• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2543 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Bramhall

A question about art contests Reply to this Post

Many of the art contests I've seen recently have stated that all work must be original. So, I'm wondering does that mean that the end product is original, or that all the ingredients towards making that product must be? Also, would it make a difference if all the ingredients in the picture are copyright free?

For example, if I made a college in real life, I might cut letters out of magazines or use other found items. Usually in doing my artwork, I use my own items only, but occassionally I want to use something that I have no way of copying...for example:

[size=7]?2004 Bramhall Corners
----------------------------------------
Teeg
Donivin says, "let me be your hearty"
Sheepish Ernest says, "Bah."
[Dec 6, 2004 1:32:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Re: A question about art contests Reply to this Post

I think the Red X is copyrighted.

So, that won't work for an art contest.
Markozeta
[Dec 6, 2004 2:30:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

Heh. That's actually a really good question. Most of the art contests do allow for a variety of art forms - as Markoman points out, I have no idea what you've posted as an example, but both collage & found objects have been valid in the past. Check out the 'prized parrot' thread for birds made from paint, pixels, yarn, pennies, legos, straws, and so much more. Still, I bet the answer depends on the contest.

I would suggest that if you had any questions about the validity of an entry, it would be a good idea to contact whoever is running the event and ask if it would be acceptable. It may even encourage them to be a bit more specific in the rules or post a clarification- which is always nice for other folks that may have the same questions.

For example, this 'art contest' that's wrapping up (results coming soon!) has the 'original work' rule. Since it's a photography-centric contest, what that meant was that I expected entrants to take the pictures themselves, or to collaborate with the photographer on their entries. What I wanted to discourage was people submitting whatever photos Google turns up for 'beach' or 'island'. Does that make sense?
It's gingerbread and we love it.
[Dec 6, 2004 3:15:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

In the case of work like your link:
If the fact of it being a fattened Blue Boy is related to the point of the piece, then it's fine. But I'd also mention to anyone reading this that there is skill to collage just as there is skill in entirely original creation. Also, there is collage, and then there is Fark-style photoshopping. Unless specifically requested, the latter is usually unacceptable.
[Dec 6, 2004 3:24:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bramhall

Well, the blue boy was actually my not quite one year old son (his head at least) in the picture, and I added other elements to it too...the clock and the pepsi can...blueboy got fattened a bit to try to fit in more with the babish face. I'll admit, it's not one of my best works, but was one of best to illustrate my question, which I was afraid I hadn't asked as clearly as I would have liked.

Sorry if it's not showing up...it did on my screen, so I didn't think anyone else would have problems with it. I'm guessing that the direct page link worked, since Nemo saw the picture, so here's the link: http://www.photoblink.com/images/c20/im/pb110890.jpg.

Thanks for the quick answers. This started because I got an ad from one of the photography sites I frequent offering a special on copyright free pictures, and it got me wondering if we could use details from something like that for our entries into the contests...for example, if I used a picture I'd taken to do Drosselmeyer but used another photograph for the eye patch and then blended it all together to become a new, unique picture.

By the way, googling didn't turn up any usuable answer, so what is Fark-style photoshopping? Just curious. :)

Teeg
Teeg
[Dec 6, 2004 3:46:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

It sucks. Don't do that. <grin>
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Dec 6, 2004 5:54:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basnijenhuis

Does anyone has an example of that fark style?
or a link?
Retired
---------
[Dec 6, 2004 11:46:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StKittsSam

basnijenhuis wrote: 
Does anyone has an example of that fark style?
or a link?

http://www.fark.com
Sal of the Yo-Ho Yo-Yos
[Dec 7, 2004 12:25:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bramhall

Thanks so much for the link. Now that I've seen it, I realize I've actually seen this site before. But, if you don't mind me asking another question...is Fark style the obscene/raw humor material or simply the photoshopping of two items together?

Sorry if I'm seeming dense, I just don't want to work with assumptions and then at some future time find out that I'd misunderstood. :)

Thanks!
Teeg
Teeg
[Dec 8, 2004 1:58:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Mostly the difference is that, despite it being sometimes skillfully done, the Fark Photoshops are a straightforward pasting together of other people's content to make a joke. A collage is its own content, with the appropriated bits as supporting players, and the whole is greater than its parts.
[Dec 8, 2004 2:28:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates