• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2383 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
glittertjess

*Knockout's Outpost Blockade Policy*

Not interested in the Surtsey event ? Don't worry, we have more to offer for our outpost islands!

Details:

Knockout will keep any blockade on our outposts (Conglin, Spectre or any future outposts that we may win) nonsinking and offer a flexible paycap that will suit anyone who wishes to attack us! All you need to do is contact us in advance, arrange the blockade times and suggest your pay-cap. We will keep the blockade fair with even-jobbing. In some cases, if we feel that we have a significant nav-edge on our opposition and are winning comfortably , we may even let you outjob us by 20% along with ocean-side advantage! We are also willing to help you get better at blockading if you ask us for advices or even arrange experienced staffs to help you out on the blockade day. Knockout will be taking requests for friendly blockades from next week. We will only agree to a maximum of 2 friendly blockades per week (first come, first serve basis). In some odd cases due to real life issues, we may decline requests but we will get back to you some other time. No flag is ruled out from our outpost-blockade policy unless the attacker is hostile and fails to communicate with us before and even after the warchest has been dropped. Any suggestions or questions? Feel free to post them, we are open to suggestions.

----------------------------------------
Cairna
Monarch of Knockout on Meridian & Emerald
Loiosch says, "when do we ci"
Karthika says, "cai might spank me if i do"
[Nov 14, 2011 11:15:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

Re: *Knockout's Outpost Blockade Policy*

Not interested in the Surtsey event ? Don't worry, we have more to offer for our outpost islands!

Details:

Knockout will keep any blockade on our outposts (Conglin, Spectre or any future outposts that we may win) nonsinking and offer a flexible paycap that will suit anyone who wishes to attack us! All you need to do is contact us in advance, arrange the blockade times and suggest your pay-cap. We will keep the blockade fair with even-jobbing. In some cases, if we feel that we have a significant nav-edge on our opposition and are winning comfortably , we may even let you outjob us by 20% along with ocean-side advantage! We are also willing to help you get better at blockading if you ask us for advices or even arrange experienced staffs to help you out on the blockade day. Knockout will be taking requests for friendly blockades from next week. We will only agree to a maximum of 2 friendly blockades per week (first come, first serve basis). In some odd cases due to real life issues, we may decline requests but we will get back to you some other time. No flag is ruled out from our outpost-blockade policy unless the attacker is hostile and fails to communicate with us before and even after the warchest has been dropped. Any suggestions or questions? Feel free to post them, we are open to suggestions.

I like it, seems well thought out. I hope it works out and is used.

I have never been a huge fan of pay caps. Especially with a climate as politically lopsided as Viridian. By flexible are you suggesting it changes during the cade, or can be changed pre-cade?

Would a better option possibly be setting an amount by which poe can be raised? Say both sides agree to only raise by 100 poe when down, and communicate prior to raises from both sides. This still allows for cheap blockades but gives a flexibility to it all.
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Reeves90 at Nov 14, 2011 11:21:20 PM]
[Nov 14, 2011 11:18:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
glittertjess

I like it, seems well thought out. I hope it works out and is used.

I have never been a huge fan of pay caps. Especially with a climate as politically lopsided as Viridian. By flexible are you suggesting it changes during the cade, or can be changed pre-cade?

Would a better option possibly be setting an amount by which poe can be raised? Say both sides agree to only raise by 100 poe when down, and communicate prior to raises from both sides. This still allows for cheap blockades but gives a flexibility to it all.

We are fine with no pay-caps if that's what the attacker wants. PoE isn't our concern so we are offering paycap if someone wishes it (at like lets say 1.5k). The option you suggested about raising a set amount will be covered aswell. We will agree to whatever the attacker is comfortable with regarding pay-raises. When pay evetually gets higher, raises have to be more significant to catch-up in the desired time. So lets say if pay get to 1.5k and the side-outjobbed raises by 100, they might not be able to catch-up in time. Hence I think agreeing to raising by a set amount might not work out in the long-run. We can start off by with just 50 raise even when the starting pay is 500/seg and maybe by 150 or 200 if it goes down to later rounds and the pay is significantly higher. I'm basically willing to do anything that works best for the particular attacker regarding payraises and caps.
Cairna
[Nov 14, 2011 11:30:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Good luck!

I reacted when I saw the "paycap" part, since a paycap alone would give Knockout a huge advantage over most flags. But if you think you can keep jobbing even anyway - fair enough.

I'll just once again point out the possibility of "total pay cap" instead, as at least worth a try. Say that you, and the attacker, can only add, say, 1 million to the job offer - no more. If you run out, you run out. Then both sides have to work to limit pay raises and keep jobbing even (if you outjob, you'll use the PoE faster), and are even in terms of PoE shortage. In the bes of worlds, it should give a blockade that is competitive, yet cheap. Of course, it requires some trust, but so do all pre-arranged blockades with terms.

Just an idea.

Edit: It's implicit, but I'll say it anyway - given the political situation, it is highly likely that all pay raises will be done by the attacker, in order to catch up. Therefore, a paycap would only limit them, not you, since all you have to do outjob (if you wish to, not saying you do) is to match on the cap, and there will be nothing they can do. In other words, a paycap is a very empty offer. Non-sinking, on the other hand, is highly relevant.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezder at Nov 14, 2011 11:39:49 PM]
[Nov 14, 2011 11:33:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
glittertjess

I'll just once again point out the possibility of "total pay cap" instead, as at least worth a try. Say that you, and the attacker, can only add, say, 1 million to the job offer - no more. If you run out, you run out. Then both sides have to work to limit pay raises and keep jobbing even (if you outjob, you'll use the PoE faster), and are even in terms of PoE shortage. In the bes of worlds, it should give a blockade that is competitive, yet cheap. Of course, it requires some trust, but so do all pre-arranged blockades with terms.

Just an idea.

I personally don't want to do this because it takes some fun and learning experience out of the blockade aspect when your land staffs have to wait on a ship for 10 mins to job. Another drawback of this method is the reserve pay. If a side wishes to spend only 1 mil, they might need to add more for the reserve pay (at later stage when pay goes higher). Even though the entire blockade might cost them less than 1 mill, but the reserve pay may need more poes to keep jobbing. This again limits the blockading aspect. The last problem would be the trust issue which you already mentioned.

Edit: Just saw your edit - I used the term "pay-cap" just for the sake of it. I added the flexiblity word to it since I'll do whatever the attacker wishes. If they wish for no-paycap, that's absolutely fine.
Cairna
[Edit 1 times, last edit by glittertjess at Nov 14, 2011 11:46:37 PM]
[Nov 14, 2011 11:42:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

Seems like a good idea; I hope new flags take advantage of this.
Roseh

[Nov 15, 2011 12:30:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2NDSKY

Nice to see outposts beeing available for new flags to drop on. I got two questions though.

If let's say a new flag manages to win one of your outposts, are you going to visit them in the near future?

How about when a 3rd party shows up at one of these arranged outposts blockades? How will KO react to that, since a 3rd party doesn't work in the favor of a new flag when it's one of their first blockades. Plus I can't imagine you'd want these blockades to go sky high in pay for the sake of the less experienced flags.
Shadowie on Obsidian
[Nov 15, 2011 6:16:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
glittertjess

If let's say a new flag manages to win one of your outposts, are you going to visit them in the near future?

How about when a 3rd party shows up at one of these arranged outposts blockades? How will KO react to that, since a 3rd party doesn't work in the favor of a new flag when it's one of their first blockades. Plus I can't imagine you'd want these blockades to go sky high in pay for the sake of the less experienced flags.

If the initial blockade costs are low (lets say less than a mill or maybe a little more) and we feel like blockading that particular outpost again, we will. However, we aren't going to keep visiting them week after week till they give up defending.

KO will not ally any thirdparties during the blockade. We will treat any thirdparty neutrally, regardless of who they are. We will shoot them and ask the attackers to do the same. We most likely won't be matching the thirdparty's offer aswell. If they happen to drop a warchest, this may change.
Cairna
[Nov 15, 2011 7:38:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Great idea.
Captainrich
[Nov 15, 2011 8:39:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Just an idea.

I personally don't want to do this because it takes some fun and learning experience out of the blockade aspect when your land staffs have to wait on a ship for 10 mins to job. Another drawback of this method is the reserve pay. If a side wishes to spend only 1 mil, they might need to add more for the reserve pay (at later stage when pay goes higher). Even though the entire blockade might cost them less than 1 mill, but the reserve pay may need more poes to keep jobbing. This again limits the blockading aspect. The last problem would be the trust issue which you already mentioned.

Edit: Just saw your edit - I used the term "pay-cap" just for the sake of it. I added the flexiblity word to it since I'll do whatever the attacker wishes. If they wish for no-paycap, that's absolutely fine.

Fair enough. Your islands, your rules. The promise of non-sinking alone would have been enough to make Legacy drop when we were new, and looking for our first blockade.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Nov 15, 2011 9:19:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
glittertjess

The promise of non-sinking alone would have been enough to make Legacy drop when we were new, and looking for our first blockade.

I hope so. We are too bored due to lack of good contested blockades. Looking forward to stirring more action on Viridian. I don't personally care if its a new or old flag. So even if current Legacy wants to take a shot at it, go ahead.
Cairna
[Nov 15, 2011 9:52:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

Honestly it's a good thought and all but it smells Dendrite fund all the way to Malachite. I hate to say it but there is no way this is going to work for the same reason the Dendrite fund didn't work. People are going to look for cost efficiency, and when I say cost efficiency I don't mean dropping on Knockout with Surtsey as the prize. Weak flags (or flags that appear weak) holding valuable islands is what attracts most blockades. It's not a coincidence that Dilemma has been hit three weeks in a row at Harmattan. People get into blockading through blockading for the islands, it's later we start enjoying the blockade for what it is, not what it produces.

Therefore, you are offering something people simply aren't interested in, that's the sad and honest truth. All it truly ends up being is a little banner saying "we want to improve the blockading scene" just like the kind Legacy flew at Dendrite. Sorry guys but this is political stuffing and wishful thinking.

The problem has been apparent for quite some time and Cai, you're a smart guy you know exactly why you're at where you're at. If you ally half the ocean, then throw an NAP with the other half to beat that one flag that was actually making blockades happen, you're going to end up with a very slim list of possible targets. This isn't anything unique it's actually really common, I mean take a look at hunter for example. The problem is the hunt for absolutes.

What I mean by this is, people look for the most of everything, the most pay the most jobbers the most islands and the most experienced staff. This leads to stagnation. If you truly want some blockades to happen, you'd do some real change, not some "feel free to hit up our outposts for nonsinky" stuff. There's been a flag that did exactly what I'm talking about in the past which is why I know why it works. RM dropped out of the AoD and a little later Viridian ocean was on fire. This is how it has to go down, a flag rises to power and then forfeits it for the sake of reviving the blockade game.

If you truly are after blockades and not more political image and jobbing support, that's what you should do.
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Edit 1 times, last edit by warp11 at Nov 15, 2011 4:49:41 PM]
[Nov 15, 2011 4:47:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
glittertjess

Honestly it's a good thought and all but it smells Dendrite fund all the way to Malachite. I hate to say it but there is no way this is going to work for the same reason the Dendrite fund didn't work. People are going to look for cost efficiency, and when I say cost efficiency I don't mean dropping on Knockout with Surtsey as the prize. Weak flags (or flags that appear weak) holding valuable islands is what attracts most blockades. It's not a coincidence that Dilemma has been hit three weeks in a row at Harmattan. People get into blockading through blockading for the islands, it's later we start enjoying the blockade for what it is, not what it produces.

I totally agree that weak flags holding valuable islands attracts most blockades. Talking about Knockout as a flag, we have a very intimidating image. Nobody has stepped up to blockade us, whether at a crappy outpost or an important large like Kirin/Terra since RM retired. The picture in a general pirate's mind is like "ZOMG, don't cade Knockout they have so much jobber support and countless poe." This is exactly what I want to change and hence our Outpost Blockade Policy is the first step. Knockout is yet to paywar a blockade on Viridian. We've organized multidrops and such, but when it comes to a heads-up blockade, we kept it as clean as possible. I'm pretty sure, regardless of what island is in question, we aren't going to paywar. Even during the hostile battle with RM, there were tons of intimidating comments passed by both sides but on the blockade day, it was alot cleaner. Sure, I've paywared in the past but we're beyond that. I personally prefer sinking over non sinking anyday. I prefer 300+ jobbers in a blockade than 100-150. It's not really possible to get these things at every blockade and hence we should save it for the better islands that are more worth fighting for. However, smaller blockades at outpost islands with non-sinking promise to encourage people isn't a bad idea at all. Something is better than nothing.

The problem has been apparent for quite some time and Cai, you're a smart guy you know exactly why you're at where you're at. If you ally half the ocean, then throw an NAP with the other half to beat that one flag that was actually making blockades happen, you're going to end up with a very slim list of possible targets. This isn't anything unique it's actually really common, I mean take a look at hunter for example. The problem is the hunt for absolutes.

Alliances are never a bad thing in the long run for more than just jobber support. If these one flag had some significant and helpful allies, the ocean could've actually been very competitive. Such flags have a very short run as they'll ultimately go down when the others unite. Being the bad guy only lasts for a limited time. Its a lopsided battle. Alliance wars is what would keep an ocean active throughout the year. Else, we will all be waiting for the one bad guy to stir things and then wait for the next after the previous one has self-destructed.

What I mean by this is, people look for the most of everything, the most pay the most jobbers the most islands and the most experienced staff. This leads to stagnation. If you truly want some blockades to happen, you'd do some real change, not some "feel free to hit up our outposts for nonsinky" stuff. There's been a flag that did exactly what I'm talking about in the past which is why I know why it works. RM dropped out of the AoD and a little later Viridian ocean was on fire. This is how it has to go down, a flag rises to power and then forfeits it for the sake of reviving the blockade game.

If you truly are after blockades and not more political image and jobbing support, that's what you should do.

This again is your short term view. Imagine if RM and Legacy stuck with each other tightly while we were trying to break-through, the battle would've been almost never ending. Just look at the decreasing number of blockades since RM retired. When we actually tried to stir Legacy (the bad guys of that time) up with the multi-drop, they backed out while we were all pumped up for some massive blockades. Atleast we saw Fintan last weekend and it actually made me happy that they're trying to get back on the block and didn't totally fade out. Almost every flag take the political game very seriously and if you blockade them, they consider it as backstabbing a friend. Can I ask you to do the same on Hunter? (i.e Dropping out of Exposed/Blue Ice alliance and help Illusion cade them?) Its not something so easy to do without losing ALOT of friends that you've made over the years. The reason I said that no flag is ruled out from this is because I've not limited this offer just to non allied parties but to our own allies aswell. For example, if Antheas wants to hit us with these terms, I'd be serve them too.
Cairna
[Nov 15, 2011 5:36:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Can I give my opinion? Okay, I will regardless.

I feel it's great that KO is doing this, because it's showing willingness to create a healthy lower-end blockade scenario. I also feel it's sort of useless if your goal is to keep an island--this isn't supposed to be an island giveaway, it's supposed to be a way for flags to learn how to blockade and what to do and what not to do.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Nov 15, 2011 7:10:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

In case you didn't understand Cairnas first post:

There is an island give away event in Viridian Event forums but he is also offering non sinking/pay caped blockades on any other outpost KO owns; there is an island give away but this thread is not about that.
Roseh

[Nov 15, 2011 7:44:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

Honestly Cai you completely missed my point here. Honestly there are only so many allies in an ocean and a majority of them are yours. That's what's causing the stagnation, not people not "stepping up to the plate". With that being said there currently is no stagnation, we've come to a burst of blockades lately, the only one experiencing the stagnation is you because you haven't been one of these flags.

Have you not noticed the pattern these last two years? How many times did Knockout and Knockout get dropped on? The force image is what makes you so short on defenses, as there's always a more suitable opponent. Honestly if you were sincere about blockading more you would break out from this force and try to fight it. I mean of course this is better than nothing, but it seems the only thing that's bound to increase here for sure is your jobbing support. I feel obliged to point out how hollow and insincere this actually is.

You definately play the game a lot better than you did in the past. I don't know why but I think we've all grown a little from when we were fighting tooth and nail on hunter. Which is why I was hoping you'd be ready for the aforementioned course of action to spice up the cadescene. It doesn't matter though. People are currently working hard to make sure there are blockades on Viridian every weekend and it's up to you whether you want to actively participate in this.
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Nov 15, 2011 11:10:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

I lol'ed.
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 15, 2011 11:31:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
glittertjess

Honestly Cai you completely missed my point here. Honestly there are only so many allies in an ocean and a majority of them are yours. That's what's causing the stagnation, not people not "stepping up to the plate". With that being said there currently is no stagnation, we've come to a burst of blockades lately, the only one experiencing the stagnation is you because you haven't been one of these flags.

Have you not noticed the pattern these last two years? How many times did Knockout and Knockout get dropped on? The force image is what makes you so short on defenses, as there's always a more suitable opponent. Honestly if you were sincere about blockading more you would break out from this force and try to fight it. I mean of course this is better than nothing, but it seems the only thing that's bound to increase here for sure is your jobbing support. I feel obliged to point out how hollow and insincere this actually is.

Thats exactly what the plan is - to get involved in more blockades. Hopefully this should revive the lower end of the blockade game to start with. Like you say that having ties is hollow since its about mere jobbing-support and as long as KO doesn't go paywaring, there shouldn't be more reasons for leaving us out on the defenses and looking for a more suitable opponent. Its just the image which I want to surrender and not essentially my social circle. Anyways, I'll figure out a way to get involved in more blockades even if this idea fails. This is just a start.

People are currently working hard to make sure there are blockades on Viridian every weekend and it's up to you whether you want to actively participate in this.

I can assure you that we will.
Cairna
[Nov 16, 2011 2:46:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Subpose

Interesting and should be good fun! Wonder who'll take advantage of this.
Life isn't fair, why should PP be any different?
[Nov 16, 2011 6:44:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates