• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2018
Posts: 2018   Pages: 68   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 176610 times and has 2017 replies Next Thread
DementedDuck

Re: ROMS 13.33: ROMS of Cthulhu [GAME ON] Reply to this Post

Not entirely on topic: Enzo, I love this roleplay. It's very entertaining. :D

And because I read this but didn't respond to it:
Wrecker wrote: 
WOW in 9.25, I believe. Also, so you'd hold off on abstaining to give people more of a chance to play? How long will that last? Playing two Days isn't much longer than playing one Day =P I know it's biased due to your getting lynched first before, but if you were suspicious of someone, would you hold back because of that?
I'd hold off on voting, not abstaining :P and it'll last for one day, probably in every match because it really does suck to go so early. And if I were suspicious enough of someone to vote for them in R1, then yes, I'd vote for them. But I don't think I've ever been sure enough of my suspicions in R1 to honestly say I would vote in the exact same circumstance in, say, R4. There's just rarely a chance to get enough information.
----------------------------------------
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 22, 2011 8:01:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Oooh hey...what's this...a mace!

**walks on**

Cotton balls? What am I supposed to do with a mace and cotton balls?

**walks further**

Gorilla glue? Ok, I can work with this.

**covers mace head in gorilla glue and affixes cotton balls..**

Here ya go Sear. A nudgeon.
Jolyma

[Sep 22, 2011 8:23:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrecker15

Oh lordy.

I'm sorry, I promise to *try* and stop mixing everything up >.>
- Neverhall
- SO and gunner of purple sirenes
- Princess of hugglebees
- Midnight

-Avvie by DarkFaery
[Sep 22, 2011 8:58:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

A word to the wise:

If you have a role that provides you with information about other players, be careful about how you reveal that information if you're not ready/willing to roleclaim. Two tips:

1. Certainty can be dangerous. If you suddenly are uncharacteristically certain of the alignment of another player with little backing proof, this may tip your hand. It's fine to show certainty, but making a vague statement about most of the players followed by a dead certain statement that so-and-so is a rogue is a massive tip-off to the rogue team if that person is, in fact, a rogue.

Note, however, that it is nowhere near as helpful to the town because the town will hear the same information and not know whether or not your information is correct.

2. Daybreak is dangerous. You FoS Player A on Day 1, and then you drop the FoS right near the start of Day 2 for an inconclusive reason. To a role-hunting rogue who knows Player A is innocent, a good reason for a change in opinion is that you have an important role. To the town, at best there might be suspicion that you have an important role but it's much less convincing than it is to the rogues.

It is possible that some aspects of these bits of advice might not be relevant this game due to roles and game specifics, but both of these are based on cases where a PWS was banned for accidentally tipping their hand. In both cases, the information the PWS had tipped was entirely overlooked by the town.

All in all, remember: if you choose to try and leak out information before you decide to roleclaim using *wink wink nudge nudge* style posts, it is possible that some town members will catch on and pay attention to your information. It's more likely that the rogues will catch on, however, and then you probably die.

/The more you know
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Sep 22, 2011 10:31:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

That's subtle?

:p

I've missed you Sear. I show this by being a smartbooty. It keeps me young.
Jolyma

[Sep 22, 2011 10:40:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

Quitex wrote: 
Go for a vote toDay for someone of moderate suspicion but yet you abstain. What held you from voting for me or Therack? 6.5 and 6, respectively, is not low, is very well into moderate level.

Well, my suspicions start at 5, or neutral for everyone, and change accordingly. So for me, a 6.5 and a 6 aren't too high.

Searmin wrote: 

Master, I'm curious as to what the bolded sentence means. What were you referring to when you typed it? What was its purpose?

Well, I've never seen a serious vote on the first page, and assumed it was an unspoken rule.

DD wrote: 
Not entirely on topic: Enzo, I love this roleplay. It's very entertaining. :D

I'm a bit indifferent on it, it always makes me think more to understand his posts though, so at least he puts a lot of effort in them.

The people about there, had they been awake instead of asleep, at other times would have seen even stranger things. Some day, but not at this time, I shall make an announcement of something that I never once dreamed of.

[Sep 22, 2011 2:10:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

master2482 wrote: 
Well, I've never seen a serious vote on the first page, and assumed it was an unspoken rule.

But why speak it then? There are lots of unspoken rules that don't need to be mentioned (pretty much by definition). It was in a post about how you voted abstain right away and didn't feel the need to wait, but it wasn't about that?
Searmin

[Sep 22, 2011 2:20:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

The first rule of ROMS is...
Jolyma

[Sep 22, 2011 2:26:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

Oh, and Joly, it's nice to get to play with you again as well. I'm tempted to Photoshop some cotton balls onto a screenshot of one of my DDO characters wielding a mace now.
Searmin

[Sep 22, 2011 2:29:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

Searmin wrote: 

But why speak it then? There are lots of unspoken rules that don't need to be mentioned (pretty much by definition). It was in a post about how you voted abstain right away and didn't feel the need to wait, but it wasn't about that?

Well, I don't really know. I guess just to explain why I hadn't done it with my slightly earlier post.
As to the bolded bit- I don't quite understand what you are asking there, if you could make it a bit more obvious, I would thank you.

The people about there, had they been awake instead of asleep, at other times would have seen even stranger things. Some day, but not at this time, I shall make an announcement of something that I never once dreamed of.

[Sep 22, 2011 2:31:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

Okay, that makes more sense.

I was trying to understand the motivation behind that line. The motivation is that you made a post but didn't vote, and then voted in your second post. The reason you voted in your second post and not the first is because the first was on the first page so you waited until it ticked over to the second page.

I was confused because the only motivation I saw was relating to your own vote, and you had already said that it wasn't a statement about your own vote being not serious. So I thought you were saying it wasn't at all about your own vote, but then it loses meaning in other senses.

The bolded portion is just me trying to figure out what the comment was about, because you had already said it wasn't about your early vote.

Thanks for the clarification.

As an aside, in terms of not voting on the first page...voting on the second page isn't much of a change. Generally, I'd describe the unspoken rule as being more related to waiting to vote until there's been some game discussion rather than until we've had a set number of posts. Many games ago there was a discussion about cheese that took up a good portion of the first 50-100 posts.
Searmin

[Sep 22, 2011 2:42:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

(( 24 hours behind, I know it's night, but I thought the rules said we can post at night. Should be caught up soon.))

My FOS's: Quitex, and TheRack.

Q, for the whole "I am not a rogue" thing.
The Rack for the whole "Maybe we're all roleless until we do something" -- the whole point of "Choose your book, and determine your role" seemed obvious as soon as it was stated.

"Right, crew. All of you take a book. I don't care which, but read them and report back to me or Furare. I want to figure out what's going on here."

As for myself, my book was just a journal. Nothing particularly useful. Guy named Cuwen had a new way of teaching and writing music. All I can do is attempt to gather information at night, just like a bunch of people.

But notice how that doesn't identify me as a role holder, a roleless, or a rogue. Just someone slightly out of sanity for saying something about it at all.

Meanwhile, are the rest of the Loyal Crewmates going to report back, as instructed by Our Captain, about what they read?

(Any similarities to Loyal Citizens and The Computer is purely your mind's chaos :-).

Why would rogues be able to hunt for clues to help the town?

Maybe they want to find out what the town really found out. You know, just because someone says "I found X" doesn't mean that that's the real discovery. If multiple people find the truth, then hey, there you go. If the rogues find out Y, and some else reports X, then the rogues gain information for use against another person, to cast suspicion and doubt.

After all, would these fine GM's really design a game where at most one person can discover a truth, where it's not possible for two people to independently get an answer?

We havent had much more than meta and suspicion based off meta, have we?

Vote: Behindcurtai

Tee hee. Very well, yes, I generally am a meta player. Can't help it. It's my nature.

wrecker15 wrote: 
Playing two Days isn't much longer than playing one Day =P

It gives people a chance to use their abilities and report back, contributing to The Town's Loyal Effort.

(sorry, I'm starting a paranoia campaign series of one-offs at the local gaming store, and it's a mood thing )

Ok, please tell me: Who is Smileo besides Smileo? I just remember him as a good roleplaying Owl.

(Ahh: Enzo is Smileo? Yes, their posting style does seem eerily similar.)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 22, 2011 2:51:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

BC wrote: 
My FOS's: Quitex, and TheRack.

Q, for the whole "I am not a rogue" thing.

BC wrote: 

As for myself, my book was just a journal. Nothing particularly useful. Guy named Cuwen had a new way of teaching and writing music. All I can do is attempt to gather information at night, just like a bunch of people.

So, you don't like how Quitex roleclaimed, and then did it yourself?

BC wrote: 

Meanwhile, are the rest of the Loyal Crewmates going to report back, as instructed by Our Captain, about what they read?

This reads like perfect role fishing, and not much else.

All of this together makes me extremely suspicious, and I

[Sep 22, 2011 3:09:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

... leave my sentences unfinished. ew.
I was going to say, I would be willing to put a vote on him.

[Sep 22, 2011 3:12:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

BC wrote: 

Furare wrote: 
PM the top 3 you'd be interested in reading to the Mods. DO NOT POST THEM IN THE THREAD.

No thanks.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Sep 22, 2011 3:17:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

I think we probably should minimize how much we're talking about the specific content of the books we chose. My impression is that way game exploitation lies.
Searmin

[Sep 22, 2011 3:22:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Some people seem to be confused as to how an abstain vote works in the vote totals, unless I'm misinterpreting. That aside, it did bring up something interesting - playing the "Let me get out of your way while you vote for people!" card. That, to me, is early game rogue to a T. I can forgive Sniper a bit for still being new, but I figure TMBC should know better.

Just the opposite. I know that people get upset if a vote is blocked because there are not enough votes cast. I also know that I would not get back before the deadline.

I'm actually trying to be a co-operating townie, not in the way of anything the town does while I cannot help directly.

The whole issue with the roles this game is the insanity cost. Everything extra is tied to it, so it will be more difficult to reach to the information we need.

Not true. In normal games, you are told you can use your power N times. Here, N is a moderator secret.

BC wrote: 

Furare wrote: 
PM the top 3 you'd be interested in reading to the Mods. DO NOT POST THEM IN THE THREAD.

No thanks.

You are correct. In the rules post, we were told not to list the three choices in the thread. However, in the game post, our captain did tell us to report back on what we read.

There's a difference between what we claim to want to read (three choices), and what we claim that we actually read (captain's instructions)

Is it fishing for information? Absolutely. Think of it this way: If every townie reports something harmless, and no one tries to say "Hey, that was my book, you lier", then we know that the remaining harmful books are rogues.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 22, 2011 3:44:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

I had assumed a "no referencing the flavour of PMs" rule would be in force, but in light of BehindCurtai's post and subsequent discussion I chose to look at the rules in detail, and the only rule close to it is this:

The Rules wrote: 
- No player may post either screenshots or direct quotes of a moderator PM (or anything purporting to be such) for any reason whatsoever. Anyone disregarding this rule will be modlynched.

Which explicitly only prohibits screenshots and (purported) direct quotes. Interesting.

- Wondering where this might lead if within the rules, and fearing BC may be in some trouble if not, Nom.
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Sep 22, 2011 3:52:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

I feel like the spirit of the game rule is that if you're using specific information from PMs to try and suss out the rogues or roleholders on the basis of what they did or didn't get, it's against the rules.

That said, BC's suggestion doesn't work. At all. As he says, if all the townies report in we find out who the rogues are, but that requires us to know who the townies are.
Searmin

[Sep 22, 2011 3:58:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snipercam

I don't believe any of the flavour will actually give any insight into rogue/third parties. It's more a distraction to us than anything I feel. :/
Snipercam/two on Viridian. Mostly inactive. Owner of a Shipyard on Terra.

Various crews on various other oceans. Generally by the name of Snipercam.

If you need me, leave out a saucer of whisky.
[Sep 22, 2011 4:01:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

You'd be surprised.
Searmin

[Sep 22, 2011 4:15:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

BC wrote: 
However, in the game post, our captain did tell us to report back on what we read.

There's a difference between what we claim to want to read (three choices), and what we claim that we actually read (captain's instructions)

The part you quoted was where the captain says to report back to him or Furare. Not the whole town.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Sep 22, 2011 4:29:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I've already reported to the captain. Neener neener.

Ok, I'm going to really try to get this across right...

I was diagnosed with tendonitis. Specifically in the elbow. My doctor's low key solution was to prescribe a higher-than-normal dose of prednisone for 5 days; I'm on Day 2.

Problem is, prednisone makes me really, really, really wound up. I read fast, that's not the issue, but some of you will remember how I've said that you have 'voices' in my head when I read your posts? Yeah, you're all talking as fast as the Micromachine Man. Please to be stopping it. On the plus side, my elbow doesn't hurt...or if it does, I don't give a rat's patootie.

It will also probably lead to some off the wall posts that will make you think I'm loaded. Well, I AM. I will try to do my best to NOT be terribly annoying. Man, I've never typed this fast EVER, and I haven't had to hit backspace at all! It's a record!

@Sear ->> If you photoshop that, I wanna see it!

I think I missed TMBC too. He always has a nice spin on things.
Jolyma

[Sep 22, 2011 6:00:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

I always knew you were secretly a druggy.
Searmin

[Sep 22, 2011 6:08:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furare

Good morning and welcome to Day 2.

bethieboo has replaced the inactive Erissar.

Ban Notice:

The Rogue closed the door behind them and locked it. "No one can hear you," she said calmly. She took the gun from her bag. "You or this."
Luvessy smiled innocently. "There are lots of us, though. Lots more than here." She put one small scrubbed hand on the paper-tray of the mimeograph machine. "Would you like to see me change again?" Before she could speak, Luvessy's face began to shimmer into the grotesqueness beneath and The Rogue shot her. Once. In the head. She fell back against the paper-lined shelves and slid down to the floor, a little dead girl with a round black hole above her right eye.

Luvessy has been banned.

Your next lynch deadline is Sunday 25th September at 6:30AM PDT.

There are 26 players remaining; you require 20 votes total for the 75% quota, or 14 votes on the same player for a majority.
Amonet on Obsidian. Dracina everywhere else.

Now only mostly retired.

[Sep 22, 2011 6:33:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

First off, for the actions that took place during the night, Behind Curtai has jumped to the very top of my FoS list, and thus deserves a
Vote:BehindCurtai

In regards to the ban posting-
Since when have Rogues used guns? This seems out of the ordinary, as rogues traditionally use bansticks.

[Sep 22, 2011 6:39:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

I'm going to assume that the use of a gun in an island tale falls under the umbrella of thematic fluff, so I will not be looking at it too closely.

I really don't know what to think of BC's night posts. I do feel the same way as yesterday about his day posts, though. I just don't see how his night posts make any sense, regardless of his alignment. The risk/reward is way off-balance in either case.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Sep 22, 2011 6:47:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ghadhean

Re: TMBC

I have a hard time believing that an innocent townie, who is also an experienced player and game moderator, would come into this game looking for a way to break it.

I could possibly see it as a rogue ploy to suss out the town roleholders. Or, more likely, just an innocent-looking scheme that no-one would ever agree to.
High FOS

I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.

North by Northwest
[Sep 22, 2011 7:01:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Wrecker wrote: 
Lcawte was a rogue when??

Ogres gone Roguer.

Wrecker wrote: 
On a re-read, what's RI? Roleless innocent?

Yes.

Pot:
BC wrote: 
"My FOS's: Quitex, and TheRack."
Meet Kettle:
BC wrote: 
"Q, for the whole "I am not a rogue" thing."

Like, seriously?

Bethieboo!!!! *squeeee*

And, basically, my top suspicion right now is Therack and BC. Goats is a third, distant suspicion.

By the way, PDT is Pacific? I am Mountain (until DLS when I become Central. When is DLS?) so I need to know what would be the time for nightfall for me. Fanks :3
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Sep 22, 2011 7:18:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yog_Sothoth

My opinion of my whole experience varies from time to time.

I think Searmin is right about the things role players should watch out for. I do not trust BehindCurtai's role claim. I don't understand why he posted all that. I thought Quitex' claim was kind of weird, but not as weird as BehindCurtai's. I'm pretty sure the part about "report back" was just story talk for sending the PM choosing the books. I don't think we were supposed to all post what our books were about.
"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight."
[Sep 22, 2011 7:29:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 2018   Pages: 68   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates