Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1002 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
kasukas

Blockade histories Reply to this Post

Recently there was a edit made to Meridian blockade history page that changed the redirects of a flag name, Legacy of Love to Legacy of Laughter. I thought that redirect pages existed for this, so you don't need to edit the flag name in older records every time it changes. Plus in my opinion it's historical information that a flag had a different name in the past.

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Meridian_blockade_history
----------------------------------------
Inessa on Meridian and Emerald

[Dec 16, 2012 9:55:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avastme1

Re: Blockade histories Reply to this Post

Recently there was a edit made to Meridian blockade history page that changed the redirects of a flag name, Legacy of Love to Legacy of Laughter. I thought that redirect pages existed for this, so you don't need to edit the flag name in older records every time it changes. Plus in my opinion it's historical information that a flag had a different name in the past.

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Meridian_blockade_history

I believe that edit was made by me.

This is because the flag got renamed and I changed all the pages that linked to the old one just to remove a redirect. They don't really have much use other than to redirect, so if links go to the new page, there's not really a point in a redirect.

Regards, Kris.

P.S. If historical accuracy wanted to be noted, the blockade history ingame (if you viewed is in the last 7 days blockades and a flag renamed after it would appear under the new name)

The server will now reboot.
Ye crew member Avastme logged off
Avastme starts thinking how I'm still foraging then

Avastme on the Meridian ocean.

Is the YPPedia missing information or requires updating? Send me a message.
[Dec 16, 2012 2:55:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://BetaDev.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Blockade records register historical encounters. The names of the contenders should stay with the name that the flag had at the time of blockade, regardless if the name changed later on. Let's change that to the original name to keep historical accuracy please.
[Dec 16, 2012 8:21:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Again I would suggest that people who want to "fix" redirects first read the following treatise on Wikipedia. Do not "fix" links to redirects that are not broken

I believe it is informative and useful for our work on YPPedia.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Dec 17, 2012 7:02:58 PM]
[Dec 17, 2012 7:02:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

There's a pretty large precedent for not changing an entire history just because a flag that shows up frequently on that list gets renamed. If an island-owning flag gets renamed, a note is added in the blockade history stating such.

I've undone what I believe is the edit mentioned in the first post.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Dec 22, 2012 6:28:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]