• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12386 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Island openings 2011 - event blockade Reply to this Post

The next round of island openings will be decided by event blockade. Each blockade will be set up as two rounds, but the winner of the event will be the winner of the first round of the blockade. The monarch of the winning flag can choose between the listed options for their ocean, and their decision must be sent by PM to Apollo within 48 hours of the blockade finishing.

The event blockade
* 10am Saturday 26th November (simultaneous on all listed oceans)
* Two rounds - but first round is the scoring round (the second round is there just for you to play in, and so that the scores stay on the board a while longer)
* Sinking
* Dense obstacles
* Any ship size
* Cannons effective
* Alliances ignored
* Maneuvers allowed
* Extra treasure haul sites. We expect to put between 2-5 million PoE in treasure haul sites throughout the first round. At two points in the blockade (approximately 10:20 and 10:40) a one-million PoE wreck will be placed.
* Blockade locations:
Midnight: Alpha
Cobalt: Dragon's Nest
Viridian: Dragon's Nest
Sage: Lincoln
Hunter: Chachapoya
Malachite: Saltstraum Rock

Island (or prize) options
Prizes must be claimed by the winning flag's monarch within 48 hours of the blockade ending.

Cobalt options:
* Jubilee
* Windward Vale
* no island opening (and one of the Midnight prize options!)

Viridian options:
* Mermaid's Purse
* Stormy Fell
* Kuhio

Sage options:
* Cook
* Rowes

Hunter options:
* Immokalee
* Edgar's Choice
* Qaniit

Malachite options:
* Acanthaster Spits
* Stalwart Reef

Midnight prize options: no island openings on Midnight. We will look at options for 'reclaiming' player-owned islands next year, if the flags are still interested.
The event blockade on Midnight will have the following prize options:
* a package of 'charm' for an island you own (as always, choice and location of charm must be approved before being placed by an OM - the final decision won't be made within the 48 hour period for prize claims, but as long as the prize has been chosen by then, the discussion can start) - see the Charm Packages section below for your choice of packages, but note that the details may need to change depending on the island you are adorning.
* a grandiose flag hall (or an upgade to grandiose if you currently have a smaller one)
* a flag SMH - we will provide ship (your choice of size), stock, map (your choice of SMH type) and at least one OM to come along and puzzle for an hour or two, but you need to run the SMH! If you do well, and port the voyage safely, we may even throw some bonus PoE into the booty!
Charm package options:
-- Fountain with 2 wildflower planters
-- Pirate statue, either male or female plus 2 wildflower planters
-- Group of 3 sleeping pigs/piglets plus a trough
-- Group of 3 sleeping turtles/tortoises plus a driftwood
-- Well plus some greenery (exact details would depend on existing island vegetation - but e.g. 2 trees, 3 bushes, some scrubgrass)
-- Pair of armor (sword or spear, but must be two of the same type), must be paired and put in a suitable location

Island openings
For any islands that open for blockade at the end of this process, the island will be given to a Brigand King/Queen before the initial sinking colonization blockade. If the claims are made promptly, the island colonization blockades should be Saturday 3rd December - this is not set in stone, in case there are unforeseen delays.

Monarch
What if there's no active monarch? I strongly suggest that (both for the event, and for any subsequent blockade) if your monarch is not active, your Royals vote someone else in to be your spokeperson through this process. You can always vote the original monarch back into position once they're active again. If you have an active monarch who just won't be around for the 48 hours after the event to claim a prize, get them to add a note to the flag info page nominating another Royal to post on their behalf.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Apollo at Nov 16, 2011 9:01:37 AM]
[Nov 4, 2011 6:15:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Re: Island openings 2011 - event blockade Reply to this Post

Thanks for posting this! I'm sure many pirates are pleased to get this update :D
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Nov 16, 2011 9:58:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

It's not summer, heh. But glad to see something did come of this, even if it's rather later than initially suggested. The next few weeks should be fun.

I'd like to see more about this 'reclamation of player islands' in future too, and a sustainable mechanism for returning islands to uninhabitable status on all oceans to make space for new openings.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Nov 16, 2011 10:31:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

The flag SMH is such a great prize! I hope if anyone chooses that, they run a frig into Atlantis or Haunted Seas - I'll bet we could fill a frig even on Cobalt if an OM came along.

Really glad to see this go up - should make a lot of folks happy (or at least knock something off their grumble list). 2-5 million in TH poe is going to make for a lot of entrants, island opening or no.

Thanks Apollo!
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Nov 16, 2011 10:32:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Great I've been looking forward to this though if cook opens I'm bound to try and get in the the fake inn.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Nov 16, 2011 11:00:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

[Nov 4, 2011 3:15:49 PM]

Apollo is a Time Lord?
[Nov 16, 2011 11:03:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Apollo is a Time Lord?

No Apollo wrote in special ink that was not visible to mortals until today
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Nov 16, 2011 11:50:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Apollo is a Time Lord?

No Apollo wrote in special ink that was not visible to mortals until today

I shall travel forwards in time by days equal to the reciprocal of Alpha, the fine-structure constant, and show my mastery of space and time!
I shall report back on the s3kr1t OM forum next April 1st; having not yet mastered travelling backwards in time.
[Nov 16, 2011 12:21:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

I like the event set-up and opportunity to deny an opening. But on behalf of those on a holiday weekend the 26th - booooooooooooooo
[Nov 16, 2011 1:11:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I like the event set-up and opportunity to deny an opening. But on behalf of those on a holiday weekend the 26th - booooooooooooooo

Yeah, but the holiday is Thursday, that gives you a full day to recover :P
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Nov 16, 2011 2:11:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

Yeah, but the holiday is Thursday, that gives you a full day to recover :P

It means allot of us are still out of town :p
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Nov 16, 2011 2:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Auntyjemima

I hope the BKs/BQs that hold the islands before colonization aren't wimpy 3 strengths ._.

Nortoneer says, "Kitty.."
Nortoneer says, "How do you think yer kitten would do at sails?"
Hellkitty says, "he'd probably purr-fur rigs"

[Nov 16, 2011 2:51:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

QFT. After waiting all summer with bated breath, it happens on the two Saturdays I am unavailable to participate. Driving home from Wisconsin (family Thanksgiving) on the 26th and flying out to Korea on the 3rd. Here's hoping my "second" is available both days. 10 days notice - well, more than I expected but less than I'd hoped :)

Oh well, I am at least grateful that they finally got around to it.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Nov 16, 2011 3:03:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

OMH! I still can't believe the OM's set themselves up for so much work.

/me waits patiently for the winners on Viridian to pick Mermaid's Purse and start naming buildings. Someone get the popcorn ready, this is going to be a heck of a show.

IV(Midnight native, Coblat refugee on Viridian)

IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Nov 16, 2011 3:24:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
Kyubi74

I will be going for this event for sure. Been waiting for this for so long.
Kyubi
- Captain Of Ninety-Nine Problems -
- King Of No Apologies -
-Emerald-

Ky
=Captain Of Glad You Came=
=Member Of Knockout=
=Meridian=

Kyubi you have earned some massive respect from me - Yaruto
[Nov 16, 2011 6:12:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yrrab2

Another AMAZING event from Puzzle Pirates! Well done!
Weeding
[Nov 17, 2011 4:28:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raider81

I do like that this is finally happening but I think the dates should be changed atleast 1 week for the Holiday weekend.
Crip- Cerulean
Crip- Cobalt
Raider- Midnight
Raider- Azure

Galene tells ye, "Glad you have a sense of humor. Nice to give you a little trouble for all the trouble you have given us!"
[Nov 17, 2011 6:18:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jevy12

Whats the point in all this? All that will happen is a there will be a few cade fors about a month then be back into the same cading routine, i.e on hunter ZERO. Can you not just merge the oceans? Like get rid of malachite it averages like 80people a day, and move them into hunter or something that will boost the cading activity for the long term not the short term. - Moonchestre (Hunter ocean)
Jevons

Finally leaving.
[Nov 18, 2011 11:45:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Whats the point in all this? All that will happen is a there will be a few cade fors about a month then be back into the same cading routine, i.e on hunter ZERO. Can you not just merge the oceans? Like get rid of malachite it averages like 80people a day, and move them into hunter or something that will boost the cading activity for the long term not the short term. - Moonchestre (Hunter ocean)

There are already a thousand threads regarding ocean merging, I don't think this should be one of them.

That being said, whether or not this event provides any long-term blockade activity doesn't really matter. If it even provides 1 week of activity it's better than doing nothing, am I right?
[Nov 18, 2011 2:14:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

whether or not this event provides any long-term blockade activity doesn't really matter. If it even provides 1 week of activity it's better than doing nothing, am I right?

I don't disagree with your good intentions Stephen, but I disagree with your statement/conclusion. You can stimulate a weekend of blockade activity without having to open an island. I agree that this should not become just another merger thread, but Moon has a point - there will be a significant amount of activity on two Saturdays, followed by one of the already wealthy, populous, and probably already island owning flags winning an island to develop on oceans that already have small populations spread thin enough. I'll use Cobalt as an example - I personally like the 33% probability that we will finally get one end of an interarch established - a boon for traders and interarch pillagers; but the truth is one of four people on Cobalt will acquire an Inn (perhaps even their second or third) followed by a 50% chance that Carmine becomes irrelevant by proximity. I'm happy to accept the tradeoff of relevance for a populated medium to open up the interarch gateway, and I'm happy to compete in blockades, but an island opening event doesn't have to happen in order to provide blockade fun, and let's not pretend that it does anything for the ocean except put another Inn and a shop or two into the hands of someone who already sits at the top of the heap.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Edit 1 times, last edit by marundel at Nov 18, 2011 3:31:28 PM]
[Nov 18, 2011 3:29:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

I look forward to further proving the quality of the Malachite ocean.
Emmett
[Nov 18, 2011 10:33:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mamabuns2

Great to see things happening on Mala! Can't wait for the action to unfold in the the upcomming weeks :)
Mamabuns on all Oceans ~ Mala is where my <3 is!!!

Queen of Sick Man's Dream
[Nov 23, 2011 8:57:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

I've sent this through petition as well, and from the sounds of it, it's on hold for you, but I'll also ask here:

Would it be possible to alter the prize of the island opening event tomorrow? As opposed to having an island opened on the date set in the thread, would it be acceptable to have the island open at a date six months from now, if certain conditions have been met by the player base?

Also, if that is possible, would a list of pros and cons to island openings now, and later, as well as player support be necessary to select such an option?

Thanks.

If we can take this route, how can we decide a fair way of determining the conditions so that they satisfy the ocean's player base? Our motive is that if the decision to open an island was put up to a condition over the next few months, a better idea would be grasped as to whether Viridian could support another large, or if it would just fall under a flag after a few weeks and be forgotten about. Currently, the issue is in doubt, as the blockade face of the ocean has begun to be more active, but whether that is just a few weekends of excitement, or a continuous thing remains to be seen.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Nov 25, 2011 5:33:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I replied to the petition, but for the sake of anyone here, no I'm afraid we couldn't change the prize conditions at this point.
[Nov 26, 2011 2:02:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Congratulations to the winning flags and thank you to all who participated!

As a reminder, prizes must be claimed by the winning flag's monarch within 48 hours of the blockade ending.

The winners are as follows:

Cobalt
Dark Lords (Monarch: Wickedone)

Viridian
Knockout (Monarch: Cairna)

Sage
League of Light (Monarch: Soeny)

Hunter
Illusion (Monarch: Imrans)

Malachite
Fill in the Blank (Monarch: Emmett)

Midnight
A Plus Pirates (Monarch: Jeasilver)

-Pro
[Nov 26, 2011 11:01:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
timmyman10

Will we also get a list of what they choose? please:D
Timmydude
SO of Skeletons

Gunnermooch wrote: The more I read Hunter Parley the more I am convinced the Special Bus drove straight into it.
[Nov 26, 2011 12:41:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Yes, once I've heard from everyone, I'll post the decisions. So far, I've heard from 4 of the winners.
[Nov 26, 2011 12:59:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Here are the decision from the winning flags!

Cobalt Dark Lords (Monarch: Wickedone) - opening Jubilee Island
Viridian Knockout (Monarch: Cairna) - opening Stormy Fell
Sage League of Light (Monarch: Soeny) - SMH fun!
Hunter Illusion (Monarch: Imrans) - SMH fun!
Malachite Fill in the Blank (Monarch: Emmett) - opening Acanthaster Spits
Midnight A Plus Pirates (Monarch: Jeasilver) - SMH fun!
[Nov 28, 2011 1:11:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
timmyman10

Here are the decision from the winning flags!

Cobalt Dark Lords (Monarch: Wickedone) - opening Jubilee Island
Viridian Knockout (Monarch: Cairna) - opening Stormy Fell
Sage League of Light (Monarch: Soeny) - SMH fun!
Hunter Illusion (Monarch: Imrans) - SMH fun!
Malachite Fill in the Blank (Monarch: Emmett) - opening Acanthaster Spits
Midnight A Plus Pirates (Monarch: Jeasilver) - SMH fun!

Thank you oh shinny one:D
Timmydude
SO of Skeletons

Gunnermooch wrote: The more I read Hunter Parley the more I am convinced the Special Bus drove straight into it.
[Nov 28, 2011 2:08:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

What's the point of having a BK defense if it will be a 1 strength?
[Nov 30, 2011 12:47:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates