• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12335 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
coolkid989

Screen Size Reply to this Post

I am using a Mac 15' and I changed my screen resolution on ypp to way bigger than my screen on accident. It is so big that even with my screen on the farthest out setting I still can't reach the options button to change it. I'm a relative novice when it comes to running/working a mac, since I just got one. Can someone help me? Thanks.
[Dec 2, 2012 2:58:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Re: Screen Size Reply to this Post

The easiest solution would be to reinstall YPP.
----------------------------------------
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Dec 2, 2012 3:09:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
coolkid989

The easiest solution would be to reinstall YPP.

Tried..no luck.
[Dec 2, 2012 3:19:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

OK, this is a little tricky because you are not on Windows, for which we have a .REG file that you download and click to restore default settings. This will involve a dive into your filesystem to find your Java user preferences, and a manual edit of the file found there.

First, make sure to log out and exit completely out of the client.

The preferences are stored in Mac OS X under ~/Library/Preferences

From there you will need to look around and determine the structure, I don't know what it is exactly; here on Linux my client prefs are under rsrc/config/yohoho/client

In that directory there is a file called prefs.xml. I assume it is the same on Mac OS X. This is an XML format file, which can be edited with any suitable text editor.

Search for: key="display_height" and you will find the resolution settings. The other one is display_width. Set them to sane values. 600 and 800 are the defaults. Save the text file.

Now you can restart your client, and you should find a window in the new size if you did it correctly. Good luck.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Dec 2, 2012 4:12:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Thank you Lj for your post. I did not realize that a simple uninstall would not work. However, with the information you posted, I have the solution for the mac.

I tried to make it very easy to follow.

1. Click Finder
2. Click "Go" in the taskbar and then "Go to Folder" (Shift+Command+G)
3. Go to: ~/Library/Preferences
4. You are looking for plist file named "rsrc.config.yohoho" An easy way to find this is to search: "rsrc.config.yohoho" and click "Preferances" instead of "This Mac"
5. I recommend highly to open it with "xcode" as it is very easy to use when opened with it. You can download "xcode" from the Mac App Store for free.
6. Expand "Root". Expand /rsrc/config/yohoho/. Expand client/
7. You will see a lot of info, but don't get discouraged! Click "Command+F" and search "display"
8. Once you see "display_height", click "Done" in the search field.
9. Change the value of "display_height" to 600. (Double click the number that you see and you should be able to edit it)
10. Do "Command+F" again and search for display again. Click the next arrow to find "display_height"
11. Change "display_height" to 800. (Double click the number that you see and you should be able to edit it)
12. Save the file and exit out of it.
13. Open YPP!
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Dec 2, 2012 5:53:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
coolkid989

Fixed! Thanks!!!
[Dec 2, 2012 8:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

In 2017, I am continuing to have this problem. (Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4).

I'd love to try the Obsidian client, but even at the very highest resolution my laptop supports, I can only see 1/4 of the screen (and not the part with the options button)

I have tried the instructions above, editing
~Library//Preferences/rsrc.config.yohoho.plist

to specify a resolution of 1024x640, then saving the file and restarting my client. Unfortunately, both the regular and Obsidian clients do not reflect the setting change- the client is just as unusable as ever, making it hard to log on. Can anyone offer suggestions?
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Jul 9, 2017 11:23:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

I had a similar problem and YPP support sent me a link to download a file to reset my registry so puzzle pirates defaulted to the smallest resolution (800 * 600?).

It worked though now a given resolution is a different size window on obsidian and classic (I have posted that here)

Sorry I can't find the link but I am sure the OMs can sort you out.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Jul 10, 2017 5:13:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I had a similar problem and YPP support sent me a link to download a file to reset my registry so puzzle pirates defaulted to the smallest resolution (800 * 600?).

It worked though now a given resolution is a different size window on obsidian and classic (I have posted that here)

You're on Windows. Pauling is on a Mac. Different story.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 10, 2017 9:14:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

You're on Windows. Pauling is on a Mac. Different story.

Do appreciate the effort, though. :)

EDIT: I can log in! The key was to restart the computer after editing (or even deleting) plist file. Only then did changes take effect.

One other thing to note: I also tried deleting the plist file entirely and then restarting the client, but no dice- the app reopened at the same (ginormous) default size.

Also tried removing and re-downloading the client, but again, no help there.

Any ideas on resetting to defaults are welcome; since I can't see the support buttons (bottom of the app?), forum support is all I can try. It's been a while since I logged on but Obsidian sounds cool.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pauling at Jul 17, 2017 5:15:16 PM]
[Jul 11, 2017 6:57:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ladyopal

I have screen sized myself out of the game!!!! Where do I find the file to reset my screen size. I am on Windows 10!
[Jul 19, 2017 5:29:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

I have screen sized myself out of the game!!!! Where do I find the file to reset my screen size. I am on Windows 10!

Provided you're on a Windows machine.

You can change both from full screen and your resolution editing the registry. If you're unfamiliar with using the registry I'd suggest making a back-up, you can probably google how to do that.

To bring up the registry search 'regedit' in the search bar at the bottom. From there you'll need to go to, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\rsrc\config\yohoho\client. You'll see one called full_screen, you want to edit this to false. You can also manually change the client size by editing display_height and display_width.

Jjc on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Jul 19, 2017 6:58:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ladyopal

You can change both from full screen and your resolution editing the registry. If you're unfamiliar with using the registry I'd suggest making a back-up, you can probably google how to do that.

To bring up the registry search 'regedit' in the search bar at the bottom. From there you'll need to go to, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\rsrc\config\yohoho\client. You'll see one called full_screen, you want to edit this to false. You can also manually change the client size by editing display_height and display_width.

I need to change the size Puzzle Pirates plays in, not the resolution of my screen!! I was playing with the settings in Puzzle Pirates and now I can't get to to settings to change them back in the game!!
[Jul 20, 2017 6:21:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

I need to change the size Puzzle Pirates plays in, not the resolution of my screen!! I was playing with the settings in Puzzle Pirates and now I can't get to to settings to change them back in the game!!

Given how often this comes up, I'm mildly surprised the settings/resolution button isn't accessible via the login screen...
[Jul 20, 2017 8:27:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

The directions you quoted tell you how to do that.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Jul 25, 2017 12:57:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azalea23

Having the same issue but seem to be missing the "rsrc.config.yohoho" file in my preferences O.o Please help
[Nov 11, 2017 12:38:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Having the same issue but seem to be missing the "rsrc.config.yohoho" file in my preferences O.o Please help

Be sure you're checking within ~/Library and not just your regular /Library folder.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Nov 14, 2017 12:12:53 PM]
[Nov 14, 2017 12:11:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I don't suppose anyone knows where this file gets tucked on the latest Mac system stuff? (System 10.14) Or what the file's being called, if something changed on that score?

I've managed to undo Apple's child-proofing their system, but there are a shipload of subfolders in the Libraries, both of the system and of the user, and finder can't find 'yohoho' (which I figured would be the most distinct search term I could use) anywhere on the computer.

Edit: correction, I can find music with 'yohoho' in its name. Just no configuration files.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Nov 11, 2018 5:16:45 AM]
[Nov 11, 2018 5:15:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I don't suppose anyone knows where this file gets tucked on the latest Mac system stuff? (System 10.14) Or what the file's being called, if something changed on that score?

I got my problem fixed, though if anyone knows the solution, you might want to post it for anyone after me.

I fixed my problem by going to system preferences --> displays, then setting screen rotation to 90°, and carefully trying to figure out how to manipulate the mouse in order to move stuff around on the screen long enough to get to the YPP options button (above the top of the screen) onto the screen, and then get the center of the game back on screen so I could actually change the display size. Next time, I'm going to do it the easier way, and rotate my mouse 90° as well.

>> Puzzling is supposed to be what we do in-game, not to get into the game! <<
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Nov 11, 2018 5:29:49 AM]
[Nov 11, 2018 5:28:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates