• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 92
Posts: 92   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10164 times and has 91 replies Next Thread
Quitex

Dub price whine thread Reply to this Post

Due to the recent updates for Ice, the dub prices are now skyrocketing. To make it easier for all of us, I've decided to start this thread, so all people wanting to whine about dub prices can do so in just one place, and those looking to avoid such posts can simply not stumble upon them somewhere else.
----------------------------------------
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Apr 3, 2012 8:46:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

Re: Dub price whine thread Reply to this Post

/whine
~ Bambeh

Johnydepp says; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'
Priapus says; 'Mate, look at his screen, you could play chess on that.'

[Apr 3, 2012 8:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

Bambeh, your avatar is awesome.
Elfeesh

"We are all worms. But I do believe I am a glow-worm."
[Apr 3, 2012 8:54:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

I know, Arctickisses did an aaaaamaaaazing job ^^,
~ Bambeh

[Apr 3, 2012 8:57:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

/me laughs and continues playing on Cerulean
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Apr 3, 2012 10:36:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

OH MY DEAR LORD! are you telling me that a player driven economy involving real life money traded for an ingame currency that can then be sold to other players is not running properly?

I do think I just messed myself at this information, I don't think I could handle it over on the green oceans, I'll just stay on the blue one

(anyone else noticed that blue is the colour oceanmasters names are in, and green is the colour of new and inexperienced people, just thought I'd throw that in there.)
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Apr 3, 2012 11:30:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

OH MY DEAR LORD! are you telling me that a player driven economy involving real life money traded for an ingame currency that can then be sold to other players is not running properly?

I do think I just messed myself at this information, I don't think I could handle it over on the green oceans, I'll just stay on the blue one

(anyone else noticed that blue is the colour oceanmasters names are in, and green is the colour of new and inexperienced people, just thought I'd throw that in there.)

This is a very weak attempt at trolling.

However, thanks to quitex for pointing out the release of gold boxes on ice. I'll look forward to seeing the new familiar types in game, even if (at $2 a try) they are priced rather outside my range. :)
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Apr 3, 2012 11:41:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Can we get this renamed to the "despite multiple issues in the game, dev time is going to gold ships, unicorns and dragon familiars whine thread".
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Apr 3, 2012 1:00:31 PM]
[Apr 3, 2012 12:59:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

There was a time when joking about the devs smoking too much pot was just a joke.
Sincerely
[Apr 3, 2012 1:41:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Can we get this renamed to the "despite multiple issues in the game, dev time is going to gold ships, unicorns and dragon familiars whine thread".

Seems more like Arrtist time is going into gold ships, unicorns and dragons. The devs are mostly working on the other OOO projects ;D
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Apr 3, 2012 2:11:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

I'm all for unicorns, but not for dragons... I mean, this is a pirate game not a medieval game =/

(Unicorns excluded, who doesn't love a unicorn?!)
~ Bambeh

[Apr 3, 2012 3:10:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

unicorns and dragons... I'm guessing we're moving towards a somewhat younger target market, mmm?
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[Apr 3, 2012 6:30:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Due to the recent updates for Ice, the dub prices are now skyrocketing. To make it easier for all of us, I've decided to start this thread, so all people wanting to whine about dub prices can do so in just one place, and those looking to avoid such posts can simply not stumble upon them somewhere else.

Emerald is at around 1900, and Meridian is just short of 2k. Last I bothered looking, they were both around 1700. That's not much of a spike.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Apr 3, 2012 7:14:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Emerald is at around 1900, and Meridian is just short of 2k. Last I bothered looking, they were both around 1700. That's not much of a spike.

It's also not been announced on the oceans, just in the forums.

Personally, I wish that they had put in a 12 dubs/25k option for the doubloon oceans. It still would have led to doubloon inflation, but would have looked less like a shameless attempt to yank money out of our pockets. Yes, I know that this is a commercial venture, and they need money somehow-- but this looks more like a Zygna approach to gaming than a OOO approach. Want to win Mafia Wars? The person who sends them the most real-life money wins. Want your lottery ticket for a dragon? Pay up, man.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 3, 2012 8:06:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harshex

I'm all for unicorns, but not for dragons... I mean, this is a pirate game not a medieval game =/

We wil have a discussion tomorrow when i see you.

No one bashes, the Dragons woman >:
ExuberanceSalacious of Meridian & Obsidian
Severe of Emerald

Derp.
[Apr 3, 2012 10:39:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

We wil have a discussion tomorrow when i see you.

No one bashes, the Dragons woman >:

I love you, please don't hurt me, I promise to be a firey Dragon for you?!

Not really a dragon or fiery... Don't hurt me still!
~ Bambeh

[Apr 4, 2012 2:51:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

but this looks more like a Zygna approach to gaming than a OOO approach.

I see you haven't experienced Spiral Knights. Welcome to the new OOO. Wait until they introduce very important things that can't be bought with dubs, but can only be bought with real money.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 4, 2012 3:50:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I see you haven't experienced Spiral Knights. Welcome to the new OOO.

I experienced fifteen minutes of it. But given that I play video games as part of my work-- whether I want to or not-- I knew it wasn't going to hold my attention very long until/unless I got a new job.

Wait until they introduce very important things that can't be bought with dubs, but can only be bought with real money.

That's the day I leave. One of the things I really like about this game is that your abilities are determined by your abilities, not your wallet*.

* Blockades excepted, naturally. But they're a small enough portion of the game that I don't mind it.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 4, 2012 4:49:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Wait until they introduce very important things that can't be bought with dubs, but can only be bought with real money.

That's the day I leave. One of the things I really like about this game is that your abilities are determined by your abilities, not your wallet*.

Oh! A threat of quiting... yeah, where have I seen that before?

To roughly translate the two real-money-only things in Spiral Knights into YPP, imagine there was a badge, bought with real money only, that would let you instantly create a spawn and quickly disengage. If your ship is ready for the next battle, you click the button and *boom*, you are on a bnav board. If the spawn and/or board isn't to your liking, you can disengage after 2 turns. Sure, you can continue to play with the old spawn system, it just takes longer. Oh, and yeah, the quick disengage would help traders, but they can still move stock they way they do now. Your abilities haven't changed, just the amount of fun per minute.

The other thing that is real-money-only is an equivalent to a new SMH-type thing, with higher pay and the ability to get more useful ships/swords. Sure, your ability hasn't changed. You can even get these things by paying others, so you don't *have* to pay real-money, but it sure is easier.

Neither of these things would stop you from playing the game as you do right now. Do you think many people are really going to quit just because they are having the same fun as they have been having? Sure, there was some grumbling on the Spiral Knights forums when these were introduced, but most players thought it made the game funner, and therefore was good for the game.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 4, 2012 5:31:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Spiral Knights is pretty easy to be honest. You can make all the CE you want if your smart about it.
Captainrich
[Apr 4, 2012 6:19:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gorath

Like the Backsword?
Gorath
[Apr 4, 2012 7:59:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Like the Backsword?

Backsword? Important? Really...?
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Apr 4, 2012 9:15:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

This is a very weak attempt at trolling.

However, thanks to quitex for pointing out the release of gold boxes on ice. I'll look forward to seeing the new familiar types in game, even if (at $2 a try) they are priced rather outside my range. :)

I was merely trying to point out complaining about the price of dubs is a pointless and really a bit of a stupid thing to do.

economys only work if people aren't stupid, sadly this is rarely the case in real life what do you really expect to happen inside a video game?
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Apr 4, 2012 10:07:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Oh! A threat of quiting... yeah, where have I seen that before?

Never from me, before.

To roughly translate the two real-money-only things in Spiral Knights into YPP, imagine there was a badge, bought with real money only, that would let you instantly create a spawn and quickly disengage. If your ship is ready for the next battle, you click the button and *boom*, you are on a bnav board. If the spawn and/or board isn't to your liking, you can disengage after 2 turns. Sure, you can continue to play with the old spawn system, it just takes longer.

Eh, mildly unimpressed. I don't like the "pay to speed things up" philosophy: if you're game needs speeding up, there's a problem with it. However, I don't find the "hunt down the spawn" to be a game flaw, even if others do, so I assume that this is an analogy that may not have translated to YPP terms all that well.

The other thing that is real-money-only is an equivalent to a new SMH-type thing, with higher pay and the ability to get more useful ships/swords. Sure, your ability hasn't changed. You can even get these things by paying others, so you don't *have* to pay real-money, but it sure is easier.

This, on the other hand, would be a distinct turn-off for me, at least if "more useful" = "more powerful". The fact that you can purchase the things from other players lessens the problem somewhat, though how much it helps would really be determined by what the proportion of time needing to be spent to get/keep/whatever the advanced goodies. But if "more useful" is equal to "different ship configuration, but roughly balanced with the existing ones", then I really have no problem with it.

---------

My biggest concern is that OOO will go the way of every other "free" game I've ever tried, which in reality turns out to be "We'll let you play a crippled version of the game. If you want to play the real game and [where applicable] stop being target practice for our paying customers, send us real-life money". And that's the biggest reason that YPP is still the only free online game I play. So... yes, threatening to leave is a real threat, at least from me. I've done it to every other game I've tried.

I'm not opposed to pay-to-play games: I can't, considering that I've worked professionally with coin-op games for a couple decades now, and paid to play them for a couple decades before that. (And now that it looks like I'll have a bit of real-life spending cash on a regular basis, I might even be persuaded to pay for YPP.) But the two-tier setup that a lot of games have is a real turn-off for me. I don't like knowing I'm doing better than most people simply because I've got more money to spend on the game than they do. I really don't like being on the bottom, knowing I'm sucking simply because someone else is spending money.

Edit:

Like the Backsword?

This is an example of what I'm talking about. I have no problems with people owning a backsword, and me not able to get one due to inability to find the box set/not caring enough to hunt it down. The backsword may look incredibly cool, and it's great against bots... but not against other players. So it's fine in my book. On the other hand, if the Dadao mk 1 was a cash-purchase only item, I would never swordfight again. (Not that I SF much anyway... but the analogy should be understandable.)

--------

And now that I've had a couple days to assimilate this new addition, I'm not quite as adamant about the doubloon only cost of the boxes. I'm not happy about it, since I like lower doubloon prices, but since nothing in the gold box actually affects game play, I'm less worried about buy-your-way-to-victory, at least from these boxes.

And, looking back on what I wrote, it's probably a good thing that sea monster hunts were invented before I came on the scene, otherwise I probably would have had a HWFO session over bravery badges.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Apr 4, 2012 2:25:41 PM]
[Apr 4, 2012 2:20:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

If doubloon sinks are just for useless shiny then that's fine, though I'd much prefer there to be a big PoE sink associated with them since we don't need 3k dubs again. OOO seemed to have got the message about doubloon prices with black boxes, but they're back up to 2k with the trailing of this release and this is clearly going to push them up.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 4, 2012 2:32:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

My biggest concern is that OOO will go the way of every other "free" game I've ever tried, which in reality turns out to be "We'll let you play a crippled version of the game. If you want to play the real game and [where applicable] stop being target practice for our paying customers, send us real-life money". And that's the biggest reason that YPP is still the only free online game I play. So... yes, threatening to leave is a real threat, at least from me. I've done it to every other game I've tried.

Care to list examples? I haven't found a game of such a category where skill doesn't outweigh credit card players. Granted, early in many games the money players gain a distinct advantage, but that generally dissipates entirely over time in the wake of someone who knows what they are doing. The problem is when you have a player who knows what they are doing and is dumping money into the game, at which point things do balance out, but it takes more time.

I don't see how Y!PP could put something realistically in that would make anyone feel like target practice. Unless you're implying they release double shot sloops or triple shot brigs/frigs for paying customers?
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Apr 4, 2012 2:39:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Real-money-only high end swords or bludgeons would have that effect, as would (as you mention) stronger ships.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 4, 2012 2:49:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

If doubloon sinks are just for useless shiny then that's fine, though I'd much prefer there to be a big PoE sink associated with them since we don't need 3k dubs again. OOO seemed to have got the message about doubloon prices with black boxes, but they're back up to 2k with the trailing of this release and this is clearly going to push them up.

I suspect that this is part of the reason that gold boxes are such a limited-release item.... two weeks out of every two months.

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Official:Gold_Box#Gold_Boxes wrote: 
Gold Boxes will only be available in February, April, June, August, October, and December. Gold Safes will only sell the boxes for two weeks at a time, starting on the first Friday of these months.

Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Apr 4, 2012 3:41:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Care to list examples? I haven't found a game of such a category where skill doesn't outweigh credit card players.

Most of them I've forgotten. The one that's sticking in mind, mostly because of the lengthy and misleading advertising campaign, is Evony, where money equals the ability to avoid lengthy, painful waiting periods, and possibly (it's been a while) gives you purchasable powerups.

And the very short time I looked at Mafia Wars, it looked like money let you bypass the need to properly build up your stock-- but that game looked so boring that I can't tell you if my initial impression was accurate.

I don't see how Y!PP could put something realistically in that would make anyone feel like target practice. Unless you're implying they release double shot sloops or triple shot brigs/frigs for paying customers?

That's the deep concern. Yes, it's unlikely, given OOO's stance on 'boots of bilging +5', but seeing something that was a doubloon-only cost other than badges was a bit of a shock to my system. I'm mostly getting over the shock, but it was definitely there when I first saw it.

In game design terms, though, I'm sad that they did pass on the opportunity to do a dual-price (IE, either dubs OR PoE, but not both) setup. If they did that for gold boxes (13 dubs/25k) and black boxes (5 dubs/10k), then there might be some stability put into the market, without absolutely fixing doubloon prices. That is, doubloons would, even if they didn't stay in the 2k vicinity most of the time, at least have a pressure to move them either up or down towards that 2k mark. I left the apothecary business in large part because of the troubles of keeping up with doubloon fluctuations-- lowering the amounts of fluctuations in the market would be an asset to the game, IMO.

(Of course, the dual-price option would, ideally, need the other palace shoppe stuff repriced to reflect 1 dub = 2k, not 1k. And I've grumbled about the dubprice of furniture for a long time. And furthermore [more complaints that will be ignored by everyone here].)
[Apr 4, 2012 3:57:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Oh no doubt, the dub price on some items is just silly for the average Joe which could be a potential player retention problem.

Evony is one of the biggest examples I thought you'd go to, and truthfully with the sad state it's in now, just ugh. Having played it a few months after it came out when there weren't very many people dumping money in, skill was obviously prevalent. Dabbling in a year and a half ago before botting it became widely popular but more and more people were dumping in money, I didn't notice much change. One thing I'd say now is that with how many people are dumping money into Evony and botting at the same time, no free player without a bot could ever keep up, when someone is using 24 hours of a day as opposed to an average player using 2-3 for actual troop related things, there's a giant difference. That said, a player using a bot will walk all over most money dumping botters after the first two or three months of a server.

Annoying game, definitely a good example, but without the edge of a bot vs no bot, coiners in Evony only get ahead for the first few weeks. (Except those massive ones that put in 10k to get instant everything heroes, that's a good three-four month jump).
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Apr 4, 2012 4:13:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 92   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates