• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 48
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8677 times and has 47 replies Next Thread
Delinet

Re: Bloakde pay -- 9999 not enough? Reply to this Post

No reason to change anything, the outcomes of a 9999 blockade are already so massive.
I can't find any good reason to raise the pay caps but the exception of having higher poker tables (200k-2m), because even at 200k tables, it takes a fortune of your time, effort, and poe to finance them, not to mention the amount of pressure on the blockade staff.
----------------------------------------
/Delinet

Senior Officer of Tapout
Lord of Knockout

Xpirate's pimp since est. September 2011
[Dec 8, 2011 1:51:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Cap the max-pay to the amount of players logged in the game, times X? IMO, X=3.

So if only 500 players are online, max pay per segment is 1.5k.

If 1000 players are online, max pay is 3k.

If 2000 players are online, max pay is 6k.

And so on...

i dont like this idea -- the sub oceans would only get 1.5k! :(
Tinycat on Cerulean
Disclaimer: I purposely bring drama into peaceful conversations.
[Jan 31, 2012 5:10:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

And so on...

i dont like this idea -- the sub oceans would only get 1.5k! :(

Nah, we'd just all run 4 or 5 clients at once. Especially since it's based on number of players online rather than numbers actually actively jobbing in the blockade.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Jan 31, 2012 8:46:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

And so on...

It'd make more sense in my mind to allow higher pay with a lower amount of people online.
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Jan 31, 2012 11:51:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

But then, if they can afford it, why not pay it? At the end is their PoE. We've seen two (three?) blockades hit 9999 during three different weekends. Pay-capping the blockades is not a good idea because different flags use different tactics to win and if a flag is not wealthy enough to blockade a large island, then, why would they?

Then again, if a flag believes an island is worth 15k/segment, why not lettem???

This effectively turns blockading into fundraising. You do not need to have good navers, a good staff, a good anything but poker players to outpay the other flag.
Captainrich
[Feb 1, 2012 9:31:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

But then, if they can afford it, why not pay it? At the end is their PoE. We've seen two (three?) blockades hit 9999 during three different weekends. Pay-capping the blockades is not a good idea because different flags use different tactics to win and if a flag is not wealthy enough to blockade a large island, then, why would they?

Then again, if a flag believes an island is worth 15k/segment, why not lettem???

This effectively turns blockading into fundraising. You do not need to have good navers, a good staff, a good anything but poker players to outpay the other flag.

And if you have a poker player equal to the poker player in the other flag, they you do need good navs/staff.
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Feb 2, 2012 1:47:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

And if you have a poker player equal to the poker player in the other flag, they you do need good navs/staff.

Rare.
Captainrich
[Feb 2, 2012 4:23:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Rare.

Yeah. The vast majority of PoE on the ocean is held by nonpolitical people. Since blockading is the only big redistribution method, this PoE gets lost and causes inflation, but that's another story.

There are very few politically active hardcore poker players. Of the politically active, there are varying degrees of commitment. What this leaves is one or two players per ocean that can literally /autowin any island they want to, given enough time.

The current pay mechanic has created a system in which every blockading flag has to go into the blockade with planned scenario that they can be pay'd out within one round - this creates prearranged friendly blockades to avoid this scenario. These blockades can be entertaining/rewarding but aren't really competitive on the high end. However, this mechanic also ensures that the ocean must accept that a politically active, invested pokerstar WILL hold the most valuable islands, if he chooses to. Once the decision is made, dislodging said player requires a multi week, multilateral attrition campaign, which is inherently not fun for any party involved.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Feb 2, 2012 6:35:16 PM]
[Feb 2, 2012 6:33:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Rare.

Yeah. The vast majority of PoE on the ocean is held by nonpolitical people. Since blockading is the only big redistribution method, this PoE gets lost and causes inflation, but that's another story.

There are very few politically active hardcore poker players. Of the politically active, there are varying degrees of commitment. What this leaves is one or two players per ocean that can literally /autowin any island they want to, given enough time.

The current pay mechanic has created a system in which every blockading flag has to go into the blockade with planned scenario that they can be pay'd out within one round - this creates prearranged friendly blockades to avoid this scenario. These blockades can be entertaining/rewarding but aren't really competitive on the high end. However, this mechanic also ensures that the ocean must accept that a politically active, invested pokerstar WILL hold the most valuable islands, if he chooses to. Once the decision is made, dislodging said player requires a multi week, multilateral attrition campaign, which is inherently not fun for any party involved.

tl;dr

LEARN HOW TO POKER NOT HOW TO NAV! LULZ
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 3, 2012 6:21:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MattMason84

Contrary to popular belief, it is still possible to generate a constant and significant income from island ownership. Some flags even manage to defend their islands from attackers funded by poker using said island income along with shoppe and pillage income.

Poker is just one source of large scale income, there are others. A successful flag would be foolish to rely on the income generated by a single player anyway, far better it be built on the combined efforts of a group so you have some resilience and continuity.
Pyralis, SO of Axis Analemma, Prince of Maniacal Menagerie.
[Feb 3, 2012 7:33:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

Re: Blokade pay -- 9999 not enough? Reply to this Post

take cap off cade pay- Let free market capitalism rule with pay relative to the potential gain of island ownership!

take out the cancer that is poker and is killing the game (yeah, yeah, I know- without Poker the population would decrease further, blah, blah)

get people back on the oceans, have FUN and get rich the way the game originally intended.
Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Edit 1 times, last edit by amartino at Feb 3, 2012 7:48:16 AM]
[Feb 3, 2012 7:46:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

take cap off cade pay- Let free market capitalism rule with pay relative to the potential gain of island ownership!

take out the cancer that is poker and is killing the game (yeah, yeah, I know- without Poker the population would decrease further, blah, blah)

get people back on the oceans, have FUN and get rich the way the game originally intended.

Taking out poker almost solves your first problem. Still to keep the game as even in the pay field as possible a cap is needed.

Would you be angry if we did this "free market capitalism" and the market dictated that jobbers are only worth 500 a seg? Personally I do not think jobbers are worth paying more than 2k a seg. Especially when half are on five alts.

Free Market Capitalism sucks anyways, it doesn't even work on MMOs.
Captainrich
[Feb 3, 2012 10:28:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

Would you be angry if we did this "free market capitalism" and the market dictated that jobbers are only worth 500 a seg?

Absolutely- it does that now. And if it doesn't attract enough quality jobbers, it gets raised until enough participate- that how free market works.

I typically join for 3k and up
Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Feb 3, 2012 10:59:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

Re: BloCkade pay -- 9999 not enough? Reply to this Post

Given that a cap can be circumvented, and that 50k/round is ridiculous as it is (really, that buys you a war brig on Cerulean), I'm with the camp that says it doesn't need to be changed.
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Feb 3, 2012 3:34:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

Re: BloCkade pay -- 9999 not enough? Reply to this Post

Given that a cap can be circumvented, and that 50k/round is ridiculous as it is (really, that buys you a war brig on Cerulean), I'm with the camp that says it doesn't need to be changed.

Circumventing a cap would indeed be trivial- you could easily distribute bonus pay using the same methods we all used to handle blockade pay for years (manual pay, port and divvy, etc).

That's a shame, of course, because I don't believe that godlike PoE reserves should be license for a flag to do anything they want. Then, the counter for unlimited jobber pay goes back to good, old fashioned... And hard... politicking.
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Feb 3, 2012 9:34:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Would you be angry if we did this "free market capitalism" and the market dictated that jobbers are only worth 500 a seg?

Absolutely- it does that now. And if it doesn't attract enough quality jobbers, it gets raised until enough participate- that how free market works.

I typically join for 3k and up

Edit: I will be nicer and say the market already dictates how much a flag is willing to pay to take a island or to blockade for fun. Generally fun blockading is lower pay because the actual flag paying for the blockade would like to be able to blockade more than once. The flags that just want the island tend to pay a lot more.
Captainrich
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hillsmen at Feb 4, 2012 9:36:56 AM]
[Feb 4, 2012 9:31:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devinski

I would job with Hitler for 9999 Poe a seg. Who does this? Hearty me :p
Alcar on Cerulean
Captain of Young and the Reckless
Alcy baby
[Mar 17, 2012 4:22:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

I would job with Hitler for 9999 Poe a seg. Who does this? Hearty me :p

it was just a matter of postcount till someone went there...
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Mar 18, 2012 5:44:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates