendary. This seems very consistent with the piracy puzzles.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Apr 27, 2013 10:02:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Somehow I don't think you want me to SW on all my alts...
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Apr 27, 2013 10:16:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I guess part of the questions is, how many of the scoring curves are really broken, and on which oceans? Going down with an excellent is a well-documented feature of the way scoring in YPP works. For me, the curve isn't broken unless it's one that is virtually impossible for someone to work their way up to skilled labor without making a study of the puzzle, or slavishly following the YouTube "how to" videos.

I haven't followed the labor trends extensively, but as far as I can tell, the only one I would consider broken on Emerald is distilling. Which is also extremely well documented, with regular suggestions on how to unbreak it that have, thus far, been totally ignored (to the point where most of us stopped trying.)
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 27, 2013 12:39:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Well, I don't know what happened to SW on Cerulean... it started on Cobalt before the merge. Using my shipwright alt, I routinely did Excellent and Incredible, and could maintain Renowned/G-M consistently puzzling about a dozen boards a week. About three years ago or so, the same puzzle performance had me going back and forth between Master and Renowned (Skilled to Expert), so I started puzzling more often thinking that would help - still doing Excellent and Incredible. Within a couple months, that alt was a straight Master, and has declined to Respected since... still doing Excellent and Incredible when actually puzzling.

That tells me one of two things happened: either all the people leaving the game were below Respected in shipwrighting (highly unlikely, even though the smaller number of players on the ocean will create fewer people in the upper half of the standings - some of the ones who left must have statistically been Expert shipwrighters); or they adjusted the scoring. I seem to remember a thread in Game Design about the same time discussing issues with SW scoring, and have wondered ever since if that thread or others like it sparked an adjustment in the coding that has since swung the pendulum the other way.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Apr 27, 2013 2:28:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

You're probably suffering from the type of statistical problems Ice has with scoring. The number of people playing labour puzzles on the blue ocean must be tiny. I don't know how granular the scoring system for SW is, but it's possible that there's a ridiculous number of ties in the few scores that are recorded, as most of them will be alts of the few people who are good at it (like in distilling on all oceans), and ties across a ranking boundary go down (like the 'no ults' problem with bnav).

On Mala/Viridian, the only one that's broken in my opinion is distilling, too. Apoth might be too; I don't play that enough (can't be bothered with a 15 minute puzzle session for the amount of pay you get back!) to be sure.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 28, 2013 4:40:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

On Mala/Viridian, the only one that's broken in my opinion is distilling, too. Apoth might be too; I don't play that enough (can't be bothered with a 15 minute puzzle session for the amount of pay you get back!) to be sure.

Apothecary isn't broken: it's more of a patience puzzle than anything. I typically run about 45 minutes for my sessions, as I try yet another way to (finally) get that red to cross over, meet up with yellow, and get to the one bottle over there, while still keeping the other three-to-four already-done paths.

Distilling is broken because there's non-stop need for expert labor, which makes alts both necessary and lucrative. Remove the need for the non-stop expert labor, and the alts would dry up.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 28, 2013 5:31:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OdensVrede

i agree with the poster. its anoyying to drop standing after good results.

went down from master SW when i did 3 excelent (expert labor) in a row
Lucipurr on emerald
[May 10, 2013 8:23:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates