• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 69
Posts: 69   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 29768 times and has 68 replies Next Thread
Maybell2

Re: Travidar's Ultimate Blacksmithing - YPPedia Guide *PLEASE REVIEW!* Reply to this Post

I read this and tried some to the tips you said on it. I did find some of it confusing because it takes me a while to pick up stuff, but after reading it I did find blacksmithing a bit easier. :)
----------------------------------------
SO of New Italy

Member of Break Out

~Hunter~

[Jan 19, 2010 11:59:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dzzo

Re: Travidar's Ultimate Blacksmithing - YPPedia Guide *PLEASE REVIEW!* Reply to this Post

Wow, that's propably the best and most comprehensive blacksmithing guide ive seen. I read and studied, and i was able to really improve my strategy by using the catigorizations (sp?) you used.
Thanks, Dzzo
(Dzzo's BlackSmithing Stall, Aimuari Island, Hunter Ocean)
[Mar 12, 2010 10:25:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arginator

This guide actually worked, I got my incredible blacksmithing trophy and now I get excellents and incredibles with some of your strategies.
Argie on the Viridian Ocean
[Jul 16, 2010 12:37:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Factor93

Personally, I don't think using alternating sets helps people at all to be honest as I still score excellents/increds without it, the other tips, however, helped me a lot.

Thanks Travidar!
Factors on every ocean - Active on Obsidian

[Nov 6, 2012 2:23:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grobanite

Thank you! I'm an aspiring blacksmither. I had learned a lot of the same tips as you when working my way through the puzzle. I'm now at Master and seem to get better the more I play.
I found this guide fairly helpful, especially your tip about the rum jugs. I never planned where I put those. So I'm excited to try that.
However, I don't understand what you mean by "outlet" pieces. You use the word "outlet" in your description of them, so that didnt help me all that much. Could you maybe describe what it is better?
The descriptions for dead and risk pieces were good though.
Also, could you maybe explain more what you mean by "path to the rum jug"? Since you kinda say you're not planning out all your moves until the endgame, I don't quite understand how you can plan for your rum jug. But this may also be because I havent played with getting it in the corner yet.
[Apr 16, 2013 4:49:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vorky

He describes the outlet piece later on.
Basically a square where if you hit it only has one square you can go to afterwards.
[Apr 16, 2013 6:41:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

I like to take a screenshot of my board, open it through paint, and click and write a number as to when I will strike each piece. This typically happens at the endgame, but it's really helpful for finding the best avenues of work.

I also like to work backwards. See what pieces can possibly hit the rumjug, and keep going backwards from there to see what's the best piece to strike first.
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Apr 16, 2013 7:00:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JakSparow117

Personally, I don't think using alternating sets helps people at all to be honest as I still score excellents/increds without it, the other tips, however, helped me a lot.

Thanks Travidar!

Boardhopping is a poorly kept secret of great blacksmiths. It won't help you much if you can't masterpiece boards a high % of the time, but knowing how to do it quickly will improve anyone's game. Since the only theoretical limit on your board-hopping search for a perfect starting board is your patience, unless you are fully exploiting boardhopping, you have room to improve by raising your threshold of which boards you will accept.

It is also pretty important for competitions. You don't want to waste a bunch of time on boards that already suck not to mention that a good amount of starting boards don't even have complete solutions (ones where you can clear all the orange without dipping into the dark gray).

I'm pretty highly rated in blacksmithing, so I know what I'm talking about. I might create my own guide some day, but for now, Travidar's + Tzz's is what you have to work with, unless you know a good amount of about discrete-mathematics/graph-theory, and they recommend looking for alterating sets.
Mackso-Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JakSparow117 at Apr 16, 2013 9:36:34 PM]
[Apr 16, 2013 9:36:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leverh7

Awesome work here. I know I'm years late and this has probably been mentioned previously in this thread, but I didn't see it in the main article. I like to generally knock out the less versatile pieces first (e.g. when deciding between a queen and bishop or a 4 and 1) knock out the less versatile piece first. This seems to work out well for me. I value this over creating combos as you mentioned it seems the pieces left essentially set your score. I'm a little frustrated atm as I produce expert labor ~50% of the time while my auto labor only allows me to produce skilled labor thus not allowing me to order items with expert labor. This is especially frustrating in my distillery as people only order rum and other expert labor products essentially handcuffing my production.
[Feb 6, 2019 10:16:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 69   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates