• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 95
Posts: 95   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20531 times and has 94 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

EGGS! Design furniture for the game! [WINNERS POSTED] Reply to this Post

"Eggs!"

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture Again

This is another chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. Note that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here.

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using the image tags.
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, please mention this as well.
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here.
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and tricks and links and things:

I've included these not just as a reminder of the entries from previous editions, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

-- Your design MUST be able to 'wrap' - the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side.
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.

-- In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. The thread has been started linked here, so if you have any designs that you want to see rendered, please post there!

--NEW Silveransom's egg tutorial for Blender
--Adrielle's egg tutorial for 3DS 2010
--Link to Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs from 2006 to 2010.
--YPPedia page of 2010 entries flat version
--YPPedia page of 2010 entries rendered versions
--Link to the 2010 event thread
--Link to the 2010 entry thread
--Link to the 2009 event thread
--Link to the 2009 entry thread
--Link to the 2008 event thread
--Link to the 2008 entry thread
--Link to the 2007 event thread
--Link to the 2007 entry thread.
-- Link to the 2006 event thread.
-- Link to the 2006 entry thread.
-- Link to Guppymomma's Rendered Eggs thread from 2006
--Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated versionhere
--2007 rendered eggs YPPedia page.
LOOK AT THESE ONES!
These threads are where designs from previous years were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!
--2007 rendering test thread
--2008 rendering test thread
--2009 rendering test thread
--2010 rendering test thread

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, you can get it from YPPedia here, or link to the file directly here. It's linked from http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Egg. You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modelling program. Note that you do not *need* to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modelling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender).
-- You may need a renderer plug-in apparently. ;)
-- Ponytailguy produced a quick tutorial of testing the designs in 3DS-MAX here
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to, I'm happy to edit these in! Thanks as always to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year. You are wonderful!

The deadline for egg designs is Tusday 29th March 2011 - 11:59pm game time.

If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given an egg in your design. If you win, your design may be rotated for the final egg.

Go forth and lay eggs!

Para leer este concurso en español, da clic aquí .

----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Apollo at Apr 1, 2011 5:42:29 AM]
[Feb 28, 2011 12:22:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Re: EGGS! Design furniture for the game! [DEADLINE 29 March 2011] Reply to this Post

Go forth and lay eggs!

/me clucks.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Feb 28, 2011 1:27:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Re: EGGS! Design furniture for the game! [DEADLINE 29 March 2011] Reply to this Post

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! =D =D =D

(I can do test renders if anyone needs =D)
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 28, 2011 1:30:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Test render thread =D

Let me know if it needs adjusting! I pretty much copied lovely Apollo's post from last year's test render thread =D
[Mar 1, 2011 2:11:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Thanks! I've linked that in the first post now. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps in that thread, or with YPPedia pages for flat and rendered entries.
[Mar 1, 2011 2:15:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Awesome, thanks Adrielle.

Query on the naming scheme... are the numbers (#1,2,3 etc) for each different egg, or different versions of the same egg?
<3
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Mar 1, 2011 2:31:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I'm pretty sure it was just numbering the egg skins in each post/batch you want rendered. It helps you to tell them apart once they are rendered if they are similar, and gives them a unique file name (while keeping your name in all the file names so the people rendering remember whose eggs they were).
[Mar 1, 2011 2:41:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Query on the naming scheme... are the numbers (#1,2,3 etc) for each different egg, or different versions of the same egg?
<3

In the rendering requests thread - different versions of the same egg - helps the renderers keep track of them.

In the entry thread - each different egg - helps those uploading the info to the YPPedia keep track of things.

But is it really that time of year again already? Wow! :)
Pletoo of Sage
[Mar 1, 2011 10:40:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Ah, ok lol! I've been doing it wrong then! (sorry!)
[Mar 1, 2011 2:10:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

okay, so if I make several version of the same egg, should it be entered in the entry thread as (#) 1 if I'm only entering one design, or (#) 7 if it's my 7th attempt?

Moderately confused. <3
[Mar 1, 2011 2:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
piratejoshh

Egg-cellent

I am Interested in designing an egg and had an idea of doing a ghost egg, Would this be possible or not? I would have a pattern on it however it would just be more transparent than the body of the egg. If this idea sucks and is not possible tell me soon as I need to get back to my brain cells.

JJosh,(Tosha)
Hunter,(Sage)
FlockTarts
Jjosh.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by piratejoshh at Mar 1, 2011 2:38:30 PM]
[Mar 1, 2011 2:37:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

okay, so if I make several version of the same egg, should it be entered in the entry thread as (#) 1 if I'm only entering one design, or (#) 7 if it's my 7th attempt?

Moderately confused. <3

I think, if you have a design you've tweaked 7 times, and it's finally the way you want it to be and it's the only one you're going to enter, then you rename it egg#1 before you post it in the official entry thread.
I think. I'm pretty sure. I'll read over this thread again.

edit - OK, looking back at the previous years entries, it doesn't matter what you name the file that you post in the official entry thread. The numbering scheme has more to do with helping the test renderers. Hope that helps!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Mar 1, 2011 3:38:32 PM]
[Mar 1, 2011 3:30:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Therealhunta

Egg-cellent

I am Interested in designing an egg and had an idea of doing a ghost egg, Would this be possible or not? I would have a pattern on it however it would just be more transparent than the body of the egg. If this idea sucks and is not possible tell me soon as I need to get back to my brain cells.

JJosh,(Tosha)
Hunter,(Sage)
FlockTarts

I believe this would be possible, but you'd have to make all colors inside the design semi-transparent as opposed to fully (ie: with the tool, choose 55% instead of 100% transparency) <== will take some trial and error.
This shouldn't be an issue to integrate into the game anyway.

Great idea and wish i had come up with it :)
If you need a hand with creating it let me know, will be happy to help.
~~Hunta~~
RiddleMakers
Viridian Meridian Ocean
[Mar 1, 2011 6:43:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lightmaster7

If I may ask, why do the flat images have to be able to line up end to end? I have been messing around with circular gradients and have seen no problem rendering images that don't. Example:

Sxygrl on Sage Emerald.
SO of The BootLeggers
Current Queen of The End

[Mar 1, 2011 9:02:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I'm pretty sure that semitransparent eggs have been nixed in years past, sadly. Maybe we can ask the Ringers pretty pretty please to make them possible.
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Mar 1, 2011 10:22:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Time to make more jellyfish! Mmm.. delicious and sting-y!
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Mar 1, 2011 11:30:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

If I may ask, why do the flat images have to be able to line up end to end? I have been messing around with circular gradients and have seen no problem rendering images that don't.
It's not a problem with rendering - it's that the egg has to be able to have the viewing angle and rotation changed without exposing a "seam" in the design. It's a requirement that has been stipulated by the arrrtists for the eggs.
[Mar 2, 2011 1:02:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lightmaster7

That makes sense, sorry to ask yet another question but...

Does that mean if I rotate the image around and check the different angles to ensure no seams are visible; then submit a design that does not "wrap". It will still be considered and not immediately disqualified?

Thanks, my first time at this so I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Sxygrl on Sage Emerald.
SO of The BootLeggers
Current Queen of The End

[Mar 2, 2011 8:36:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

The easiest way to see if it's seamless is to put two copies of the square next to each other - if you can see where they join, it's not seamless.
[Mar 2, 2011 9:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I "set as desktop background" > "tiled" - then your screen is covered with them and you can see if they join =D
[Mar 2, 2011 1:54:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

If I may ask, why do the flat images have to be able to line up end to end? I have been messing around with circular gradients and have seen no problem rendering images that don't. Example:

You probably could make that tile, though. There's filters that'll do it easy and of course, a bit of cutting, pasting, and erasing will make almost anything tile eventually. Here's a tutorial .
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Mar 3, 2011 3:46:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

The eggy pages have been started on Yppedia =D

--------------

* Flat Entries

* Rendered Entries (should we make these Max-only renders for consistency?)

* Data (the page that makes the other two pages work!)

----------------

If you'd like to help out with updating and adding entries, you can do so by logging into Yppedia, and editing the Data page - entries should look something like this:

== [[Pirate name]] (Ocean) ==
{{{{{1}}}|2011|number of entries|Pirate name}}

For example, if Adrielle of Viridian Ocean has 3 entries:

== [[Adrielle]] (Viridian) ==
{{{{{1}}}|2011|3|Adrielle}}

Adding new entries to the data page will make red links appear on the flat and rendered entries pages - you can click these to upload the images =D

The following tag goes in the summary field when you upload a new image (with the bolded bits filled in):

{{eggcontestentry|2011|Pirate name|Ocean}}

To change or update an image that is already there, click it, and choose "upload a new version of this file". (Sometimes you will need to hard refresh to get the new version of the image to show up!) You don't need to add the image tag when re-uploading images - it should be there already =D

P.S.
I MISS FIZZ!
[Mar 5, 2011 8:20:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Amazing Adrielle! <3
credit to you and others who have the skill/knowhow/time/patience/choose your own positive attribute to do all this stuff.
[Mar 5, 2011 8:31:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Thanx! lol but I kinda just copy pasted last years and adjusted the links etc. hehe
[Mar 5, 2011 9:16:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Borogove9

Anybody have/able to export a .ma or .obj version of that .max file? I'd love to check out the UVs, but can't run Max on a Mac without severe headaches ensuing... Thanks!
Borogove
Sage Ocean
[Mar 7, 2011 6:51:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lightmaster7

Here is the SimpleEgg.max file exported as .obj I "think"... Never exported with 3ds max before so let me know if it worked.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lgccaqxpt80tgw4
Sxygrl on Sage Emerald.
SO of The BootLeggers
Current Queen of The End

[Mar 7, 2011 8:06:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

If that doesn't work, did you read SilveRansom's post ?

You'll need the files from my MediaFire (free file hosting) link thisaway:

http://www.mediafire.com/?15qfmhpz09w55

There should be five files in there. Technically, you can get by with just the "egg_1.blend" and "basicgrid.png" files. The other two .png texture files are just there for reference (I made both of them for my own diagnostics) and the .obj file is there if you want to try to import the egg into some other 3D package. (The .obj file is a direct export from the Ringer-provided 3DS Max egg from years past. It's just the UV-mapped egg, though, so the camera and edge renderer aren't included.)

Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 7, 2011 10:20:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Borogove9

Here's my entry - icky Cthulhu egg! Thanks to Sxygrl and Dexla for helping me with the .obj files!

Borogove
Sage Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Borogove9 at Mar 8, 2011 4:29:24 PM]
[Mar 8, 2011 4:15:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

pssst! You might want ot enter it in the entry thread.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 8, 2011 5:48:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Borogove9

pssst! You might want ot enter it in the entry thread.

Thanks! Ye beat me to it by about 10 seconds! I was just coming back to delete this post when yers showed up. xD
Borogove
Sage Ocean
[Mar 8, 2011 5:51:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 95   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates