• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2077 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
lcawte

XML that Photograph! (Judges, Advice and Ideas needed) Reply to this Post

This is an updated draft of my event, taking into account advice I had from the Old Thread... I am hoping of running this on all oceans, so I'm going to be asking for OM support.

(NOTE: This is not the event post, this is just a planning thread):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XML that Photograph!
What: A photography and Tools event! Contestants have to take a outdoor photograph in real life and use Yohoho! Tools to recreate it.

The Photo
Contestants need to take 2 photos, one being an identification photo, containing their name and ocean, the other one being the scene. You must take a photo of an outdoors area, for example: a forest; a farm; a backyard; a street; or whatever else you would like to do. Remember that you must be able to recreate it with the tiles available in the latest edition of Yohoho! Tools...

Yohoho Tools Challenge
Right, so you have your photograph, now its time to create the XML... we do this by using Yohoho! Tools, it may take some time to do this, so don't leave it until the last minute, and it is worth checking what you can do in tools before you go and photograph some modern huge complicated scene! Once you've completed your scene, save the XML file, and the overview map and upload them to <place>

Prizes

• 1st Place: ''Photographer Package'' - A Dhow (renamed?), stocked with a decent amount of stock. Also includes 2 full whisking potions and a inscribed trinket (exotic coffee)...
  • 2nd Place: ''Designer Package'' - A stocked sloop (renamed), fancy chair, a fancy book desk, a set of books and a portrait easel to draw your designs at. Also comes with an inscribed scroll with recommendations from all your previous employers.
  • 3rd Place: ''The Campers Package'' - A few things you pack on your quest to take photo's and construct some of the worlds wonders. Your not quite there yet, but your ever hopeful. A little chest to store your earnings, 2 rum jugs for water, bedroll and a slated crate to sit on. And a plate of cookies and some eggs to munch on!
  • Honourable Mentions: 1000 Pieces of Eight

Judging
Photograph (11 points)

• Finish (5 points) - Yes, that means your can touch up your scene photo a little bit... photoshop, GIMP, whatever you like!
  • Complexity/Effectiveness (5 points) - Is your scene to complex or too simple to be effective?
  • Judges Choice (1 point) - Is this the judges favourite or not?

Yohoho! Tools Challenge (13 points)

• Similarity (10 points) - Does your scene look similar to your photo?
  • Complexity/Effectiveness (2 points) - Is your scene on tools a good reflection of your photograph, and is it too simple or complex to do the photograph justice?
  • Judges Choice (1 point) - Is this the judges favourite or not?

Overall (4 points)

• Photography Skill (1 point) - Has their entry shown skill or some level of ability?
  • Yohoho! Tools Skill (1 point) - Has the entry shown they have some skill with the Tools, or tried to understand them?
  • Format (1 point) - Have they filled out their entry correctly?
  • Judges Opinion (1 point) - Overall, do you like this entry?

Other Rules

• Avoid taking photographs of people, these is because you cannot put them back in the scene with Yohoho! Tools, and you may get in trouble.
  • You may enter as many times as you like, but only claim one prize set...
  • Judges can enter, but not win a prize!

-------------------------------------
The event would run for 1 month or two, to give entrants time to go find a nice scene. They'd be able to enter as many times as they wish, but only being able to get one set of prizes...

Needed
- 2 or 4 judges (with either photography or Yohoho! Tools experience)
- Ideas for renames (when it comes down to it, I'm not that creative, and I'm no good with names, I need some decent rename ideas that the OMs would be able to do for me...)
- I'll edit in anything else I think of.

I've tried to follow advice from the old thread, but if I've missed anything, poke me...
----------------------------------------
Lcawte All Oceans
Sage: Lcawte - Captain Of Scottish Seadogs , King Of Scottish Seakings
[Edit 8 times, last edit by lcawte at Apr 18, 2011 4:33:46 AM]
[Apr 18, 2011 2:02:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.lewiscawte.me [Link]  Go to top 
Captainnkid

Re: XML that Photograph! (Judges, Advice and Ideas needed) Reply to this Post

Hello Pirates! Thank you looking this up. Some other details i would like to throw towards this event would be : (Oh and by the way, I am one of the judges for the event)

1) Contestants would need to upload all the three images to the entry thread. (First image - The image ye have clicked, the real-life image. Second Image - The Image ye created using Yohoho! Tools & Third Image - Is the ID picture). This format of entry is compulsory. There will be a fixed image size which will be given to ye shortly. Also, the entry thread is getting prepared and should be up soon :)

2) If you have any queries, Ye can submit it by posting a Private-Message (PM) to Icawte.

3)

Finish (5 points) - Yes, that means your can touch up your scene photo a little bit... photoshop, GIMP, whatever you like!

I want to make sure that it is only LITTLE BIT. Judges / Organizers have the right to disqualify any entry if they find a lot of third party interference in the image. We will be elaborating on this point in the event thread and make sure ye read it properly.

- To be updated frequently
Captainnkid on all oceans.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Captainnkid at Apr 18, 2011 4:32:35 AM]
[Apr 18, 2011 4:22:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Widsithgrey

I don't have advice and don't think I remotely qualify as a judge, but wanted to say I think it sounds like an awesome idea. I hope you're able to polish it off and run it!

On second thought, looking at this as someone who hasn't used the tools before, you might want to include some short spiel about where to get Yohoho! Tools and using them. I noticed in other events that people using them for the first time sometimes had difficulty in downloading it, etc. and it might be helpful to address that in the beginning, linking them to the download and help on YPPedia or helpful threads here on the forum?
McShabby of Meridian
[Apr 28, 2011 9:07:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captainnkid

Widsithgrey wrote:

I don't have advice and don't think I remotely qualify as a judge, but wanted to say I think it sounds like an awesome idea. I hope you're able to polish it off and run it!

On second thought, looking at this as someone who hasn't used the tools before, you might want to include some short spiel about where to get Yohoho! Tools and using them. I noticed in other events that people using them for the first time sometimes had difficulty in downloading it, etc. and it might be helpful to address that in the beginning, linking them to the download and help on YPPedia or helpful threads here on the forum?

Yes, i had that in the mind. All details about Yohoho! Tools are given below:

The YPPedia Page on Yohoho! Tools:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Yohoho_Tools

Yohoho! Tools Controls:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Yohoho_Tools#Using_Yohoho_Tools

Facing Problems with Yohoho! Tools? Visit:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=17403

If you have any other queries, ye may post it below too!
Captainnkid on all oceans.
[Apr 29, 2011 3:24:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

For ship names...
Plug thy ears, O faint of heart and low of blood pressure!
Here goes:

Creative Flashbulb
(Photography package)

Innovative Blueprint
(Designer Package)

Like?

Great Event, by the way :)
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CillisC123 at May 1, 2011 9:07:25 PM]
[May 1, 2011 9:05:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Standard, or custom for renames?

The first one that pops into my head is Happy Snapper.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[May 1, 2011 10:28:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laladibla

I have had a small bit of experience with Photography in the past and would be happy to help if you needed it =). One day I hope that a thread like this may even influence some islands in-game!

I'm sure I'd be able to help you obtain shanghais for your renames on at least one ocean (if you plan for a full not half rename) as I have a few spare accounts which I haven't purchased doubloons/ a subscription on, and I can't think of a better way to use them as I never really used my shanghais anyway.

I don't think I'm very creative when It comes to naming sloops either, but I do agree with "Creative Flashbulb". Perhaps a boat called the "Deviant Artist"?

If you haven't already, I do suggest making a very clear plan of when you are going to set out this event. It's always good to keep a deadline, and it gets things accomplished sooner.

Good luck with this! Also, I think you can include pirates into your scene as well, using ScenePainter. I don't know the exact details but I'm sure if you had a look around the forums or the third party tools list, you'd be able to find exactly what you need =).
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[May 2, 2011 4:03:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates