• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3432 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Celesta9

Thinking of returning: what do I do? Reply to this Post

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of returning to Puzzle Pirates but I last played this game 3 years ago and even then, very randomly. But I really love puzzle games so I want to give this a try again. I've totally forgotten how this game works, but I'm not a greenie, so there's no tutorial when I log on. I tried surfing YPPedia but its a bit overwhelming if you don't really know what topics to check out. And I feel really shy about asking random people standing around stupid newbie questions in game. Some examples of questions I have are like, which is the most busy city to make a home in, and how do I get there. How do I travel between islands not connected by the ferry? Stuff like that.

I used to be on Sage Ocean. I see its now merged to become Emerald. Which is the most active server? I can move to any ocean, I don't have a preference but it'd be nice to find some helpful people. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do besides continuously just doing the tutorial puzzles?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Celesta9 at Oct 19, 2012 7:02:06 PM]
[Oct 19, 2012 6:57:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: Thinking of returning: what do I do? Reply to this Post

First off, there's no desperate need to move to the "capital" island unless you have a reason to want to be there. Among other things, there are usually a couple islands on the ocean where things a cheaper on a regular basis-- especially if you're running a ship, there are usually a few islands with cheaper rum and shot. (Yes, enjoying dock tarting and doing frequent selling at the inn are good reasons to be there. Otherwise, go ahead and look around for a while before trying to find a place to call home).

If you're really desperate for that "main" island though, and want the busiest server, you're in luck: that would probably be Admiral on Emerald Ocean. IE, the place you're already familiar with. If you want a place with cheaper rum and shot prices, check out Ursa and Eagle archipelagos (primarily Sayer's Rock, Hubble's Eye, and Isla da Aguia islands). Their prices will spike if HS or Atlantis shows up nearby, but are usually cheaper than the more settled archipelagos.

As for getting there, find a pillage in that area, join them for the pillage, and then hop off onto the island when finished. You can see what ships are in the area by clicking on the ship name on the notice board. Please be polite, and actually join the pillage for at least one battle instead of using it as a free whisk, though. Alternately, if you've ever been to that island, you can purchase a whisking potion to get there.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Oct 19, 2012 7:10:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Celesta9

Thanks for the pointers Xelto. I'm more of a social person, so I guess I enjoy "dock tarting" if it means standing at a dock talking, (btw, what does that exactly mean though, I have no clue) and buying clothes and pets. I'm not even looking to own a boat or shop or anything at the moment, as that seems to be more of a time sink than I am prepared for.

I'm not so sure about joining a pillage at the moment either because all my puzzles with the navy are either booched or poor. Haha, so pathetic, I know. I think I'll get scolded for doing a poor job if I go out with a crew.
[Oct 19, 2012 7:35:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

If you go to Ye->Options->General, there is a checkbox to turn on puzzle tutorials in the ahoy tab. Might help you scour off some of the puzzle rust. :)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Oct 19, 2012 7:42:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Thanks for the pointers Xelto. I'm more of a social person, so I guess I enjoy "dock tarting" if it means standing at a dock talking, (btw, what does that exactly mean though, I have no clue) and buying clothes and pets.

You pretty much got it there-- "dock tarting" is being the guy who's spending more time talking with friends and crew than puzzling.

I'm not so sure about joining a pillage at the moment either because all my puzzles with the navy are either booched or poor. Haha, so pathetic, I know. I think I'll get scolded for doing a poor job if I go out with a crew.

That depends on the crew. If you want to do some pillaging despite rusty skills, either look for the section on the notice board that says "greeter pillaging" (which isn't there all that much, sadly), or do a mouseover of the speech bubbles you'll see by some of the officer's faces on the notice board. Look for one that says "taking everyone" or something like that.

Of course, this all assumes that you actually want to pillage. If you're not really interested in heading out to sea... don't do it.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Oct 20, 2012 6:39:24 AM]
[Oct 20, 2012 6:37:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

I think the more popular server is Emerald, but here on the Cerulean ocean is where the fun is at :P
If you want, you can come on here, and I can be your information slave. I like to help out new players as much as possible, so feel free to send me a tell under the name Upgradde :)
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Oct 20, 2012 10:03:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Celesta9

Thanks very much for the offer upgrade431. I might pop over if I can't find anyone to have fun with on Emerald. So far, my characters seem stuck on some obscure island called Greenwich and there's hardly anyone around whenever I'm on.

And thanks for the advice too xelto. I definitely need to unrust my skills first. I remember pillaging was fun, but it can be time consuming.
[Oct 20, 2012 5:29:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

What's your character's name? Someone can probably invite you to one of the more populated islands if you manage to mesh schedules with them.
[Oct 20, 2012 5:45:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Celesta9

The character that I've been stuck on in Greenwich is Xierra. Been using her to practice puzzles with the navy.
[Oct 20, 2012 7:55:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

Re: Thinking of returning: what do I do?

Every time I see this title I want to reply--Run!
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Oct 22, 2012 8:09:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Re: Thinking of returning: what do I do?

Every time I see this title I want to reply--Run!

LOL! Me too!
Take a walk, read book, contemplate the meaning of life, watch grass grow, or paint dry.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Oct 22, 2012 11:29:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Celesta9

Sorry don't understand you MSpartans. What are you trying to say?
[Oct 22, 2012 6:21:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Shes either trying to say "stay away- the game ruins normal life" OR the game sucks :P Most likely the first one ~:)
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Oct 22, 2012 8:22:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

Shes either trying to say "stay away- the game ruins normal life" OR the game sucks :P Most likely the first one ~:)

Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Oct 22, 2012 10:14:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Celesta9

Haha, I've always been pretty good about managing my time on mmorpgs with real life. I can drop it cold turkey if necessary, not a problem. Addiction has never really been an issue. I just like playing puzzles a lot and play games to relax.
[Oct 23, 2012 12:39:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

I play Emerald under the name Evilduck, if you haven't yet given up on the ocean. My crew doesn't pillage often, but we're big fans of puzzling and being good at puzzles so if you want to be surrounded by people who can help you out, it's a good place to be. We don't conduct open recruitment so we're all friends and we're pretty chatty. If you can get past our egos, it's a fun crew. :P

I also live on Admiral, so feel free to hit me up for a hearty, crew spot or just a whisk.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Nov 4, 2012 8:58:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

I play Emerald under the name Evilduck.

Don't do it, it's a trap.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Nov 5, 2012 6:43:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, cult is a very harsh word.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Nov 6, 2012 7:51:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Fine, you're not part of a cult.

More like a... Family.

A very, very cult-like family.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Nov 6, 2012 8:01:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates