• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 28
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24786 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
tilinka

Octoscarf Knit*-Along Entry Thread Reply to this Post

This thread is for entries to the Octoscarf Knit-Along.

Please post any questions in the Event Thread.
----------------------------------------
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 1, 2011 11:19:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Jessoleil

Re: Octoscarf Knit*-Along Entry Thread Reply to this Post

Eeek, I guess I'll throw down and be the first to post... bear with me <3

-Jessoleil on Sage (Avid knitter since September of 2010... I was bored, needed something to do, so I sat down with the S&B book and Youtube and taught myself...have been going knit crazy ever since!)

The Finished Cowl:

The Cowl Pattern

I love the simple repeat pattern on this cowl (K2tog X3, yok1 X6, K2tog X3). The feathery fan type pattern gives that perfect flow of waves on water. There are 8 repeats on this, mimicking the Octo itself, and the scalloping on the bottom edge reminds me of the soft squishiness of the Octopuses in the female portraits in game. Done in Sensations Bamboo & Ewe Pattern, on size 8 16" circs... the blues and charcoals of this colorway give it a delicious watery feeling, and then the super dark navy reminds me of "inking".
I love working in lace patterns, because they are so elegant, much like the Octo :) Being that I'm from Seattle, one of the major homes of the Giant Pacific Octopus (the pilings along the Seattle waterfront, and then the pilings at the Tacoma Narrows Bridge), I love that this pulls me back into my roots :)

The Basis of the Octo
I liked the tentacles for him, so they were done between casting on 20-40 stitches, and immediately doing a k2tog decrease and binding off. The body of the octo, I improvised myself, as I wanted it to flow with the feel of the cowl. For him, I cast on 30 stitches, knitted 2 rows, then started a K2tog, K4 repeat for the first decrease row, Knit the next, K2tog, K3 repeat, decreasing downwards. At the end, just whipstitched the edges, gave him some cute eyes, and stitched the tentacles on him. This was done in a wonderous simple silvery gray bamboo lace weight yarn.

* Casting On
*In Progress 1
*In Progress 2
*Finished!
*Action Victim Shot
(I hadn't had coffee yet, and my twins were running around my feet yelling cheese at me, so sorry for the not so perfect action shot)

-Prize pref:
Well, of course, I would love an Octo (blue, aqua, navy, gray?), but am happy with anything and everything :)
Jessoleil
Senior Officer of Infinite Darkness
Princess of Midknight Sun

Avatar by the AMAZESAUCE Bunnylaroo!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jessoleil at Feb 8, 2011 6:24:15 AM]
[Feb 8, 2011 6:20:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ardnas1209

First, LOVE the contest and thank you coming up with the challange.

Meeting the challenge:
-Sandyseaweed on Colbalt. I've been crocheting for over 25 years.

-My entry is crochet. There is no pattern for this project, I came up with it just for this contest.
It is sized for a small child but as I have no bio-children, I made it for my furry one. As Alanna (my boston) is my familiar in real life, she goes with me everywhere (even sits on my shoulder in car rides), I turned her into an Octo for a moment to complete this challenge. :) Definitely going to be her Halloween costume for this year. :)

This scarf has two pieces as the cowl is detachable. (Lots of pictures showing that, please see complete project link below.)

1. Casting on :
100 chain stitches across with a large hook

2. In Progress :
Second row of project with 8 independent legs, 4 on each end.

3. Finished :
The finished project. This turned out SO super cute.

4. ACTION SHOTS
Sorry I have two the first is with the brim of the cowl turned down. Really turns Alanna into an Octo!
And the second is with the brim folded back.

Completed project There are lots of other pictures of the project in progress. Please have a look and enjoy. :D I can post more pics if needed.

-Prize preference: An Octopus in the color range of blue to purple.

I would also like to say that I laughed more making this project then I have in days (took 3 days to make). Thank you again for this challange.
[Feb 8, 2011 12:34:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ladyrayth

Ok, my entry worked up much faster than expected (hooray for that). I went with a literal interpretation of the theme. I had in my head the idea of the octopus on my shoulder and wrapping his arms around my neck (hopefully for a hug, not to strangle me).

Nasrin - Midnight Ocean

-Made the pattern up myself. Take the instructions with a grain of salt.

2 strands worsted weight held held together throughout. Size P hook.
Chain 3 and join into a circle with a slipstitch
Chain 2 (counts as first half double), crochet 6 half double stitches into center of ring.
Chain 2, turn, stitch 2 half dble in each stitch across
Chain 2, turn, stitch 1 half dble in each stitch across (repeat 3x)
Chain 2, turn, stitch 1 half dble in each stitch until reaching stitch next to center (2 half dble there), 1 half dble in center stitch, 2 half dble next stitch, then 1 dble per stitch to end (repeat this row until piece is about 8 inches across)
Chain 2, turn, work 8 half dble stitches evenly across bottom (flat part) of circle
Chain 2, turn, work 1 half dble stitch in each stitch across

Body finished - beginning on legs - DO NOT FINISH OFF - work continuously

Chain 60, then work back up the chain with half dble stitches
When reach end of chain skip 1 stitch on body and then join with slip stitch
Repeat 8 times (two center legs will need to skip 2 stitches before joining)

Finish off and weave in ends

Eyes are just chain 3, join into circle, single crochet 12 times around. Leave a long tail of yarn and use that to stitch the eyes onto the body.

Photos! (excuse the cell phone quality please - used my real camera for the last photo though)

Materials plus getting started(I WAAAAY overbought yarn - only needed 2 skeins)

Body done

Working on the legs

Mostly done - just need eyes

All done

Finished scarf being modeled by my reluctant daughter

Prize Preference
* Octoscarf: An octopus familiar based on the color of your scarf (standard options). - Aqua would be nice
* Tools of the Trade
* The Herd

This was a ton of fun and now I'm off to complete my next project. My daughter wants me to make an octopus hat for her.
Nasrin
Midnight Ocean
Captain of Mist Spirits

Current Avatar by Darkfaery
[Feb 9, 2011 11:53:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seleennn

My Turn !! :P

I don't have a pattern for scarf or crochet's, all designed by me :) I know knitting since my 7 and yea when this combined with my imagination , that wasn't so hard to create it :)

-SeLeenn on Viridian Ocean <3!

Materials
Casting on
In Progress
In Progress 2
Finished!!
RightSide
LeftSide
Action1
Action2

Prize Preference :)

- Octoscarf!! (yus, yus Lime!! It is awesome )
-Tools of the Trade; (Lime again pls! :) if u need a secondary colour , its the yellow ;) )
-The Herd; (More Lime and yus Yellow n_n)

Thanks for the event! It was really fun to make and my little model is thankful for her new scarf too ;)
Seleenn on Meridian
The Evil Twin of Boysenberry ;)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by seleennn at Feb 10, 2011 1:33:57 PM]
[Feb 10, 2011 1:28:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

Falmari from the fine ocean of Malachite

My first thought was to make a tentacle scarf and after looking around for some ideas I settled on using a ripple pattern with crocheted rounds that I would attach as suckers. I learned how to ripple using THIS VIDEO(its in two parts) Using a K/101/2-6.50MM hook I made a really long chain somewhere around 228 and instead of increasing and decreasing by 3, I increased and decreased by 4 since it seemed more octo-like. Two rows of the dark sea-green, two rows of the light green, and three rows of the Lion Brand Homespun in Pesto. For the 24 rounds I chained 6, slip stitched it together in a circle and then double crocheted 16 times then slip stitched together. I then attached them using a slip stitch on every hill and valley in between the dark sea-green and the light green rows.

Casting On
In Progress
Finished
Action shot with UN-willing victim (Husband didn't want to show his face for some reason...lol)

Prize Preference:
Octoscarf in Light Green, Lime or Yellow
Tools of the Trade
The Herd
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Feb 11, 2011 3:37:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wyf

This is the longest time I've used on any crocheting I've ever done, and i'm not a very patient person so i'm proud of myself for actually finishing it (been so many times where I've just wanted to lay it down and forget all about it)

- Marlenee from Viridian that right now feels like she isn't going to touch a crocheting hook in
a loooooong time.

I actually nearly finished another project that wasn't this complicated when my creativity hit in..
So all I could do was to start over, because I knew that this would look way better and this is
actually something I can see myself using on a regular basis.

The finished product:

The pattern, lets see if I can remember all, I made it up as I went, but its basic crocheting so
shouldn't be that hard.

Body:
Rnd 1: 7 single crochet stitches
Rnd 2: 2 single crochet in each stitch from last round
Rnd 3: 1 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch
Rnd 4: 2 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch
Rnd 5: 3 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch
Rnd 6: 4 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch
Rnd 7: 5 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch
Rnd 8: 6 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch

Arms:
I made between 20-30 single crochet stitches one way, then crocheted my way back again
to make them twirl and get a octo feeling.

It's really up to you how many small octos you want to make, it depends how long you want it, I ended
up with making 23, because I wanted it to be the same lenght as a normal scarf would be.

Then I had to sew together the bodies, iron it and then you sew on the arms where you want them, I
originally made 8 arms til each body, but I ended up with just using 6 because 8 were just too many on
the small bodies and it resulted in that it looked really messy!

Pictures:

Just started
Here I've just finished Rnd 2 on the body

In progress
Done with making all the bodies and arms

Nearly done
Done sewing it together, ironed and all the arms waiting to be sewed on...

Action shot
I'm not satisfied with the picture, but i'm home alone so makes it hard to take a picture and show how long it actually is, but this will have to do.

Done
Finito!

Prize preference:
A pink octopus would be nice
tools of trade
the herd
Marlenee on the Meridian Ocean.

[Feb 20, 2011 9:46:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taliasolo

Chandice on Sage

My pattern was completely invented off the top of my head. It was knitted using the Fair Isle technique and the decorations (i.e., 'tentacles') are made out of knitted 'tubes'. It was done from long side to long side. I striped it with light and dark gold, with wine-colored octopus designs. I cast on 287 stitches.

After I had finished the scarf, I realized that one ribbed side was too loose (>_>) and in order for that ribbed section to stand flat I ran a piece of yarn through it. It gave my piece a bit of a 'ruffle' and fixed my problem while adding another design element into it. At the ends of the scarf I attached eight knitted tube tentacles on each side.
I hate the way that the ends of scarves flap about your face on a windy day, so I attached three sets of ties down the inner sides of the scarf to pull the front together after wrapping the scarf around your neck once.

Pictures:

Casting on:
http://img10.imageshack.us/i/1010282r.jpg/

In progress:
http://img202.imageshack.us/i/1010286.jpg/

Finished:
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/1010298n.jpg/

Additional model/detail shots:

Tentacles:
http://img52.imageshack.us/i/1010292.jpg/

Ties:
http://img20.imageshack.us/i/1010293.jpg/

Octopus fair isle pattern:
http://img15.imageshack.us/i/1010295cm.jpg/

Model shot:
http://img156.imageshack.us/i/1010307.jpg/

Prize Pref:

Gold or wine octopus. These are non-standard colors, so the next closest color (orange/magenta) will do fine.

Tools of the Trade

The Herd
Taliasolo on Mala
[Feb 24, 2011 12:03:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
squeakykitty

My entry was inspired by the way the tentacles of an octopus undulate. When I saw crocheted Bruges lace the first time, it reminded me of that. I improvised a very freeform tentacle impression. I can try to write up vaguely what I did, but I was pretty much winging it. I tore out 2 times before it started looking the way I wanted it to.

Casting on:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzzykaren/5443901668/

In progress:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzzykaren/5486911783/

Finished:

Alternate finished picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzzykaren/5499849201/

Prize preferences for Fuzzykitty on Midnight:

1. Octopus in purple or blue
2. Tools of the trade
3. The Herd
Fuzzykitty on Midnight and sometimes Cobalt and Ice

Missing Pandora, the real fuzzy kitty, 1991-2009
[Mar 5, 2011 12:24:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Countrymommy

Abagaile of Sage

It's been awhile since I've crocheted from a pattern, mostly just improvise, so I'm not as familiar with all the terms as I should be.

Made this design up myself, although it is your typical scarf pattern. Chained 150 across (made for a toddler, so would suggest much, much more for an adult). Single crochet skipping a row for each "tentacle"; four on each side. Each "tentacle" was 30 chains with single crochet back up. Goggly eyes were glued on.

Casting On

In Progress

Finished

Action Shot with my 3 year old!

Prizes in lime or light green.

Prize Preference:
Octoscarf
Tools of the Trade
The Herd

Edit: Added link for finished shot instead of direct image. Wasn't sure if image size was correct.
Abagaile of Emerald
~ Avatars by Apollo, Cattrin, Inghild, Angelira, Ecastasy, and Phillite ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Countrymommy at Mar 8, 2011 2:25:28 PM]
[Mar 8, 2011 2:18:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yupyup54

I rarely go on the forums so when I saw this, I think I'll check more often now.

:D I'm Uchida in Viridian Ocean. This is so cool to meet other pirates that knit as well.

My scarf is based on an octopus's tentacle and the suction cups found unerneath. I used the pattern garter lace waves found in Reversible Knitting by Lynne Bar and worked the scarf horizontally. Toward the end of the scarf, I free-formed with crotchet to make a tapered end.

My scarf does have holes but it ends up making it more practical in Hawaii since Hawaii weather doesn't exactly need scarves. :D I made as a tribute to the Octopus stuffed animal that Bubbles has in Powerpuff Girls.

casting on
half-way there
finished product!

Garter Lace Waves:
mutiples of 12+2 at CO with 21 row repeat (I casted on about 200 or so and worked rows 1-21 and then 1-19)
1)close holes by knitting tbl
2)when casting on additional sts, use cable cast-on
3) if only owkring with 14sts, don't work sts between asterisks on rows 10, 11, 20, and 21

Rows 1, 4, and 7: K1, *[k2tog] twice, [k1, yo] 4 times, [k2tog] twice; repeat from * to last st, k1.
Rows 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8: knit.
Row 9: BO 4sts, knit to end.
Row 10: BO 4 sts, *k5, BO next 6 sts; repeat from * to last 5 sts, k5. (you'll have clusters of 6 sts.)
Row 11: CO 4 sts, knit these 4 sts, *k6, CO 6 sts; repeat from * to last 6 sts, k6, CO 4 sts.
Rows 12, 15, and 18: k1, * [k1, yo] twice, [k2tog] 4 times, [k1, yp] twice, repeat from * to last st, k1.
Rows 13, 14, 16, 17, and 19: knit.
Row 20: k4, *BO next 6 sts, k5; repeat from * to last 10 sts, BO next 6 sts, k3. (ends will have groups of 4 sts, others will be clusters of 6)
Row 21: k4, *CO 6 sts, k6; repeat from * to last 4 sts, k4.

The book calls for the ending final repeat to be row 19, knit 1 row, and then bind off all sts, knitwise.

Order of preference: Octoscarf, the herd, tools of the trade.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by yupyup54 at Mar 9, 2011 12:32:35 AM]
[Mar 9, 2011 12:31:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mcflurry54 [Link]  Go to top 
aimela

Pirate Name: Aimela on Sage Ocean (and inkedinto on ravelry now!!)

This is the first scarf I've ever made - I just started knitting around christmas. Only having made a couple of dishcloths previously, I jumped at this challenge. I looked about the net a bit for a pattern and decided to just do my own thing.

I knew I wanted to do something tentacley but still wearable and warm - cause it gets cold up here in Canada!!

My inspiration was the ability for the octopus to change its colours to blend in with its background. and I found this yarn that I think would allow it to meld into the background if it was in a coral reef with the teal and tan and brown.

As well I wanted something that look like he's wrapped himself about me. With his body still camouflaged and his tentacles coming out of my coat and reaching out

Because the yarn has some pulls in it I decided to just straight knit the scarf. I started by casting on 3 stitches and then slowly increased after a few rows to 4 then after a few more to 5 etc.. The main part of the scarf that goes around your neck is 20 stitches across, which I did long enough so it would wrap about my neck completely once and then I started to decrease the stitches the same way one by one back down to 3. I have to be honest I didn't' really keep track of how many rows I did between increase or decrease for the tentacles. Just kinda went by how it looked to me.

The suckers I used a corker or knitting knobby. I made spools of different lengths and then used the loose ends to stitch them into the rounds and attach them to the tentacles. I also used small buttons for the tiny ones at the tips of the tentacles.

Casting On
In progress 1 with corking
In progress 2 - about halfway!
Ready to be put together - all items
All Finished!

Obligatory Action Shot

Prize Preference:
1) Octoscarf
2) Tools of the Trade
3) The Herd

Colours - blue/aqua/green
Aimela
Sometimes we know we shouldn't and that's exactly why we do.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by aimela at Mar 11, 2011 7:54:28 PM]
[Mar 10, 2011 11:20:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Adrielle of Viridian

I didn't really use a pattern - I just did plain knitting on a circular loom :) I made the octopus out of a square I made on a butterfly loom and some plaited wool for legs; I embroidered the face onto my octopus. I made the suction cap flowers on a daisy loom.

*Casting on

*In-progress

*Finished with name tag

There are plenty of other in-progress pictures and finished pictures here =D

I think it has more pink than any other colour... It has pink, purple, green, blue, black, white and gold =D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Mar 11, 2011 1:55:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hearthdragon

Treecat on Sage Ocean

Made it up the pattern as went along to match sister's description of desired scarf (forced to enter? lol). Had to back up a few times and start over on the first half, second half went quicker.

Casting on:http://techpixie.net/friend/Octoscarf/octostart.jpg

In Progress (halfway): http://techpixie.net/friend/Octoscarf/octohalf.jpg

Finished:

Demanding sister wearing it: http://techpixie.net/friend/Octoscarf/octovictim.jpg

Prize preference order and color clarification:
Octoscarf ( don't think black is a standard color, so grey or blue or anything really is fine. )
The Herd
Tools of the Trade

Thank you for the contest.
[Mar 11, 2011 12:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PurpleClown

Ellenya of Viridian

i made a variation of a wave pattern for a baby blanket in one of mums knitting books.

it represents the sea waves and has button octopi sewn on.

caston

in progress 1

in progress 2

detail

Avie by Adrielle
Ellenya on Viridian
Lucky Doodler, as of 2.01.2011
"all in the name of Schiensche"
[Mar 11, 2011 1:58:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/ellenya [Link]  Go to top 
baast

First, my thanks to Tilinka for coming up with this KAL/Contest, as I've quite enjoyed it, and I am really happy with how my project turned out.

-------------------

My cowl overall was an interpretation I came up with in my head. I had seen the half-octo coffee cup cosy and faved it on Ravelry a few weeks ago though, so when this came up, I knew I would be using it.
I wanted to create something that both met the guidelines of the contest and would be something personal to me and that I would be happy with and willing to wear when it was all over with.

When I think of Octos in YPP, I think of the familiars on the shoulders, but also the Kracken image on the world map (of Midnight at least, can't speak for other oceans) and wanted to do something involving the map, and representing my pirate's personal history. To that end I selected the Ruby Arch, and specifically, the island of Eta. I also wanted to show all the league points, to represent memming the Ocean.

The link to the Entrelac guide I used as a jumping off point is here:
http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/24512.aspx
I cast on 120 stitches did a bit of ribbing, and then set up the blocks to be 5 stitches wide. I knit enough rows to fit the Arch into, and then leveled off, did a bit more ribbing, and cast off. This did use more yarn than I originally intended and I ended up combing the stash and even spinning up some yarn of the right shade to be sure I'd have enough.

The link to the octopus pattern is here:
http://pigupigudesign.blogspot.com/2011/02/pattern-demi-octopus-aka-half-ceph-aka.html
And the Ravelry link for it is here:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/demi-octopus
I added two more legs to him though, because I wanted him to have all 8 and be reaching to grab Eta.

The islands are just little crocheted circles, and the league points are just bad attempts at embroidery over knitting. The eyes and "Ruby" french knots are done with embroidery floss, and the whole thing is lined with a piratey map fabric you can see in the bonus photos link in my photo gallery.

Final dimensions are roughly 9 inches tall by 33 inches in circumference.

Required Photos:
(links to full size photos above the adjusted smaller photos used here)

Casting on:
http://soapturtle.net/ypp/octokal/caston.jpg

In Progress: (knitting done but embroidery, crochet, and sewing not done)
http://soapturtle.net/ypp/octokal/drying.jpg

Finished:
http://soapturtle.net/ypp/octokal/finalfront.jpg

Modeled Shot:
http://soapturtle.net/ypp/octokal/actionshot.jpg

Additional Images-
My photo gallery of the project is here:
http://soapturtle.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7824
It contains all the images I took of/during the project, some of which have no name tag but I knew I didn't need them to all be entry photos, so it worked out.

The Ravelry link for this project is here:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/soapturtle/demi-octopus
There's not really any more details of the project there, but it does list all the yarns I used.

Prize Preferences:

1. Octo. Purple or Lavender please, since white is reserved for OCC.

2. Tools of the Trade

3. The Herd

-------

Edit: forgot to add size.
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by baast at Mar 12, 2011 9:16:41 AM]
[Mar 12, 2011 9:15:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Pirate name: Snowimp, Cobalt. (I wasn't sure which ocean to enter on, so I put both figuring I'd make up my mind later!)

ZOMG yay, Hooded scarf, finally finished, as modelled by Stitches the bear.

Links. Warning, large images. All the better to eat you see me with!
Casting on, Octo
Casting on, Reef.
In Progress early, octo (first 2 heads)
In progress, first 2 octos to end of cable.
In progress, Reef
Finished, octo only
Finished, octo only, closeup of 3 heads
Finished, complete with card
Finished, teddy action shot, octo only showing the heads.
Finished, Teddy action shot (large, same as the image tagged pic)
Action shot 1, octo only
Action shot 2, octo only
Action shot 3, octo only (from behind)
Action shot 4, complete hooded scarf (Octo and reef)
Action shot 5, complete hooded scarf (Octo and reef)

Pattern Information sorry, this is long.
The crochet pattern I used for the 3 reef (seeweed/coral/etc) originally "wave scarf" came from an instore Spotlight publication called "Living with Yarn", although I adapted it a fair bit. I used a thick Bamboo cotton, and essentially, worked one long chain row the length of the scarf, work back along it with a double crochet in each stitch, then increasing the length with 1-2 [1 treble-1 chain] combinations into each double crochet for the first row, and into each 1-chain space for subsequent rows, to fan out the width, for 4-5 more rows. The last row for each of these pieces used a flurry/furry/feather yarn either double crocheted along the length, or a [5-chain, double crochet into every 1-chain space] combination. (There is also an extra, different piece in the early photos that I decided not to use in the finished piece.)

The 3 blue octopi that make up the octo part of the scarf were knitted with 2 yarns together, one was a lovely soft straight 100% bamboo baby yarn (cleckheaton bamboo), thinner than those used above; the other is a textured voscose/cotton (Patons Sorrento) that gives some texture and inconsistency to the look. The pattern for this is all out of my head, and knitted in 3 pieces, so apologies if it's a little... um... difficult to decipher.

Octopi: Note that the back (middle) piece, is worked slightly differently at the beginning to each side piece. Instructions for the middle piece are below, the 2 side pieces have the following differences at the beginning only. They are mirror images of one other, worked with casting on 24 stitches, worked with the joining edge the same as for the middle piece, and with the front edge increased 11 stitches evently over the first 44 rows (ie, every 4 rows), to frame the face without having the top pull too far back from the wearer's head.

Back (middle) octopus: Cast on 20 stitches for the head and work 10 rows stocking stitch.
Increase into each end of next and every following alternate row, 8 times, work one row (total=36 stitches, 26 rows.)
Increase into each end of next and every following 4th row, until there are 42 stitches.
Continue working stocking stitches until there are a total of 56 rows
Increase to begin rib : P1, *increase (by knitting twice into next stitch), K2 together, K2**, repeat from * to ** to end of the row, P1. (total still = 42 stitches)
Next row: (K2 into next stitch, P4) to end, P2. (total = 50 stitches).
Next row: P2 (K4, P2) to end.
Next row: (K2 (P4, K2) to end.
work 4 more rows in rib (for a total of 64 rows from the beginning).
Begin cable. I can only describe this as freeform.. no instructions, I just made it up as I went along.
Work 14 rows in cable before joining together with the sides, and continuing cable in 2 pieces: each side octopus remains intact, the middle octopus tentacles get divided half to each side, increasing one stitch to give a total of 76 stitches to each side (50 each from the side octopus, 25 each from the middle octopus, plus one extra increased when you join the two).
Work in cable to the desired length. Mine is about 80 rows, checking the overall look at about 60 rows and working back to the rib pattern at the end, remembering that there are a few extra pearl stitches (from increasing, and from where the 2 sides meet)... by the last row you should be working P2/k4 rib with the exception that there will be a few P3's (I think 3) in there.
Increase for loose tentacles with WRONG side facing. K2 (P4, Increase into next 2 K stitches. EXCEPTION: only increase to a total of 4 K stitches, so in the K-3 sections, just increase into the middle K stitch!) to end.... total 96 stitches.
Separate tentacles: K1, K twice into next stitch, K4, Increase by picking up the yarn from in front of the nest stitch, K2, Turn.
Next row: K3, P4, K3
K10, turn
Next row: K3, P4, K3
work a total of 60, 80 or 100 rows on these 10 stit (the tentacles are different lengths) before tapering down to the end by decreasing;
next row: K1, K2 tog, K4, K2 tog through the backs of the stitches, K1 (8 stitches)
next row: K2, P4, K2.
Work 18 rows
Next row: K3, K2 tog, K2
Next row: K2, P3, K2
work 8 rows
Next row: K1, K2 tog, K1, K2 tog through the back of the stitches, K1
Next row: K1, P3, K1
work 8 rows
Next row: K1, sl 1, K2 tog, pass slip stitch over.
i-cord these 3 stitches for 2-3 rows, finish by running the end of the thread through all 3 stitches and pulling it tight.
Repeat for remaining 23 tentacles, sew in the gazillion and one ends, add button eyes, and voila! :D

Inspiration... I wanted to recreate something of the reef environment, as well as those wonderfully twisty tangly tentacles. So happy with the way the tentacles worked, next time I'm going to ditch the cabled part! <3

Prizes
as listed <3

Edits: it's long, I was bound to make a few dozen mistakes >_<
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Snowpixie at Mar 14, 2011 3:56:33 AM]
[Mar 14, 2011 3:42:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jzasia

What a fun comp! And thanks for the TED video link. I totally used it for inspiration.

Rune
Malachite Ocean

Casting On
In the middle...
and done!
And also done (but without the octo hiding)

And the action shot (thanks Ansuz!)

Pattern for keyhole octo-inspired scarf:
Improvised. I've never written up instructions, but the idea is this:

Materials: 3 or more complimentary yarns (I used two shades of teal wool, and what was probably a homespun), size 8 really long circulars, tapestry needle for crazy amounts of knitting in, and buttons for eyes (optional)

Instructions: Cast on ~100 stitches in the wool, and then ~100 more in the homespun. row 1-4: Knit the homespun with homespun, the wool with wool, careful to twist the strands when you switch to avoid a hole. Knit or purl, I switched when I felt like it. I also incorporated the dark and light at various intervals to attempt "water". row 5: k2tog all the homespun, but not the wool. row 6: knit or purl, row 7: k2tog, bo the homespun, just knit or purl the wool. row 8: knit or purl the wool, at the end of the row, pick up the homespun and cast on a bunch of stitches - I used between 60 - 120 for each tentacle. Repeat rows 1 - 8 until you have 4 tentacles. Then you want to create the keyhole by BO ten stitches with about a foot to go until the end, then knit to the end, then cast those same 10 stitches back on when you come across the bound off stitches on your way back. Continue on as before until you have 8 tentacles, and bind off the whole thing. Weave in the ends.

Optional octohead: CO 8, pm, CO 8 until you have 48 stitches on size 8 dpns. K to 2 before m, k2tog, until you have only 3 stitches left. Use needle to loop yarn through the remaining stitches to close the hole. Find some cute buttons for eyes and sew on to scarf at the lower end of the keyhole, and attach the round.

Notes: I also knit the homespun into the wool a bit. I'm not keen on the octohead. Maybe if I had better buttons. It's sort of a great scarf for any ADD knitters...

Prizes: as listed
rune of malachite

* fabulous avatar by the lovely Falmari
[Mar 14, 2011 12:27:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jzasia [Link]  Go to top 
fbx_gemini

I picked crochet as my media...

Real pirates do it with a hook. :D

As for my pattern, the scarf is a basic stitch, and the Octopus is based off of the patterns in the Creep Cute Crochet book by Christen Haden. (Lots of fun stuff in there, check it out!)

Casting On:
http://img535.imageshack.us/f/63212258.jpg/

In Progress:
http://img856.imageshack.us/i/dscf0434p.jpg/

Finished Product:

Prize Preference:

1. Octoscarf
2. Tools of the Trade
3. The Herd

Colors in Lime or any kind of green.

Thanks! This was fun, and I got a scarf out of it!
AKGemini
Captain of the Loose Cannons
Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fbx_gemini at Mar 14, 2011 2:19:33 PM]
[Mar 14, 2011 2:17:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
biapalha

Biapalha
Sage Ocean

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/dsc00786d.jpg/

http://img828.imageshack.us/f/dsc00680k.jpg/

I wanted to portray an octopus, flat enough to be wearable but soft and with both body and texture. And I also wanted the effect to be created by knitting itself, no other technique or prop added.

So I decided to use merino wool with a combination of colours I like a lot and that are somehow present in the sea fauna and flora (as well as in my wardrobe).

Texture was to be given by different stitches, which also shaped the piece/animal, making it larger and fluffier in the front and a bit more compact where it overlaps.

So: cables for the tentacles, 2/1 rib stitch for thinner part, double seed stitch for transition and next plain seed stitch till the middle for front collar part; then I worked symetrically.

It isn't just an item designed for a contest; hopefully, I will wear it a lot; my secret pet wrapped around me, arms all over, moving as I move.

Casting on:

http://img831.imageshack.us/i/dsc00674iq.jpg/

The plan and following the plan

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/dsc00683g.jpg/

http://img688.imageshack.us/i/dsc00678v.jpg/

It has tentacles...

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/dsc00734ow.jpg/

... varied stitches and texture...

http://img171.imageshack.us/i/dsc00742u.jpg/

http://img827.imageshack.us/i/dsc00750y.jpg/

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/dsc00748w.jpg/

and it can be wrapped around people (sort of).

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/dsc00740ee.jpg/

http://img694.imageshack.us/i/dsc00739d.jpg/

Yay! Past the middle!

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/dsc00749kv.jpg/

Seven balls of wool later

http://img15.imageshack.us/i/dsc00752ax.jpg/

I just need to hide a pile of loose threads

http://img576.imageshack.us/i/dsc00763bg.jpg/

http://img863.imageshack.us/i/dsc00759.jpg/

Done!

http://img840.imageshack.us/i/dsc00790g.jpg/

And it can be used in a few different ways.

http://img847.imageshack.us/i/dsc00768.jpg/

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/dsc00781t.jpg/

http://img51.imageshack.us/i/dsc00769w.jpg/

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/dsc00770tz.jpg/

http://img225.imageshack.us/i/dsc00771y.jpg/

http://img849.imageshack.us/i/dsc00772p.jpg/

Prizes:
Purple or red octopus
Tools of the trade
The herd
[Edit 13 times, last edit by biapalha at Mar 15, 2011 10:53:26 PM]
[Mar 14, 2011 7:30:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Annablue6

So, though I've been playing PP for the last 4 years, I've never posted anything on the forums, but I'm glad to have the chance to do it now! Wouldn't even know about the knit-along if it weren't for my PP guardian angel and super-special-spy, who keeps me relatively up to date on every and all PP-related news and who knows that I love a good crafting project.

Identification: Blacklilly, on Viridian.

WARNING: Foreign language ahead!! If you do not recognize this slang, stop reading, do not despair and don't give me your counselor's number! I'm not crazy, I swear!

The pattern is mostly made up, so it doesn't really exist, but it goes something like this:

For the head of the monstrous creature : as a starting point, either do a ring around your finger and 6 to 10 simple crochets through the circle (depending on the size of the circle) or a 6 or 10 crochet chain that you connect into a circle with slst; from second row on, you crochet through both top loops of your stitch. The 2nd row consists of hdc's in every stitch, starting with a chain 2 as first hdc; join last with first with a slst. On the 3rd row, you'll do 3 hdc's in every stitch (start with chain 2 as first hdc and finish row with slst, as always). From 3rd to when you think the octo's head is big enough, you'll do 1 hdc for every stitch and after that, you'll start decreasing ( I did it by skipping a stitch but it can leave spaces in your work, so I recommend hitting the internet for ideas on decrease - I shall do the same for future projects;) ).
For the octo-tentacles : chain many ( i.e. I did 3 of 150, 2 of 100, and 3 of 70) stitches and do 3 in each stitch: 3 hdc's or 3 sc's or 3 dc's or 1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 sc or... - you get the point - as it strikes your fancy. I varied the combination to make them uneven and disheveled:D.

Using the ends you got from the tentacles, sow the 8 tentacles to the "stuffing"-filled head (i.e. whatever you've got around you; I had cotton) at relatively equal intervals or completely random intervals, again, as it strikes your fancy.

That's it! Looks complicated, huh?! Well, I was flying by the seat of my bloomers the whole time so it can't have been that hard. And pirates don't like rules, right? (Example: You say "It just needs to wrap around the neck and be more-or-less flat." and my octo says:"Pick one, you can't have both!")

Casting on of octo-head
Casting on of a tentacly-curly thingy
In progress - tangled
Smile for the camera
Victim shot
And second victim shot (the first one got away!)

Done:

Prize order: octoscarf, herd and tools.

So, that's the scarf done; as soon as I come up with a name for her, she's coming to work with me so that the kids can see what I've been doing lately. I might even get ordered to do a fleet of 'em.

Edit to add: [In the pattern, I forgot about the connecting ring, that ties the octoscarf around the neck, which I made as follows: chain until double the lenght I needed, check that it goes around all legs and leaves a little space, connect into circle, simple crochet around, going through both loops; if you want it to be thicker, simple crochet around once more and then bind off. Use the thread to sow to either base, middle or top of head, as you wish. I tried all three and left it on top in the end. ]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Annablue6 at Mar 15, 2011 2:57:32 PM]
[Mar 15, 2011 10:05:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Topsail of Viridian's Inktoscarf

The fact that octopuses (octopi? octopods?) shoot out ink has always fascination me so...

Thus, (drum roll...) the fabulous inky scarf!!!

At least, I think it looks like ink. When I starting thinking about the possibility of it looking like the tentacles of a ringer's octopus, I asked my grandma-and-sponser what it looked like, and she said seaweed. So, if when you vote for me you can tell me what it looks like.

Here's the inkto-pics. :)

(Does it matter that my action shots don't have a sign that says my name etc. on it? O_O)

Pictures:

Casting on:

Halfway done:

Details:

Finished!:

Action shot:

:D

Pattern: Ruffles by Amanda Blair Brown

Stich Guide:

Wrap and Turn (w&t): Slip next stitch to right needle as if to purl, bring yarn between needles (not over, between), return slipped stitch to left needle, bring yarn back between the needles, turn work-- one stitch wrapped.

Kint wrap and wrapped stitch together (kwtog): Insert tip of right needle under the wrap as if to knit, then into the wrapped stitch, and knit both loops together (the wrap and the stitch).

Scarf:
Cast on 22 stitches. Work setup row as follows: Slip one as if to knit (kwise) with yarn in back (wyib), knit 10, purl 11. Change to pattern and work as follows:

Row 1: Sl 1 kwise wyib, k8, w&t, purl to end.
Row 2: Sl 1 kwise wyib, k6, w&t, purl to end.
Row 2: Sl 1 kwise wyib, k4, w&t, purl to end.
Row 3: Sl 1 kwise wyib, k4, (kwtog, k1) 3 times, purl to end.
Repeat rows 1-4 until piece measures 86" (218.5 cm) along the unruffled centerline, or desired length. BO all stitches.

Weave in loose ends, block tightly.

Needles: Size 6 (4 mm)
Yarn: They say use Classic Elite Premeire, 4 skeins (108 yd) I used something about the same weight from Knitpicks.

Gauge: 20 sts and 34 rows = 4" (10 cm)

Prize preference:

Blue octopus :)
The Herd
Tools of the Trade

Thanks, Tilinka! :)

P.S. It also says you can make each side of the ruffle a different color for a neat idea. Maybe for a future familiar knit*-along?

*You could crochet too, but not this pattern. :)
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Edit 3 times, last edit by CillisC123 at Mar 15, 2011 5:02:52 PM]
[Mar 15, 2011 4:36:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

um...you need to set your photobucket account to public - cannot view your pics without a login.....and I really want to see it! :D

oh! or include the images in your post (if they're not too large) using the Image button above.
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Mar 15, 2011 4:52:01 PM]
[Mar 15, 2011 4:51:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Fixed! :D

Wait; did it work?
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CillisC123 at Mar 15, 2011 5:04:00 PM]
[Mar 15, 2011 5:03:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Maybe just put in links to the pictures? If I right-click and load, I pull them up.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Mar 15, 2011 5:21:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Wait; did it work?

Nope. :(

Still can't see the images.

Make sure the [img] tags are lower case, not [IMG]. I know that can mess things up. Hope you can get them fixed. PM me if there is anything I can do to help.
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 15, 2011 5:51:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

OK, will try to fix them in a bit, (busy right now)

Thanks guys O_o

Edit:
Try this: http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n585/CillisA123/
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by CillisC123 at Mar 15, 2011 6:22:36 PM]
[Mar 15, 2011 5:59:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karenna

Kecapmanis Viridian

I made up my own fair isle pattern for the octopus ends which i have included drawn on graph paper, then incorporated it into a striped scarf with eight purple stripes of varying thickness.

My ideal octo colour would be magenta, gold or white (not that I expect to win lol )

Casting on pic

hand drawn pattern for octo

in progress

close up of detail

Kecapmanis on Viridian! Avatar by Ellenya! =)
[Mar 15, 2011 6:30:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates