• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 155
Posts: 155   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 47178 times and has 154 replies Next Thread
Skal

Re: Design the Oceans! Deadline 12/12 Open to All

Malagata wrote: 

I could solve some of the small troubles, though still investigating how to get a rounded corner of the island...and as a curiosity I used a small turtle, on the docks...well when trying to erase the turtle I erased the docks, the sand, but not the turtle:/

The turtle is an Object. To erase it, you must right-click while you have an Object item selected in the list on the left hand side of the screen. (If you have one of the ground tiles selected, it will erase the ground instead.)
----------------------------------------
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Dec 2, 2004 1:31:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Malagata

Thanks Skal! :) By the way I love your avatar hehe..

Well I have one island finished, but when I tried to put the buildings (medium colonizable) on it, wow, they didn't fit in. Snifff... But, in the small miniview map, this island shows as of good size, so, I would need someone that has more xp here than me, to just check on it, pls let me know , so I can send an e-mail, with the xml file .

Thanks a lot ! :)

Malagata

Cheers, and no Tears!
" Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird , that cannot fly-"
[Dec 3, 2004 1:34:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    floresdelsol1@yahoo.com.ar [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Nemo wrote: 
[size=18]Official Wood Change:
Wood will now be three times the previously posted numbers. You will need triple the number of oak trees previously noted. This should let you get a bit more of a grove growing.

[Dec 3, 2004 1:55:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Nemo wrote: 
Wood will now be three times the previously posted numbers. You will need triple the number of oak trees previously noted. This should let you get a bit more of a grove growing.

Oh really? *Sigh*. If anybody needs me, I'll be busy clear-cutting willows on Yax Mutal.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Dec 3, 2004 2:10:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Merridian

I'd like to use the marble staircase outdoors. Will this be acceptable? They look really shiek with the solid rock tile!
Merridian, Dark Illuminati

"Swabby bring my helping of brains in a clean bucket!" - The Dead Captain, to the Crew
[Dec 3, 2004 2:16:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Merridian wrote: 
I'd like to use the marble staircase outdoors. Will this be acceptable? They look really shiek with the solid rock tile!

You do whatever you like on your own. The islands for the competition should be virgin.
[Dec 3, 2004 3:23:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Merridian wrote: 

I had a cool effect for the staircases outside, but was ultimately "encouraged" to remove them if I wanted a chance at winning. You can see my implementation in the critique thread where early versions of Forbidden Isle are posted.

Ultimately, I think I like the natural slopes to give the illusion of height better than the stairs. But I still really liked my stairs.. :)
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Dec 3, 2004 4:16:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Merridian

Nemo wrote: 
Merridian wrote: 

You do whatever you like on your own. The islands for the competition should be virgin.

One more issue, I used Sugarcane instead of trees because it looks like bamboo. There no sugar cane in the required commodities for the island I am attempting. Would it be advisable to change all the sugarcane to regular trees?

Please advise.
Merridian, Dark Illuminati

"Swabby bring my helping of brains in a clean bucket!" - The Dead Captain, to the Crew
[Dec 3, 2004 4:52:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Merridian wrote: 
One more issue, I used Sugarcane instead of trees because it looks like bamboo. There no sugar cane in the required commodities for the island I am attempting. Would it be advisable to change all the sugarcane to regular trees?

Please advise.

My understanding is that the commods listed in the competition are not minimums so much as hard fact. If Cane is not listed, stay away from it.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Dec 3, 2004 5:14:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

Nemo wrote: 
Nemo wrote: 

YAY i was thinking it was looking a little small.

Also i've noticed that there is 90 cane on Lagniappe and island #5 which has the most cane only has 24. Is there going to be a change in the formatting of commods in the new ocean?
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Dec 3, 2004 5:20:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

bel_pirates wrote: 
My understanding is that the commods listed in the competition are not minimums so much as hard fact. If Cane is not listed, stay away from it.

char wrote: 
Is there going to be a change in the formatting of commods in the new ocean?

Yes.
[Dec 3, 2004 5:53:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bloody_Maddy

This is such a fun program.. awesome job guys! I'm pretty much obsessed with it at the worst possible time (finals...)

/me wonders if they need a RISD graphic design intern over the summer...
Bloodymaddy
SO of Foiled Again
Lady of What the Falchion in Cobalt
[Dec 4, 2004 11:35:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ParrotPirate

heheheheh, Im ready. |Uh OH!|

ok my islands all decked out, now heres the problem, How do i post the image, i cant just copy paste, and my art programs wont accept the image ,even if i changethe file type to bmp, i really wanna be in this contest i think i have a chance at the island im doing, someone help me please, Oh and one other thing in the requireents for my island it incluse , Lily of the valley but i cant find them in the editor anyone know where it is.
[Dec 6, 2004 1:22:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Heck, this is a game all in itself

Heck you guys, this new toy is a whole new game in itself, I may just disappear into it for a bit....
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Dec 6, 2004 2:17:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: heheheheh, Im ready. |Uh OH!|

ParrotPirate wrote: 
ok my islands all decked out, now heres the problem, How do i post the image, i cant just copy paste, and my art programs wont accept the image ,even if i changethe file type to bmp, i really wanna be in this contest i think i have a chance at the island im doing, someone help me please, Oh and one other thing in the requireents for my island it incluse , Lily of the valley but i cant find them in the editor anyone know where it is.

Most of your questions can be found by following the links to Editor Basics and Island Advice at the beginning of this thread. Read them carefully.

As for posting your images, you don't need your art programs. You just need to have someone with a website host your Overview Map image, or host it yourself on a site like www.photobucket.com
[Dec 6, 2004 3:38:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Obaba

My unfortunate situation...

I love the editor. I would love to make something, anything with it...
I have a little island with one building and it either crashes my comp or takes so long to render that I fall asleep while it finishes.
Zzzz...
Sad. If I had an upgrade, I'd be rollin' with you guys. But I love the work you're doing and good luck to all of ye.

*Obaba sits on the sidelines and cheers ye all on.

Toji - Captain of "The Depths"
Obaba - Fleet Officer and Muse of "Le Freccette"
YPP Comic- The Depths of Midnight
Avvie by Pogo
[Dec 8, 2004 8:12:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://obabashut.com    Toji no Boushi [Link]  Go to top 
Cleiades

submissions

Ok so I've been staring at my island for sometime now and there are certain details about it that have been bugging me. I made some corrections though not exceptionally different, just moving some plants around for easier walking/building/aesthetics or rounding off the odd ground tile. I still have the other one saved just as its posted now, and its not like the more recent one is very different--but should I re-submit?
Pleione, Midnight
Ione, Viridian
[Dec 11, 2004 8:18:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

You can just change your image file.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Finish!

Glorious! You're all shaping up to be such lovely demigods. From your shaky beginnings to your triumphant masterpieces, it's been lovely watching you play with our toys.

One of the best parts of this contest is that everyone wins. You still get the editor and you can keep making islands. In fact, many of you can even make more for the game. More on that later.

[size=18]The Winning Islands
Islands were chosen based on how well they fit the needs laid out in the rules and island descriptions, as well as on style and creativity.

Most islands will need some reworking for implementation. In some cases, we went with the island assuming rework. If, for some reason, an entrant doesn't undertake the necessary reworking (though usually it's not much), a runner-up may be chosen.

• ]Jade Island 1 Pleione
    • ]Full Colonizable
    • ]Dense forest and waving fields
    • ]Commodities: 66 (previously 22) wood, 18 hemp, 5 nettle[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 2 Akkhi
      • ]Full Colonizable
      • ]Clumps of forest divided by rocky spires
      • ]Commodities: 57 (previously 19) wood, 22 stone, 5 pokeweed[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 3 Beryl
        • ]Full Colonizable
        • ]Humid forests guarding swampy clearings
        • ]Commodities: 48 (previously 16) wood, 16 cane, 5 iris root, 5 cubanite[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 4 Waterbug
          • ]Full Colonizable
          • ]Rocky fields rising to an earthy plateau with sparse trees
          • ]Commodities: 20 stone, 22 iron, 5 butterfly weed[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 5 Shantybones
            • ]Full Colonizable
            • ]Broad fields with waves of low vegetation
            • ]Commodities: 24 cane, 19 hemp, 5 lily of the valley[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 6 Weaver
              • ]Medium Colonizable
              • ]Earthy fields with threadbare patches letting the rock poke through
              • ]Commodities: 18 iron, 10 stone, 5 weld[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 7 Queanie
                • ]Medium Colonizable
                • ]Jungle... and papagoite!
                • ]Commodities: 24 (previously 8) wood, 1-20 papagoite[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 8 Hempline
                  • ]Medium Colonizable
                  • ]Bubbling swamps pooling between rocky ledges
                  • ]Commodities: 11 cane, 7 iron, 5 thorianite[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 9 Rubby
                    • ]Medium Colonizable
                    • ]A bleak and windy rock
                    • ]Commodities: 10 iron, 10 stone, 5 cowslip[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 10 Ryanne
                      • ]Medium Colonizable
                      • ]Waves of dunes sheltering low foliage
                      • ]Commodities: 9 hemp, 9 cane, 5 lobelia[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 11 Dravlid
                        • ]Outpost
                        • ]A small, forested islet surrounded by sheer rock spires
                        • ]Commodities: 9 (previously 3) wood, 6 hemp, 5 old man's beard[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 12 Badlass
                          • ]Outpost
                          • ]Thick jungle prevents a good-sized isle from being more habitable
                          • ]Commodities: 2 cane, 2 hemp, 5 tellurium[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 13 Nazdar
                            • ]Outpost
                            • ]A tiny sand bar with a foothold of surprising flora
                            • ]Commodities: 4 hemp, 5 madder[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 14 Nazdar
                              • ]Outpost
                              • ]Sand twists between the rocks, forming a small isle
                              • ]Commodities: 5 iron, 5 broomflower[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 15 Ryanne
                                • ]Outpost
                                • ]A rocky cove overrun with jungle hides... yarrow!
                                • ]Commodities: 9 (previously 3) wood, 1-20 yarrow[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 16 Grimes
                                  • ]Outpost
                                  • ]Swampy jungle forces construction on the beaches.
                                  • ]Commodities: 3 hemp, 5 leushite[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 17 Damienroc
                                    • ]Outpost
                                    • ]Shifting sands
                                    • ]Commodities: 5 elderberries, 5 sincosite[/list:u:174e7c3843]

• ]Jade Island 18 Baarz
                                      • ]Outpost
                                      • ]The rock
                                      • ]Commodities: 5 serandite[/list:u:174e7c3843][/list:u:174e7c3843]

Well done!

[size=18]But wait!
                                        There's more!

In addition to this contest, all island winners are automatically eligible to make more islands in the new ocean. There are two more archipelagos to fill!

But!

Some of you got edged out in the high-competition islands, but are no less deserving of inclusion in our little band of island elves. Perhaps even reworking your submitted island for a different archipelago.

Honorable Menetions (no particular order):

Mars
                                        Argonaut
                                        Whoisyou
                                        Plundercat
                                        Odm
                                        Callistan
                                        Drusilla
                                        Sadiekate
                                        Yngvild
                                        Booful
                                        Tamsin
                                        Belgarion
                                        Emerson

Congratulations!

[size=18]But wait!
                                        There's more!

You can still join in the fun and have a shot at an island in the ocean! Post in the new Beat The Champs Island Thread for a chance to join the island creation team. If we notice islands in that thread that are better than those being made, we'll invite you to come along.

There are a few of you in particular I'd love to see a second island from:

Sabata
                                        Caspian
                                        Razzledazzle
                                        Ruteger

[size=18]Thanks everyone for playing!
                                        Special thanks to Artemis for helping everyone improve with her wonderful critiques and helping me organize all this!

I hope you all had fun with the Scene Editor, and continue to play with it.
                                        [Edit 2 times, last edit by Nemo at Dec 13, 2004 11:08:47 AM]
[Dec 13, 2004 11:08:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manaweb

/em sniffs

Ye hated mine.

:(
My mana is srinking.
[Dec 13, 2004 11:33:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amyliz33

Two questions:
  • ]How will we find out what reworking needs to be done on our islands?
  • ]Can we get the adventure tiles (and others) you removed put back into the island editor?[/list:u:d5ae930118]Thanks!
    -Nazdar
    Nazdar & Amyliz
[Dec 13, 2004 11:43:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leeksoup

Mine sucked! Woohoo!

Scylira,
Yes, still cheerful
-Scylira, mostly retired
ponytailguy wrote: 
Yarr, me harties, let me go grab my knitting needles!

Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
[Dec 13, 2004 12:01:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

manaweb wrote: 
Ye hated mine.

No.
Leeksoup wrote: 
Yes, still cheerful

Yes!
amyliz wrote: 
Two questions:
  • ] How will we find out what reworking needs to be done on our islands?
  • ]Can we get the adventure tiles (and others) you removed put back into the island editor?[/list:u:aa4e74f53c]

• ]Ask me
  • ]No. You won't need them.[/list:u:aa4e74f53c]
[Dec 13, 2004 12:26:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manaweb

Ye know I am just fooling with ye Nemo.

/emote gives Nemo a hug and a pat on the head.

Cheers

Now I can design a real island without the restrictions
My mana is srinking.
[Dec 13, 2004 12:49:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manaweb

Designing:

Barren's Adventure Island

(Trust me thar will be a Black Ship thar)
My mana is srinking.
[Dec 13, 2004 12:52:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Queanie

Goodness me! (to quote one of our literary favourites Mr LeJerque)

I'm ... well I'm speechless ... tis an honour to be selected out of some excellent competition. Yarrr!

Congratulations to everyone!

So Nemo.. when ye say to ask ye about what reworking if any is required would that be via PM or is here in the forum acceptable?

I've been grinning like an idiot at my desk for the last 1/2 hour and my coworkers.. well they think I'm just a strange geeky girl. Hurrah!

Jez
~ looking forward to more island designing fun :D

Edit: So I'll forgive ye for spelling me username wrong - tis Queanie (and this spelling is a real word with a meaning pretty much the opposite of Queen as in royal female.. hee hee)
Jezabella
Supposedly retired, but recently seen skulking around on various botes
[Dec 13, 2004 1:52:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Re: Finish!

Nemo wrote: 

Jade Island 16 Grimes

booched link. That connects to Ryanne's #15.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Dec 13, 2004 2:23:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zindy

Congratulation to all winners!

I - not winner - feel proud for being mentioned for my first and quick (i just found out about this on friday) work.
Thank ye for a second chance!

/me runs studying the wining entries to learn!
The winner is Notorious Fandango. - and puff! and gone ;)

certified ZombDango . notorious.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate+Sabata [Link]  Go to top 
starstx33

Re: Finish!

Yay to the winners! Most excellent Islands...
Its going to be one 'perty ocean!

Of course, now Nemo's given the oportunity to give you a run for your mon.... er... street cred?
/me grins and starts the Island Editor back on up.
Caspian: Dodging metaphorical bullets since 1984
New and improved: Caspianne coming to a Malachite near you!
[Dec 13, 2004 6:03:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    starstx33 [Link]  Go to top 
Weaver

Nemo wrote: 
In addition to this contest, all island winners are automatically eligible to make more islands in the new ocean. There are two more archipelagos to fill!

Sweet! I hadn't had much time to play, and I've caught the bug =)

Loretta (Nick Cave) wrote: 
They ask me if I feel remorse and I answer, why of course!
There is so much more I could have done if they'd let me!

Weaver - First Mate of Orange Revolution, Prince of Crimson Tide
Sword Patterns
[Dec 13, 2004 7:32:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://weaver.merold.net/pirates/swordcolours.php?sword=All [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 155   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates