• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5927 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
shakhan34

YPP Dyinh? Reply to this Post

Is YPP Dying?
[Dec 11, 2012 9:38:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Re: YPP Dyinh? Reply to this Post

That is up for every pirate to decide by his/herself. Let's just say it is slowly declining :)
----------------------------------------
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Dec 12, 2012 4:12:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

There's been some talk...

Here

and

Here

and a few other places.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Dec 12, 2012 4:17:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

The numbers of players are indeed seemingly going down, however it's a rare day that I am stuck on land if I don't want to be. There's lots of activity out there - and if there isn't, MAKE SOME!
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Dec 12, 2012 6:38:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MsWyle

I have a similar question. I played on Hunter a number of years ago, and I was about 13, too young to really dive into the game but I still had a lot of fun. I remember so much activity, so many things going on all the time, most of them over my head. I've been playing again for the last few days on Meridian, and while I still enjoy the puzzle aspect the atmosphere feels completely different. Stagnant, almost. Is YPP even exciting anymore?
[Dec 13, 2012 11:29:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

I have a similar question. I played on Hunter a number of years ago, and I was about 13, too young to really dive into the game but I still had a lot of fun. I remember so much activity, so many things going on all the time, most of them over my head. I've been playing again for the last few days on Meridian, and while I still enjoy the puzzle aspect the atmosphere feels completely different. Stagnant, almost. Is YPP even exciting anymore?

I personally find this game exciting... Well exciting enough to steal most of my night...

It's up to you mate... I cannot decide for you.
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Dec 14, 2012 5:43:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avastme1

05:14 Ocean Master? (diff | hist) . . (+1) . . Clotho (Talk | contribs) (Lelantos has retired)

Maybe this is showing some thought?

Regards, Kris.

The server will now reboot.
Ye crew member Avastme logged off
Avastme starts thinking how I'm still foraging then

Avastme on the Meridian ocean.

Is the YPPedia missing information or requires updating? Send me a message.
[Dec 14, 2012 9:44:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Ribero1966

05:14 Ocean Master? (diff | hist) . . (+1) . . Clotho (Talk | contribs) (Lelantos has retired)

Apologies, I don't understand what this means. Could you further explain it please?
Ribero-East on Emerald
Occasionally Ribearo on Meridian
[Dec 14, 2012 6:02:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Ocean_Master#Alas.2C_Retired_Mates

Lelantos has retired. ):
Anchovia
[Dec 14, 2012 6:44:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Everything dies. Next question.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Dec 15, 2012 12:34:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyand

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com

On that link I see a tab with Shanghaied Mates and then a list of some OM names, what does being "shanghaied" means. Couldn't find anywhere a translation for that word (silly me)
[Dec 16, 2012 7:54:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com

On that link I see a tab with Shanghaied Mates and then a list of some OM names, what does being "shanghaied" means. Couldn't find anywhere a translation for that word (silly me)

Shanghai is a term originally for people who are, basically, kidnapped or coerced into working on a ship. Very similar to press-ganging. The meaning has changed somewhat over the years to generally mean grabbing someone and taking him somewhere else. In this case in specific, it refers to people who had worked on YPP who now work on something else OOO is doing.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 16, 2012 9:28:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillati

I used to play on Midnight a very long time ago. Really enjoyed the game.

I'm trying out the game again out of nostalgia and out of the fact it's still a good game. I...really don't like the doubloon oceans. But those are the only ones where people are online, so that's what I use.

I wouldn't have known that there were oceans with players online had I not emailed support and got a link to the server status screen. Before that I was wandering around the dead subscription ocean, assuming the entire game was like that now.

It is kinda sad. I suppose all things end and this is no exception, but I do miss the winning-via-skill feeling that I got around 8 years ago when I played before. The doubloon oceans leave a bitter taste in my mouth which I admit is somewhat illogical. Micro-transactions are probably where the money is so it makes sense to use them and promote them, but I'm just not keen on essentially having the option of paying more real money in order to advance.

Also, even on the doubloon oceans I have trouble filling a sloop for a pillage, which seems odd.

Anyway, sorry for the rant from an old hand. All things die, all things change. Just don't know any other option for a game offering the same kind of feel, though. =/
[Feb 2, 2013 4:09:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

I don't know your pirate name, or when you play (timezone) but I think you may have hit midnight (ok, cerulean, now) at a bad time of day. As I said in my earlier post, it's pretty rare that I'm stuck on land if I don't want to be.

Feel free to come join us any Monday at noon game time, and we'll be happy to help you get included in whatever we're up to!
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Feb 2, 2013 5:00:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I also have to admit... even though there are some times when the only thing on the board on Cerulean is a forage offer and an automated tournament, I actually believe those are rarer now than they were just two years ago. I'm on usually between 14:00 and 18:00 Pirate Time, and I rarely see the NB without one or two pillages and a SMH. I am also noticing that more players are hosting tournaments, and some old faces are reappearing on the blue oceans.

In spite of OOO's efforts to kill us off by strangling the greenie feed to the blue side, we will not go gently into that good night.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Feb 2, 2013 6:44:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Sverdrup

Pizzahutpete wrote: 
In spite of OOO's efforts to kill us off by strangling the greenie feed to the blue side, we will not go gently into that good night.

Pete, we both started playing on the same ocean, Cobalt, about 6-7 years ago when Tigerleaf was first colonized. Those were times when pillaging was the main activity and that's when and where we made our names, crews, and trained several generations of pirates.

I left Cobalt 2.5 years ago when greenies still spawned on subscriber oceans with crew and many hearties, leaving 4-5 years of accumulated wealth and fleets behind to start from scratch on a dubloon ocean WITHOUT EVER BUYING any dubs. Sure, I am not rich and famous, but the pillaging and training and recruiting game is still playable. Sure, I can not compete in blockades that pay 4000 poe/seg, but there is lots one can do on the blockade board with less given good timing, targeting, and flexibility.

There is only one past that we all tend to glorify, there is only one present that we are grumpy about, but there are always infinite future possibilities. Admittedly, some are more likely than others, but I foresee the dubloon oceans to be vibrant for another 2 years as Cobalt perhaps was 4-5 years ago.

In a good, well trained, diverse crew on a dubloon ocean, it is no problem to fill a sloop within minutes at any time of the day. The trick is to find those well run crews where piratey personalities and goals match. They exist ... oh, and use the /mute, there are indeed a rather large number of very imature mates on Meridian, and they are not always the kids we think there are ...
Sverdrup, CPTN of Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Meridian
[Feb 3, 2013 8:48:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stroma1

yes
forum banned
"I do not wish to give the mistaken impression that this is open for discussion." - prometheus
Stroma found Gold Nuggets while foraging but couldn't fit it in the vessel's hold!
[Feb 5, 2013 6:21:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lordchicken9

It was never alive, so it will never die.
Chickenlord on Emerald

Helen Keller once said: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.
How would she know XD?

Captinary did the avatar :o with my recommandations on the
[Feb 7, 2013 4:20:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates