• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1865 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

Next Release Reply to this Post

We just shipped out another mini-release, mostly fixes etc. Release notes:

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/news/releases/

Note that only Senior Officers and Captains can remove maps from ships, now.

Unfortunately yesterday's update mayhem left the incremental updates broken, so everyone will have to pull down the incredible 3.1m of code. This problem seems to extend to the media for some people; problem noted and hopefully it won't happen next time.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Cleaver at Sep 25, 2003 6:46:56 AM]
[Sep 25, 2003 6:46:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
OniPanda

Re: Next Release Reply to this Post

When I loaded it up, first it downloaded 180k for the client, said it was unable to launch, so I did it again, and it downloaded the whole client.
Then when the client launched, it downloaded a small bit of media, said it was unable to initialize, and when I tried to send a bug report, that didn't work either. Now it's downloading 130 minutes of media.

Oh my poor modem :/
[Sep 25, 2003 7:11:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raerlynn

Well it tried to download the small first, failed, then tried to download the large one. My connection being what it is, this took but a moment. Then it failed to download the media. After another re-try, I got to download the media.
My page about me.

I suffer fools all day long as part of my job. I make fools suffer me as part of my fun.
[Sep 25, 2003 7:19:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Raerlynn99    Raerlynn65 [Link]  Go to top 
mhtbfw

I have actually downloaded and installed the Yohoho! client, about 30 megabytes of it , again and again whenever there's a new patch release( ummm about 5 times now,lol) and matter of factly, a few of my crewmates had the same problem. I'm sure we are not the only ones and hope this bit will be sort out. :D NEOMIC
"It's not the sword(stick), it's how you weild it"
[Sep 25, 2003 7:22:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mhtbfw

Just done Downloading the 3.1 mB release and behold, yes, 6 times now lol, downloading the whole thang..~~
"It's not the sword(stick), it's how you weild it"
[Sep 25, 2003 7:28:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

The Release Notes wrote: 
Support has been added for logging your chat to a file. Check out the Chat tab of the Options panel to try it out.

YAR! HUGE thanks to whoever got around to putting this in. One problem though - It doesn't appear to have any formatting - the file reads as one huge line, which makes the log unbelievably hard to read. :-/
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Sep 25, 2003 7:33:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mnemosyne
OceanMaster

If you are using Windows, save the file as a document in WordPad. (.RTF and .DOC are working)

The .TXT files saved under Notepad do seem to have a bad format problem.
[Sep 25, 2003 7:49:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathprog23

Aarrgh! The irratation of you lot getting to test the new features whilst
some of us (like err, me) have to wait for crazy 2-hour downloads is almost enough to make me cry :(

Best be pillagin' now, cause when I get back on I'm going to pillage 'till
the scurvy brigands be too scared to sail the seas ever again!
"I wanna be like the ocean, no talkin' an' all action." Jane's Addiction, Ocean Size
[Sep 25, 2003 8:00:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.last.fm/user/deathprog23/ [Link]  Go to top 
baseballtwin

Yeah, right now I'm downloading media thats gonna take about 150 minutes :S .
[Sep 25, 2003 8:36:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Enough reports Reply to this Post

Okay thanks folks, we gather that it was a widespread problem. Hopefully it won't happen again on the next release.
[Sep 25, 2003 8:53:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I would just like to register my total protest at the maps feature. I know already that this is going to drive me crazy. Our officers have all their own boats, and all their own sets of maps. They keep whatever maps they pillage, and if they have doubles they place em on the table of an unused boat of ours and take any there they don't have. Now, everytime I'm on I'm going to have to go to their boat and trade them their map. Any maps they want from the dupe table.. I am going to have to be there to give them whichever. Couldn't you have made this an option for the captain? The crews that don't trust their officers could put this option on; but for my crew where its more a huge pain in the booty than anything else, we could leave it off.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 25, 2003 9:17:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DarstTLon

Lizzie,

I know I speak for most of the Lubbers when I say we truly welcome this patch... the troubles we have had with maps going missing has been a major headache.

I guess if the ships logs were bought in then maybe we could expand those who could move them to the officers as well - but as yet I have not found anyone complaining too loudly within our ranks about the change.
May yer cup o' Rum ne'er be empty,

Cheers,

[size=18]Darst T'Lon

Darst, Snr Officer and First Mate of the Falcons o' the Seas
[Sep 25, 2003 10:25:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Like I said somewhere else, I understand the need for it for other crews, but for our crew this patch is a headache, lol.. Except we've got around it by making all our active officers S.O.s. :)
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 25, 2003 10:27:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Lizzie wrote: 
I would just like to register my total protest at the maps feature. I know already that this is going to drive me crazy. Our officers have all their own boats, and all their own sets of maps. They keep whatever maps they pillage, and if they have doubles they place em on the table of an unused boat of ours and take any there they don't have. Now, everytime I'm on I'm going to have to go to their boat and trade them their map. Any maps they want from the dupe table.. I am going to have to be there to give them whichever. Couldn't you have made this an option for the captain? The crews that don't trust their officers could put this option on; but for my crew where its more a huge pain in the booty than anything else, we could leave it off.

Agreed lass.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Sep 25, 2003 10:55:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

I'm with Greasy on this one... at first it SOUNDED like a good idea... no more maps missing!

This is the problem: I have a spring to hephaestus map on me, and I'm currently the only one on the crew with one. I'm not going to leave this on a ship because I don't want to be stuck having to use the 1 ship out of the 39 that has my map. Suppose another officer (not senior) pillages a spring to hephaesteus map. They can't remove it from the table themselves, so now "their" map is stuck on the table and they have to either pillage on that same ship or plead for a SO or Captain to remove it which if you have 2-3 smaller ships pillaging w/ officers and they get 2-3 maps per trip its going to be a headache for the SO/Captain to help them remove it for their collection. So that would mean we'd have to switch so we have 1 of each map on each ship, which would mean now we have to find 1) empty ships and 2) ships with maps.

So...

your older crew members don't want to part with their maps and place them on a ship and new members can't collect the maps they pillage.

STALEMATE
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Sep 25, 2003 10:57:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

Aye, I'm sure it'll get annoying later on. Maybe if there was a way that officers could take maps off of their own ships? Seems like their maps will be the only ones on the table then, anyway...
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Sep 25, 2003 11:49:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
Raerlynn

Was the AI diffficulty tampered with? They're pulling of insane moves now, that crush one player in no less than one turn.
My page about me.

I suffer fools all day long as part of my job. I make fools suffer me as part of my fun.
[Sep 25, 2003 12:20:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Raerlynn99    Raerlynn65 [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

I agree with Lizzie as well, we don't officer someone if we don't trust them. If it has to be all or nothing, let it be nothing please.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Sep 25, 2003 12:48:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Mortario

Maps Reply to this Post

Perhaps make it such that the maps automatically end up in the pockets of the highest ranking person on the ship?
Diven
Lord of the Flag Silver Dawn
Strategist of The Yellow Turbans
[Sep 25, 2003 1:25:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Re: Maps Reply to this Post

Mortario wrote: 
Perhaps make it such that the maps automatically end up in the pockets of the highest ranking person on the ship?

Not only does that not help the cause if that person is an officer, it also seems to encourage stealing, plus in a large crew the Captain can usually be on board a ship he does not own which would get confusing.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Sep 25, 2003 1:28:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I agree with Lizzie as well, we don't officer someone if we don't trust them.

Well, the problem arises when someone betrays that trust. We have a set of officers that was working just fine - now one of 'em isn't restocking ships. I have no idea who it is (well, ok, I have some idea, but no proof). If they were stealing maps, we'd really be in trouble. As it is, we've had to institute a public/private ship policy

That being said, I can see how this change will cause problems. We're a smallish crew, and I anticipate it causing problems for us - I can only imagine the troubles that the larger crews will have.

Trust thy neighbor just doesn't seem to be the solution to every problem.

Captain atteSmythe, Black Opal

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

For the PPA, it's a mighty good aditon because someone was stealing maps, but from a personal perspective, it ain't good. For example: If I pillage a map to a new arch and then decide to leave the crew, me maps stuck with them. and that map IS extremly valueable. I strongly disaprove with this idea. It should be made possible for the captain to shose which Officers and SO's can take maps from the nav table.

On the other hand, a (perhaps) simpler solution would be to give the pillaged map to the Commanding Officer. That way, the officer can chose if he wants to put the map to the nav table. It could use the same sistem for decideing who's the CO as it uses when ye type /who. Sorry if me English is not so good, but I hope ye undersatnd me :P
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Sep 25, 2003 6:28:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stinktoe

Until there's a ships log showing every transaction in and out of the ship, I'm for the new feature.
Don Quevegas
Officer of the Yo-Ho Yo-Yos
Flag Looterati
[Sep 26, 2003 12:54:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I for one don't much care for this feature, I completely trust all of my officers and they all freely trade their maps around so that everyone can get all the maps they need. I don't want to make them S.O. (and they don't want to be S.O.s as it means a pay cut) so now myself and my S.O. are going to have to go around to each boat and take off all the extras. . . its just extra work for me.
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Sep 26, 2003 12:59:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

I'd support the idea that map security would be a useful toggle to have on a crew-by-crew basis.

I do, however, applaud this change, given the sheer amount of map theft that has occurred.

Personally, I favor a crew organizational scheme where maps pillaged on crew-owned ships stay on the map table, to be distributed at the Captain's discretion. So the change makes this convenient.
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Sep 26, 2003 2:11:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
VenomByte

ARRRGH!

Downloading Media.
142 minutes remaining.

I wouldn't mind, but my modem is decidedly dodgy, and the chances of going two hours straight without losing the connection at some point are slim at best. It took me three attempts to do it last time...

Which brings me to a little question/plea...

Is there any chance you could please set up some form of manual media download, so that I and other in my position can use download accelerating/resuming software?

The prospect of another nailbiting two hours of praying to the god of HSP56 modems is more than I have the courage to face right now :)
[Sep 26, 2003 3:17:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

VenomByte wrote: 

Is there any chance you could please set up some form of manual media download, so that I and other in my position can use download accelerating/resuming software?

Hear Hear!
[Sep 26, 2003 3:53:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I know that some sites don't allow accelerators like that because they are notorius bandwidth hogs. theunderdogs.org for example ban you from the site if you use them. I'm not sure how bandwidth is over at three rings, but I'd wonder that if they were all in favour of it, since are clearly in favour of users on dial-up, that we'd have it as an option already.
[Sep 26, 2003 4:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

one of the other games I play has a file-by-file system for downloading updates so that it checks the version of every file on startup so that if you get disconnected it will just search and give you the files that still need updating. Just another possible solution.
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Sep 26, 2003 4:14:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

BitTorrent.
Quartermaster Bates of Mog's Marauders
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 26, 2003 6:20:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates