• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 33
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5948 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available for sale at the Palace Shoppe for a limited period. We aim to run this event approximately once every 3 months.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Friday 24th February 2012.
Entry thread

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high .
Do not provide any image of your design larger than this.
You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background). Adrielle described a transparency method here. The trinkets use indexed colors and therefore cannot have any semi-transparent elements. The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.

Content
The trinket may represent anything seasonal related to Spring, or to any popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-March to mid-June . So, you could choose a generic Spring theme - spring weather, vacations, spring and outdoor activities. Or you could go for a particular holiday or date. Please avoid duplicating a trinket that already exists in the game.

If you do choose a National or religious event to commemorate, try to avoid overt national or religious symbology (picking a random example, if you're representing Wales, a daffodil is more likely to be used than a Welsh flag). Whatever the theme you choose, the content of must be appropriate to the game. Further clarification on this: the most important thing is that your trinket has a strong design and is visually appealing. In terms of picking a theme or holiday, it can be any seasonal occurrence or holiday that happens within the allotted time frame, particularly one that has a secular celebration or observance associated with it that can be represented with recognizable symbology of a non-religious or not-necessarily-religious nature. (e.g. anything from purely natural/seasonal themes to the secular celebration of Mardi Gras).

You can view the winning Spring trinkets from last year here and the previous winning winter trinkets here.

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, and you may use up to 3 color variations as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

If you're using the cloth-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area. If this isn't possible because of the colors elsewhere in your design, try GREEN or GOLD.

If you're using the bone-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area.

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the YPPedia trinket page for an overview of the trinkets already available.
It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available for purchase in the Palace Shoppe. They will be inscribable. It is just possible that the arrrtists will choose to use the trinket in a different way - for example, being used as an event prize. The final decision will be made by the arrrtists.

Prizes
A couple of your own trinkets when they become available and a pirate flag (furniture item)! In addition, if you haven't already been awarded it, you will get the Dread Masterpiece trophy when your trinket becomes available in the game.

Judging
There will be a single stage of judging, undertaken primarily by the arrrtists. They will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable. Trinkets chosen in this contest may be made available in-game on different dates and for different durations.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread. Please include the following information at the top of your post:
* Pirate name:
* Ocean:
* Trinket name: (this is your name, but final name for the trinket will be an arrrtist decision)
* Theme / date: (explain what your trinket represents - the season generally, a particular holiday or event (give dates) etc)

If you have two trinket designs in your entry, remember to put in the entry information for both trinkets!

Include your design as an image in the post (see link in next post) - not as a link. If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Friday 24th February 2012.

Additional information

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page
Adrielle's mini-guide to setting transparency
Standard color options
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

(The next event will be the Summer theme posted around May, and covering trinkets relevant for those hot summer months).

Please feel free to post in this thread if you have comments, questions, suggestions, or words of encouragement. Good luck, and have fun!

Para español, haz clic aquí .

Edit: you may use up to 3 color variations
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 27, 2012 9:37:35 PM]

[Feb 2, 2012 9:58:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
I_Be_Batman

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! [Deadline- February 24, 2012] Reply to this Post

We can ask questions here?
Saosin of Miridian (Viridian)
Captain of Burn After Rolling
King of Odd Future
[Feb 8, 2012 12:08:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! [Deadline- February 24, 2012] Reply to this Post

Please keep this thread just for entries - if you have comments on entries, or questions on the event, please use the main event thread .

^From the Entry Thread.

So sure!
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Feb 8, 2012 3:04:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Please feel free to post any comments, questions, suggestions or encouragement in this thread!

[Feb 8, 2012 3:32:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
I_Be_Batman

Please keep this thread just for entries - if you have comments on entries, or questions on the event, please use the main event thread .

^From the Entry Thread.

So sure!

Don't make order unless your an OM

If I work a buddy on one do we both get recognition for it?

I want the trophy :0
King of Odd Future
[Feb 9, 2012 11:47:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

^From the Entry Thread.

So sure!

Don't make order unless your an OM

If I work a buddy on one do we both get recognition for it?

I want the trophy :0

-Cattrin was trying to help you.......

-I highly doubt you could share the recognition with somebody else, otherwise [hypothetically] if I could design a trinket with 100 other people would we all get Dread Masterpiece trophies?
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Feb 9, 2012 12:08:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
I_Be_Batman

Sorry. Missed the So Sure! at the bottom.
King of Odd Future
[Feb 9, 2012 1:30:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
I_Be_Batman

-I highly doubt you could share the recognition with somebody else, otherwise [hypothetically] if I could design a trinket with 100 other people would we all get Dread Masterpiece trophies?

2 Pirates. Have a buddy in real life who plays the game too.

Two heads think better than one.
King of Odd Future
[Feb 9, 2012 1:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

2 Pirates. Have a buddy in real life who plays the game too.

Two heads think better than one.

Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

I'm pretty sure that it should be a singular project, considering the emphasis on "your own" quite a lot, and not "you and a friend", but it's Clotho's decision. :)

[Feb 9, 2012 1:51:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Definitely not encouraged, designs should be your own and created for this contest only! The objective is for artists and potential artists to try their hand at new designs and the trophy is a visual recognition to that effort.

Please keep in mind that other players that answer some questions have experience in these types of events and they're only trying to help, and we are very grateful for their input. If the responses are accurate, then there's no need for the OM organizing the event to respond again - we only do so when there's a need for clarification or addition to the responses given.

[Feb 9, 2012 2:22:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

With trinkets that are designed to come in various colors, is it ok to include more than two variations? (Like 3 or 4?) =D
Adrielle (retired) / @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter
[Feb 9, 2012 2:29:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

With trinkets that are designed to come in various colors, is it ok to include more than two variations? (Like 3 or 4?) =D

Historically, we've only allowed up to two. I will consult with the arrrtists and get back to you on as soon as possible :)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 9, 2012 3:01:48 PM]

[Feb 9, 2012 3:01:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Thanks! =D
[Feb 9, 2012 3:05:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Confirmation regarding color variations:
It's fine to use up to 3 color variations, just make sure to use only the colors available in game and remember to submit a couple of examples so the color changes are clear - Adding note to OP.

[Feb 9, 2012 4:56:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Awesome! =D Thanks Clotho!
[Feb 9, 2012 7:31:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

I finally had a minute to scroll through the entries.

I. Want. Them. All.
These just keep getting better and better... I don't know how you can put such detail into such a tiny space!

I especially want the towel. But I want all the others, too =D
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Feb 10, 2012 12:41:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

A little over a day to go... this is exciting!

[Feb 23, 2012 6:55:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Am I the only one who thought this contest went by extremely fast? xD I swear one day I was entering early and the next it was the 24th.

I've had "vial of rain water" and "rain boots" in my head for awhile, but I like the way you guys did them much better than what I've tried. :)

[Feb 25, 2012 5:19:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pn55406

Am I the only one who thought this contest went by extremely fast? xD I swear one day I was entering early and the next it was the 24th.

I've had "vial of rain water" and "rain boots" in my head for awhile, but I like the way you guys did them much better than what I've tried. :)

I agree with you Cattrin, it did seem to go by fast. Thank you for the complement, and the rain boots are cool.
Blakbead of the Meridian
-----------------------------------------------------
Avatar brought to you by Cattrin
[Feb 25, 2012 8:13:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Whew.
Judgement day.

You know, I drew that duck months ago? I didn't have internet at my house, and I was bored, so I worked on it a lot.

His name is Reindeer. Reindeer the duck.
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Feb 26, 2012 2:31:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Drumroll! We have six winners for this event!

Claddagh Ring by Ecastasy of Cerulean

Blooming Anchor by Adrielle of Meridian

Daisy Chain by Adrielle of Meridian

Cherry Blossom by Dexla of Cerulean

Dread Shamrock by Phaerie of Cerulean

Seed Packet by Cattrin of Cerulean

Thank you everyone for participating, the designs were all lovely! Congratulations again to all the winners, you will receive the trophy and prizes when your trinket becomes available in the game. Can't wait :)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 3, 2012 10:44:32 AM]

[Feb 27, 2012 9:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Congratz to all of the winners - very nice entries! :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Feb 28, 2012 12:36:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Yay, thank you! :)

Congrats to the other winners as well.

[Feb 28, 2012 2:28:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

Thank you! Love the arrtists rename of the shamrock :D Congrats to everyone that entered, really great ideas that I wish I had thought of!
Phaerie on Cerulean
"My donkey fell in your waffle hole"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Phaerie2 at Feb 28, 2012 4:57:39 AM]
[Feb 28, 2012 4:54:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Many thanks!!
Most importantly, congrats to the winners and to all of you who entered! There were some fantastic entries this season.
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Feb 28, 2012 5:40:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pn55406

Congratulations winners! It is fun to enter these events!
Blakbead of the Meridian
-----------------------------------------------------
Avatar brought to you by Cattrin
[Feb 28, 2012 7:11:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

I totally almost missed this :O

Thanks so much ^_^! Congrats to all the other winners and the people who participated! I look forward to the next batch :D
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Feb 28, 2012 7:17:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Now all we need is for Spring to arrive and let us have these goodies!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Feb 28, 2012 10:55:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

.e does double take.... how could I miss an ENTIRE trinket contest?!?
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Feb 28, 2012 2:51:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

.e does double take.... how could I miss an ENTIRE trinket contest?!?

Blame the eggs.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Feb 28, 2012 2:55:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates