• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 152
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32271 times and has 151 replies Next Thread
Wyf

Re: Octoscarf Knit*-Along! Win an Octopus. [Ends March 15th] Reply to this Post

This was everything but easy, so many great entries.

1. Falmari - I loved this one from the start, the creativity and the outcome is really amazing.

2. Snowimp - Love the colors and the whole thing, creativity on its best!

3. Sassafras - I really like the idea.
----------------------------------------
Marlenee on the Meridian Ocean.

[Mar 17, 2011 8:50:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seleennn

Seleenn
Imp
Adrielle
Seleenn on Meridian
The Evil Twin of Boysenberry ;)

[Mar 17, 2011 11:08:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
aimela

1. Aimela - gotta vote for myself - I am the one who wears it!
2. Jessoleil - I would totally wear this out and about - I love the colours
3. Abagaile - super super cute! and reproducable!
Aimela
Sometimes we know we shouldn't and that's exactly why we do.
[Mar 17, 2011 2:24:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jzasia

So glad I'm not judging.

Snowimp - just wow. I hated posting after you...
Rune - um. because.
Uchida - Love how wearable it is
rune of malachite

* fabulous avatar by the lovely Falmari
[Mar 17, 2011 4:43:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jzasia [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Votes... hard votes...

1. Topsail
2. Marlenee
3. Adrielle

/me thinks she has no chances of winning anything :( :P
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Mar 18, 2011 5:33:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Countrymommy

Re: Octoscarf Knit*-Along! Win an Octopus. [Judging in Progress] Reply to this Post

1. Abagaile - because I think my son makes the most adorable model ever! ;)
2. Sassafras - So neat!
3. SeLeenn - So cute!!
Abagaile of Emerald
~ Avatars by Apollo, Cattrin, Inghild, Angelira, Ecastasy, and Phillite ~
[Mar 18, 2011 7:08:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Annablue6

Re: Octoscarf Knit*-Along! Win an Octopus. [Judging in Progress] Reply to this Post

If I'm not too late for the votes for participant's choice, here they are:

1. Imp - Malachite - Love it!! I want one of these!

2. Sassafras - Midnight - The colors and the design are gorgeous!

3. Blacklilly - I already love my octo and she comes with me to work, so she deserves to be voted too!
[Mar 20, 2011 2:09:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ladyrayth

1. Nasrin of Midnight (I gotta vote for myself - so I can soothe my ego with a claim I had one vote anyway. :) Plus, it really is cuter in person than in the pics)
2. Chandice on Sage
3. Sassafras on Midnight

Really, really hard to pick. Every creation is so different and unique.
Nasrin
Midnight Ocean
Captain of Mist Spirits

Current Avatar by Darkfaery
[Mar 20, 2011 3:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Just a quick note to thank you all for getting those votes in. :) If you haven't voted yet for participant's choice and wish to do so, please try to get that posted in the next day or so. =D
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Avatar Thread | Finished Artsy Stuff | Sketches
[Mar 22, 2011 8:40:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
biapalha

We really should have more events like this one.
Maybe include sewing, knitting, embroidery and crochet as an option (but not more than 2 crafts in the same contest).

I think that the winner of one event might organize the next one, having 2nd and 3rd place as co-jurors.

This providing the participants are comfortable with receiving a lime of crates as a prize in case no god/ess gives some other items.
[Mar 30, 2011 7:23:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
hastrel

I am so bummed I missed out on this... Do you think we could do a cross-stitch or embroidery event?

It would be super cool to be able to create our own piratey pattern and work it out on cloth... OOOOOO OOOO I love doing quilting (Pillows .... ) That might work too LOL...

I don't get exciting about creating... really I don't :D
Amaret
Cobalt

Stop looking at it! It's MINE!
[Mar 31, 2011 1:12:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Love the idea of future similar events. :) I'd be happy to help put 'em together and provide the occasional leafy Tilinka Egg on Cobalt. ^^

Judges have narrowed it down to seven or so entries, and are currently deciding between knightly tournament, ninja deathmatch, or timed baking competition to reconcile our differences over rankings. (I'm hoping for knights since I'm pretty sure Marisu knows better ninjas than I do.)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
[Apr 4, 2011 9:59:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

I'm constantly amazed by the amount of talent my fellow pirates have, I don't envy your knight/ninja/baking tournament/deathmatch/competition. Just from reading the participants choices you can tell that each scarf appealed to someone and they are all so different, awesome, and unique!
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Apr 4, 2011 11:01:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Edit: EEP! I can't edit the first post. Stealth Winners Announced

Winners!

All right folks! After some strenuous staring at lovely projects and some careful reading of all your different processes and creative inspirations, we have finally put together a list of our top Octo-scarves. (You really, really, REALLY did not make this easy.)

So, after much wrangling, debating, and a little ninja vs. knight vs. kitchen action, here are our winners!

1. Sassafras of Midnight: Entrelac Octo-cowl: Cartographer Sytle!
I'll be the first to say that this isn't what I was thinking of when I said "octoscarf," but we love the creativity and thought that went into it! The entrelac is great, the octo is spiffy (and thanks for the pattern link - I feel the need to use it on a hat.. or wristbands.) Love, love, love the attack on Ruby archipelago.
Judge quotes: "LOVE!" and "So so so pretty"

Enjoy your lovely purple octopus!

2. Falmari of Malachite: The One True Tentacle
This is just adorable. We love the simple, wavy pattern and the cute little suckers. Lovely color combination, and a nice touch with the increases by four.
Judge quotes: "Tentacly!" "Simple, elegant, adorable" "Love (1)"

Have fun taking spinning lessons from the Clotho action figure! (I'm envious.) We've found a very comfy light green upholstered chair, a spinning wheel, and a dyer full of yellow dye to help ensure bright and sunny yarns.

3. Snowimp of Cobalt: The Octo-Habitat Hooded Scarf
Okay, I'll admit, this was my personal favorite. The cables! The glorious, chaotic, tangleriffic cables! The textures and colors in the reef are also a fantastic touch. I can just imagine fish and crabs tucked away in there.
Judge quote: "Adore! Love! Want to touch!"

To assist in supplying future knitting endeavors, we've found a lovely pair of sheep, a very intelligent sheepdog, and hired a Shepherdess to watch over them for you. (Her wages have only been paid through the year, though.)

Particpants' Choice:
Snowimp of Cobalt (with 8 votes and 19 points when weighted)

Now, there were a LOT of fabulous entries for this contest. Here's some of the judge's comments on other entries we where tying ourselves in knots over:

Chandice of Sage: The Ententacled Fair Isle Octos
"Pretty!" "Loved the colors and there are LOTS of octos on it!"

Fuzzykitty of Midnight: The Abstractly Lace Tentacles:
"Loopy and beautiful" "Great history -- Bruges lace!"

Biapalha of Sage: The glorious rainbow octo!
"Loved the colors, they speak to me" "It's very colorful and I just think it looks cool, and it gives an octopus feel without SCREAMING octopus, which is neat."

Rune of Malachite: The lovely tentacles
"Love (1)... or maybe love (5)!" "Fashionable!"

Participants' Choice Breakdown, Top Ten:
For this, I counted each vote as 1 point, and then I counted them as weighted (3, 2, 1) based on the order they were placed. Fortunately, both methods agreed on Snowimp's entry.

Snowimp, Cobalt: 8 votes, 19 weighted
Seleen, Viridian: 6 votes, 14 weighted
Sassafras, Midnight: 6 votes, 12 weighted
Marlenee, Viridian: 5 votes, 8 weighted
Aimela, Sage: 3 votes, 7 weighted
Jessoleil, Sage: 3 votes, 7 weighted
Falmari, Malachite: 3 votes, 6 weighted
Chandice, Sage: 3 votes, 6 weighted
Abagaile, Sage: 3 votes, 5 weighted
Blacklilly, Viridian: 3 votes, 5 weighted

A message has been sent to Apollo through the usual channels to arrange for prize delivery. With luck and minimal atmospheric distortion, the shinies will all reach their intended targets soon.

P.S. I've been mentally hashing out how to set up an on-going quarterly Craft-Along Challenge with previous winners choosing the next craft to be taken on, volunteer prize donation (hopefully with godly supplements), and perhaps formalizing the participant voting for winner selection. Thoughts?
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
[Edit 2 times, last edit by tilinka at Apr 10, 2011 9:04:06 AM]
[Apr 9, 2011 3:37:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
ladyrayth

Congrats to the winners!

Twas a fun contest!
Nasrin
Midnight Ocean
Captain of Mist Spirits

Current Avatar by Darkfaery
[Apr 9, 2011 4:04:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

stealth indeed!

Congratulations guys!

Sassafras - well deserved win, there was a lot of thought and complexity in that.
Falmari - yours is so lovely soft and snuggly looking! I want one.
I also want to say that I really liked Adrielle's little shoulder Octo.. Okay stopping now I understand why it was so hard for the judges, they all have something special :)

Thankees! <3

Edit to the PS : YES PLEASE. Happy to help if needed :)
Edit again: amg I need to learn to let things sink in before I reply. Thanks to everyone for the participants choice! <3 <3 <3
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Snowpixie at Apr 9, 2011 4:12:16 PM]
[Apr 9, 2011 4:06:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Hooray for everybody!!! :D
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Apr 9, 2011 6:46:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

Holy Carp! Thanks so much! :)

Everyone did such a good job on this I didn't think I'd be the winner. I have so much respect for all my fellow pirates on this one.

ETA: I think a quarterly crafty thing would be really great. It's always fun to take a theme and see what people do within the limitations given to them.
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by baast at Apr 9, 2011 7:34:20 PM]
[Apr 9, 2011 7:17:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
squeakykitty

A hearty congrats to the winners, and a thank you to everyone who entered, because I loved seeing the ideas people came up with!
Fuzzykitty on Midnight and sometimes Cobalt and Ice

Missing Pandora, the real fuzzy kitty, 1991-2009
[Apr 9, 2011 8:05:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

/me sneaks in and edits first post in between swooning over the fabulous entries
[Apr 9, 2011 9:10:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Congrats, pplz! And thanks Tilinka, for running this awesome event! :D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Apr 9, 2011 10:42:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
biapalha

Grats to the winners,:-)!!

I absolutely agree with 1st place because the technique matches the originality and it has a balanced high score in both judging standards.

The biggest problem when organizing a contest are prizes.
Agreeing on a craft or two and on a subject will be manageable.

Usually judging is difficult, but in order to make it faster, less stressful and more impartial, I´d have each juror give points from 1 to 10 to 'creativity', 'technique', 'appropriacy to theme', etc.

Then there'd be a debate if there is a tie. It is easy to fall in love with a piece of work and then another... If points are given as soon as the work is posted and according to the judging grid, judges can fall in love as much as they want and still be swift and fair.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by biapalha at Apr 10, 2011 6:35:03 AM]
[Apr 10, 2011 6:33:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

Whee!!! Congrats to all the winners!!

Just a side note Falmari from Malachite wants to receive the super spiffy Clotho action figure, not Falmari from Cobalt. ^.^
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Apr 10, 2011 7:40:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Thanks for the edit, Thalia!

Falmari - I'm almost positive the message I sent to Apollo said Malachite, but I'll send another to be sure. My head was in Cobalt for some reason.

Biapalha - Fortunately, years of avatar doodling have left me with a pretty decent pool of prize fodder on Cobalt and Midnight. Most of it is now Tilinka's leafy eggs from last year, but I'm egotistical enough to think those are pretty cool.

Judging has always been the most difficult part for me. I usually try to get people who are familiar with the medium and who have a variety of tastes in style, so that if we all fall madly in love with the same entries, they must have some transcendent "awesome" properties.

I flip back and forth between using a rubric-grid and having judges distribute a total number of points between their top 5 entries based on the criteria. Quality of technique and detail are particularly difficult given that we only have photos to work from, and so are usually turned into how neat a project is and what we know of the technique that went into it (hence judges who are familiar with the medium).

-------------
My considerations for setting it up: (should we move this to planning?)

-Don't want to come into competition with other player-run creative events. I think the easiest way to do this is to run it with a lengthier than usual time-frame (3 months?) and to keep prizes to player donations and inscribed trinkets.

-I'd like the systems for judging and prize distribution in place, simple, and clear enough that someone who has never run an event before wouldn't feel overly intimidated at the prospect of running one of these. (More event planners, yus!) Similar for the process to choose the next craft/event runner

-The entire process should be open to review and improvement.

-Some fail-safes in case disaster strikes.

I like the idea of having the previous winner pick the next project (can't be the same craft). Alternatively, we could have people interested in running the next one post their interest and chosen craft the week before the event ends, and then have voting on that as well as the Participants' Choice prize. I wouldn't want to limit voting on that to just participants, though... but I also want to avoid any forum-alt shenanigans.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
[Apr 10, 2011 10:04:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
biapalha

Sounds good,:-)

Crafts might celebrate the seasons. Next project might be due on the first day of Summer.

What about a patchwork bag as a homage to forage fruit?
Sewing as main craft, embroidery allowed.
It should be good patchwork, quilting optional - 30% of the points; relate to subject - 30% of the points; and be original, appealing, creative - 30% of the points. The last 10% would go to being wearable. I like to avoid museum items in such contests, but maybe that's just me. What I mean is that I am proposing a bag to carry all the stuff and not to hang in the hall and just be admired.

By the way, I think your awesome scarf would also make it to the winning list: it has got imagination, good technique, it's definitely wearable, funny and original.
[Apr 10, 2011 11:08:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Countrymommy

Congrats to all the winners! I really enjoyed this contest and loved looking at all the entries!
Abagaile of Emerald
~ Avatars by Apollo, Cattrin, Inghild, Angelira, Ecastasy, and Phillite ~
[Apr 10, 2011 2:30:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Moar events?

I would like a patchwork one too. We need library bags and since forum contests have taken over my life, it's the only way they're happening. :P

Also, some kind of spinning, because I need to learn that too.

What I really also need to learn to do is this clever Dexla thing with woolly stuff , can we have needle felting too? :D

<3
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Apr 20, 2011 12:37:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Proposal

Drowning in term projects! Glub glub glub. There's the idea for refining (and volunteers to make the next go of it?)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
[Apr 24, 2011 9:42:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
biapalha

Sassafras, say something,.-))!
[Apr 25, 2011 3:07:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
baast

oh sorry!
I like the patchwork idea a lot. I haven't really done any of it, so it would be a fun thing to learn.
Spinning would be awesome, I love it, just not sure it would be easy to judge....It's hard to compare certain types of yarn. Art yarn vs. workhorse etc. and not sure how you could make it related to piratey goodness.

Going to go read the proposal now. :)

Edit: Ok read now, it seemed pretty comprehensive and covered all the bases. I know I can probably cough up a sloop or something as a prize.
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by baast at Apr 25, 2011 8:12:23 PM]
[Apr 25, 2011 8:07:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates