• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 115
Posts: 115   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17397 times and has 114 replies Next Thread
Eightycats
Developer

On the Horizon Discussion Reply to this Post

This is the official discussion thread for this post.
[Apr 26, 2012 12:28:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Re: On the Horizon Discussion Reply to this Post

Gunwhales.

Also, shippopotamus.
[Apr 26, 2012 12:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

We are also weighing our options for a future crafting puzzle, but those plans are still of a more sketchy Ye Olde Dry Erase Board variety.

Is GCPP still on the table, or is it getting scrapped?
----------------------------------------
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Apr 26, 2012 1:08:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Thanks for coming in and giving us an update! Exciting stuff.

-Aeth, who doesn't understand why carp is not the station people fight over.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Apr 26, 2012 1:11:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

More sheep colors right? You know we NEED more sheep colors.

*whispers* and I'd love to see a certain furnishing puzzle appear..
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Apr 26, 2012 1:18:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

A post saying that the development team is perhaps developing something? Ah, how interesting.

Really looking forward to seeing what tops the gold boxes.
Emmett
[Apr 26, 2012 1:23:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotJaret

how ironic that this post was made after this one.

Ty so much for starting to focus on gameplay :D

Edit:
(it seems the devs actually read GD :O)
Jaret of Hunter Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by NotJaret at Apr 26, 2012 1:28:30 PM]
[Apr 26, 2012 1:26:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

'Looking even farther out to the horizon, there have been reports of dark shapes swirling in the depths of our design meetings. Have ye ever seen a kraken?'

Interested.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Apr 26, 2012 1:31:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I just hope they continue bleeding even after we saw those krakens. Hmmm, I'd rather hope for an alternative bilge puzzle, but carp and labour is fine too.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Apr 26, 2012 1:36:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

Thank you for letting us know/communicating that you're still working on actively developing the game.

Please do more of this in the future?
Sincerely
[Apr 26, 2012 1:51:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

Yes! Thats a Point to Three Rings! Keep the good work up in terms of communication, not just a one off.
[Apr 26, 2012 2:08:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Thanks for coming in and giving us an update! Exciting stuff.

-Aeth, who doesn't understand why carp is not the station people fight over.

I don't want a new carp puzzle. Then I might have to learn to bilge!

Ditto on the crafting puzzle project query. A while back I stumbled on a thread that said another crafting puzzle had already been chosen - is it likely to be implemented/start over/something else in mind?
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Apr 26, 2012 2:14:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Supposedly the Tailoring puzzle has been chosen but it's lacking development.

One word about Eightycat's announcement: SQUEEEE!
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Apr 26, 2012 2:28:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.

how ironic that this post was made after this one.
(it seems the devs actually read GD :O)

While I'm sure ringers read GD, I very much doubt your post about an alt carp puzzle had any impact at all. By the time OOO gets to the point of making an announcement like this, they will almost certainly have had it planned out for months.

Thank you for letting us know/communicating that you're still working on actively developing the game.

Please do more of this in the future?

Agreed, it is very nice seeing so much communication from the YPP developers. Maybe they are picking it up from the Spiral Knights folks that have semi-monthly "what's on the horizon" posts from their lead developer.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 26, 2012 2:29:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

A carpentry alternate puzzle would be wonderful. Trying to sail even a WB into Atlantis is difficult for very long because after the first 20 minutes to an hour, it's a struggle to keep even half of the carpentry stations full.

I'm excited to see some sea monsters as well. I'd like to see a large multiple tile monster as the kraken.

Honestly, crafting puzzles don't really affect the game much. The GCCP is pretty neat, because that knocks out a lot of the groundwork on a new puzzle, but if it were up to me I wouldn't put a ton of dev work into a new crafting puzzle.
[Apr 26, 2012 2:31:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Honestly, crafting puzzles don't really affect the game much. The GCCP is pretty neat, because that knocks out a lot of the groundwork on a new puzzle, but if it were up to me I wouldn't put a ton of dev work into a new crafting puzzle.

I still want to see a sea monster lair that uses crafting puzzles. Or, honestly, anything that could use the crafting puzzles in the "main" game without totally forcing them into place.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 26, 2012 2:37:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Tailoring is the only one we really need, construction is really not used much unless you want to associate it to the shoppe upgrades and downgrades.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Apr 26, 2012 2:37:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

I always wanted to help with this, but the GCPP Forum was always dead XD, so instead I turned to the Mariner's Muse - but still XD
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Apr 26, 2012 2:56:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

A new carpentry puzzle would be very welcome since it's easily the most boring duty puzzle. I'd also love it if the crafting puzzles were finally finished off. And krakens would be great, as long as they're not just another sea monster hunt, but something different and exciting.

Should I expect to start seeing some of this stuff in about 6-12 months time?
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Apr 26, 2012 3:30:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karenna

Hmmm probably a bit late for some formally active members , but maybe you do read your mail after all. Many were feeling second rate after dr who started and friendliness and communication was zero
Kecapmanis on Viridian! Avatar by Ellenya! =)
[Apr 26, 2012 3:31:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

Am I the only one that dosen't really want a kraken about?

or atleats not dropping krakens blood, whereas I would delight in navigating against some big tentacled monster who I'm sure will bring something interesting to the navigation table to say the least...

I like the fact krakens blood only comes from pillaging, which I ocassionally still do...
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Apr 26, 2012 3:34:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

It's very vague, but communication is good.

An alternative carp puzzle should be a very good update. Hopefully it is a bit more of an 'action' puzzle rather than an intellectual one, just as rigging is more action oriented and sailing is intellectual.

I would be sceptical about kraken encounters, I kind of like the way it's rumoured but never seen at the moment.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 26, 2012 4:01:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

TITAN OMG!
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 

[Apr 26, 2012 4:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

As fairly carebear as it sounds, can the new puzzle have a bunch of different colours? Carp is just all shades of brown.
Anchovia
[Apr 26, 2012 4:32:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I like the fact krakens blood only comes from pillaging, which I ocassionally still do...

I think that pillaging really needs something to make it a more desirable activity for the oceans at large. There have been many threads dedicated to that point, so I'll not continue on that line of thought here, but the fact that kraken blood is about the only thing from pillaging that excites players is a problem.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 26, 2012 4:33:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

I think that pillaging really needs something to make it a more desirable activity for the oceans at large. There have been many threads dedicated to that point, so I'll not continue on that line of thought here, but the fact that kraken blood is about the only thing from pillaging that excites players is a problem.

it dosen't excite me and if it wasn't still there I'd probably sitll do it, I'm a navigator at heart and go wherever there's a challenge that is worth my effort in loading, the blood's just a little bonus that I really enjoy.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Apr 26, 2012 4:44:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Hopefully it is a bit more of an 'action' puzzle rather than an intellectual one, just as rigging is more action oriented and sailing is intellectual.

dont be hatin' on dem riggers
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Apr 26, 2012 4:45:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

And my requests for any kraken hunt:

1) My favorite activity in YPP is Curséd Isles. It's my favorite because first, there is a goal, and second, there is a distinct variety in what you're doing: focusing on tokens early, then a mix of fighting and foraging, then focusing on speed at the end. I'm hoping that any kraken hunt will have a distinct goal (take out the kraken), but have preliminary sub-goals, some of which can be optional (thralling isn't required in CI, for instance), and ideally, there will be multiple approaches that people will take, all of which are viable strategies.

2) Make it doable with small ships (cutter to brig, maybe even sloop). I have no problems if it can also be done with large ships, but, I would rather not see the jobber-to-navigator problem made worse.

Edit: not only doable with small ships, but have it so that there is no strong incentive for bigger ships. Traditional atlantis is doable in brigs, but there's less variety in your foes, and there's the locker-to-chest percentage, and it's easier to do a brain-dead backwall hump strategy than actually navigate... so nobody does a traditional run in a brig.

3) Keep it from being a high-end activity-- or ideally, the request I made for multiple viable strategies? Have at least one of those work with lowish-end crew, and a higher risk-reward strategy that takes a more elite crew. BUT keep the payouts so that there is incentive for people to take low-end crews in, as well. This is a response to the large number of people doing citadel runs. Once the payouts for a citadel win got ramped up so much, there's far less incentive to do a more traditional atlantis run, which, in turn, affects the newer players who want to do something with their expensive badges, that won't take forever to fill.

4) If you can win kraken blood-- or any other commodity, for that matter-- have some way of guaranteeing a distribution of it. I can just imagine the anguished screams of an entire brig that hauled in many units of blood, only to have the captain take it all.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Apr 26, 2012 5:04:57 PM]
[Apr 26, 2012 4:56:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Thank you Eightycats for giving us something! We're always looking for a promising future and it's good to hear from the Developers that it's actually in the works!
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Apr 26, 2012 4:56:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

it dosen't excite me and if it wasn't still there I'd probably sitll do it, I'm a navigator at heart and go wherever there's a challenge that is worth my effort in loading, the blood's just a little bonus that I really enjoy.

OK, let me rephrase what I said: there needs to be a few extra bonuses for people on pillages to enjoy than what are there now. Expeditions were nice, but they either need more variety (BKs and merchants are mostly another regular ship to fight), or some other bonus item(s) that the crew will enjoy (SMH charts are nice for the navigator, but awkward to sell and split).
[Apr 26, 2012 4:59:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 115   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates