• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4197 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the Game 2012! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Entries for this contest should be posted in the Entry Thread.

The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available for sale at the Palace Shoppe for a limited period. We aim to run this event approximately once every 3 months.

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high. Do not provide any image of your design larger than this. You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background). Adrielle described a transparency method here. The trinkets use indexed colors and therefore cannot have any semi-transparent elements. The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.

Content
The trinket may represent anything seasonal related to winter, or to any popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-December to mid-March. So, you could choose a generic winter theme - bare trees, snow, ice-fishing. Or you could go for a particular holiday or date - this period would cover Winter Solstice, Christmas, Hogmanay, Chinese New Year, Valentine's day, and many many more!

If you're depicting anything potentially anachronistic (that is, things that are more modern than the nominal game setting) make sure to make them piratey or period-appropriate in some way. Please avoid duplicating trinkets already in game.

If you do choose a National or religious event to commemorate, try to avoid overt national or religious symbology (picking a random example, if you're representing Wales, a daffodil is more likely to be used than a Welsh flag). Whatever the theme you choose, the content of must be appropriate to the game. Further clarification on this: the most important thing is that your trinket has a strong design and is visually appealing. In terms of picking a theme or holiday, it can be any seasonal occurrence or holiday that happens within the allotted time frame, particularly one that has a secular celebration or observance associated with it that can be represented with recognizable symbology of a non-religious or not-necessarily-religious nature. (e.g. anything from the weather, to Valentine's day, to the Chinese New Year.)

You can view the trinkets winners for the fall trinkets here. Halloween trinkets can be viewed here. summer here . Spring trinkets can be viewed here, and the previous winning winter trinkets here.

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

If you're using the cloth-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area. If this isn't possible because of the colors elsewhere in your design, try GREEN or GOLD.

If you're using the bone-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area.

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the YPPedia trinket page for an overview of the trinkets already available. It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available for purchase in the Palace Shoppe. They will be inscribable. It is just possible that the arrrtists will choose to use the trinket in a different way - for example, being used as an event prize. The final decision will be made by the arrrtists.

Prizes
A couple of your own trinkets when they become available and a pirate flag (furniture item)! In addition, if you haven't already been awarded it, you will get the Dread Masterpiece trophy when your trinket becomes available in the game.

Judging
There will be a single stage of judging, undertaken primarily by the arrrtists. They will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable. Trinkets chosen in this contest may be made available in-game on different dates and for different durations.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread. Please include the following information at the top of your post:
* Pirate name:
* Ocean:
* Trinket name: (this is your name, but final name for the trinket will be an arrrtist decision)
* Theme / date: (explain what your trinket represents - the season generally, a particular holiday or event (give dates) etc)

If you have two trinket designs in your entry, remember to put in the entry information for both trinkets! If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.

Include your design as an image in the post (see links below) - not as a link.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Tuesday 30th October 2012.

Additional information:

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page
Adrielle's mini-guide to setting transparency
Standard color options
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

Good luck, and have fun!

-------
Para español, haz clic aquí
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Nov 6, 2012 8:56:25 PM]

[Oct 10, 2012 8:54:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the Game 2012! [Deadline October 30th] Reply to this Post

Just wondering as I was looking at Cattrin's crackers and because I'm kinda having a similar issue - are we allowed to submit a singular design ideas two ways (like with or without a bow) and have it still count as one entry? Or is that considered 2 separate entries?
Edit to add example:
< - like this! Is it one entry? or two?
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Oct 11, 2012 5:29:36 PM]
[Oct 11, 2012 5:00:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the Game 2012! [Deadline October 30th] Reply to this Post

Just wondering as I was looking at Cattrin's crackers and because I'm kinda having a similar issue - are we allowed to submit a singular design ideas two ways (like with or without a bow) and have it still count as one entry? Or is that considered 2 separate entries?

I'd love to say yes, but after thinking it through I realized that the possibilities would be endless, so I have to say no. Each counts as a separate entry. There is time to tweak and ask others for feedback, but in the end only one of the versions should be chosen as an entry (with or without a bow for example).

[Oct 11, 2012 5:28:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I'd love to say yes, but after thinking it through I realized that the possibilities would be endless, so I have to say no. Each counts as a separate entry. There is time to tweak and ask others for feedback, but in the end only one of the versions should be chosen as an entry (with or without a bow for example).

Aww, alright. :c

Thanks for asking Dexla, I would've never thought to haha.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Oct 11, 2012 5:41:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Plunderville, that cough syrup is awesome! - Says the pharmacists' (yes two of them) daughter.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Oct 14, 2012 6:14:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Plunderville

Aw, thanks. :)
[Oct 15, 2012 9:03:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

[video link here]

This is sortof random, but I thought that sharing here might be worthwhile.

Anyways, I've had some people asking if I would do a more in-depth tutorial on trinket-making, so I mocked up a simple, fake entry and narrated as I drew.

Keep in mind the video is 20-something minutes of me rambling on at 7 in the morning, it's probably not interesting, and I am a not very enthusiastic-sounding person, but hopefully it helps anyone who hasn't made a trinket before have a bit more of an idea on how to tackle creating one. I purposely kept the trinket simple and went through it slowly so that I didn't end up just being confusing, especially if someone doesn't have the same program, or uses Paint, which has no layer system.

I'm not saying that this is the correct way to go about anything, because it most likely is not, at all, correct, but it's the way I use personally. I also wanted to show that your process doesn't necessarily have to be exact and perfect the first time, to me trinkets are something that you have to just keep trying different ideas on until it looks the way you want it to.

(I'm also considering making a MS-Paint-only version, since I know not a lot of users have Photoshop and it's fancy shortcuts at their disposal.)

[Edit 3 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 15, 2012 2:44:13 PM]
[Oct 15, 2012 1:18:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Plunderville

Oh, awesome, thank you for doing that Cattrin!

I need to overcome my fear of layers, they look like they save so much time...
[Oct 15, 2012 2:36:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

.e oggles
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Oct 15, 2012 3:23:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Thanks, Cattrin! That made a huge difference :D
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Oct 16, 2012 2:36:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I have a (sort-of) un related question, regarding the halloween trinkets. Did we have to be online to get them delivered to us? Or will they magically appear in our pockets?
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Oct 17, 2012 7:36:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I have a (sort-of) un related question, regarding the halloween trinkets. Did we have to be online to get them delivered to us? Or will they magically appear in our pockets?

Perhaps you missed Clothos reply to you the first time:
Clotho wrote: 
Booful, left the prizes in your inventory on Cerulean, please PM me is you can't find them there!

DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Oct 17, 2012 8:03:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

yup i missed the reply >.< figures i un-favorited that thread...oops Thanks :)
[Oct 17, 2012 9:13:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

A wreath helm :3

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

Deathmessage on the Emerald Ocean.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by deathtolll at Oct 19, 2012 6:43:31 AM]
[Oct 19, 2012 5:04:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

A wreath helm :3

Should move it to the entry thread :)
[Oct 19, 2012 8:26:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

I have entered it in the entry thread; just put it for thoughts etcetera.

Dricenticore says, "Normally I don't believe people who say they're girls on the internet but since you went from friendly to hostile in about 3 seconds"

[Oct 19, 2012 4:01:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

well my thoughts is i really like it ^_^ just didnt see it in the entry thread...but then i didnt really look i guess... :)
[Oct 19, 2012 10:36:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Urgh, guys, I need some last minute opinions please.

I don't know which two of these to enter:

I like the cracker but I think it's too simple...We have lots of cookies already in game, but none specifically for Santa...

The last one is from an example I gave, but Musicologist gave me the idea to convert it to a book of Holiday stories.

I'm so indecisive. :c

In case Sandy kills my power before tomorrow, I'm going to put the more complex cracker and the snowman kit in...but if any of you can help me decide I'd love an opinion. :)

[Edit 4 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 29, 2012 2:41:10 PM]
[Oct 28, 2012 5:46:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

My opinion is that all of your trinkets are always amazing.

But my flattery will get you nowhere.

So for constructive ideas: My only thought is that the complex cracker is supposed to be...cracked already? And at the moment it looks like an uncracked cracker with some spaghetti on top <3 so I kind of prefer the simpler version, unless there's some way to make the cracker more cracked looking?

I also love the book, and the snowman kit is great.

I can't envision the disembodied hands and musical notes as "Something I'd keep in my pocket/pouch as a pirate".

Feel free to ignore me completely, as I know next to nothing about trinketry.
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Oct 28, 2012 8:18:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Urgh, guys, I need some last minute opinions please.

I don't know which two of these to enter:

I like the cracker but I think it's too simple...We have lots of cookies already in game, but none specifically for Santa...

The last one is from an example I gave, but Musicologist gave me the idea to convert it to a book of Holiday stories.

I'm so indecisive. :c

In case Sandy kills my power before tomorrow, I'm going to put the more complex cracker and the snowman kit in...but if any of you can help me decide I'd love an opinion. :)

This is my personal opinion so feel free to skip it since I'm not a professional artist neither work for Three Rings but do enjoy pretty pixels ^^

Anyway, they all are great but if I had to choose two, I'd take the simpler cracker and the book :)
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Notsizzly at Oct 29, 2012 8:38:16 AM]
[Oct 29, 2012 8:36:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the Game 2012! [In judging] Reply to this Post

Worst part about events is the wait for results... :P
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Nov 5, 2012 7:14:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the Game 2012! [In judging] Reply to this Post

this one normally takes about two or more weeks to judge...so you can relax for a few more sleeps ~.^
[Nov 5, 2012 8:29:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

We should get ice cream and cookies, the best thing to ease the wait!

[Nov 5, 2012 9:46:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Yummy!

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to the results.

[Nov 6, 2012 12:16:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

And don't forget the chocolate!
[Nov 6, 2012 7:59:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the Game 2012! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

The awaited results are here! I hereby present ye the winners:

Angelira's Angel Ornament

Arghhpirate's Heart Lolly

Cattrin's Snowman Kit

Deathmessage's Miniature Helm Wreath

Deathmessage's Spruce Bough

Dexla's Peppermint Pirate Hook

Karmah's Holiday Teddy

Pixelpixie's Plush Pirate Santa

Pixelpixie's Struck through the Stuffed Heart

Rhodin's Pirate Mittens

Sizzly's Gift O' Pocket Rum

Sizzly's Mini Ice Skate

Thank you all for participating, the entries were wonderful. Congratulations to all the winners!

All prizes will be delivered as soon as the trinkets are in game.
Patience is said to be a virtue... particularly if we are waiting for more chocolate

[Nov 6, 2012 8:56:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathtolll

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the Game 2012! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Congratulations everyone!!

Edit: When roughly will these become available? Next month?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by deathtolll at Nov 6, 2012 10:05:52 PM]
[Nov 6, 2012 8:57:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arghhpirate

Weeeee! Thank you! And 'grats everyone!
[Nov 6, 2012 10:05:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Thank you and congratulations everyone!
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[Nov 7, 2012 2:17:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Awesome, thank you. :)

Congratulations to the other winners as well.

Edit: When roughly will these become available? Next month?

Early December is usually when regular winter and Christmas/New Years trinkets go into the Palace Shoppe, yep.

Early February I believe is any Valentines (on the 14th) or Chinese New Year (starts on the 10th, ends on 24th) trinkets get added to the flock.

[Nov 7, 2012 3:14:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates