• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 901 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
SoulMotion12

Boardwalk Pirate Games Reply to this Post

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place...... (I'm not a regular poster) so NO spam please.... but I have this kind of crazy idea on how to improve the game, and increase the population maybe.

Ok, so what if we took one of these large uninhabited islands on Cobalt, and turned it into a very tawdry bawdy pirate boardwalk arcade? Flashing lights, extremely piratey themed, we could do games like... whack a pirate, the one where you fill balloons with water to do boat races, target shooting, the dunk a pirate booth, boardwalk sea bowling, maybe a fortune telling booth, etc...you get the idea, TONS of those kinds of games out there, essentially the same kinds of games that are found on boardwalks in carnivals and fairs, only pirate and ocean themed. Admission could be gained by tickets either bought or won through pillaging. Maybe even give away whacky type prizes for high winners or even let pirates buy a gaming booth. Poe could be traded for tokens to play the games with. The idea could be used to both stimulate more pirates into the game and the get people back out on the oceans to pillage more for the chance to win the admission tickets.
[Apr 4, 2011 1:07:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Baddmark

Re: Boardwalk Pirate Games Reply to this Post

Sounds too much like where I live. I come on here to escape from that. :)
[Apr 4, 2011 4:11:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xxesjayexx

i love the idea - it would put poe back into the ocean and give people something fun to do when thier crew isnt on that does not involve poker.

we could have major competions to design the games as well.
----------------------------------------
babyjay on colbalt found online mostly during weekends and weekday evenings GMT time

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
[Apr 4, 2011 4:49:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Sounds like it would take a fair amount of programming. Not that that makes it a bad idea, mind you, but that is one consideration. Personally, if OOO is to do something like this, it would be better as an island attraction, placeable by any governor of a medium or large island.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 4, 2011 4:57:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
turned it into a very tawdry bawdy pirate boardwalk arcade? Flashing lights

Flickering torches and lanterns would also work and be period (1560s-1720s: golden age of piracy in the Caribbean) as well.

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
extremely piratey themed, we could do games like... whack a pirate

I suppose this qualifies as a piratey theme even if it is not period.

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
the one where you fill balloons with water to do boat races

Rubber balloons wouldn't be period. Animal bladders would be but toy boat races between pirates, is that a likely activity for these types of mariners?

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
target shooting

This might run into the issue that personal firearms are Anti-listed though one saving grace is (presumably) that live pirates aren't the targets.

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
the dunk a pirate booth

Walk the plank on land!

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
boardwalk sea bowling

Rolling cannon balls instead of bowling balls? At pirate shaped pegs?

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
maybe a fortune telling booth

Presumably this would be a PoE sink?

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
get people back out on the oceans to pillage more for the chance to win the admission tickets.

That may be an element which might be effective for a time.

Xxesjayexx wrote: 
i love the idea - it would put poe back into the ocean

That's great if there isn't already a substantial amount of PoE already on the ocean.

Xxesjayexx wrote: 
and give people something fun to do when thier crew isnt on that does not involve poker.

Well I sure hope that an amusement park doesn't cause players to wish that their crewmates leave the park and go pillaging instead.

Queenbeez wrote: 
I still like the novelty of adding poking to the event

[Apr 4, 2011 6:46:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

SoulMotion12 wrote: 
maybe a fortune telling booth

Presumably this would be a PoE sink?

If the players follow random predictions, I predict that it will become a PoE sink, even if it wasn't that way intentionally.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 4, 2011 7:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SoulMotion12

Ok.... let's hear your idea then?

All I am offering is an idea to get more players involved back into the ocean (hint hint) and to give us all some other fun activities. I wasn't really looking for a line by line critique, but thank you for opinion.
[Apr 4, 2011 10:29:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

One of the things Game Design is used for is to work on proposals to improve them. If elements of an idea are quite out of theme, then it's unlikely that the Developers would implement the idea unmodified.

Queenbeez wrote: 
I still like the novelty of adding poking to the event

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Apr 4, 2011 10:52:48 PM]
[Apr 4, 2011 10:47:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
gattsu87

I love the idea of a boardwalk arcade in Puzzle Pirates. New and captivating innovation is always important to keeping an MMO alive. I've had a few more sparks to add to the fire (this was shared with me awhile ago) and thought I'd collect them and share them here, in the hopes that they can be built upon. I'll start with the game ideas.

Whack-a-Pirate sounds like fun (I am a huge fan of whack-a-anything, particularly zombies), but honestly, whack-a-BK sounds more satisfying in a vengeful kind of way. And find me a pirate that doesn't wish to smack their enemies 'round the head with a blunt object, I bet you'll be hard pressed.

Rubber Balloons might be a stretch (I don't think animal bladders are the way to go either), but a glass beaker with a bobber to measure progression is feasible. And being as I support the boardwalk arcade idea, I totally support the water gun game going in (they're mounted at the carnival, just make it a very small cannon).

When it comes to dunk a pirate and target shooting, I think it's best to pick one target game and stick with it (avoiding redundancy). Dunk a pirate could be entertaining (or annoying if the insults thrown back by missing bother you and you're easily offended), and of course, making the water gross and fish-filled would add to the 'take that' effect. When it comes to shooting at targets, we can always go with shooting at ships (we do that all the time) and so we're not going to hand anyone anything that could be construed as a gun, we could always set pirates up with pea-shooters / spit wad shooters / blow guns, whatever you want to call them, or we could arm players with a slingshot. Further, we could use darts instead (those have been around forever).

When it comes to boardwalk bowling, I imagine (and hope) we're talking about skee-ball, which is a lot different than bowling, in the sense that you're trying to get a ball (about the size of a small cb) into one of a few holes for varying ranges of points. I'm going to try to not get started on how much I adore this game, but instead focus on this being a crowd pleaser for a long long time, even if it isn't 100% period, it definitely fits the boardwalk theme and can be made piratey quite easily.

As for fortune telling, I always had this idea in my head that it would be convenient if there was a slightly easier way to get the tips from the old salts at the inn. I'm not saying make a place where you can just show up, pay some poe and walk away with the whereabouts of a merchant galleon, though that is kinda very slightly my idea. I'm not suggesting they provide an expo, heck I'm not suggesting the fortune teller lets off with 2% accuracy, but it is a thought, it saves it from being a poe sink, and it has an outcome worthy of looking into (get 5 fortune readings in one area and try them all seems like it could pan something out).

Now, when it comes to the location of one of these things, I like the idea of an island that you need a chart to get to, and if it doesn't degrade (quickly) admission tickets to boot. I for one like the idea of a 2 week chart, coupled with 24-hour admission tickets winnable by pillaging (in stacks equal to the number of pirates on board the winning vessel) and/or purchasable at the front gate (presumably the price would make the pillaging worth it, 2-5k a ticket I personally think makes it worth it). Take away the ability to buy them, and I see a definite increase in pillaging. I feel that giving governments the ability to build them on their own islands would take away from the draw and the allure -- this is supposed to be someplace you go to escape the everyday routine (and those of us who are escaping that kind of scene by playing this game never ever have to see it :D), and as such, it should be off the shores of our places of residence. I also (personally) like the idea of (like the smhs) be unable to whisk out to it. Not suggesting a bnav board, though that could be interesting -- no fighting, just something to sail through so you're not there straight away, though at the same time, be pointless. Unless of course, the bnav board was a maze?...

As for rewards, I can imagine several trinkets, a couple of masks, clothes, furniture, I even have a bit of an idea for a ship design (though that one's still in the working process). Perhaps a PoE to Token to Winning Chips/Tickets to Prizes exchange. We could even find a way to squeeze PoE back into that end process.

Ultimately, I adore this idea. I've been behind it since I first heard about it. Once again, innovation is important to thriving, and this is something we have not seen or done before as far as Puzzle Pirates goes. And, being a hard-working pirate myself, a trip to the fair sounds like just the thing between shipping goods 'round to stalls and thwarting the threats of the high seas for their riches.

So, creative minds of the high seas -- what say you?
Belthasar of Cerulean Ocean
Captain of the KNight Owls

Master Rigger and Battle Navver
Legendary Chat Boocher
Collector of Little Pizza Fish
[Apr 4, 2011 11:53:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates