• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1988 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
JSChromeboy

Yet another event rough draft Idea...please read and let me know what you think Reply to this Post

I know I am current;y running an event and that it will last awhile.

But with an overactive imagination like mine...I can't help but think of all sorts of cool ideas I would like to run.

My newest idea that I am thinking about is quite an intense one so i am posting here to get opinions from other event runners as to the potential for it to work.

My idea is pretty simple and is boiled down in a few sentences.

My idea is to have players shoot their humorous skits in video format, and posted to youtube based on in-game YPP interactions. There is so much material there and I would love to see what the other creative minds would be able to come up with.

The idea wold be have them create at least 3 minutes of humorous skit material...this could consist of one continuous skit or several shorter skits based around your pirate character.

This would challenge acting skills, creativity, humor, writing and above all a lot of fun would be had making these videos.

But here's the question...whats the reality that many people will be willing to do that?

That's what I'm asking, I need your thoughts and opinions.

Again this is a very rough idea and will be undergoing a lot of work...I just want to know what you all think.

Thanks.
----------------------------------------
Asheme - Malachite/Viridian Oceans - (2009 - 2011)
Mastorakis - Meridian Ocean - (2013 - present) that is all.....
[Apr 3, 2011 9:46:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Re: Yet another event rough draft Idea...please read and let me know what you think Reply to this Post

OK, I'll share my opinions. As long as everyone remembers that opinions are just that.

For the amount of work it takes, I think participation might be low. If the prize is a full color fam you'll probably get more entries but still, not a lot, and for a task this challenging, I would think a full color fam would be a worthy reward.
If I had to compare it to a recent event, I think participation might be similar to the Karaoke Kapers event Apollo just ran. Perhaps a tad higher, because people don't seem quite as bashful about being funny and acting up, as they do singing.

But some pirates are camera shy, and that might turn them off. Would you consider the use of puppets, or animation? That might also increase participation.

So it's easier to compare apples to apples, I would try to give a tad more direction in regards to the skit. Instead of just "humorous piratey", I would suggest a theme like, "One night at the Inn" or "My first trip to Atlantis"... something like that. That will also help give your contestants a place to start their thought process.

There was some performance events in the past - I'll have to go looking for them when I can - but checking those out might give you more to think about.

So, there you go - thoughts while I avoid work! Hope it helps a little?
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Apr 4, 2011 7:00:36 AM]
[Apr 4, 2011 6:58:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Re: Yet another event rough draft Idea...please read and let me know what you think Reply to this Post

I am thinking about this kind of stuff...

The reason i wanted it to be humorous/piratey and just leave it there was to totally leave the door open to the players as to what kinda of skits they create.

As to the difficulties you mentions I can see that.

I did think about adding animation into it or other forms of acting into it for those who are camera shy but wouldn't mind using their voices.

Plus i would most certainly provide ample entry time...like 2 months...so that pirates can gradually come up with good skits and things they might need for them.

I will be giving this idea a lot of thought over this month....I think it has potential...
[Apr 4, 2011 10:30:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

I had another idea in the same vein as this idea and I find myself thinking about which would be cooler.

Instead of humorous skits...how about a music video in whatever style you want.

I would provide 5-6 "piratey" songs to choose from and you then get to use your creativity to make props and or scenes...

Of course plenty of time would be needed for this one as well...

I like making mock music videos as a hobby with friends, I think this would be very cool...but I'm torn...

Any thoughts or comments?

You think this idea would have more entrants?
[Apr 8, 2011 10:08:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

lol!
Would you provide the songs? (So people don't have to also write the song?)
That would probably help attract more to entering! It's still of a challenge, but you cut the very difficult writing task out and that's a large part of my thinking the original idea was a tad too much work.

If you went this route, I'd lean toward allowing animation, puppets, working solo, or in groups (skits sounded like it required extra bodies - which could have been hard for some to coordinate). Perhaps draw the line and say - no animation from using puzzle pirates components (no game art allowed). I think it could be a lot of fun!

JUST my opinion though O.o
Dexla d'Midnight
[Apr 8, 2011 10:32:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Yes I would provide the songs from youtube...I have several in mind.

My thought is that that exactly...the music videos should consist of anything that is done in the real world...i.e.voice acting and puppets or just all out real acting.

But yes no game art game stuff is allowed...I think that would be very cool.

I'll give it some more thought.

The skits idea was cool but I agree with you that it could be too much work.
[Apr 8, 2011 12:29:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates